Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Hi,

Sorry I'm a day late, but as I explained in my reply and thanks to the fdk for Chapter 3b, my real life has been a bit traumatic this week.

I hope you find this part less upsetting, and that a you can now see a glimmer of hope for poor Clark.

I await your verdict on this section.

Yours Jenni

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
hail

M
Blogger
Blogger
M
The last post didn't upset me at all, and not this either. I love everything about it so far and will wait paitently for the next part.

//Mona hail

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. thumbsup

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I'm with Maria. I thought the substitute body they were using already had a missing finger, and that's why they popped off Clark's digit. Did I miss something?

Aside from that, this is excellent. I can't wait for Clark to wake up and sense Lois, and then not be able to understand what's happening or why he's now Nine-Fingered Clark. And what's Lois going to make of that suddenly reestablished connection? Will she accept that Clark's alive, or will she doubt her own sanity?

I'm still waiting for the emotional fallout, too. The kids will surely suffer some damage, and Lois will have to re-learn how to be a wife after more than a year of being a widow. And how much will Clark remember, and how fast, and will all of his powers come back? Lots of room for angst yet to come.

I also want to see Clark go back and confront the general, preferably on the sly. Maybe he could "appear" in the general's bedroom at three in the morning and convince him that he's being haunted by the ghost of Superman. The guy'd probably drop his teeth right then and there.

Keep it up! And don't let RL drag you down too far. Believe it or not, reality is a little more important than Lois and Clark fan fiction.

But not much.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Thanks for the new part, Jenni. It was beautiful. My favorite part by far was Lois suddenly sensing the presence of Clark:
Yet for a moment, as the city room of the Daily Planet went about business in its normal chaotic fashion around her, Lois was transported to another world by the shade of her husband reaching out to her once more. In her heart, she sensed a shiver of his panic, followed by a strange sense of peace... a final coming home. Whatever was happening, and Lois couldn't be sure just what that was, Clark was finally at rest.
And then this paragraph, where you explain the bond between Lois and Clark so simply but so eloquently:
The interlude had passed, and again Clark's presence retreated into memory, into that special place in her heart where he would always remain, entwined forever in the very sinews of her being. He would never truly leave her - how could he when he was the other half of her soul?
I'm so glad you showed us how Lois sensed Clark once again, because it reminded me of that extremely poignant and beautiful part of your previous chapter, the part that I was momentarily distracted from by my horror at the amputation of Clark's finger. I'm talking about this lovely passage from the previous chapter, where Clark thought he was about to be killed, but where he suddenly managed to re-establish some connection with Lois:
Then 'she* was there, a wraith like figure in his fading consciousness, watching him with a gaze full of sadness and compassionate understanding, as if she shared his anguish. He almost cried out to her, yet her name remained beyond his memory, and it didn't matter anyway as he no longer had the power of speech. She smiled, and his terror ebbed away - death would not be so bad, if she were there with him.
So beautiful, Jenni. I love it. I'm so looking forward to the rest of your story.

Ann

Columnist
Columnist
Great job, Jenni. I like your original characters a lot.

And very poignant with Lois and Jimmy.

Looking forward to more,
Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm so glad to see you posted, Jenni! Thanks for another beautifully written chapter — the obstacles encountered and the suspense during the escape from the compound had me riveted! (Though, like Maria and Terry, I was a little confused about the removal of the finger from the corpse).

I have to echo Ann's earlier comment about this particular passage; it illustrates the bond between Lois and Clark so poignantly:
The interlude had passed, and again Clark's presence retreated into memory, into that special place in her heart where he would always remain, entwined forever in the very sinews of her being. He would never truly leave her -- how could he when he was the other half of her soul?
And this was such a simple but powerful way to make this situation so real to everyone who reads it. By this point, we've probably all lost loved ones; funerals and their aftermath — simply dealing with someone you care about not being there anymore — are difficult and even awkward at times. Even among friends. There will always be those inevitable slip-ups, the words that thoughtlessly leave your mouth that you just can't take back, and my heart went out to both Jimmy and Lois while reading this:
“You're gonna be late if we hang around here jawing about old times. And hey, tell Sara good luck from me. Oh, and where is this competition being held? I'll try to look in if I get off work on time.”

“It's at the Superman Foundation Hall,” Lois said, stepping into the elevator. “Starts at seven. I'm taking the kids for dinner first, though Sara will probably settle for a green salad. She's nervous and I doubt it would be a good idea, anyway, to tumble about on a full stomach. Her grandparents will be there too... and Perry and Alice.”

“I better not miss out if the whole family's showing up....” Jimmy's voice tailed off as both quickly realized just who would not be there.

Lois and Jimmy exchange a sad smile. Sometimes it was those little perceptions that caught you unawares.
It *is* those little perceptions. Those tiny, half-formed thoughts that flit across your consciousness each day, infinitesimal mental molecules in the cement of loss that make it difficult to get through every 24 hours.

This is such a fantastic story, Jenni — I can't wait to see what happens when Clark eventually makes it home to Lois and the children.

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
Features Writer
Features Writer
Hi Jenni wave

Sorry for being late with my fdk. I read half of it yesterday and the other half today at work. blush

Here it goes. laugh

Only now he wanted more for himself... more for Adrienne... and, at least, freedom for the man they had wronged.
This still sounds very selfish to me. Freedom is a right, not a favor someone does to another. Poor Clark...

Yet, Adrienne couldn't hold back the question that sprung immediately to her lips. “You speak English, Teo? Why have you never let on?”

Not stopping in his task, Teo glanced over his shoulder at the woman. “No speak English good... know some. Bad things happen to Teo if General Hyesan know. Teo no speak inside.” He jerked his head in the direction of the heavy steel door which they had closed behind them.
whinging

What had Mrs Church said all those years ago? 'A store couldn't boil an egg'? Mindy had been correct about that... and Clark had been great in the kitchen... amongst other rooms....
lol reminds me of someone I know... despite from the other rooms thingy. wink

Jenni, this part was really cool.

But I, of course, prefer when Lois is around because all that description of the building and the escape was quite detailed but didnt reach me that much..

I guess I am more emotional than I thought... or maybe I just hoped Sups would be killed in the rescue process :p

Well I am looking forward for another chapter. And Jenni, I dont know from where you got the idea of Teo speaking English, but he sounds just like someone I know well :p

MDL angel-devil

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
M
Blogger
Blogger
M
Jenni, with your real-life concerns, you don't ever have to apologize for being late in posting. We, your avid readers, appreciate what you do send to us.
Although I'd never want to see Superman killed, I do relate to the post by MDL. The part of the story with Lois and Jimmy was very, very touching. I seldom weep when reading a story, but this segment did bring tears to my eyes. I love the feeling of connection they have when apart from one another. Now with Clark being brought back to consciousness, that should become stronger, right? And I also agree that the intricate detailing of the escape didn't stir my angst. Sorry. I know how much you put into your work.
But, as you've said, the darkest part is over and we can begin looking for that dot at the end of the tunnel to grow.
Thanks.
Marge

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Jenni

An excellent part! smile1

Tricia cool

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Other great part, Jenni! smile1

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Hi All,

I'd like to thank Ultra Woman for giving such a short and to the point explanation for the amputation of Clark's finger.

I've been trying to word my answer post without it becoming more like a vignette. wink

The rescuers could not afford to have their evil General suspect they had tricked him, and since they had to hide the identity of the body which they were cremating, they needed a quick and fairly unquestionable method of proving to Hyesan that the body was Superman's.

He would be given Superman's finger, and when he watches the CCTV footage of the boiler room, he would at least see the hand belonging to the body was minus that finger.

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone who is following The Forgotten and all those who are taking time to post fdk. I'm totally blown away by your enthusiasm and your kind words.

When RL is difficult, your support makes my day.

smile

Yours Jenni

Columnist
Columnist
This was just an awesome new part! I am loving this story more and more with each subsequent chapter.

I particularly enjoy how you've written the children. They are such sympathetic characters and feel so real that you feel their pain at the loss of Clark just as deeply as Lois.

And the conversation between her and Jimmy at the end was just so touching.

Keep it up, can't wait for more!

(Incidentally I just loved that you named one of Lois' kids Sara...without an h...that's my name wink )

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard