Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#280945 06/11/18 10:59 AM
Nan Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I've been lurking on the boards for a while since life has been pretty busy recently. My third mammogram is due in two weeks, and I'm holding my breath until it's done and hopefully comes back clean.

In the meantime, I've done something that I had given up hoping that I would ever get to do.

When I was a teenager, one of the big ambitions of my life was to learn to fly, but we never had enough money in the budget for me to take flight lessons, so I gave up the hope of ever having the chance to fly a plane,

Last Monday, I realized that long ago ambition. My husband, Chuck, found out from a friend, who is a mechanic at a local flight school, that they do what is called Discovery flights, where someone like me gets to go up with an instructor and handle the controls of a small plane.

I got to taxi it out onto the runway, and when it was in the air Steven, my instructor, handed the controls over to me. We flew over Lake Texoma, and over the city of Sherman. The flight was about 40 minutes, and at the end I was ready to go back because I was beginning to get a little airsick, but it was a thrilling experience. I learned a lot about planes, and flying, and if I ever do it again, I'll remember to take a Dramamine first, but it's something I will never forget.

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Nan #280949 06/11/18 09:40 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nan! So glad to hear from you! I pray the mammogram is clear!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nan #280957 06/12/18 01:10 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hi Nan!

Good luck on the mammogram, and congratulations on the flight! My dad had a pilot's license for a brief time, and it was always exciting to go up with him.

I'm glad you got to have that experience, and that it lived up to what you were hoping for!

"HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE." -Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard