Testing a Theory
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 8

“You don’t remember anything from yesterday?” Clark’s voice slightly wavered as he looked back at Lois expectantly. His mind continued to replay the events of the evening, feeling a hard punch to the gut as realization began to hit him. Something had been amiss with her on the drive back to the prison. He’d completely forgotten about it after she’d launched herself at him and drug him into the backseat of the Jeep. Guilt washed over him as the gravity of what had happened hit him. How had he missed it?

Lois held an icepack to her head, lying on the bed as she massaged her temples. “Bits and pieces. The last thing I really remember was getting kicked out of the prison by Warden Baker.” Her face tensed with a look of distaste as she slowly sat up. “And a few other things throughout the day,” she gave him a wicked grin.

He hung his head in disbelief, “Lois, I’m so sorry. I swear I never would have …"

Lois shook her head, “Clark, don’t you dare try and blame yourself for this. It’s not your fault. Believe me, I know if you thought something was wrong I’d have woken up at the hospital.” She placed a hand on his and a determined expression crossed her face, “We just need to figure out what happened and…” she grimaced as she sat up, letting out a ragged breath. “Boy, this brings back memories.”

“Memories?” He inquired, uncertain what she was referring to.

“Miranda and that pheromone stuff she sprayed everyone with,” Lois recalled, attempting to sit up on the couch.

“Easy,” he gave her his hand to help her when she placed her feet on the ground and attempted to stand up.

“Just a little unsteady,” she gave him a weak smile and grasped his hand for support then placed her other hand on his shoulder. She allowed her smile to spread across her face and she leaned in to kiss him, “Thanks.”

“You sure you’re going to be okay to go into the office today?” He asked as she stepped away from him.

“Nothing a few aspirin won’t cure,” she reassured him, heading toward the bathroom. “I’ll be damned if I’ll let a little inconvenience like getting drugged with God-knows-what keep me from solving this case.”

Clark watched Lois close the door to the bathroom then began moving through the townhome at super-speed, recalling the old case she’d referenced earlier. ‘Pheromones.’

Cat allowed a scowl to cross her face as she prepared for her day. Neither Lois or Clark had returned to the office yesterday. No one had spotted Superman either until just after nine when he was seen patrolling Hobb’s Bay. So far everything she’d tried to prove her theory that Clark Kent and the Man of Steel were one and the same was resulting in more pain than it was worth. She was right, but proving it was proving to be more difficult.

The image of her cousin’s face when she’d visited her in the infirmary ran through her mind, and she shook her head in disgust. Sam had obviously gotten herself into trouble again. She glanced at the small box on the table in front of her. The mysterious package she’d been given told her nothing. She’d requested an analysis by STAR Labs yesterday but didn’t hear back until this morning.

Cat looked over the report she’d gotten back from STAR Labs. The report results read, ‘Not of Earthly origin. Periodic element 126.’ In parenthesis, there was a note with a question mark, ‘Kryptonite element?’ Then the test results showed that the tested rock emitted an extremely high band radiation that was similar to that of Kryptonite. A note at the bottom read, ‘See Dr. Klein. Possible new Kryptonite element.’

She recalled the rumors of different versions of the meteorite being found a few years ago. It appeared those rumors were correct and she was looking at red kryptonite. She stared at the bottle of perfume she’d used the day before and dropped a single chip of the meteorite inside. She had yet to prove her theory, but she wouldn’t make the same mistake twice. She had to keep Clark in a controlled environment so she could see for sure what the results were. Once she had the evidence she needed she would confront them with the truth.

“You don’t know that,” Clark argued, following Lois into the lobby of STAR Labs. “It could just be a coincidence.”

“It’s a coincidence that I have that witch’s brew in my system after how long of it being locked up for four years?” Lois challenged, the octave of her voice growing with each word. “I’m telling you this is all connected! It all started the minute Cat Grant waltzed back into our lives.”

Clark sighed, crossing his arms as he met her hysteric notions with a calm tone, “Okay let’s say for argument’s sake that you’re right and Cat is behind everything. Which for the record, I don’t believe.” Lois opened her mouth to argue, and he added, “What’s the reason, Lois? What could she possibly have to gain from any of this?”

“I don’t know,” Lois frowned. Her shoulders slumped into defeat, and she added, “Look, I know it sounds far-fetched but just go with me on this. When did all of this start? The weird things going on at the office. The pranks. Then the dead bodies showing up left and right at the prison. It’s all connected!”

“You can’t possibly think Cat Grant is responsible for conspiracy to commit murder,” Clark challenged with a light laugh. “Come on, I know you two have your differences but that’s a stretch even for you.”

“Got any better theories?” Lois challenged.

“Sure, your favorite Warden is covering up his tracks, and you’re threatened by Cat.”

Lois crossed her arms in mock defiance. “I am not threatened by Cat Grant.”

“Annoyed. Bothered. Miffed. Irked. Upset…” He began to ramble off the terms one by one, letting out a light chuckle when she gave him a threatening glare. “You didn’t start suspecting her until you found out who she’s related to. I still think there’s more to the story than meets the eye but it’s not a murder conspiracy.”

“Fine,” Lois grumbled, “Just be prepared to hear ‘I told you so’ when I prove you wrong.”

Jerry eyed the corner of the yard warily, uncertain of what to expect. He’d been assured of his release by Agent Rollins, but so far nothing had happened. Morgan continued to ask about what kind of product he wanted from the boss. He wasn’t sure what to tell him. Was he still undercover? What if he was able to get more information between now and the time of his release?

A flood of emotions washed through him as he steadied himself. He wanted to finish this case. At the same time, he loathed being back behind bars where he knew there was only so much the police could do to protect him.

A hard blow came across his face, and he groaned in agony, turning around to search for the perpetrator and make him pay. He gasped in surprise when he found himself face to face with none other than Bill Church Jr.

“No,” the answer came before Lois could even get her question out.

“You didn’t even know what I was going to ask!” Lois argued, glaring at Detective Wolfe in surprise.

“Whatever it is it can’t be good.” Wolfe retorted, pointing to the clock behind her. “My shift ends in half an hour, and I’m really not wanting to charge into a situation where Superman has to be called, and I’m stuck here doing paperwork for the next three hours.”

Lois caught the half smirk that crossed her husband’s face and glared at him, shooting daggers. Clark quickly piped in trying to ease the tension between the two of them, “Every favor does not equate to Superman having to be called.”

“Mr. Gadget, Professor Cole, and your friendly assassin neighbors…” Wolfe snapped his fingers, “Oh, and your realtor friend that turned out to be an alien from another planet which resulted in the world being taken hostage by Nor and his vigilantes of super-powered thugs.”

“How exactly was any of that our fault?” Lois challenged.

“You came in here promising a real quick favor every single time.” Wolfe pointed out.

“Fine, you made your point. We make your job so hard by making you look into crime.” Lois rolled her eyes at him.

Clark sighed, placing a hand on her shoulders as he spoke, “I understand your hesitation, and I can appreciate your wanting to get home.” He glanced at Lois, “We both can, but this really is a quick favor. We just need to take a look at the case file and then…”

“You know we won’t leave until we get the information so you might as well just give it to us now.” Lois interrupted.

Wolfe glanced at Clark who was standing behind her, silent throughout the banter between them. He then turned back to Lois who was glaring at him with a scowl. He let out a groan and muttered, “I must have a death wish or something.”

Lois grinned happily as the detective moved behind his desk and logged in. “What case am I looking up?”

“The case against Miranda…oh, what’s her name?” Lois looked at Clark for help, but he just shrugged. “The Pheromone lady.”

“Oh, yeah, I know who you’re talking about.” Wolfe nodded, as he typed in the search query. “Kind of an old case for you two.”

“We’re following up on something,” Clark explained.

Wolfe printed off a ticket and handed it to them. “Here. Go see Hank, and he’ll show you where everything is.”

“Thank you,” Lois said smugly, grabbing the ticket from him before he could change his mind.

From a distance, Barry Dunning stood with his crew, keeping the camera focused on the couple as they walked through the police station with Detective Wolfe. “You sure we’re not going to get in any trouble for this, Barr?” Mike inquired as he allowed the camera to follow.

“We have our orders.” Barry reminded him. “You really want to get on McCoy’s bad side?”

“No, but man this is more than just chasing down a lead. What’s the point in all this?” Mike asked.

“I don’t know.” Barry frowned.

“Camera’s not going to get any further in without drawing attention to ourselves,” Mike commented with a frown.

“We’ll wait here,” Barry instructed. “They have to come out this way anyway.”

“You’re the boss.”

“Storage locker 931826.” the clerk said, setting the box down on a table. Lois nodded to him, watching him leave before she opened the box. Clark’s hand moved to stop her, “Are you sure that’s a good idea?”

“You have any better ideas?” Lois asked, arching an eyebrow.

He sighed, lowering his glasses and staring at the box in front of them for a long moment. “Everything’s double bagged. It should be okay.” He lifted the top of the box and Lois pulled out the file jacket on top, sifting through it as Clark searched through the box. She frowned when she came across the last page in the case report. “That can’t be good.”

“What?” Clark asked, looking over her shoulder.

“The last page to the case report is missing.” Lois pointed out where it had been torn.

“That’s not all that’s missing.” Clark held up an empty bag with the label, ‘Revenge.’

“Now do you believe me?” Lois asked. She frowned when she saw a familiar faraway expression cross his face. “What is it?”

“Prison riot.” He leaned in to kiss her before disappearing into a blur, leaving her alone in the room with what was left of the evidence in the pheromone case against Miranda.

The clerk approached, frowning as he looked behind him. “Strange weather we’re having here.”

“Yes, it is.” Lois agreed, pasting on a smile, “So, tell me do you keep records of who reviews the evidence in cases.”

“Sure do,” He busted his chest out proudly. “I keep the records myself.” He grew thoughtful. “You’re actually the second person to ask about this case this week.”

“Really?” Lois did her best to play innocent, “And who was the other?”

“It was a reporter…from the, uh,” His face scrunched up for a moment as he tried to recall the name.

“The Daily Planet?” Lois prompted.

He shook his head, “No, no, that’s not it. The, uh,” He pulled out a memo sized notepad from his pocket to look. “Ah, here we are. The Planet. C. Grand.”

“C. Grand?” Lois’ eyes narrowed. “Are you sure that’s not Grant?”

He peered at the writing on his notepad and chuckled, “When you get to be my age it’s hard to read your own writing. C. Grant. Real Doll. Nice…uh…smile.” He grinned with a slight blush on his cheeks.

Lois did her best not to react and smiled back at him, “Well, thank you, Hank, you’ve been very helpful.”

“No problem, Ms. Lane. Let me know if you need anything else.”

“What the hell, man?” Jerry scowled, holding his face as he stared back at the former head of Intergang. Church’s face tensed into a look of distaste as he circled around Jerry, seeming to size him up. A foot away, Morgan stood by, watching with a dark look in his eyes.

“I try to do my research on the new guys, understand why they’re here,” Church remarked, taking a step toward him. He grabbed him by the collar and snarled, “But you don’t have a file. Why is that?”

“I…I…”

An alarm sounded, and the doors to the entire block’s prison doors opened. Jerry heard a loud thud just before everything went dark.

Lois exited the police station and made her way to the parking garage where she’d parked. C. Grant. Only one person’s name came to mind. Given the clerk’s behavior when mentioning C. Grant, she was pretty sure he meant Cat. Still, she needed a little more proof.

She clicked the unlock button on her keyless entry remote. A soft chirp could be heard as she reached for the handle to her car door. She climbed in and closed the door behind her then reached for the mobile phone in her purse, dialing the number she knew by heart.

A few rings later and a familiar voice came on the line, “Daily Planet, James Olsen.”

“Jimmy, it’s Lois. I need you to do me a favor…”

A setup.

Clark did his best not to react as he listened to Agent Rollins recite the protocol on national security and the need to keep Jerry White’s identity as an undercover agent for the FBI protected. That was why a prison riot had erupted at Metropolis Men’s Penitentiary.

That was why there were fifteen men in the infirmary and two guards injured.

A setup.

He shifted his gaze toward Jerry who was none too pleased with the situation either.

“I was getting close,” Jerry remarked in disgust. “I was getting close and you…”

“I did what I had to do to get the job done. End of story.” Rollins responded.

Lois pulled into her parking spot at the Daily Planet’s parking garage, determination covering her features as she prepared mentally for the confrontation that was about to ensue. She’d had Jimmy pull Cat Grant’s phone logs at the Daily Planet and found she’d been in contact with STAR Labs. According to the weekly report she was supposed to be covering the arrival of President Garner on Thursday to campaign his re-run of a presidency and cover the victory party for Congressman Harrington. There was nothing that warranted her being in contact with STAR Labs.

She gathered her things and turned to lock the car when she felt two hands cover her eyes, “Guess who?” she heard her husband’s voice ask.

A smile spread across her face, and she reached for his hands to remove them, looking back at him. “That didn’t take long.”

“Yeah, it was really peculiar,” he said, walking with her toward the exit of the parking garage. “Did you know Perry’s son was working undercover?”

“What?!” Lois looked back at him in surprise.

“Yeah, apparently he was a part of a sting operation. I don’t have the specifics, but it may be worth talking to him in regards to Warden Ba—” Clark stopped mid-sentence as they approached the entry to the Daily Planet.

“What?” Lois looked at him with a perplexed expression.

“Just a minute.” He held up his index finger and looked behind them, walking backwards and lowering his glasses until he found what he was looking for…or who he was looking for.

“Clark?” She called after him.

He turned back to her, motioning for her to stay where she was. He took a few more steps back until he stopped in front of the column of the entryway just beside the garden of azalea bushes that had been planted. He narrowed his gaze at the bushes and turned, reaching behind the bush and erecting two unwelcome bodies from it.

“You have got to be kidding me!” Lois let out a disgusted grunt.

“Hey!” Barry called out, “We were rolling!”

“Not anymore!” Clark spat out in an intimidating tone that mirrored the sternness he gave criminals as Superman.

“Easy, man!” Mike admonished as Clark threw him to the ground, turning his attention to Barry who was attempting to make a run for it.

“Oh, no you don’t!” Clark pushed him up against the brick wall behind them, holding him in place with his arm across Barry’s chest, staring him down as he hissed out, “Exactly what about the words ‘harassment’ and ‘lawsuit’ don’t you understand?”

“Camera!” Barry called out to Mike. “Keep it rolling!”

“I can’t get it to turn on!” Mike fumed, jamming his thumb on the camera. “It’s stuck!”

“Oh, for the love of…” Barry groaned angrily.

Lois had to suppress a laugh when she saw her husband holding Barry Dunning against the wall outside the entry wall of the Daily Planet. His arm laid across the would-be reporter’s chest, pinning him in place. “That’s the volume button,” Lois said, offering a helpful snippet and grinning when Mike looked at her with an embarrassed expression.

“Oh.”

“Mind telling us what exactly you’re doing squatting in the bushes like a cat burglar?” Clark inquired. His face was a mere two inches away from Barry’s making the inquisition of the paparazzi more intimidating.

“It’s a free country!” Barry spat out. “I can cover my stories, however, I good well please!”

“As long as it doesn’t require things like harassment and invasion of privacy you’d be right.” Clark retorted angrily.

“How about ‘free press’ and ‘first amendment’?” Barry spat back smugly.

“Last I checked the first amendment still allowed protection against harassment!” Clark growled staring Barry in the eyes with a cold stare.

“Hey, I got it!” Mike grinned happily at his camera.

“Great!” Barry groaned with an eye roll. “Turn it on!”

“You call it harassment I call it reporting. Potato potatah.” Barry shrugged, turning his attention back to Clark.

“Says, you. I think there’re plenty of judges that would disagree.” Clark challenged.

“Oh, no, the battery’s dead.” Mike groaned.

“Such bad luck,” Lois commented, crossing her arms across her chest. “Maybe you should be more careful with your things.”

“I swear to God, Mike, you’re killing me!” Barry shot back.

“I’m sorry, Barry! I thought I had the backup attached.” Mike insisted, looking at the camera again. “Hey, the tape is missing!”

“Of course it is,” Barry groaned, turning back to Clark. “You really want to go that route be my guest, Kent. I will have it thrown out in a matter of seconds. I have a close, personal relationship with a lot of the judicial court in New Troy.”

“Because you get sued that much?” Lois prompted, patting her purse tightly where she’d deposited the tape that had fallen on the ground earlier. She did her best to keep it out of sight as she watched Clark continue to confront Barry Dunning. She was used to seeing Clark confront people as Superman but he usually kept his cool as ‘Clark.’ Apparently, he was making an exception in this instance.

“I don’t get sued, Ms. Lane. I stay within the letter of the law.”

Lois couldn’t help but laugh at that remark, “And what law is that? Paparazzi 101?”

“And you’ve never pushed the envelope for a lead?” Barry challenged, staring back at the two of them with a smirk.

“We chase criminals. There’s a difference.” Lois sniffed.

“I swear I had it!” Mike insisted.

“Oh, I’m sure!” Barry feigned support and scoffed. “You chase criminals and get the big headlines, and I chase scandals.”

“Except there is no scandal for you to chase. All there is is a creepy guy with his camera crew stalking and harassing my wife and me in our place of business.” Clark shot back with an icy stare.

“I’ll be the judge of that,” Barry sniffed.

Mike then turned his anger toward Clark who was still holding Barry against the wall with a threatening stare, “You can’t just toss this equipment around. It’s expensive! What if you’d broken it?”

“I’m sure the Daily Planet would love to buy you a new camera, Mike,” Barry chided with a glint in his eyes. “What with Mr. Kent here slapping it out of your hands on their property and everything.”

“You stay the hell away from Lois and me, or the next thing I slap you with is going to be a lawsuit!” Clark warned in a menacing tone before he threw Barry to the ground.

Barry quickly gathered himself and motioned to Mike, “Come on, let’s get out of here. We have a story to break.”

“Buh-bye!” Lois gave an exaggerated wave as they scurried toward the end of the block with a slight limp in their steps. Lois turned to Clark. “What happened to ‘no comment’?”

“I lost my patience with it,” Clark responded without remorse. “You heard him!” He motioned to the men that were attempting to cross the street. “They don’t care!”

“Well, you were downright scary when you pulled them out of the bushes,” Lois said, approaching him with a half-smile.

“Not enough to make them stop following us,” Clark shook his head in disgust.

“Maybe we can talk to Perry after the staff meeting and see if there’s something Legal can do,” Lois prompted, reaching over to readjust his tie.

“What was that about his cameraman’s tape missing? I was very careful when I tossed him.” Clark shook his head.

“You were. I wasn’t.” Lois said, pulling the camera’s tape from her purse.

“You swiped it?” Clark chuckled.

She leaned in to kiss him and grinned, “Love you too.”

Cat Grant watched out of the corner of her eye as Lois and Clark made their way to their respective desks. Her gaze shifted to the file in her hand. She’d swiped it earlier when both Lois and Clark had been out of the office and spritzed it with the red kryptonite infused perfume.

The report she had found on Jimmy Olsen’s computer said red kryptonite was suspected to affect Superman mentally whereas green Kryptonite affected him physically. She bit back the surge of guilt that washed over her as she recalled tricking the young man into helping her with her computer while she mirrored his desktop. A simple hacker trick her ex-husband had taught her years ago.

All she had to do was set the file she’d spritzed with red kryptonite and Revenge on Clark’s desk. Once he opened it up and got a good whiff, she could observe the effects and finally have her proof.

‘Here goes nothing,’ she thought to herself, steadying herself as she carried the file in her hand across the aisle that led to the City Section of the bullpen where Clark Kent’s desk was.

“Hey, Cat!” Ralph waltzed up behind her, bumping into her just as Jimmy approached with a stack of files in his hand. She let out a muttered curse as she watched the file fly from her hand and into the pile of files that had fallen to the ground.

“Ralph, look what you did!” She accused, pouncing on her unsuspecting colleague with more force than was needed.

She watched in dismay as Jimmy attempted to grab the files that had fallen, muttering under his breath about his dumb luck. She’d almost given up when she saw Jimmy stop and look at the file folder in his hand, “Huh!” He looked toward Clark and waved him over. “Here’s that file on Warden Baker, CK.”

Cat felt a smile spread across her face when she saw the file exchange hands. A hand waved in front of her and Cat shook her head, “I’m sorry, what?”

“I said are you okay?” Jimmy asked, looking at her curiously. “You spaced out there for a second.”

“Fine, Jimmy, thanks,” Cat said hurriedly, heading back to her desk. She sighed in relief as she watched Clark open the file as he took a seat at his desk. ‘That was close,’

“You and I need to talk,” Lois’ voice came from behind her and Cat turned to face her.

“Pardon?” Cat asked, looking back at her colleague in surprise.

“Conference room, now,” Lois pointed to the empty conference room behind them.

“Sorry, but I’ve got a full plate today,” Cat said hurriedly, glancing toward Clark’s desk where he was sitting down with the file in his hand.

“Full plate?” Lois’ eyes narrowed, “Doing what exactly, Cat? Spilling coffee on colleagues? Arranging for people to fall and trip for your amusement? Stop me when I’m getting warm!”

Cat did her best not to react, “I don’t know what you’re talking about, Lois. Paranoia really doesn’t look good on you. Bad for the complexion.”

“Paranoia?” Lois scoffed, glaring at her with her hands on her hips. “Ever since you’ve come back there are accidents all over the office. Why is that?”

“Accidents?” Cat feigned ignorance.

“And what is it you’re doing with STAR Labs? Last I looked covering the campaigns of politicians didn’t require a lab report!” Lois accused, her voice growing angrier and angrier with each word.

“Did it ever occur to you that maybe I’m working on something other than gossip?” Cat shot back, her anger and frustrations from the last few days spilling out as she shot back, “You think you’re the only one that can land the front-page stories? Newsflash! I’m back, and I’m here to stay!”

“You’re deflecting,” Lois remarked with a cool expression. “What are you hiding?”

“I’m not hiding anything.” Cat sniffed.

“Nothing?” Lois prompted, her tone full of innocence. “Not even a distant relative that happens to be awaiting trial for conspiracy to commit murder on international leaders of a foreign power?” Lois’ arms crossed her chest as a paper fell to the floor.

Cat glanced at the image on the front. Samantha’s mugshot stared back at her, and she felt a lump in her throat, steadying herself.

“I’m not going to ask again. What are you up to, Cat?”

Cat opened her mouth to respond but stopped when she heard a sneeze from across the aisle. They both turned to see the papers flying across Clark’s desk in a whirlwind effect. Clark was not at his desk but the papers hung in the air for a moment as they ventured down from where they’d been blown.

Cat smirked, “I guess you’re going to tell me that was just the wind?”

Lois’ expression went from shock, anger, and then fear in a matter of seconds, “What did you do?”

William McCoy looked through the jagged footage for the umpteenth time, running a hand across his forehead and wearing a look of disgust. “You call this tailing the subject, Mike?”

“I’m sorry, boss, really,” Mike looked down to his feet, uncertain how to explain the missing tape and their encounter with Kent and Lane.

“You’re sorry?” McCoy scoffed, looking him square in the eye with a threatening glare. “You were given one job. One stinkin’ minute job and this is what you bring me?”

“I can’t keep the tail on them without raising suspicions with Barry. You know how he is.” Mike argued. “He’s asking a lot of questions, McCoy.”

“Just do your part,” McCoy responded. “I don’t want those two setting foot anywhere in this city without us having footage of it, are we clear?”

Lois slammed the phone down on her desk as she let out a sigh of defeat. She’d left a message with Dr. Klein to let her know if he came across anything out of the ordinary. She wasn’t sure what had happened. One minute Clark had been sitting at his desk and the next he’d been gone. No ‘see you in a few’ or flying signal. Something was definitely wrong, and she had a sinking feeling Cat Grant was behind it. She shot a smoldering glare toward Cat from across the aisle who was wearing a smug expression on her face.

If Lois could prove any of what she’d accused Cat of she’d have had Perry throw the book at her, but she couldn’t. All she had was theories and Cat spinning her accusations into paranoia and insecurities. She had to figure out what Cat was up to but she couldn’t do that with her husband MIA.

“Staff meeting in five!” Perry called from his office, gathering his notepad and walking into the conference room.

‘Crap,’ Lois thought to herself. “How am I supposed to explain this?”

“Explain what?” Cat asked, approaching her with a smug expression. “You keep frowning like that, and you’re going to get wrinkles…or should I say more wrinkles?” An evil grin crossed Cat’s face as she narrowed her eyes at her, “What’s wrong, Lois, Clark keeping you up all night?”

“Don’t you have a congressman or something to harass?” Lois bit back with a glare.

“Report,” Cat corrected. “Just because it’s not the local news doesn’t make it any less important.”

“Of course not,” Clark said from behind them, pulling up a seat next to Lois. She looked over to see his hair was completely windblown from what she could only guess was a flight as Superman. She recalled the reason he’d given for gelling his hair as Superman was to keep his hair from being blown out of place all the time. It was obvious wherever he’d flown he’d forgotten that step.

“Um, hi,” Lois did her best not to react for fear that she’d let on to Cat just how scared she’d been in the last thirty minutes he’d been gone.

“Hi,” His face brightened as he stared back at her, allowing his smile to spread up to his dark eyes that continued to stay locked on her.

She caught a glimpse of his darkened eyes as he stared at her and felt goosebumps rise up on her arms. Normally, she only saw that look at home—definitely not here, at the Planet. ‘God, why does he have to keep looking at me like that?’

“Clark, nice hair,” Cat commented, pulling Lois’ gaze away from the lusting gaze of her husband. He seemed unaffected by Cat’s remark, keeping his gaze on Lois. She reached up and ran a hand through his hair, combing it with her fingers. His hand brushed against her cheek, and she heard Cat mutter, “Get a room.”

“Um, you left quite a…mess earlier,” Lois said, pulling her gaze away from him.

“I needed to get away in a hurry,” he said, running his hand down her shoulder and leaning in to whisper, “Why don’t we get out of here?”

“We have a staff meeting in…” she felt a tightness in her throat when she saw the look in his eyes once more. Before she could finish her statement, his lips captured hers. A hard jolt ran down her spine as her lips parted.

“Lane! Kent!” Perry’s voice bellowed from the conference room, and they pulled apart.

“Right, staff meeting,” Lois said hurriedly standing to her feet.

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube