*text* indicates bold
<text> indicates thoughts
{text} indicates over the telephone

Universal Locator designation Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 – Prime
Universal Locator designation Alpha 025 x Gamma - 086 x Tau 142 Alt 25 Shadow

Preeviously

Smiling, Clark said, “This could take some time.”

“Let it. We have some things to talk over while you are gone.”

Clark spun into Superman and left through the window.

Lois turned to Margot and asked, “Just how close have you and Clark gotten?”

“Much as I hate to say it, he’s been a perfect gentleman. There was a while there when I thought I would rather stay, but not now. We just had to deal with an attempted coup by the Nazi party.”

Lois blurted out, “The Nazi party? How could that be? The war ended years ago!”

“They were in suspended hibernation. Anyhow, from what I just went through, I can see that I’ll be needed back home to help Lamont against them. I think we will be very busy. We will continue to fight criminals, but we will, I’m sure be called upon to fight spies and saboteurs.”

Lamont asked, “These things you sent Clark for. What are they?”

“I’m going to let you keep my recorder with enough tapes and batteries to last a long time. After going through you being shot, I want to minimize the chances of Margot having to go through that with you again so I asked him to get a couple of Second Chance™ vests. They are bullet proof and very light and won’t hinder your movements. They cover both your front and back. Apparently, Margot now has some of my fighting skills and will better be able to assist you, the way I did. I left the clothes I purchased in her bedroom. She can use them the way I did.”

Lois turned to Herb and asked, “We aren’t breaking any time travel rules by doing this, are we?”

“Well, technically, but I think we can overlook it, this time.”

“Oh, you have a hairdresser’s appointment tomorrow.”

Margot laughed and said, “So do you.”

Turning to Herb, Lois said, “We have Tempus sedated, but you will probably need some help picking him up. Lamont can show you. where he is.”

“Thank you. We will secure him. I hope we can prevent his escaping again.”

After Margot and Lamont had been returned to their own universe, Lois and Clark cuddled on the couch, but Lois was uncomfortable. She sat up and said, “We need to go to your apartment.”

Mystified, Clark asked, “Why?”

“This furniture … it’s so uncomfortable. I’ve gotten use to softer, overstuffed furniture. Your couch will feel a lot more comfortable. I want to sit and cuddle and watch ‘Lethal Weapon’ with you.”

He did a spin change and two minutes later, she found herself where and doing just where she wanted to be doing what she wanted to do.

And now:

Chapter 26 – Epilogue
Metropliis 2003
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator designation
Alpha 025 x Gamma - 086 x Tau 142 Shadow
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In March, 2003, after a very pleasant time breastfeeding her daughter, Lara, Lois had just put the one year old girl down for the night. Three year old Jon was also down for the night after saying his prayers with Clark and having a story read to him. Now Lois and Clark were cuddling on the sofa in the living room.

Lois sighed, contentedly and said, “Clark, I love our life.”

“I do too, honey.”

In response, Lois launched into one of her patented babbles, “How many children do you want to have? I mean, we have two already, but why should we stop there? You were always an only child. Didn’t you want to have lots of brothers and sisters? I had Lucy, but that isn’t saying much. It was more like I was her mother than her sister the way I had to take care of her because of my mother’s drinking. It was almost like I was an only child and I don’t want that for our kids. They should have lots and lots of brothers and sisters to play with and have birthday parties for and besides, if we look at this practically, the more children we have, the more superheroes the world will have and they can protect each other and us as we grow older.”

Clark stopped her and asked, “What’s going on, Lois?”

“Well, lately, I’ve been thinking, what if I underwent fertility treatments?”

“What? Fertility treatments? Why? We already know that we are fertile together. We have two children already. Why do we need to do something like that?”

“Well, look at what we have, two very bright healthy children that one day will grow up to be superheroes, following in their father’s footsteps.”

“Right and we can have more, but why fertility treatments?”

“We could have a bigger family quicker that way.”

“I don’t want you having quads or quints. That’s too much of a strain on the body.”

In an abrupt change of subject, Lois said, “You know, lately, I’ve been thinking about Margot and Lamont. I wonder how they made out in the war.”

“I’m sure they made out fine. Lamont had enough money to see them through.”

“I meant, I wonder if our little gifts helped out.”

“Oh, the vests. They might just have saved their lives at one time or another.”

“You know, their universe doesn’t have a Superman. The closest thing to you is Doc. Savage, but he can’t hold a candle to you. There’s only so much that training, even scientifically designed training can do. The human body has its limitations. The Kryptonian body’s limitations are much different.”

“I know that. Lois, what are you driving at?”

“Oh, nothing.”

“Come on, Lois. I think that by this time I know how your mind works. You’ve got something up your sleeve. Spill.”

Lois started another nervous babble, “Well, we don’t know if they, Margot and Lamont, have any kids yet or even if they can. We know that we can, now. There was a question about that, early on, but we are past that now. Remember how happy we were when we got CJ? Remember how sad we were when we had to give him back? Then how much happier we were when we found out that I was really pregnant? Wouldn’t you want that for a poor childless couple?”

“But we don’t know that they are childless. We don’t even know if they got married.”

“Lamont promised me that he would propose as soon as Margot returned to him. I’m sure they are married by now.”

“Okay, but they might not be childless.”

“But what if they are? We could bring that same joy to them.”

“I can’t see us giving up one of our children to them so that they have a child, especially since they could very well already have one, or more.”

Lois pointed out, “But you are forgetting, there is no Superman in that universe. We could help them found a dynasty.”

“We are founding a dynasty of our own.”

With a starry eyed look, thinking of the prospect, Lois replied, “I know, and it is already well on the way. Okay, we could be founding a second dynasty in a universe far, far away.”

Clark had his objection ready, “But we don’t know if they would want or even accept our help. They may have other plans.”

Lois mused, “I think we need to ask some advice.”

Skeptically, Clark asked, “From whom?”

“Herb. He said that theirs was a universe that TTEMPO had never surveyed before. Knowing Herb, I’m sure that isn’t the case now. He has probably had scouts all over time in that universe by now.”

“Okay, Herb, but how do we get in touch with him?”

“I don’t know. I don’t have all of the details figured out yet.”

“Well, keep thinking about it.”

“Oh, I will. Count on it.”

A couple of days later, Lois was on an assignment that took her near S.T.A.R. Labs and thinking that it wouldn’t hurt to have some questions answered, she stopped in and visited with Bernie Klein.

“Hi, Bernie.”

“Well, Lois what problem do you need solved today? Another Kryptonite exposure? Another Kryptonian virus? You know, you told me what your dad did in that instance and I don’t know if I would have thought of that.”

“No, Bernie, you’ve got me all wrong. I just came so that I could ask you some questions.”

“Oh, questions about what?”

She hesitated a second, before she continued, a little embarrassed, “Fertility treatments.”

Astounded, he burst out, “Fertility treatments? You don’t need fertility treatments, you and Clark are fertile. You have two children already!”

“But what if we wanted more, more quickly?”

“Not recommended.”

“I know it’s not recommended, but what if we wanted to share our good fortune with a less fortunate couple?”

Bernie glance at the door to make sure it was closed before he continued, “You would want to drop a superbaby on some unsuspecting couple?”

“Oh, no! They would know in advance.”

“Okay, they would know in advance, but what about nurture? We all know that there are nature and nurture. It is the nature of all of Clark’s offspring to be ‘super.’ We all know the environment that you and Clark are providing for your children and that they are being nurtured in such a way as to produce well grounded, responsible citizens and not criminals. How can you be assured of the same quality of nurture in the child you give up?”

“We know the couple, in fact you met the woman.”

“I did, when?”

“Do you remember Jesse, the little superboy?”

“Ah, yes. Do you mean that you have selected Leigh-Anne as the mother!? NO! Definitely not. I will not be a party to providing that woman with a real superbaby.”

Reaching out a hand and placing it on his arm, Lois said, “Calm down, Bernie. I’m not speaking of her, I was speaking of Lois.”

Bewildered, he grunted, “Huh?”

“The Lois that you worked with during that adventure and when Superman was contaminated by the dirty bomb set off by the Nazis … that wasn’t me. That was my twin and her real name is Margot. It’s her and her husband, Lamont we want to help.”

“You mean that really wasn’t you?”

“It really wasn’t. We had temporarily swapped places. I got to know Lamont pretty well and Clark got to know Margot. We feel that they would make a perfect couple to properly nurture a superbaby. Now, how is it done?”

“Well, if you are satisfied that they won’t raise a super-criminal. Well, there is a series of hormone injections to stimulate egg production. At the proper time the eggs are for want of a better term, ‘harvested’ and then they are exposed to Clark’s sperm in vitro. Once they are fertilized they are returned to the womb. If they implant successfully, you are pregnant.”

“I guess that since the fertilization occurs outside the body, then they could be implanted into anyone.”

That is correct.”

“So I wouldn’t have to carry twins so that I could give them one. She could carry her own.”

“As long as she is willing.”

“I’m pretty sure she will be. Thanks, Bernie. We’ll get back to you.”

“Anytime, Lois. Anytime.”

A couple of days later, Lois was in her rocker, nursing baby Lara when there was a knock on the door. Clark x-rayed to see who it was and handing her a drape said, “Cover up. It’s Herb. I wonder why he’s here.”

As she adjusted the drape, she said, “Well don’t leave him on the stoop, let him in and we can find out.”

Clark opened the door and allowed Herb to step in. He took his derby hat and placed it on the table in the vestibule before they moved to the living room.

As they did, Lois readjusted her clothes and handed baby Lara to Clark to burp. As she did, she asked, “Well, Herb, what brings you around?”

“Believe it or not, I’m here because I need your help.”

“So what else is new? You always need our help, well sometimes we need yours, but okay, so we need each other. What is it this time? You need Clark to stand in for another Clark?”

“No, actually, it is your help that is needed.”

Startled, she gasped out, “Mine?”

“Yes, yours. Do you remember Lamont and Margot?”

Startled, she blurted out, “Clark and I were just talking about them the other day.”

“Ever since we became aware of their existence, we have begun a survey of their universe. In that survey we found that in their future they do progress to utopia, but we couldn’t figure out how that came about given Lamont’s limited powers. We traced back and found that initially they were unable to have children because of injuries he had sustained throughput his life, but that Margot had given birth to twins, a boy and a girl, both of whom developed Clark’s powers.”

Lois looked at Clark with an I-told-you-so look and then focused her attention back on Herb.

Herb continued, “We were wondering how this could have happened.”

Lois smiled and replied, “Herb, just the other day, Clark and I were discussing our family and how blessed we are to be able to have children, especially after our earlier disappointment. I was wondering if Margot and Lamont had had children. We decided that if they didn’t we wanted to help. I spoke with Bernie Klein about fertility treatments…”

Clark interrupted, “When did you do that?”

“The other day when I was on an assignment out that way. It’s actually a fairly simple procedure. I will have to have some hormone treatments, then they harvest my eggs. As long as she is willing, her part won’t take that long.”

“I will return to her with your offer.”

“And I will start the hormone shots. We should be ready in a month. She and Lamont should plan to spend a week here. They can use our guest room.”

In a month’s time, Margot and Lamont arrived and took up residence with Lois and Clark.

Margot was immediately drawn to baby Lara, holding and cuddling her and generally fussing over her while Lamont immediately took to three year old Jon.

Lois and Clark were standing on the side, observing them and feeling good about the decision they had made.

The next day the four of them, Margot and Lamont disguise slightly, appeared at S.T.A.R. Labs.

As they walked in, Margot approached Bernie Klein and said, “Dr. Klein, I want to thank you for what you are doing.”

“You know at the time, I really thought you were Lois.”

She chuckled and replied, “You were supposed to.”

Looking at Lamont, Bernie said, “I take it that your Clark doesn’t have powers.”

She smiled and replied, “Oh, Lamont has powers, just not like the ones that Clark has.” Turning to Lamont, she said, “Show him, honey.”

From a small satchel he was carrying, Lamont pulled out his cloak and hat. After he had donned them he quickly faded from view, even Clark couldn’t see him.

Bernie hissed, “Wow, that’s something. Clark, don’t you wish you could do that?”

Clark nodded and replied, “Yes, I do, but it took him years of study to do what he does. It would take too long for me to learn.”

Lamont reappeared and removing cloak and hat returned them to the satchel. He said, “You have a very impressive facility. There’s nothing to compare to it in our time.”

“In your time?”

“We came here from 1941.”

Bernie spluttered, “1941, do you know what’s coming?”

“Yes, we are well aware. Herr Hitler has made his early moves. We are starting to see an uptick in spy activity. Soon they will start trying to sabotage our manufacturing and development efforts. I expect to be very busy, soon.”

Lois asked, “Shall we get started?”

Bernie became all business. He said, “I’ve had two OB/GYN beds set up in my lab. We will get the both of you prepped. While we do that,” he handed Clark a small sample container, “Clark can go down the hall and provide the sample we will use to fertilize the eggs.”

As Lois and Margot entered the lab, Clark took the container and disappeared down the hall.

“Lamont, if you wouldn’t mind waiting here. There are magazines, TV…”

“I’ll be fine doctor. Don’t worry about me.”

Clark returned a few minutes later with the container, handed it in to Bernie and joined Lamont.

An hour later, Lois and Margot joined them and Lois said, “We have to get home and the two of you have to wait on us hand and foot for at least a week until we are sure that the embryos are implanted in the cervix. We are each going to have twins.”

Margot laughed and said, “Actually, Bernie said a couple of days.”

Lois whined, “Awww, there you go spoiling all our fun. I was looking forward to a week of being pampered.”

“I’m sure the guys will take good care of us for the duration of our pregnancies, won’t you boys?”

Both Clark and Lamont were smiling as they answered in unison, “Count on it.”

The Cranstons spent a week with Lois and Clark while they waited for confirmation of the pregnancies. In that time, Lois and Clark briefed them on what to expect from their children and helpful hints on how to guide them as their powers developed.

At the end of the week, Herb returned and after their parting good bys and good wishes, Herb returned them to their Earth.

Just under nine months later, in April 2004, to Lois and Clark were born, Sean and Celeste Kent. There was about 20 minutes separating them in birth order with Sean being the older.

In a similar amount of time, in the other universe, on December 6,1941, the eve of the attack on Pearl Harbor and the inception of World War II, to Margot and Lamont were born, Clark and Lois Cranston and a new dynasty was begun.

Having been born at the end of 1941, Clark was too young to participate in the Korean Police Action (also known as The Korean War), but in 1959, before the start of the ‘all volunteer army’, at the age of 18 Clark Cranston was drafted into the U.S. Army for a two year tour. In that post war period, because of his aptitude tests, he was able to choose to be trained as a medic and served honorably. Having been trained as a medic, his appetite had been whetted and so after completing his service, Clark went to a prestigious university and studied medicine which pleased his grandfather, Sam.

On September 26th of 1959, Typhoon Vera hit central Honsh&#363;, Japan, killing an estimated 5,098, and a new black and red clad superheroine, Superwoman, made her debut. Her uniform was a black body suit with a cape and black boots. The cape was black on the outside, but lined in crimson. On her chest was a stylized letter ‘S’ formed in broad sweeping strokes surrounded by a diamond shaped line in the same crimson as the lining of her cape. If Commissioner Weston had still been around, he would have recognized it as the signature from the notes he had received from The Shadow. Her efforts saved countless lives. From that day forward she helped, primarily, in and around New York City.

In 1961 Superwoman was joined in her efforts by Superman and suddenly the world was a safer place. His uniform was a black body suit with a black cape lined in crimson cloth. The same stylized letter ‘S’ graced his chest.

Both displayed a range of powers which included being able to make themselves invisible to criminals until it was too late for them to react and also the ability to read their minds.

People had a hard time deciding if they were related as brother and sister, or if they were married because of the similarity of the uniforms.

Because of their powers it was speculated that they were either related to or had been trained in the same manner as Doc. Savage and The Shadow.

Be sure to go to the comments page. I included a FAQ section about The Shadow.

comments and FAQs

The end

Last edited by KenJ; 08/02/17 06:43 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj