Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#280492 05/17/18 01:26 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So, I actually had this idea over Mother's Day weekend, before Val posted her take on the Mother's Day Challenge. I was away and didn't get to tackle it until after Val posted hers. It took me longer than I would have liked as the infertility stuff hits home for me (mom of IVF twins after "only" 2.5 years of trying).

It's impossible for me to forget that for some, Mother's Day is far from joyous.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
What a touching story.

Joan

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This was so sad and beautiful! mecry

One thing confuses me, though: Your disclaimer mentioned Batman? Where did anything Batman-related figure in?

~•~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by scifiJoan
What a touching story.

Joan

Thanks for reading, Joan! smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Queen of the Capes
This was so sad and beautiful! mecry

One thing confuses me, though: Your disclaimer mentioned Batman? Where did anything Batman-related figure in?

Thanks, Queenie! And whoops! My cut/paste job on my disclaimer got a little away from me there. Stole that from the Batman trilogy I have going. lol

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
Thanks, Queenie! And whoops! My cut/paste job on my disclaimer got a little away from me there. Stole that from the Batman trilogy I have going. lol

Ah. But Darn, I was hoping it was a subtle hint of a sequel. wink

~•~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Queen of the Capes
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram

Ah. But Darn, I was hoping it was a subtle hint of a sequel. wink

The babies are really Batsy's?? shock

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Kerth
Kerth
Haha, I needed the Batman comments above to lighten things up for me. lol

This was an incredibly powerful and moving story. So many tears I can't even get into it. But it was touching and beautiful. When you gave them twins I smiled and immediately thought of your girls. smile Very sweet touch. Brava!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Mouserocks
Haha, I needed the Batman comments above to lighten things up for me. lol

This was an incredibly powerful and moving story. So many tears I can't even get into it. But it was touching and beautiful. When you gave them twins I smiled and immediately thought of your girls. smile Very sweet touch. Brava!

Haha, glad the Batman stuff lightened the mood. smile

I guess I should have put out tissues with this fic. But I'm glad it moved you. And yes, had to throw in twins there. Not only did I need to tip the hat to my girls, but I think I REALLY owed Lois one after all I put her through in this story. laugh

Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
What an absolutely beautiful story. I was quite moved.
Lois’s remembrances of Ellen Lane ring so true, being such a mix of childish resentment and adult understanding: one is drawn into the telling and really feels, both for Ellen and for Lois, and understanding both their POV. Wonderful, wonderful writing and insightful psychology.
As for the rest of the story, Lois experiencing non-motherhood, it’s emotionally wrenching and hopeless and still, being Lois she is fighting fate as she can, with Clark’s love and support. Both their disappointments (miscarriage and failed adoption) were strokes of fate that the reader empathizes with, and suffers with them.
Your powerful, delicate, compassionate, colored writing made this trip towards hope and fulfilment a beautiful and significant one. Thank you for writing this story.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Millefeuilles
What an absolutely beautiful story. I was quite moved.
Lois’s remembrances of Ellen Lane ring so true, being such a mix of childish resentment and adult understanding: one is drawn into the telling and really feels, both for Ellen and for Lois, and understanding both their POV. Wonderful, wonderful writing and insightful psychology.
As for the rest of the story, Lois experiencing non-motherhood, it’s emotionally wrenching and hopeless and still, being Lois she is fighting fate as she can, with Clark’s love and support. Both their disappointments (miscarriage and failed adoption) were strokes of fate that the reader empathizes with, and suffers with them.
Your powerful, delicate, compassionate, colored writing made this trip towards hope and fulfilment a beautiful and significant one. Thank you for writing this story.

blush

Wow, thank you for the kind words about the story. I'm glad it rings true for you - we open see things clearer with adult eyes than we ever could as kids (sometimes for the better, but not always). And I do see a lot of hope for repaired relationships - both Sam/Lois AND Ellen/Lois - by the end of the series that Lois would definitely be looking back on things with a much clearer head and a willingness to be more open minded.

The rest...I think it's hard not to feel for someone who so desperately wants a child and faces disappointment, no matter where that disappointment comes from. Even if we can't imagine the level of pain they are in because we haven't been in their shoes, it hurts our hearts too. Personally, I haven't experienced adoption loss or a miscarriage, but, I've seen friends and family experience lost pregnancies, adoption ineligibility, infertility, and yes, one friend who experienced infant loss (we met after her loss). Each one has torn fresh wounds in my heart.

I'm glad you came away hopeful from the story. My intention was exactly that - that even though Lois and Clark have gone through these terrible things, and regardless of if they have ten babies or no babies, they've stuck by each other and come out all the stronger for surviving such dark times together.

Thank you for taking the time to read the story. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
This story is heartbreaking. I was actually not expecting it to have a happy ending. Thankfully, I can't relate to the second half personally, but I have a lot of friends and family who have struggled with infertility and miscarriages. I can relate to some of the first part, though, even though I have a pretty good mom. This section in particular:

It wasn’t like Mom and I had ever been exceptionally close. As far as mothers and daughter went, we didn’t share the kind of bond that most people seemed to have. Mushy cards that waxed poetic about how “Mom, you’ve taught me so much and I appreciate all the little things you did to make my childhood magical” just didn’t ring true for me. We didn’t have fun mother/daughter lunch date or shopping trips or pampering days where we went out and got pedicures together.
I just can't relate to people who have a close relationship with their mom. I don't understand the desire to go hang out with one's mom or be mushy and emotionally demonstrative. I have never felt comfortable confiding in my mom. I think I'm developing a closer relationship with my kids, though. We'll see how the teenage years go and whether that lasts.

Great. Now I'm maudlin. Well, off to read some fluff!

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by mrsMxyzptlk
This story is heartbreaking. I was actually not expecting it to have a happy ending. Thankfully, I can't relate to the second half personally, but I have a lot of friends and family who have struggled with infertility and miscarriages. I can relate to some of the first part, though, even though I have a pretty good mom. This section in particular:

It wasn’t like Mom and I had ever been exceptionally close. As far as mothers and daughter went, we didn’t share the kind of bond that most people seemed to have. Mushy cards that waxed poetic about how “Mom, you’ve taught me so much and I appreciate all the little things you did to make my childhood magical” just didn’t ring true for me. We didn’t have fun mother/daughter lunch date or shopping trips or pampering days where we went out and got pedicures together.
I just can't relate to people who have a close relationship with their mom. I don't understand the desire to go hang out with one's mom or be mushy and emotionally demonstrative. I have never felt comfortable confiding in my mom. I think I'm developing a closer relationship with my kids, though. We'll see how the teenage years go and whether that lasts.

Great. Now I'm maudlin. Well, off to read some fluff!

Haha, I don't blame you for needing fluff after this. I didn't realize when I started this exactly how dark I was about to go. The muse wanders where she will, without or without permission. smile

I'm lucky to have the close mother-daughter bond Lois craves. My mom and I speak pretty much every day (usually via Facetime so she can see the kids). I do know some people who don't have that close of a bond with their moms though. There's always a good reason why and I don't judge that. A close bond with your own kids is super important - but I know what you mean about the teenage years. I have a while to go still before that happens but it's a scary prospect of having emotionally crazed kids!

Thanks for reading! smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
What a beautiful, powerful, heartbreaking story. You brought me to tears.

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by jackiek
What a beautiful, powerful, heartbreaking story. You brought me to tears.

Thank you, Jackie. smile (Hands over tissues)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Beautiful and heartbreaking story Vicki! whinging How is it that both of us ended up taking a waffy challenge and turning it into a heartbreak fic? Oh well huh Great job! Beautifully done.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by folc4evernaday
Beautiful and heartbreaking story Vicki! whinging How is it that both of us ended up taking a waffy challenge and turning it into a heartbreak fic? Oh well huh Great job! Beautifully done.

Thanks, Val! smile

Um, I guess the answer to your question is that we're both very twisted people? huh laugh We certainly DO like to take the fanfic roads less traveled, that's for sure!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard