Testing a Theory
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 7

Lois Lane tapped her hand irritably against the wooden surface of her desk as she stared at the blank screen in front of her. She’d started the same paragraph over and over only to turn around and delete it time and time again. There was something she was missing, but she just couldn’t put her finger on it. A guard at the prison had been murdered within the same week that Randy Goode was killed. That couldn’t be a coincidence.

Then there was the issue with Cat and Samantha Grady. Could there be a connection? At this point, she wasn’t sure what to believe. The Cat Grant she knew many years ago wasn’t someone she’d think capable of a conspiracy to commit murder, but after three years she didn’t know. There was obviously something going on with her and Samantha but what that was and how nefarious it was remained to be unseen.

“Lois?” Jimmy tapped her on the shoulder, pulling her back to the present.

“Hmm?” Lois looked up to see Jimmy looking at her with an annoyed expression. “Sorry, lost in thought.”

Jimmy flashed her a quick smile and pointed to her phone, “Line two.”

“Right,” Lois reached for the handset and answered the phone, “Lois Lane.”

“Ms. Lane, this is Officer Davis over at the Metropolis Men’s Prison. I spoke with Mr. Kent earlier, and he asked to be updated if anything new happened. I tried the cell he gave me but…”

“Yes, yes, I remember,” Lois interrupted. “Clark updated me earlier.”

“I’m not sure how important it is, but I thought he might want to know there was another death this afternoon.” Officer Davis said in a solemn tone.

“Where are you?” Lois asked, already reaching for her things to head out the door.

“Hey, Superman!”

The sound of the boy laughing before the unmistakable odor filled his nostrils was all he could focus on. Clark took a deep breath, wincing when he smelt the faint odor once again. He needed to get out of here and get changed. There was no way he could go back to the Planet with that odor on him.

He spotted the young boy running down the hall and steadied himself to go after him when a cry for help reached his ears.

“We’re not going to make it! Please somebody help!”

Seconds later he was in the air, heading toward the Metropolis Bridge to help the family in distress.

The walls were bleak and covered in the grime and dirt. A few drops of blood could be seen on the cement floor from where Lois stood. She craned her neck around the guards that stood at the entrance of the corridor where the body of the bailiff had been found.

“Ms. Lane, this has yet to become public knowledge,” Warden Baker argued with her, forcing himself between her line of sight. “I can assure you a statement will be released to the press.”

“You’ve already cleaned up the scene of the crime. Who is investigating this death?” Lois challenged, narrowing her eyes at him. “I’d say you’re a bit late on your statement.”

Warden Baker’s eyes narrowed at her and turned to one of the guards behind him, “Officer Davis, won’t you show Ms. Lane out?”

“Of course,” he nodded, pointing toward the exit. “Ms. Lane?”

Samantha held her arm close to her chest, allowing the sling that wrapped around her neck to support the weight of it. She still wasn’t sure what to think of the latest visit she’d had with the mysterious blonde that wanted the strange rock she’d confiscated from Nell Newtrich. She wasn’t sure what the fascination was with the red stones or why she’d been assaulted by that guard the way she had, but she knew she was in trouble. Whatever it was it was better off in someone else’s hands.

There was only one person she could entrust it with.

Three deaths in the last week.

Lois shook her head in disgust as she stuffed her notepad in her purse. She glanced over her shoulder to see Officer Davis behind her as she made her way to the parking lot. “Unbelievable,” she muttered under her breath.

“That’s Baker for you,” Davis responded, following her to the gate that led out to the parking lot where she’d parked. He glanced over his shoulder, “You’ll keep that phone call between us, right, Ms. Lane?”

“Of course,” she reassured him with a smile. “We have a strict policy of not revealing our sources at the Daily Planet.”

Relief washed over his dark features, and he smiled, “Good. I just...can’t afford to lose this job.”

“But you can’t stand by and do nothing when you see something wrong either,” Lois observed aloud. “I get it.”

“London was a good guy. He didn’t deserve this.” Davis remarked. The alarm began to blare in a long hum, growing louder and louder and he looked back toward the prison doors a few feet away. “That’s my cue.”

“Thank you,” Lois replied, watching as he ran back toward the double doors that led to the prison. A frown crossed her features as she stared at the disappearing figure of the officer. Three deaths in the last week could not be a coincidence.

She moved through the gate, walking across the pebbled grounds and to the corner where she’d parked. The familiar figure standing by her Jeep caught her eye. “Finished already?” She asked before scrunching up her nose, catching a whiff from his suit. “What is that?”

“Sorry,” Clark apologized, “I’ve tried just about everything and can’t seem to get the smell out of the suit. I changed, but the smell is still lingering.”

“Have you tried burning it?” Lois asked, half-joking as she unlocked the Jeep.

“Very funny,” he leaned in to kiss her. “What happened with Officer Davis?” He asked, pointing to the prison walls. I saw the note you left at the Planet and came here after Superman stopped an accident on the bridge.”

“I got shut down.” She said, frowning at the prison behind them. At his questioning expression, she elaborated, “A bailiff was found dead in one of the corridors this afternoon. No screams. No cries for help. Just dead. I didn’t even get a look at the corridor’s entrance before Warden Baker showed up trying to forcibly remove me from the property.”

“Sounds like a cover up if I ever heard one,” Clark remarked, opening the door for her and allowing her to step inside. “So what’s the next move?”

“I think a trip to City Hall is in order. Take a look at the records on the place and see what we can find.” Lois said, tapping her fingers on the dashboard, “After you go home and burn whatever it is that smells.”

He let out a light laugh, disappearing into a blur of red and blue and then reappearing in another suit. His hair appeared damp, and the cologne he was wearing was stronger than the amount he usually wore, but the smell that lingered in the air had dissipated. “Better?”

“Much,” she grinned back at him. “Get in.”

Warden Baker watched through his office window as the second reporter to visit the prison in the last hour left the grounds with one of the officers and let out a groan. Keeping up appearances was proving to be more of a problem than he originally anticipated. He looked to the man in his office with a frown, “I thought we had a deal.”

“My team has a tail on these reporters, but given the close relationship they have with Superman it’s a slippery slope,” William McCoy said with a menacing tone. “It’s not my job to clean up your mess.”

“No, but it is your job to keep the boss happy,” Warden Baker reminded him. “Don’t forget who’s running things, McCoy.”

Clark glanced over at Lois, noticing the slight rise in her heart rate as they drove down the long narrow road leading back to New Troy. The Men’s prison was about an hour outside the city, and not many businesses were built along the rural road. Much of the scenery was filled with the leafless trees still covered in snow and ice from the recent storm that had come through last week.

He glanced over at the driver’s seat where Lois was driving. Her knuckles were white from how tightly she was gripping the steering wheel. He reached over to place a hand on her right hand. “Honey, you okay?”

“F-fine,” she stammered out, pressing her foot harder on the gas pedal. “Just ready to get there.”

He could tell from her tone of voice she was lying. “Lois?” He removed his hand and looked at her. Before he could continue his thought, the car jerked off the curb and through the gravel road that led to one of the rarely used rest areas.

“What are you doing?” Clark asked as she pulled into the rest area and jerked the car into a hard stop. He glanced at the dashboard, frowning when he didn’t see any lights indicating car trouble. He knew the car had just been filled up last night and the parking lot was all but deserted minus the abandoned vehicle in the corner with its top rusted through.

“I…” Lois trailed off, unable to finish her thought as she jerked the seatbelt off and jumped out of the car, pacing in front of it and waving her hands in an attempt to fan herself.

Confused, he quickly climbed out of the car to follow her, “Lois?” The temperature had dropped at least ten degrees in the last half hour, and he could see his breath as he called her name. She continued to pace in front of the car, seemingly unaffected by the cold and her lack of jacket in the bitter cold. “Honey, you’ve got to be freezing.”

“I’m fine.” Her voice wavered slightly as she stared down at the ground, “I just need a minute.”

His brow furrowed, catching sight of the slight blush in her cheeks. He approached, placing a hand on her shoulder. He felt her shoulder tense from beneath his palm as she let out a low moan.

“Lois?”

“I’m fine. I’m just…” A possessive growl escaped the back of her throat, and the last thing he remembered was the force of her lips against his.

William McCoy sat at his desk, flipping through the film that Barry Dunning had supplied him of the two reporters that had proven to be a thorn in Intergang’s side for the past three years. A scowl crossed his face when he saw how little he had to offer the boss. No sound bytes. No slip-ups. The footage was hardly usable.

“You call this covering the subject?” He hit the stop button on the screen with the jerk of the remote before throwing it across his desk.

Barry squinted, bracing himself for the verbal lashing McCoy was sure to put on him. “My…my hands are tied at the moment. I can’t…”

“Can’t what?” McCoy challenged, standing up from his desk and slamming his palms against the wooden surface, causing Barry to jump back. “You were given an order. I expect results. No excuses!”

“Ye-yes, sir,” Barry stammered.

“Well?” McCoy stared at him expectantly. “What are you still doing here?”

“Right,” Barry made his way to the exit, slamming the door behind him.

“Idiots. I’m surrounded by insubordinate idiots.” McCoy grumbled to himself.

“I know the feeling,” the sultry tone of a familiar voice echoed on the intercom of his phone.

“Mi-Miss Church!” McCoy stammered, reaching for the handset.

“Don’t bother,”

He turned around to see the young blonde with piercing blue eyes staring at him from the balcony of his office. She moved inside the open door, running her index finger against the leather couch against the corner of his office. “I see you’ve wasted no time moving into Randy’s office, William.”

“Well, business has to be taken care of, right?” McCoy laughed nervously.

“That it does,” she let out an exaggerated sigh, pursing her lips into a tight heart shape before allowing her mouth to relax into a thin line matched with an expression he’d come to know meant trouble for whoever had made the mistake of crossing Mindy Church. “Tell me something, Will, I’m a reasonable person, right?”

“Of course,” he choked out nervously.

“I mean, I give very specific instructions.” She continued.

“Yes, yes you do.” He stammered.

“Then why is it that this woman thinks its okay to double cross me?” She laid a copy of the mugshot of Samantha Grady on his desk.

“I…I don’t understand.” He said, looking at her quizzically.

“Ms. Grady has taken something of mine.” She frowned, crossing her arms over her chest. “I want you to get it back…by any means necessary.” Her eyes narrowed. “And then I want a message sent loud and clear that no one crosses Intergang and lives to tell about it.”

Cat set her things down as she made herself comfortable at her desk. She cast a glance toward the television where the coverage of the hospital opening was being played. She sighed, running a hand through her long auburn locks. She’d done it. Now all she had to do was sit back and wait.

She cast a wary glance to where Lois’ desk was. She caught Jimmy by the arm when he walked by, “Hey Jimmy, where’s Lois?”

“Oh, probably chasing down that lead that came in,” Jimmy shrugged.

“And Clark?” Cat asked curiously.

“Haven’t seen him,” Jimmy said, walking off.

Cat sighed, uncertain how she was going to test her theory if the subject hadn’t come back to the newsroom yet. The phone on her desk rang, and she reached for the handset to answer it, “Cat Grant,”

The car door slammed shut behind him as Clark allowed himself to be pushed back against the leather material of the backseat. He let out a low moan, feeling his wife’s hands move up and down the back of his suit jacket. He wasn’t sure what had started it all he could focus on was the delicious movements of his wife as she moved against him, helping shed him of the grey suit jacket, tossing it toward the front seat.

Her arms slipped around his neck, bringing her entire body into contact with his as she devoured his mouth with hers. His hands searched beneath the cotton material until he found what he was looking for. She moaned her approval. Everything became a blur as he lost himself in her arms.

The world around him stopped on its axis as her body moved against his. The only sound that he could hear was her. She let out a low moan against him as she cried out his name.

Agent Rollins reviewed the information in front of him, ticking his tongue as he stared back at Jerry White. “No one? Not even a lieutenant knows who they’re working for?”

“No one,” Jerry replied solemnly. “The system is set up so that if one falls, the others can keep about their business. Even the toughest guy in here – Bill Church Jr’s most trusted…ally of sorts is in the dark on who is running things.”

“Keep your head down,” Rollins said with a defeated expression. “We’ll be in touch with a plan to pull you out without drawing attention to anything.”

“You’re pulling me off the case already?” Jerry challenged in surprise. “It hasn’t even been a day!”

“The lead’s dead,” Rollins reported. “It happens. Get over it.” He stood up, walking toward the door. “I’ll be in touch.”

“Cat Grant,” Cat laid the identification card out for the guard to inspect. He checked her picture against the image he saw before him then nodded, turning behind him to pick through the bins behind him. “I was told I have a package?”

“Here you go.” He laid an envelope on the counter for her. “Sign here.” He instructed, passing the clipboard to her to sign.

She scribbled her signature on the line and picked up the envelope and walked out of the lobby with a disgruntled expression. She waited until she got back to her car to open the package.

Inside she found a letter and a red stone with an eerie glow to it.

‘Cat,

I hope you can keep this safer than I could.

I can’t trust anyone.

I know you’ll do the right thing.

~Sam’

The next morning, Lois felt the soft drumming against her head begin to grow unbearable. She cradled her head as she moved to sit up for the first time that morning. Two strong arms looped around her waist from behind, “Honey, you all right?”

“My…Ow!” she winced, slamming her eyelids closed when the light hit her pupils too quickly.

“Lois?” Clark’s hand cradled her face, and she let out a groan.

“What time is it?” she groaned, holding her hand across her eyes and massaging her pupils through the lids.

“About five-forty.” He responded.

“Why does my head feel like it's been hit with an anvil? I didn’t drink that much wine last night, did I?” she wondered aloud, hearing the pain echoing from her tone as she spoke.

“Wine?” Clark asked, running his hand down her jawline. “You refused dinner last night. Don’t you remember?”

She let out a low moan, cradling her head before darting to the bathroom as the pain from her head became too much for her. A moment later she felt an ice cold cloth on the back of her neck and sighed her appreciation after she’d finished emptying her stomach.

“Feeling any better?” Clark asked uncertainly.

“Oh, God, what did I do yesterday? My eyes actually hurt,” she complained, letting out a faint laugh.

“You really don’t remember?” Clark looked at her in concern.

“No, I don’t know.” She shook her head. “Right now, all I can focus on is the pain in my head and…” She groaned, feeling another urge to empty her stomach. She was oblivious to the shocked expression on her husband’s face.

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube