You know how it goes, I heard a radio ad, which reminded me of a TV series which sparked an idea. Now I'm inflicting it on you, should you choose to accept.

Clark's secret is usually all or nothing. In the series, only his family and eventually, Lois, knows. In Utopia, everyone knows. The government is either neutral or out to dissect him like a frog. Is there a middle ground? Is there a middle ground that doesn't destroy Clark's life?

Suppose that Bureau 39 had an idealogical defector. A member of the team who was already troubled by Trask and the Bureau's methods and who saw something that the others didn't when they visited the Kent farm in the 1960's. Maybe he saw the Kent's devotion to a certain baby and decided to approach the Kents with an offer of help on his own when he finally disentangled himself from the Trask show. He is someone the Kents can reach out to when Clark starts exhibiting powers.

Suppose we call this man "Oscar Goldman" and Oscar helps Clark create an identity where he can use his powers to help and have the backing and support of the government. People in the government believe that Clark's abilities are the result of surgical reconstruction and enhancement and only a select few know the real story. What if Clark goes by "Steve Austin" in his government agent persona.

For those of you not familiar, Steve Austin was the Six Million Dollar man and Oscar Goldman was his mentor.

Shallowford