Print Thread
#27689 02/06/06 09:43 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
The first installment of this tale was the most adorably enjoyable Lois and Clark story I've come across in a long time, with its absolutely delightful interaction and dialogue between Lois and Clark and Lois and Jimmy. This new part lacks all such interaction between our favorite Daily Planet reporters, so it's clearly quite different. I'm still loving it, though. I'm a space buff, but my real interest is in the universe as such, not in our own rather pitiful attempts to travel very far out into the big black yonder. Nevertheless, Terry's description of what such a space journey would actually entail is so detailed and so knowledgeable that I, at least, am totally fascinated. Reminds me of that time a few years ago when I visited the British Museum of Science or Natural History or whatever it is called, and I was contemplating a full-scale model of the Apollo 11 Moon landing module. Honestly, people, you should have seen it, particularly the horrible outside ladder which the astronauts had to use to get in and out, and which appeared to end several yards above ground level. Talk about having to jump to get where you wanted to go! And what if you missed? And fell and broke your leg??? Horror!!!

Anyway, as I stood there watching it in reluctant fascination, this elderly gentleman came along, accompanied by two young boys. Would you believe that he said that he had actually been involved in the Apollo project himself, and had helped design it? I don't know if he told me the truth, and I even forgot to ask about his name (arrgghh!!! Slap forehead!!!) but I sure hung around for a while and asked him a lot of questions. And he told me about many of these little fascinating details, such as yes, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin did indeed wear diapers, or maybe it was small urinals, as they walked on the Moon. Well, what do you do if you just have to go, and the one thing you absolutely can't do is open any part of your clothing? Those astronaut suits, by the way - they didn't offer that much insulation for the fingers, and can you even believe how cold it is on the Moon? God - when I just think about it --- And the stuff they ate. Little hard-looking rectangles or cubes of compressed whatever, some of it funnily colored. They drank it down with - was it recycled urine? Naah, don't think so, considering the Apollo round trips to the Moon were over and done with pretty quickly. But if people are ever going to travel to Mars, then believe me, recycled urine is what they are going to have to drink. (And really, seeing people have already been staying for months in space stations, what else could they have been drinking?) And just drinking anything at all in zero gravity, where liquid, if left to itself, will shape itself into balls which float around serenely. This is true of any liquid, so imagine going to the bathroom in zero g... (Or imagine being sick - no, on second thought, don't imagine it...!!!) And sleeping strapped onto your bed, or bunk, to prevent you from sleep-floating around all over your sleeping quarters. Ever wanted to know what it's like to float when you sleep? Go into zero gravity and find out.

Well, as I was reading your story, Terry, you bet I was remembering all of this! And just like last time, you made me smile again and again. I didn't do any quoting at all last time, but I'll do better now and start quoting several of my favorite parts:
Despite having been willing to commit any number of petty crimes - and a couple of felonies - to stow away on the first cononist's shuttle, the Messenger, none of the subsequent missions had grabbed her interest as a reporter.
I'll say! Don't I vividly remember the day in the summer of '69 when Apollo 11 landed on the Moon, and everybody was glued to their TV screens to savor those grainy black and white images and listen to that static-crackling solemn message from Neil Armstrong, "A small step for a man... but... a giant leap for... mankind." But it was only about a year later that people were already so bored out of their skulls with trips to the Moon that nobody initially even noticed that the Apollo 13 mission seemed to be turning into a major disaster.

Ah, but there is nothing like a friendly voice to welcome you on board what could potentially be a flying coffin, is there?
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. Thank you for flying the shuttle Valkyrie."
LOL!!! smile1 hyper

Ann

Columnist
Columnist
Oooh, this story just gets better and better! I wasn't sure what to expect from the first little bit of it but this second part has really upped it into an interesting multilayered story.

I was more than a little surprised (as I'm sure everyone else was) when Claude of all people ended up being there as well, but I just ADORED Lois' reaction. Of course after witnessing the death threats she had uttered to him by many officials, I kind of figured he was a goner (too much detective books maybe)...anyway, the bit with the fishing line made a good segue into how he was hanged (and maybe comes into play later?)

It's getting better and better! More soon please!

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
Kerth
Kerth
Nice - dead Claude is NOT going to be missed. But awkward to explain...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
“Cherie! How glad I am to see you again! How have you been for so long since we have seen each other?”
grumble

Oh my where is Clark Kent when you need him or maybe he was there? laugh

Very good story and looking foward to more soon smile

~Lois Lane Wanna Be

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."
~Mary Anne Radmacher
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Very rapid plot development: riveting. Excellent cliff-hangers. Ditto the other replies on characterization and details. I'm hooked.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Ann, I can always depend on you to find the little, tiny inconsistencies that everybody else (including me) misses. My intent was to show Claude as a man who uses every trick in the book to seduce a woman, including faking a bad French accent. I just assumed everyone would view him as a self-centered hypocritical (rats! I ran out of adjectives!) low-life below whom is nothing. I never considered that he probably had a better command of English than I gave him.

On the other hand, he's probably the kind of guy who'd think that a thick French accent would appeal to the ladies, and if that helps him get in the front door (so to speak), he'll use it.

Anyway, your sharp eyes spotted one. But I hope my after-the-fact explanation lets me out just this one time. I'll try to do better from now on.

Thanks to all of you who've posted such positive things so far! I hoped the FOLCs would like it. All I can say now is, I hope you like the rest of it half this much. Oh, and watch out for the suspects.

One At-A-Boy to the first person to pinpoint the killer before the revelation scene. Quantities are limited, so apply now! Operators are sitting by.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Blogger
Blogger
I'm not surprised that Lois managed to get into serious trouble less than 24 hours after arriving at Promethius, but I'm absolutely amazed that she wasn't involved in any near disasters on the two day trip there eek

Looking forward to part 3 smile

snarla2

Columnist
Columnist
Hi,

I'm enjoying this story very much. So good to read a meaty murder-mystery in Lois and Clark's world, though it's more Lois' world and it is off-world at that. wink

I'm certain Claude is not a great loss, but his death might cause problems for Lois, as she probably is one of the main suspects.

I get the feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg and wonder just what Claude whispered to Lois which she was too preoccupied to hear.

Look forward to reading the next post.

Yours Jenni

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I had to make time to read this one!! And it was all worth it! I am REALLY loving this story! Two great parts! Now, normally I'd quote all over the place, but Ann has done that and then some, so you can read and re-read her post, because she chose so many that I would've chosen that were just awwww-ing and great!! smile But I will do one...

“I’m sorry, sir,” she began, “I guess I’m not used to – zero – “

The man turned and faced her.

Claude Guilliot’s face slowly smiled at her.

“Cherie! How glad I am to see you again! How have you been for so long since we have seen each other?”

She couldn’t speak. She floated aimlessly in mid-air with her mouth half-open.
My mouth was half-open when I read this part, too! Of all people!!! thumbsup

Can't wait for the next part!

~NICOLE smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard