Previously:

In between bites, Lex nodded to her. “Chef Andre has outdone himself tonight, don’t you think?”

“What? Oh, yes. Dinner is amazing.” She picked up her wine glass and sipped it. ‘But what about salad and risotto you made yourself?’ she wanted to ask. ‘What about baking and homemade bread? What about laughing and teasing and doing the dishes together and passionate kisses up against the kitchen counter? What about pizza and a video on a Friday night? What about all that?’

Those nights didn’t happen in the world of Lex Luthor, and the more Lois thought about it, the more she realized that she didn’t want any part of that world. It hadn’t helped, trying to learn more about him; their conversation tonight had only highlighted their differences and reinforced what Lois had already known deep down: she didn’t belong here.

Expensive boarding schools, money, power, pleasure: they were pursuits Lois didn’t understand. She looked over at the urbane, sophisticated man who sat across from her, and it was almost as if she was emerging from a dream. She had nothing in common with this man. She had no desire to spend the rest of her life this way, high atop a penthouse balcony, discussing business politics while drinking insanely expensive wine and eating a meal that she couldn’t even pronounce.

Decisively, she put down her fork. “Lex, we need to talk.”

His lips upturned slightly as he picked up his napkin and dapped at his mouth. “Haven’t we been?”

“No.” She pushed her plate away. “I mean really talk. About us.” She took a deep breath and plunged ahead with what she’d come here to say in the first place: “Lex, I can’t marry you.”

==========
And now, Part 5:

There was a moment of stunned silence at her announcement. She knew it felt out of place; he hadn’t been aware of her thoughts… not to mention, she been the one to initiate their kiss earlier in the evening. She bit her lip, unsure of what to do next. All she wanted to do at this moment was leave, but she forced herself to remain seated and wait for his reaction.

After what seemed like forever, he set his napkin on the table and spoke, his voice measured. “Lois, if this is about what I said earlier –”

“It’s not,” she said quickly. “I’ve thought a lot about your proposal in the last few days. And tonight, I just realized … I can’t accept it. I’m sorry.”

“I see.” He brought a hand to his chin as he regarded her. “I know you think that it’s too soon, but I’m ready. To commit to you utterly and totally, eternally. I am. But if you don’t feel ready, I’ll wait. I’ll admit I’m not used to waiting for anything,” he quirked his lips into something that resembled a smile, “but for you, I’m prepared to bend my rules. We’ll spend some more time together and get to know each other slowly, if that’s what you wish.”

Well… that wasn’t exactly what she’d meant. Now she was going to have to tell him she didn’t want to see him anymore, period. It was like staring into the mouth of a lion. “It’s not just that. I… I don’t think we’re right for each other.”

“Not right? What do you mean?” An edge appeared in the soft, pacifying voice he had been using with her.

“We come from two different words, Lex. We don’t have anything in common. It would never work between us, long-term. I don’t think we should see each other anymore.” She tried to soften the blow with an apologetic smile, but inside, she was already calculating how much longer she had to stay here. She pushed her chair back slightly, bringing her napkin back up to the tabletop, preparing to make a swift exit. “Something about this doesn’t feel right to me. Something is holding me back. I’m sorry.”

His look suddenly hardened to match his voice. “Are you sure it’s something? Not someone?”

She stilled. Caught off guard, she fumbled for a response. “What? I… no – it’s not…”

Lex settled back in his chair, wine glass in hand. His dark eyes were shuttered, boring into her. “How is Clark doing, by the way?”

She couldn’t hide her swift intake of breath. “What?”

He took a sip of his wine, and it was like he was enjoying the way she’d immediately frozen at the sound of Clark’s name. “It’s my network, Lois. Do you really think I don’t know who comes and goes? And when you leave abruptly with your former partner in the middle of the day, do you really think that I don’t know about it? You don’t get to my position in life without being aware. I’m always one step ahead. Knowledge is power, my dear.” He tilted his glass toward her in strange salute and took another sip.

Speechless, she watched as he placed the glass down and leaned forward. His tone changed again, but it wasn’t something Lois had ever heard from him before. This time it was low, laced with a threatening undercurrent. “Though it seems you didn’t finish your little conversation in the park. I’m assuming it was quite important. So important, in fact, that you felt the need to continue it back his apartment later… the same evening that you were too tired to have dinner with me.” He watched her a moment, then dropped his eyes to his plate. His silverware was in his hands, cutting a bite of his dinner when he added, “But a word of advice, if I could? Do be sure the door is properly closed before you fall into his arms.”

She reeled back as the realization of what his words meant slapped her across the face. “You had me followed?”

His voice returned to its conversational tone, though his eyes still held their animosity as he lifted them to her once again. “Metropolis is a dangerous city, Lois. You of all people should know that. And I’m one of its most prominent citizens. There are people out there who wouldn’t hesitate to use you to get me. So, naturally, I check in on you. It’s a safety precaution, one I enacted as soon as we began dating.”

As the shock of his statement wore off, Lois found herself getting angry. He’d been following her for weeks? And now he had the audacity to play it off like he was doing some great service for her? “That’s not keeping me safe, that’s keeping tabs on me!”

“That’s one interpretation.” He merely smiled at her, seemingly unfazed by her outburst.

“It’s the only interpretation! If you think for one second I’m going to have a boyfriend who feels the need to spy on me, you don’t know me very well.” She didn’t bother to correct his assumption that she was cheating on him with Clark. She and Lex had never said they were exclusive, and he’d known she and Clark were close friends from the start. It wasn’t like she’d accepted his proposal. She was still very much a free woman. “And if this wasn’t over before, it surely is now. Good night.” Furious, she stood up and plucked her purse from where it hung on the chair behind her. She marched towards the glass sliding doors, not caring in the least about what he thought.

She’d almost reached them when she felt him behind her. He caught her arm, whirling her around. “Rest assured, Lois, this is not over. I get what I want, and I don’t let anybody – especially a lowly, unemployed reporter – get in my way.” His words were clipped, his eyes flashing.

She met his eyes, and even though she was frightened by what she saw in them, she stood her ground. “Let go of me,” she said, pronouncing each word with icy emphasis.

For the briefest moment, she was scared that he wouldn’t, and she was suddenly very aware that they were alone on the balcony. Before her thoughts could race much farther, though, he complied and dropped her arm. Shaking all over, she pressed the button to open the doors so she could slide through. She took off for the elevator at a near run, leaving him standing there, watching her make her escape.

She didn’t look back.

===========

At nine o’clock on Tuesday evening, Clark was sprawled out on his couch, flipping through the sports channels and trying to find something that would hold his interest for longer than a few minutes. He’d just settled on a playoff basketball game when he heard several quick, insistent knocks at his door.

He glanced up. Who would come over this late in the evening? It might be Jimmy; he hadn’t spoken to him in a few days. Whomever it was, it sounded urgent. He jogged up the stairs, pulling the door open quickly.

He was shocked to see who was on the other side. “Lois?”

She was dressed in blue jeans and a navy long sleeve t-shirt, and her hair was pulled up in a messy ponytail. Whatever her reason for being here, it looked like she'd left her apartment in a hurry.

He hadn’t imagined he’d see her this soon after what had happened between them last night. He’d been trying to give her a little space since their dinner date. He hadn’t called her today, even though he’d desperately wanted to see her. He hadn’t gone over to visit her, in either of his guises. It had been killing him not to talk to her, but he’d known that she was working some things out, so he’d tried to be respectful of that.

“Hi,” she said, and he could tell that she was nervous. “Sorry to just drop in on you like this… I know it’s kinda late, but…” She looked around and then glanced behind her, a move he caught instantly.

“What’s wrong?” he asked immediately.

“Nothing… it’s just… can I come in?”

“Of course.” He moved aside to let her through the doorway, and she darted past him into the apartment. “Lois? Are you okay?”

“Uh… yeah. I guess I was just wondering if your offer for dessert still stands. We never got to it last night, remember?” She took off for the kitchen without waiting for his response.

“Sure, yeah.” Dutifully, he followed her, curious. But when he saw her pace around his kitchen table instead of sitting or making any move to get dessert, he paused. “Hey,” he said softly, not wanting to spook her. “What’s the matter?”

This time she stopped, spinning towards him and twisting her hands nervously. “Never mind, I shouldn’t be here. He probably already knows I’m here, and I don’t want him to get to you, too… but I didn’t know where else to go, and I just needed to see you… but this was a mistake. I should’ve just stayed home. I’m sorry.” She moved to hurry past him, but Clark reached out with one arm and caught her.

“Lois, wait.”

At his touch, she faltered, and when he looked into her eyes, he saw a shimmer of tears were threatening to fall. If there was one thing that broke his heart, it was Lois scared or upset. Immediately, he wanted to fix it. “What do you mean, ‘get to me’? Who knows you’re here? Tell me what’s wrong, please.”

“It’s Lex.” Her voice trembled a little on the billionaire’s name. “We had dinner earlier. He’d already asked me before I saw you last night, and then when I remembered, I wasn’t going to go, but I thought – well, why not, I have to talk to him anyway – so I decided to go. But it was awful and then he was awful, and – well, maybe I shouldn’t tell you exactly what happened – but anyway –” she stopped, seemingly realizing that she’d gotten carried away. She took a deep breath. “While I was there, I told him I couldn’t marry him.”

“You did?” Clark’s voice seemed higher than normal. “Tonight? You saw him? Alone?”

“Yes.” She looked at him strangely, obviously wondering why he was so worried that she’d seen Lex by herself. “It was fine at first. We were eating and talking… but then I told him that I didn’t think we were right for each other, and that we shouldn’t see each other anymore.”

“You told him that? Tonight? Alone?”

Lois’s face broke out into a small smile. “I thought we’d established that already.”

“I know, I’m just… I’m trying to wrap my head around it. I mean, you said last night that you were going to turn down his proposal, but I didn’t know that you meant so soon. And I wasn’t sure… the way we left things, I didn’t know if you were going to see him anymore. I mean, I’m glad that you talked to him, but… how did he take it?” Clark ran an agitated hand through his hair. “I wish you would’ve told me you were going. Are you okay?”

“Yeah.” Lois looked at him. “Lex was… weird. At first, he thought that I meant we needed more time to get to know each other, but then when I said that I didn’t want to see him anymore… he got angry. It was scary. He…” she hesitated, wondering how much detail she wanted to get into. Well, she’d probably end up telling Clark eventually, so she might as well tell him everything that happened. “Clark, he knew I was here last night. He had me followed. He probably knows I’m here now, too. He’s been spying on me since we started dating… well, he called it ‘checking in,’ but from where I stand, that’s spying. And it’s creepy. I got mad, and that’s when I decided I’d had enough, and so I got the heck out of there.”

Clark nodded, but Lois was more surprised that he didn’t immediately have a fit and start reiterating all the reasons why Lex Luthor was scum.

“Clark, did you hear what I said?”

“Yes. I’m sorry, Lois, but I’m not surprised. Lex treats people like possessions – especially you. I’m sorry if it sounds harsh, but you were a prize to be won for him. Now I’m wondering what comes next.”

“Yeah, you and me both,” she answered. “When I left, he grabbed me by the arm and told me in no uncertain terms that it wasn’t over between us. He’s mad that you and I are… well, close. He called you a ‘lowly reporter,’ Clark.”

Clark shook his head. “I can handle him, Lois. Don’t worry about me.”

“I am worried about you, though! I’m worried about us both. I think he’s… dangerous.” She hated admitting that to him, because she should have seen it. And she called herself a reporter? She’d been so blind. “And I’m so mad because it’s all my fault. I had no business letting it get this far with him. I think I was just so flattered that someone so important would have an interest in me… but I was never thinking marriage, honestly. And tonight… well, I think I caught a glimpse of what he’s capable of, and I don’t like it one bit.”

“It’s okay, Lois.” He folded her in his arms, comforting her. “It’s not just you. He’s fooled a lot of people into thinking he’s something that he’s not.”

She pressed her cheek against him and buried her nose in the crook of his neck, loving the way she fit there in his strong embrace. She held still for a moment, allowing herself to find comfort and gain strength from being close to him. It spoke much to Clark’s character that the first words out of his mouth were of comfort, not ‘I told you so.’

Finally, after a moment, she pulled back. “It just hit me tonight, walking into that building… I stepped into the elevator and looked at myself, at who I was when I was with him, and I didn’t like what I saw. I knew I didn’t want that life. I spent all this time through dinner trying to get to know him more, trying to find a connection with him, but I just… couldn’t. It wasn’t there. Not like…” she trailed off, suddenly unsure of her next words.

She knew she had to tell him, but wow, was it scary. And that was with knowing how he felt about her. She couldn’t imagine the courage he’d had to come up with yesterday in the park, when he’d told her how he felt; he’d had no idea how she was going to respond, and yet he’d made himself completely vulnerable. Her heart swelled with that same emotion she’d felt last night… only this time, she found she could finally put a name to it.

She looked up at him, feeling as if she’d walked up to the edge of a cliff, and it was time to either jump or run away. But she realized now that she’d been running from this particular cliff for about a year, and she was done.

“Not like… with you,” she continued boldly, looking him right in the eye. “I don’t have a connection with him like I do with you.” She could see the surprise register in his expression, but she continued on. “All I did during the entire dinner was compare him to you. And he kept coming up short, in every way that mattered. I thought about you the whole time. It wasn’t even Lex; I realized that no matter who I was with – even if it was Superman – I would’ve been thinking of you anyway.” She took a breath, waiting to see his reaction.

Clark looked stunned. “Lois, are you… are you saying what I think you’re saying?”

Suddenly, her grin couldn’t be contained. It split her face, her feelings for him shining through. Now that she was here, with him, everything seemed so right. This was where she belonged: in this apartment, with this man… in his arms and in his life. She’d been so very blind before, and not just about Lex. It was time to tell him.

“Clark, I’m so sorry for what I said to you in the park. I wasn’t expecting what you told me, and my reaction… well, it was all wrong. I got scared, because I’ve had other relationships with guys at work, and they were… well, you know – they were practically federal disasters. I just didn’t want you to be another one of those. You are so important to me, more than you’ll ever know. I didn’t want to risk our friendship.”

She took a small step toward him, reaching out a hand to stroke down his arm, needing a connection, needing him to ground her. “But the more I thought about it last night after I left, the more I realized that our date last night was everything I really ever wanted. Eating a quiet, normal dinner at home, talking about our day and our pasts and whatever came up… laughing and joking and just being together… even cleaning up after dinner was fun because you were there. I’m comfortable with you, Clark. I’m happy when I’m with you.”

He reached out and caught her hand before it fell back to her side. “You always make me happy, Lois. You are everything I’ve ever wanted.”

She smiled softly, but then it turned a touch mischievous. “Of course, then there was after the clean-up…”

He caught her knowing grin and answered with a slow one of his own. “That part, I don’t think I’ll ever forget.”

She giggled. This was so much easier than she’d ever thought. She felt lighter than she had in weeks, despite what had happened with Lex earlier in the evening. She bit her lip and dipped her head shyly. “Me either. But I know really liked it.”

“Me, too.” He looked so happy he could barely get the words out.

Realizing that he still held her right hand, she reached out with her left and found his other hand as well. She brought both their joined sets of hands up in a wide half-circle until they were level with her shoulders. While he watched, she slowly let go and moved his fingers until they matched up with hers, palms touching. Then she slipped her fingers in between his, lacing their hands together. It was a much more intimate feeling, the sensation of his fingers in between hers.

“This is where I want to be, Clark,” she whispered as she lifted her gaze to meet his. She wanted him to look into her eyes and see her sincerity. She was ready to bare herself completely, the same way he had done for her.

“This is where I want you to be,” he answered softly, and she was right; his eyes spent some time searching hers. He seemed to find what he was looking for, though, because then his eyes dropped down to her lips, and there was no mistaking his intention. Those butterflies that had been noticeably absent at Lex’s earlier in the evening came back full force, and she found herself eager to reconnect with Clark the way she had last night and show him how she felt. She tilted her face towards his as his lips came down and sweetly pressed against hers.

Their hands dropped and she put her arms around his neck, pulling him in closer. He slipped one arm around her waist while the other swept up her side, tracing her body to her shoulder and back down. Their kiss deepened, more romantic this time than passionate.

It was like every casual, friendly touch he’d ever given her over the course of their relationship had been leading to these gently, loving kisses; those innocent gestures throughout the year had built her trust in him and her faith in their bond. This was why it was different with Clark; her body knew his already, recognized its mate and was eager to discover more about him. And now that her mind was in agreement, everything seemed to have fallen into place.

For a reporter who had given up on ever truly falling in love, it was a quite a moment. She pulled back from their kiss, but left her arms loosely around his neck, keeping him close. “You think we could try that conversation in the park again? A do-over? I think I can get it right this time.” She leaned in and nipped his lips playfully.

He smiled that blinding smile that she would never get used to having directed at her. He reached up and trailed a finger down her cheek, cupping his hand around her jawline. “Lois, I have been in love with you for a long time. You had to have known,” he said, repeating the words he’d said to her on that park bench. It may have only been a day ago, but she was so far removed from that person now it may as well as been years ago.

“I knew,” she answered. “I mean, I know that you love me,” she added, emphasizing the present tense of the word. “I feel it in the way you treat me, the way you look at me, the way you touch me.

“Oh, Clark,” she continued, reaching up to cover his hand. She brought it down to her mouth and gently kissed the inside of his palm. “I feel the same way about you. You’re my best friend and the only partner I could ever stand to work with. I admire you, I respect you, and I do love you.” She repeated her words, too, only this time, she stopped there and let the phrase stand. “I love you,” she repeated, the words surprisingly easy as they slipped from her tongue. She saw his eyes close as he savored her declaration. “And I don’t mean just as a friend. Thank you for making me stop to see it. Thank you for not giving up on me.”

His eyes fluttered open again and settled on her. “I couldn’t. You are the most precious thing in the world to me.” He leaned down and kissed her again, his touch doing more to tell her how he felt than his words ever could.

They stayed that way for long minutes, murmuring sweet nothings interspersed with quick kisses, just enjoying the closeness that this new turn in their relationship afforded them. They both knew there were things they still had to talk about; namely, what they were going to do about jobs and Lex Luthor, especially now that Lois had seen his darker side. Lois was ready now to hear just what Clark knew about Luthor that had made him so distrusting of the billionaire. Together, they would discover those skeletons Luthor had in his closet, and they would bring him to justice.

For his part, Clark knew that there was still the matter of Superman to deal with; Lois deserved the truth, especially if they were going to be together now as a couple. And it would have to be soon, he knew that, too. But right now, neither one of them wanted to look past the way they were feeling at this most special of moments. Whatever the next few weeks and months held, they knew they would make it through, because they had each other.

What had begun with a simple request was now their reality. “Lois.” Clark grinned as he said her name, breaking one of their many kisses. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Of course.”

“Will you go out with me again? On a date?”

She smiled back. “The answer to that is always.” Her eyes twinkled a little, her happy expression matching his. “You know all you ever have to do is ask.”

==========

The End