Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Please? Please? grovel Anything. Any little comment. Please?

The full story can be found here.

Last edited by Sue S.; 05/24/18 09:15 AM. Reason: Added link

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
HELP OUT OF PRACTICE. SEE YOU IN WEEK

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Omg! I’m still in shock. You’re here and you posted a new part!! I just went and reread it all. I just love this story. I’ve been feeling so terrible for Clark and so mad at Lois for being so obtuse but luckily it didn’t last too long. I just loved this part. So sweet and romantic and so Clark. You write them so beautifully. I’m so happy you’re back!!

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
It was worth the wait, Sue! I almost didn't want to read it because I didn't want it to be over! What a fantastic continuation of your amazing story! (And maybe I'll try to write the next sentence without an exclamation mark! <g>)

First of all, Clark fumbling around for his glasses, dropping them, almost stepping on them, then rushing to get dressed, buttoning his shirt up wrong... I was dying. That is so completely, utterly and totally perfect. The most powerful, confident being on Earth reduced to a bumbling wreck because Lois Lane said she loved him. Oh, Clark. Sometimes he just seems so very human, and that's why we love him!

Speaking of perfect, this little snippet of dialogue was, too:

"I have no idea what happens now," she said with a giggle. "Do you?"

Clark quickly shifted his attention to her face. He exhaled his own little laugh from the sheer surreal joy of the moment. Then he shook his head. "We're definitely in uncharted waters here."

Awwww! They are so cute, and nervous, and uncertain, and happy, and so sweet. I think most writers would have jumped right into that life-changing, 'I love you' conversation, but this little pause makes it feel real.

"I—" Clark hesitated, then shook his head. He was too tired to trust himself with sharing a few fantasies. "So what's the favor? You want me to go downstairs and get you a new key card?"

She considered it for a long moment, then shrugged. "I guess if you're jet-lagged then fetching a key card is about as useful as you can be."

He narrowed his eyes in what was only half-mocking irritation and his voice cracked a little as he said, "Useful?"

Lois smirked. "Could you be useful in another way?"

For a long moment neither of them moved. Clark wasn't sure how much of what she was hinting at was simply flirtation, or if maybe she was being earnest and hiding it in a tease. If she was flirting, this was a fun new dimension to their usual banter. If she was in earnest, he was going to have to tell her about Superman. Telling her the truth would definitely ruin this night and the easy, uncomplicated way they were being open about their feelings. He'd seen Lois bluff plenty of times and her current attitude was nearly identical.

Or was it? Her eyes, while bright, also contained a faint flicker of anxiety. An electric tingle blanketed his skin at the possibility that she was in earnest. That was all the reason he needed to pretend it was only flirting.

"I guess we'll never know," he said quietly and reluctantly turned towards the door. Behind him he could hear her pulse ratchet to a rapid, staccato beat.

Good grief, I'm going to end up quoting this whole thing. Seriously. I just have to tell you that I love the way you write dialogue (totally jealous of it, too, not going to lie!), and the way that you weave in these great character moments while they are talking/flirting/testing the waters. I love the way Clark thinks he knows her well enough to know she's bluffing... but then how he second-guesses himself, because, well, they are totally heading into new territory here! He's realizing that he's never had a chance to see this side of her personality before!

Oh, and I was going to tell you that when I got to this part and you had him turn towards the door to leave, my eyes got wide and I went, "Oh, no, you don't! Sue, don't you let him leave that room, darn it!" So glad that Lois asked for that second favor wink

Speaking of which...

She bit her lip, released it, and sucked in a quick breath. "And maybe you could tell me you love me again, just for good measure."

Clark framed her face between his hands and tried to look annoyed. He didn't quite manage it because he couldn't stop smiling. "Anything else?"

"No. That should do it." Lois closed her eyes and her lips parted.

"Hey," he whispered and waited for her eyes to open. When they did his throat tightened a little when he saw she was just as dazed as he was by their new proximity. "I love you."

I loved this. Loved, loved, loved. Lois's bravado was so Lois, and you know she's dying inside and trying not to show it. But Clark's soft 'hey' and him waiting for her to look him in the eyes while he told her he loved her? Dyyyyyyiiinnnnng. That was a great touch!

"How was that?" he murmured when their lips lost contact.

Her brain was still fogged with elation, so all she could think to say was, "S'okay."

"Okay," he echoed in an amused tone. "Admit it. That was a lot better than just okay."

"Maybe it was," she allowed. "Let me think about it."

lol Oh, Lois. You write her so well, Sue. I love it when I can imagine the characters saying/doing things, and this whole exchange just made me smile.

She'd always scoffed at the idea of soulmates, but at this moment she was willing to believe they might actually exist. How else could she explain how perfectly right it felt to be in Clark's arms? The fact that they were in an unfamiliar hotel room didn't change the sense of being home.

This. This is them in a nutshell, the whole reason I love this show.

PS - You write kisses so well, and I'm jealous again. I mean.

"Why? I knew you were in here, and I was willing to wait. I mean, really, I had nowhere else to go except maybe Perry's room." Lois fixed the next button down, biting her lip at the tantalizing glimpse of skin that afforded her. She mentally chided herself that she was doing it wrong. Shouldn't she be trying to undress him instead?

Haha, I had the same thought, Lois. I was rooting for the other way, too. Unbutton from now on, always unbutton.

Her heart fluttered in her chest at the thought of not leaving. The flutter increased as he leaned down to place a kiss in front of her ear. "Stay," he whispered.

Stay. It was so simple. She could stay. Her mouth went dry at the possibilities, acutely aware of the cushy expanse of unmade bed only a few feet behind her. What if she stayed? What would happen? Would they… Oh god! What if they did? She had been only half-kidding before, but that was only because she hadn't thought they would really get this far.

Oh. my. Stay! Yes, stay! Wait, we aren't on the nfic side of things, are we? Darn.

"I think you're shaking, too."

"Wouldn't surprise me." He left a kiss just below her ear, making her shiver again, this time in earnest. "You pretty much always have that effect on me."

"Do I?" she asked breathlessly.

"Yeah." His hands traveled down her arms and found her own, then gently raised them to place a kiss on the back of each of her hands. "Every time you've ever touched me, Lois, it makes me tremble."

"Oh, come on." She rolled her eyes even as his words sent another tremor through her.

"No, really." He kissed each of her palms. "Maybe sometimes it's only on the inside, but I promise it happens."

thud This killed me. But I loved every minute of it.

She didn't just want or need Clark at this moment. The sensation was deeper, richer, and more all-consuming than simple lust or passion. The white hot inevitability of the two of them making love had her dizzy and yet she had never felt this calm and certain. Clark's fingers tightened slightly on her arms and she knew instinctively that he was feeling the same primal pull.

Nevermind. Just kidding. That didn't kill me. This did. I know this story is on this side of the boards. I know. But it might have to migrate over before the end of the story, because I thought my screen burst into flame after this paragraph.

"You know," Lois mused, "this is a pretty big bed." Her hand swooped an invitation over the empty space next to her.

He could feel his cheeks flushing as he paused at the end of the sofa bed. He looked over at Lois again and his resolve weakened a little. They could sleep in the same bed, he told himself. Just sleep. That was all. Just two friends sharing a bed. He could face the other way and it would almost be like she wasn't there at all… Who the heck did he think he was kidding?

"That would be a bad idea," he rasped.

I love when he tries to tell himself that it'd be fine, them sleeping in the same bed. Sure, it'd be no big deal. No problem. And then he's like... Ummm, I'm an idiot, that would be a very, very bad idea. Haha, that's perfect. You've already admitted you're weak when it comes to her, Kent. Give it up.

"Number one?" she repeated with a giggle. "Liar. I bet you say that to all the girls."

"Nope, just you. Definitely number one."

"Maybe you should kiss me again. Just to make sure you're ranking me correctly."

Clark took a deep breath and released it slowly. He'd given anything in the world right now to be kissing her again. "I don't think that's a good idea," he whispered.

Her voice was equally as hushed as she asked, "Why not?"

"You know why not."

He heard her heart rate speed up, and her quick intake of breath. "I would have said 'yes,'" she whispered. "I still would."

Kiss her again, just to be sure he's ranking her correctly. lol Lois, you're terrible. I'm surprised she admitted to him that she would've said yes! Dude. I'm loving that. But good for Clark, doing the right thing. (Although I'm going to vote for an alternate part 9, where he takes her up on her offer. Just to make sure he's ranking her correctly, of course.)

I"m curious to see how he's going to have "the talk" with her about his other job - should be interesting! I love this story, Sue, and I'm so happy that you came back to it. Please don't leave us too long until the next part!

Tracey smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
thud

She’s back!

I cannot believe I wrote you today asking about this story!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Top Banana
Top Banana
It's been AGES since I've been on here... and here Sue has me, reading way past my bedtime!! Better post the next chapter soon!! hyper

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ok, so I haven't read yet. But that's only because I've decided this needs to be done right, so I need to start again at chapter one.
But I will read, as soon as I get through that little thing called work grumble

So just in case it takes me longer than planned to find the chance to drop by: yay, Sue! You're back! clap (I had to check twice to make sure it really was you posting... eek )

Really looking forward to sitting down to read this and hoping this means there's also hope for Lola and her yellow feathers. And Anton... drool

Cris
N
Features Writer
Features Writer
N
Sue! You’re back! And back with a bang jawdrop

Wonderful chapter, and I’m so glad to see Lois finally out of the hallway and tantalising Clark with her lack of pants.

Welcome back smile

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
It’s so awesome to be back! jump My hands were literally shaking as I tried to remember how to post yesterday. dizzy Thank you all so much for being so warm and welcoming! sloppy

Artemis – Yeah, I’m out of practice, too. Hope to catch you later. And I doubly hope that you’ll be passing through again this summer. I think it’s long since time for me to pick up the tab for you and Larry. smile

Jackie – OMG! I missed you! I thought about you all the time back when I was still posting and you were AWOL. I thought about emailing you, but didn’t want you to think/realize that I was working up to stalking you. blush
I’ve been feeling so terrible for Clark and so mad at Lois for being so obtuse but luckily it didn’t last too long.

Lois obtuse? lol Surely not! To be fair, she has a lot to work through – dating a sociopath, crushing on a superhero, feeling like she’s losing her best friend, work pressures, work exploding… I’m willing to cut her a little slack. thumbsup

Tracey – Oooo! Long FDK! :swoon: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
First of all, Clark fumbling around for his glasses, dropping them, almost stepping on them, then rushing to get dressed, buttoning his shirt up wrong... I was dying. That is so completely, utterly and totally perfect. The most powerful, confident being on Earth reduced to a bumbling wreck because Lois Lane said she loved him. Oh, Clark. Sometimes he just seems so very human, and that's why we love him!
For all intents and purposes, he is human (at lease I think he thinks he is) and that’s why I love him. wink

I think most writers would have jumped right into that life-changing, 'I love you' conversation, but this little pause makes it feel real.
In real life we seldom actually skip ahead (however much I sometimes wish people would just come to the frickin’ point already). Plus, I just enjoy hearing them banter in my head. wink

Seriously. I just have to tell you that I love the way you write dialogue (totally jealous of it, too, not going to lie!), and the way that you weave in these great character moments while they are talking/flirting/testing the waters.
Thanks! See above about the voices in my head. laugh

Oh, and I was going to tell you that when I got to this part and you had him turn towards the door to leave, my eyes got wide and I went, "Oh, no, you don't! Sue, don't you let him leave that room, darn it!"
No way in hell I’m letting him leave that room at that point! <heh>

Lois's bravado was so Lois, and you know she's dying inside and trying not to show it. But Clark's soft 'hey' and him waiting for her to look him in the eyes while he told her he loved her? Dyyyyyyiiinnnnng. That was a great touch!
Yeah, I was kinda squiffy on the inside picturing it in my head while writing. Glad to see it had the same effect on someone else. <g>

Haha, I had the same thought, Lois. I was rooting for the other way, too. Unbutton from now on, always unbutton.
Me, too. But we are, as you noted, on the PG side of things. huh

I love when he tries to tell himself that it'd be fine, them sleeping in the same bed. Sure, it'd be no big deal. No problem. And then he's like... Ummm, I'm an idiot, that would be a very, very bad idea. Haha, that's perfect. You've already admitted you're weak when it comes to her, Kent. Give it up.
Not only is he weak, but also he’s just admitted that to her. Inviting him to sleep in the bed, too, is Lois continuing to gamble (and betting that he continues to make level-headed decisions). How long do you think he can hold out? evil

Lois, you're terrible. I'm surprised she admitted to him that she would've said yes! Dude. I'm loving that.
Of course she admitted it! Right now they’re both a little drunk on being able to say what they’re actually thinking. Well, Lois is. Clark is still struggling a bit with telling her the whole truth.

I love this story, Sue, and I'm so happy that you came back to it. Please don't leave us too long until the next part!
Not too long, I hope. Certainly not a couple of years. blush I’m happy to be back and happy that you’re happy with the story. jump

Morgana – Yep. laugh Thank you for all the nudges to get it going again. grovel

Mozartmaid - Staying up late? Pshaw! It’ll still be here in the morning. wink Thanks for reading!

Cris – Hi! So good to see you’re still around! It’s best if you do take the time to read it all again, so I appreciate that you’re willing to do it. I’ll wait patiently (mostly) to hear back. smile
hoping this means there's also hope for Lola and her yellow feathers. And Anton...
I promise that Nice Girl will be back after I get this one finished. I have actually been working on it during my unplanned hiatus. And I’ve spent a lot of time singing “Copacobana” under my breath. Way too much time, really. blush

NostalgiaKick – Thanks! It’s sooooooo good to be back. Poor Lois was in that hallway for far too long.

Thanks again (and again and again) to you all for remembering this story. I'm truly delighted to be home again. I've missed you all! sloppy

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Ides of Metropolis
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Lol I thought about emailing you too but was thinking the same thing! I just realized I never left fdk on the first 8 parts of this one. Probably because I read it after you had already left. I promise I will come back and do it soon. Sooo happy you’re back!

P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
You know, if Superman can be so awkward and endearing, there's hope for the rest of us mortals when we are that way too.

I'm sooo happy to see you Sue! I hope that real life has been treating you well. Welcome home.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Sue is back! Yay! My prayers to the Goddess of Fic were answered...
I'm not commenting right now, because I’m going to relish rereading this awesome fic first, and holding my impatience in check for reading the new part... I'll come back ASAP on this thread.
Sue, I’m very happy you’re back. I do hope RL wasn’t too harsh during your hiatus from the Boards.

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Online Content
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Sue,
Good things come to those who wait. You are always worth the wait. notworthy I am definitely going back to read parts 1-8 again and then have “dessert” by reading part 9 again. I simply cannot convey how good it is to have you posting again. “Saying Goodbye” to part 9 means we get to say “Hello” to part 10.... dance

Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Hi! hyper

Jackie - LOL! We've been ships passing in the night. I'm sooooo happy to see you again. For those who don't know, Jackie will always hold a special place in my heart because she was the first person ever to leave me FDK on this site. grovel You just never forget your first. wink

PuffyTiger - There's definitely hope for us all!

Welcome home.

Those two words actually moved me to tears. Or maybe it's just really dusty in here. Probably dust. Either way, thank you so much! cry sloppy

Millefeuilles - Ha! I'm relieved that it was just prayers and no virgins were sacrificed. wink I'm very happy to be back and even happier to see that you're still here. Yay! wave

SupesFan - Worth a year and half wait? Only Clark would be worth that much time squandered.

I simply cannot convey how good it is to have you posting again.

Thank you! mecry I can't put into words how wonderful it feels to be back, especially with such a warm reception.

Thank you all! I've missed you like crazy! sloppy

Ides of Metropolis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
OMG a new chapter from Sue! Hi, I'm new around here but I'm a big fan (hides). I'm so excited to see this story continuing, I'm completely in love with how you write these two idiots.

Anyway, welcome back!

"HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE." -Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
Features Writer
Features Writer
Yay, you're back! hyper

Okay, I read this chapter, and it's beautiful. If I started to quote it, I'm not sure where I would stop. I love how Clark and Lois are reacting. Clark's fumbling to get out of bed was, so tender and sweet. I wish that had been a scene in the series.

Thanks for the excuse to re-read the story since I'm sure I've forgotten important points. Or maybe I missed them the first time through. laugh Anyway, that's now on my "To Do" list.

Again, welcome back.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Kerth
Kerth
Few things in life give me more pleasure than seeing Sue's name appear on my phone. (For detailed descriptions of some other things, check the naughty side of the boards. devil) Seeing that Sue posted again made my heart leap with joy.

Few things in life give me more pleasure than reading Sue's writing. Seeing this new part prompted me to go back and reread the entire story (along with the special naughty interlude titled "Apollo" that lives on my hard drive drool ). Sue understands Deborah Joy Levine's vision for the show, which results in characterizations in keeping with the way they were drawn that first season. I love her witty banter and sexual tension, but relish the true friendship that is at the base of it all. And because Lois and Clark are friends, it allows this part to shine. They can tease, kiss and touch to demonstrate their feelings for each other, and then verbally probe to find the line that can't yet be crossed. Confessing their love isn't just an excuse to jump in the sack, it's an opportunity to deepen their friendship. It is romantic and funny and hopeful and beautiful. It is Sue in top form.

Few things in life give me more pleasure than being Sue's friend. twins

Susan, who is itching to brush the dust off her hiking boots

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
thud

notworthy

love

I'm not sure I can leave fdk without quoting everything in this chapter, but I'll try. laugh

"Hi!" Lois chirped as she pulled on the hem of the shirt in an ineffective attempt to lengthen it.

"Hi," he managed to reply in a voice that sounded surprisingly normal.

Her eyes narrowed a little as she took in his rumpled appearance. "You're sure I didn't wake you?"

Clark swallowed hard and shook his head. "I wasn't asleep yet."

Lois smiled like she knew better. "Maybe you should ask me inside? Or do you want to do this in the hallway?"
Hallway, bedroom, bathroom, roof of the building. Anywhere, really.

I loved the detail of her tugging on the hem of the t-shirt a few times, trying to get it to grow longer.
"Then I need to ask you for a favor. I, uh, well, in my haste to get over here, I kind of forgot my room key." She looked down, as if to verify that her room key wasn't there. Her cheeks flushed and she gave the hem of the shirt another frantic tug which only stretched the material tighter across her chest. He blushed at the discovery that she wasn't wearing a bra as she added, "Actually, I kind of forgot to get dressed, too."

"Yeah, you, uh, you kinda did," he mumbled.

Lois looked up at him from beneath her lashes, giving him a sheepish grin. "I swear, Clark, I wasn't trying to seduce you by showing up in just your t-shirt."

He couldn't resist teasing her. "You think I'm that easily seduced?"

Lois laughed. "I don't know. Maybe. Are you?" She fluttered her eyelashes for effect and it actually took his breath away.

Clark gave her another once-over, taking his time as he appreciated her legs and the alluring drape of the shirt over her curves. "You're lucky I'm jet-lagged right now."

"Oh yeah?" she scoffed. "If you weren't jet-lagged what would you do?"

"I—" Clark hesitated, then shook his head. He was too tired to trust himself with sharing a few fantasies.
Long quote for this amazing exchange. They are being so open while not completing half of their thoughts to each other, and yet they still know the unspoken parts.

You write these characters with such skill. I feel it inside how Lois needs reassurance by asking for Clark to kiss her and tell her again that he loves her, but as top banana she can't just leave herself as a supplicant. She tells him to wow her. And Clark is so Clark by delivering on each count.

The careful choices you've made to describe their interactions give me such a multi-sensory experience. I can see it and feel it and even smell it sometimes. I live that the kiss was mind bending, that she dissolved into him, that her tongue stroked inquisitively, that she feels unfeigned love.

He really was willing to do anything for her; surely she could show him the same kind of consideration.

"How long was the flight from Hawaii?" Lois studied him, watching closely to gauge just how exhausted he was.

It looked like he had to stifle a yawn before answering, "Twelve hours."

Lois shook her head in wonder. How was he even still standing at this point? "Aren't you tired?"

"Not anymore." His eyebrows rose and fell in a lecherous tease.

"Liar," she playfully pushed his shoulder so that he wobbled slightly on his feet. "If you want me to leave, just say so."

He tightened his arms around her a little, pulling her closer against him. "I don't want you to leave."

Her heart fluttered in her chest at the thought of not leaving. The flutter increased as he leaned down to place a kiss in front of her ear. "Stay," he whispered.

Stay. It was so simple. She could stay. Her mouth went dry at the possibilities, acutely aware of the cushy expanse of unmade bed only a few feet behind her. What if she stayed?
So we went from Lois's sweet compassion and attempt to be considerate of Clark's exhaustion to his tease to the kiss and whispered plea for her to stay. Gulp! Who can resist?

"You make me weak." His whispered words tickled over the inside of her elbow. Every nerve in her body was awake and eager for more. She thought she had experienced desire before. Paul, Claude, and especially Superman had made her yearn for a kiss, or a touch, or maybe something more. But those feelings paled in comparison to this. She didn't just want or need Clark at this moment. The sensation was deeper, richer, and more all-consuming than simple lust or passion. The white hot inevitability of the two of them making love had her dizzy and yet she had never felt this calm and certain. Clark's fingers tightened slightly on her arms and she knew instinctively that he was feeling the same primal pull.
I hope that Lois remembers this confession after Clark tells her (or she finds out) that he is Superman. The fact that she makes him weak is a huge indication of his feelings for her.

Oh, and HOT! Kind of like the looks ("white hot inevitability," indeed) and kisses they gave each other in SoulMates. So much longing and UST that they want to act on NOW!

Poor Clark. Lois deflected all of his efforts to tell her his secret. Loved her confession that she was jealous of his mystery love. I hope she remembers that he tried to tell her about Superman, too. I'm loving how open and happy and free Lois feels with her realization that she loves Clark. I'm not eager to see her get mad.

More soon, please!

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
When you first posted this part, I was so over the moon at seeing you back and posting (still am!!), I’m not sure I was really able to really take in the wonderful-ness that is this part. I mean, I loved it the first time but I’ve reread it countless times now and I appreciate it even more. There are so many gems in this one. Lois running over in such a hurry she doesn’t realize she’s not wearing pants. Clark who can’t help but notice, more than once. His buttons being done up wrong and Lois fixing them for him. Squeal! That kiss!!! Sigh! Lois fishing for compliments. Lol It’s just so full of sexy, sweet moments. You capture them perfectly! I wish I could leave you the feedback you deserve. I’m in awe of your writing and just soak up every word. Unfortunately, writing is not one of my gifts. notworthy

Blogger
Blogger
So glad you are back and continuing this fic. I really enjoy reading your stories.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard