Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27659 02/03/06 06:48 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
This was a great first installment, Terry! I loved your dialogue, especially the verbal sparring between Lois and Clark and later, Lois and Jimmy.

This made me laugh out loud:
“The zoo’s koala is pregnant!”

Lois froze with her mouth open, then slowly turned to face her partner. “A pregnant koala? Are you nuts, Clark? That’s not a story worthy of the best investigative reporting team on the East Coast!”

“It stopped your babbling in its tracks, didn’t it? I win this round.”
And how could anyone *not* love this:
“Because we only have one hundred sixty-three pounds of mass available for a person, clothing, equipment, and anything else we send up. That’s all the room the next shuttle has left. I don’t know how much you weigh, Clark, but it’s gotta be more than that if you were in your birthday suit.”
Tee hee, Perry and his innate pragmatism. Perfect.

“How many men have you ever heard complain of a bad hair day?”

“Fabio?” offered Perry.

“Any 80’s metal band?” Clark responded.
(It's even funnier because it's true).

As a last resort, she tried her puppy-dog face on her boss, but it ricocheted off the Kevlar sheath around his heart and whined harmlessly out the window.

So she spun and marched past Clark into the bullpen. “Olsen!” she barked. “Come on. Let’s go destroy my hair.” Over her shoulder, she called out, “And I better not hear a single word about this from you, Kent!”
There's Mad Dog Lane -- once she realizes wheedling won't get her anywhere, she's all business, determined to get the story no matter what.

And then, bless Jimmy's heart, he's off with Lois to the salon. Honestly, I loved their entire dynamic, but this exchange in particular:
“Hey, Lois, have you asked anyone to house-sit for you while you’re gone?”

“House-sit?” Her eyes went wide. “Aggh! No! I didn’t even think about it! Are you by any chance volunteering?”

He shook his head. “Sorry, I can’t. I’ve got a two-week vacation to the Grand Canyon starting a week from Tuesday and I’m not missing that trip.” His eyes lit with an evil gleam. “Hey, I bet Ralph would be happy to – “

“No!” she barked. “Absolutely not! Don’t even think about that! No way I’m letting that slime mold near my personal space! If I had my way he wouldn’t work at the Planet! I’d rather have Lex Luthor come back to life!”

Jimmy’s mouth twitched. “Don’t beat around the bush, Lois, tell us how you really feel about the guy.”

“You know, there’s lots of comedy clubs with open mike nights. Why don’t you go find a couple? Preferably in Los Angeles. Or maybe New Zealand.”
*hearts* Such a great illustration of co-workers who've become so used to each other, the zingers fly left and right with hardly a thought.

Also, Andre was terrific! I have to admit, at first I thought it was more than a little shady that he knew so much about the space station and low- to zero-gravity environments, but the conversation he and Lois shared at the end of her visit convinced me he has the best of intentions. And this was fabulous:
“ … There are ‘society’ women in this city who wouldn’t trust a straight man within six feet of their heads, but they let me do their hair on a regular basis because I prance around like a newborn colt and flip my wrists at them.”
Hah! Spot-on.

But then, after making me chuckle throughout, Terry, you decided to tug on your readers' heartstrings a bit.

“ … They issued me four sets of coveralls a little while ago, too. They’re all dark blue, and you would not believe how unflattering those things are.”

“Lois, I wouldn’t believe anything could be unflattering if you’re wearing it.”

“Oh, Clark!” He heard a sniff. “Doggone it, don’t do that!”

“Do what?”

“Be so sweet to me over the phone when I can’t be with you and let you know how much I appreciate it.”

“In your station-issue underwear?”
So simultaneously endearing and funny, and we get to see a slightly sentimental side of Lois few ever do (aside from Clark, of course).

Then, you make us think a bit:
“That does bring up a point, Lois. Superman won’t be able to come to your rescue if you get in trouble up on the station.”

She sighed. “I’m going to write about the anniversary of the colonists’ arrival, Clark, not investigate a terrorist organization. I doubt I’ll need Superman’s help.”
Hmm. Famous last words, Lois. I have a feeling all won't go quite so smoothly in later installments ... let's hear it for foreshadowing!

And then, wrench our hearts with this:
“… I found out this afternoon that you’ll have an e-mail account while you’re up there, and you’ll have access to the Planet’s database on the Internet feed. The station administration is setting you up just like a regular employee.”

“Good. Get ready for some sad and lonely e-mails from me.”

“Sad and lonely? You practically trampled me to get to this assignment.”

“That was before I realized I wouldn’t see you for almost two weeks.”
At the risk of being trite, all I can say is, "Aww." To the nth degree.

And last, but certainly not least, you had to twist the proverbial knife:
She hung up abruptly, just before he could say, “I love you, Lois.”
Just ... ack! It's the similar tug-of-war we saw time and again on L&C that kept us glued to our seats, between saying the right thing and missed opportunities. I love it, but oh, the frustration of it all!

And, as I've rambled far too long, I'll just reiterate that this is a great start! Can't wait to read the rest.

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Okay, DITTO everything angelic_editor said!Terry! I am loving this! smile1 And THANK YOU for such a lengthy opening! It's got me all revved up for a great ride! And with nine more parts, I am assuming Lois will not be just writing an anniversary piece, no strings attached goofy

I love how right from the beginning you capture the momentum of the story with the banter!

“What’s up, Chief?” Lois asked. “City hall bribery scandal?”

Clark shifted his attention to his boss. “Corruption on the state ethics board?”

“Police brutality?”

“A new super-criminal on the loose?”

“Bio-terrorist threatens the city!”

“A cruise ship is in danger!”

“Carjackers are running loose in the suburbs!”

“The zoo’s koala is pregnant!”

Lois froze with her mouth open, then slowly turned to face her partner. “A pregnant koala? Are you nuts, Clark? That’s not a story worthy of the best investigative reporting team on the East Coast!”

“It stopped your babbling in its tracks, didn’t it? I win this round.”
It's fun and fast and the characterization is great! You also really capture the chemistry between Lois and Clark for this particular stage of their relationship. thumbsup

Honestly, you did it all! You cut Lois's hair...
“Go? Go where? Where’s my hair going, if not with me?”
rotflol ...had them have funny yet sentimental, sweet scenes...
She chuckled ruefully. “You and your wild idea of a bachelor party.” She paused and sighed. “You’re by yourself tonight, aren’t you?”

“Yep. You?”

“I wish I were. I’d have a lot more privacy.” She sighed again. “I’m in the ladies’ dressing room at the launch center, shivering in my station issue underwear, waiting for my pressure suit to be altered. They issued me four sets of coveralls a little while ago, too. They’re all dark blue, and you would not believe how unflattering those things are.”

“Lois, I wouldn’t believe anything could be unflattering if you’re wearing it.”

“Oh, Clark!” He heard a sniff. “Doggone it, don’t do that!”

“Do what?”

“Be so sweet to me over the phone when I can’t be with you and let you know how much I appreciate it.”

“In your station issue underwear?”

Her nose and her tone both dried in an instant. “In your dreams, Kent.”

“Well, you know you’re with me there, Lois. And not always – you know.”

Her voice turned low and sultry. “No, Clark, I don’t know. Tell me, how am I dressed in your dreams?
love
...and most importantly gave me a lovely mental picture of Clark sitting in a space capsule in his birthday suit blush

PLEASE post more soon!

~NICOLE smile

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Terry, this is fantastic! Beyond fantastic. It's got it all, humour, space-flight excitement, fantastically accurate science and techie information (are you sure you don't have this secret identity as a science teacher yourself?), spot-on Lois/Jimmy interaction, haircut for Lois - did anyone tell Tank? - and totally wonderful dialogue between Lois and Clark. I don't have time to write much here, I really don't, but please imagine I quoted everything that angelic_editor and Nicole quoted already! Ah, I could have quoted a lot more of this, a lot more! Terry, you should see the smile on my face right now, after reading this!!! But there's also a slightly haunted look in my eyes, because I'm in a hurry. So, gotta run, but this... oh, believe me, it so made my day!!!!

clap clap clap

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ah, hah! Terry, you've started posting! smile

You already know how much I like this story. Good to see that other people are already raving over it, too.

Oh, and I still love Andre...

Chris

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I have to say that I like it so far.

Tank (who always enjoys a new, logical, reason for Lois to get her haircut... and the story looks interesting too)

M
Blogger
Blogger
M
This makes me smile.

/Mona.

Columnist
Columnist
I'm glad someone came up with a plausible reason as to why Lois got that abysmal haircut wink

I really liked this first part. Some hillarious banter so like Lois and Clark, a really interesting hair dress/science teacher, Jimmy just being Jimmy and of course Clark being all sweet and worried and adorable. Great part...keep 'em coming!

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
Merriwether
Merriwether
!!!Her hair got cut *wimper*!!! Well I enjoyed that whole scene. I'll dido everything that angelic_editor said. I can't beat that.

I'll be looking forward to the next installment. I wonder what trouble she'll get into!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Love this so far, although I'm wondering if this might not be a continuation of something else you've written b/c it seems like Lois and Clark are secretly dating? Or did I totally get confused...

The haircut business was hysterically funny, and Lois's interactions with Jimmy very characteristic. Andre the not so gay, but pretending to be gay, hairstylist. Great stuff smile I won't quote b/c others beat me to it, but I'll definitely be waiting for the next segments.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great start. hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard