Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Hi,

Please let me know what you think, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the verdict won't be too awful.

I'll post chapter 2 probably on Monday, but then I'll be moving to a weekly schedule, as I don't to run out of buffer.

Yours Jenni

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi, Jenni! smile1

Andreia wink

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Well, this is certainly heart-wrenching. I can't imagine how Lois would cope with not knowing, not being certain, and believing that Clark would never again smile at her, never again laugh with their children, never again cup her face or wrap his super-arms around her -- Ouch!

This reads a bit like "The Count Of Monte Cristo" with the added complication that the prisoner is being held without his memory. And it's done so well! I'm looking forward to the next installment with loads of anticipation. Keep up the great work!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Features Writer
Features Writer
Hey Jenni wave

Glad you started posting the story. It's great so far.

Here are my favourite bits of the part:

They were somewhat astounded when they'd first become aware of the fact, yet Bernard had run a number of tests and reached the conclusion that Lois' earlier pregnancy had somehow altered her hormonal and chemical balance - - Lois and Clark had finally become reproductively compatible.
Such a simple explanation, yet so explanatory. It is amazing how the great mysteries of fandom history can be solved by talented people.

“Nothing, Martha.” Though they were far apart, the silence in both homes was palpable. “I've tried and tried to reach him, but there's nothing there. Not in my my head or my heart. Martha, Clark is just... gone!”
Lois, you must check your internal superman radar. I don't think it is working well.

Better to conserve his strength for a time when resistance would make a difference.
mecry I am NOT crying! Sniff.. sniff... I am NOT into sentimental stories. Sniff Sniff...

Well... what more can be said?

So, I will say something that only you know what I mean...

I loved******* it. love

Yours,

MDL. angel-devil <---- lol, I really love this new one.

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh GOODY! I LOVE angsty A-plot, and you write some of the best!

I'm intrigued: no-one is looking for Superman any more, how will he manage to escape? How was he captured? Lots of good story ahead for sure.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Jenni, I'm fairly new to the boards, and I've never been here when you posted a story here before, piece by piece. There's much to be said for that way of receiving a story, particularly when other people are commenting on it, too. So I'm very glad that you are posting a new story now, and that I'm here to read it!

Thank you for your WHAM warning and your reassurance that things will end well after all. One thing is certain, I'm not looking for deathfics when I'm reading about Lois and Clark. I'm also not looking for divorce fics, losing their minds fics, unhappily ever after fics.... You know what I mean!

And you sure start off by serving us a generous slice of WHAM. Just listen to this:
The man awoke to nothingness, then a growing sense of confusion. He thought he remembered pain, terrible pain, but he couldn't be sure. He couldn't grab hold of what pain actually felt like; couldn't grab hold of where he was or even who he was. He had no sense of self.
This is a fantastic opening. "The man." "Awoke to nothingness." "He thought he remembered pain, but he couldn't be sure." "He had no sense of self." What you show us with these phrases is a man who has a sense of being, of existing, a man with awareness and the ability to think, but as you say, a man with no sense of self, no identity. He is, but who is he?

At first, I wasn't even sure that "the man" in question even was Clark, although it seemed probable. I loved your way of proving to your readers that the man really is - or rather, used to be, Superman as well as Clark Kent. (How ironic that the man who used to have two identities, which caused a lot of heartache, now has none.) Anyway, how can you ever beat a revelation scene like this one?
His hands had sought the normal zip, only to find one didn't exist... not in the showy red underpants, and he'd been afraid of succumbing to a humiliating accident before he'd found the desired opening, under the briefs. He couldn't be sure, but wasn't the normal fashion to wear briefs underneath a suit?
Yeah, well... who, but who, wears flashy red underpants over the rest of his clothes? Who, but Superman? Or, in this case, who but the man who has absolutely no idea that he used to be Superman?

So why can't he remember, not even when he looks at what remains of his familiar suit? A terribly frightening answer is beginning to form itself in the next paragraph:

Pain started throbbing deep within his skull, and he raised his hand to his temple, his fingers massaging the soft skin there. That was strange; as his fingertips extended into his hairline, he discovered a patch where his hair was rough and stubbly and he could feel the traces of a small, ridged scar, as if the wound was recent. He searched further over his head and found a similar spot near the base of his skull. What had caused those injuries?
Yes, what had caused them? Clearly he must have had them after he lost his superpowers. Perhaps he got them just because he fell or was hit or something similarly dreary and everyday, but I can think of a much more terrifying possibility. What if he has had brain surgery? Perhaps someone has implanted little devices in his skull, in his brain? What if they are the cause of his amnesia?

You then proceed to tell us about Lois and her and Clark's children. I love your explanation of how they got all three of them. The descriptions of the children are so sweet. This part of your story, however, ends with a most moving passage:
"Lois, honey, don't you give into despair. Clark's gotten himself out of a lot of bad situations before...."

"But maybe, not this time, Martha." Tears were beginning to well up in Lois' eyes. "We've always had this connection, you know. In my heart, I always knew it, long before my head would accept it... but it's always been there. And now...." The tears were coursing down her cheeks, impossible to stop.

"And now?" Martha's question was whispered, realizing she didn't want to hear the answer.

"Nothing, Martha." Though they were far apart, the silence in both homes was palpable. "I've tried and tried to reach him, but there's nothing there. Not in my head or my heart. Martha, Clark is just... gone!"
Well, at least we can be a little more optimistic here than Lois. A man who used to be Clark still exists, even though he isn't Clark any more. And that's why Lois can't reach him, because the connection between them has been erased along with everything within him that was Clark. But perhaps, and hopefully, he can become Clark once more.

And then you give us some really alarming descriptions of people feeding ex-Clark strange food, injecting him with a yellow liquid, strapping him to a stainless steel table and administering more drugs. We can hardly expect ex-Clark to become Clark again as long as they, whoever they are, keep treating him like that. His memory isn't coming back, and it may even be going away even further. Not only is he unable to understand what his Superman suit represents, but now he can't even remember what it looked like, the electric blue tights with the red briefs on the outside.

Fascinatingly, the fact that the man who used to be Clark has lost himself also means, as we have seen, that he has lost Lois. And he is now utterly alone, as alone and unconnected to other people as we may be in death:
He was alone - - the way he'd always been afraid of, at least that thought hovered somewhere in the vestiges of his mind - - in someplace which was akin to a tomb. Perhaps he was dead.
Yes, he is dead to the world. And Clark, and Superman, have both been gone for a year, and funerals have been held for both of them. And Lois Lane wants to become Lois Kent. Well, I can understand that, but I still think she should remain Lois Lane, because it's a great name and because I think it isn't strange that a woman should keep her own name even after she's married. Nevertheless, under the circumstances, I can see that she'd want Clark's name for herself.

The closing paragraph is wonderful:
Often in the dark of night she would remember Clark's sadly prophetic words. That it wasn't the years that mattered, but the moments... and Clark and she had shared more moments of enchantment, passion and tender care than she'd ever dreamed existed in this world. Though to the outer-world Lois Lane would continue on alone with her children, Lois Kent would forever be linked to her partner, her friend and her dearest husband, Clark.
This is a lovely first part, Jenni. Though I want to tell you that when it comes to angst, I can take only so much!

Ann

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Ann;

If you've not read any of Jenni's other stories, run over to the archive and get started on catching up. "New Birth" will tell you how Matthew came to them.

LaurieD

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh, wow! This is fantastic writing! A fantastic part really! And I haven't read This Child Belongs to You, or New Birth, as LaurieD pointed out, YET, that is. They're on my to-read list!! I wanted to sneak a peak at this one anyway and I'm glad I did. laugh

Clark's confusion is so palpable; I just love how you've written it...

His hands had sought the normal zip, only to find one didn't exist... not in the showy red underpants, and he'd been afraid of succumbing to a humiliating accident before he'd found the desired opening, under the briefs. He couldn't be sure, but wasn't the normal fashion to wear briefs underneath a suit?

And just exactly what kind of suit was he wearing... or not wearing as the case might be?
he discovered a patch where the hair was rough and stubbly and he could feel the traces of a small, ridged scar, as if the wound was recent. He searched further over his head and found a similar spot near the base of his skull. What had caused those injuries?
This is so great! To start the story with an injured Clark and we're wondering what happened, but so it he. That's such a great way to start a story!

And Lois...

“We've always had this connection, you know. In my heart, I always knew it, long before my head would accept it... but it's always been there. And now....” The tears were coursing down her cheeks, impossible to stop.

“And now?” Martha's question was whispered, realizing she didn't want to hear the answer.

“Nothing, Martha.” Though they were far apart, the silence in both homes was palpable. “I've tried and tried to reach him, but there's nothing there. Not in my my head or my heart. Martha, Clark is just... gone!”
Okay, WHERE is Clark that the connection has been broken!!? He's hurt, but he's alive, so shouldn't she feel it??? It's like when Clark hit that nasty asteroid in For the Greater Good - and Lois felt the connection break and assumed he was dead! - all over again! I hate when that happens, when the connection breaks! I hate it (even though I love it plot-wise and it keeps me gnawing my fingernails, waiting impatiently for more)! And while I hate the broken connection in one way... I love when it comes back, and after your nice disclaimer I have this faith that you'll do just that! So I'll just read... and wait... goofy

Nearly a year had passed since Superman had left to help out with the Earthquake in Korea and there had been not one single sighting of him anywhere in the world since.

For a time, Lois had convinced herself that he'd been lying hurt somewhere... perhaps had amnesia from a head trauma. Most people considered The Man of Steel to be invulnerable, but Lois knew differently.
You really know angst, don't you wink This is so good!

Okay, one more... I love the beginning of this final paragraph...
Often in the dark of night she would remember Clark's sadly prophetic words.
It has this dark and haunted feel to it and gave me chills. Really nice thumbsup

Part 2 please!! smile

~NICOLE

M
Blogger
Blogger
M
Ooooooo I loved this very much becauce you managed to fit in so very much in one tiny post.
It was so... greatly written. Your words just flowed into my head and created little images of Lois and Clark being in pain and stuff. Thank you.

Mona smile

Top Banana
Top Banana
Intriguing, Jenni. You have a streak of the torturer in you, you know. wink I mean, you hide it well, but now and then you just can't stop it from escaping, can you? I shall await developments with interest.

Yvonne

Columnist
Columnist
Ooooh, this is so sad and angsty right off the hop! I love it!

I am wondering if whoever it is that has captured Clark has done something to his brain...hence the buzzed haircut and the scar? Will he still have his superpowers or are those gone? And even if he does have them (or regains them) he wouldn't know to use them....

Brilliant stuff...on the edge of my seat waiting for more!

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Jenni

An excellent start! smile1

Tricia cool

Top Banana
Top Banana
So pleased to see you posting this, Jenni. Very powerful stuff. smile

c

J
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
J
OMG, I can't believe it took me so long (two days wave

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I gave the wrong title for the prequel... it's here http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories/2005/thischil.txt This Child Belongs to You. My memory for titles is working as well as usual. <g> LaurieD

Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Hi all,

I want to say a really big thank you to everyone who added fdk on my story. smile

I have to say I was stunned by all the wonderful comments. I wanted to capture the sense of Clark's confusion so that my readers would experience what he was feeling, and it seems I did succeed in doing so.

I also felt that Lois would be heartbroken and yet she would be resilient for the sake of her children. That she would reach the depths of dispair in private, quieter moments, but that she was a fighter and wouldn't give up - that the love she shared with Clark would give her the strength to go on.

I'm glad you all seemed to understand what I tried to portray.

Anyway, thank you again. Like Lois did on occasion, I was worried that I'd lost my edge. wink

Yours Jenni

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great start. mecry

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard