Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Superman and The Shadow part 26 comments and FAQs

Please don’t be bashful; this is your last chance to comment on the entire story.

If there is something about this story that you think should be changed before it is posted to the archive, now is your chance to let me know. Good or bad. I do not mind criticism.

I am fairly certain that a lot of my younger readers have never heard of THE SHADOW.

Let’s start with the FAQs:

A common thread in The Shadow radio series was the disbelief of the common public that The Shadow was anything more than a voice on the radio, while criminals knew different and feared him.

That was because The Shadow started as a just voice on the radio. Starting on July 31, 1930 The Shadow debuted as the mysterious narrator of the Street & Smith radio program titled ’Detective Story Hour.’

The character caught the attention of the listening public and they started asking for copies of ‘That Shadow Detective Magazine’. That inspired Street and Smith to develop The Shadow Magazine as a pulp series.

As a result, The Shadow was one of the first super heroes to appear in American Classical Literature, first on radio and then in pulp novels which debuted on April 1, 1931 when the first Shadow pulp magazine went on sale. By comparison, Doc Savage made his debut in March of 1933. Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster were still high school students and wouldn’t sell their Superman idea to Detective Comics, later to become DC Comics, until 1938. Who knows, they may have derived some of their inspiration from Doc Savage.

The Shadow has been in most of the major genre, pulp novels, comic books, paperback novels, radio and movies. The only thing lacking was TV and I have not found any referenced to that. As for movies, there were several movies made in the thirties and early forties. In 1994 Alec Baldwin and Penelope Ann Miller starred in ‘The Shadow’ a campy take on the super hero. Penelope Ann Miller happens to be a blond, however in most of the descriptions of Margo that I have read, she was a brunette.

During the run of the radio drama the character of the shadow was played by various actors, among them being the very famous Orson Wells (Of Citizen Kane, The Third Man and War of the World fame.).

Margot Lane, the Shadow’s girlfriend and ‘Girl Friday’ was not in the original pulp novels and was introduced as part of the cast of the radio drama to give Lamont Cranston, The Shadow, a foil that he could explain what happened ‘off screen’. One of the famous women to play that part was the young Agnes Moorehead who later became Endora, Samantha’s mother, on the ’Bewitched’ TV program opposite Elizabeth Montgomery.

The radio series first aired in 1937 and was on the air regularly until December of 1954. In the radio dramas, due to the limitations of the ½ hour format and the decision not to have multi-part stories the ensemble cast was reduced to the two primary characters, The Shadow, Lamont Cranston, and Margot Lane.

In the pulp magazines, The Shadow had a number of assistants, most of whom I have introduced in this story. In the original pulps, Margot Lane did not appear, but after she was introduced in the radio dramas, she started to appear in the pulp publications. I have attempted to portray all of them as accurately as possible. For instance, The Harry Vincent origin story is as true to what appeared in the pulps as I could make it from my memory of having read the story.

Over the course of this story I have taken some small liberties. The actual origin of The Shadow was never actually spelled out. There are sketchy references to his participation in WW1 and his travels in the orient. I have taken the liberty of filling in some of the blanks creating a back story that was something of a parallel to a Superman that we are familiar with (Alt1).

To set the period I have also attempted to include historical references accurate to the time. I am not a historian, by any means, but I have done some study of the period around WW1 and WW2 so the news stories and events of the time are accurate to the day.

Initially, The Shadow was simply a crime fighter, but as the country moved into WW2, as I indicated in the story, he broadened the scope of his activities to include spies and saboteurs.

The last Shadow magazine was published in the summer of 1949. The paperbacks were published between 1963 and 1980. In 2015 a Shadow novel was released. The author used unpublished material produced by the original author and the story was set in 1933. A sequel was released in 2016. These two novels are a Doc Savage crossover.

Last edited by KenJ; 07/29/17 11:43 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Features Writer
Features Writer
I enjoyed this story, including the historical references with music and your FAQs at the end.

It was interesting to see Margot fall in love or perhaps it was a crush with Clark and the future, but decide in the end that Lamont and their world needed her more. Her eyes being opened by the Nazis in L&C's world was a nice parallel to Lois understanding Clark after she became Ultrawoman. Sometimes living the experience is the only way to understand the situation. And Margot now understands the danger of a cruel dictatorship.

Very nice how Lois and Clark provided tools for Lamont and Margot to fight their bad guys, and also the way to have children. Lois and Clark understand the heartbreak of being told they're childless. Seeing how they helped another couple was sweet. It would be interesting to see if the Lois and Clark in that universe when they grow up are super powered versions of the Shadow, combining both Clark and the Shadow's powers. I'm sure Lamont would teach them his secrets. And if he's anything like Clark in L&C, love doing it. Of course that does raise a question if Clark told Lamont how to teach the children to manage super powers. I can't imagine him not sharing that information, unless he was sidetracked.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi cuidadora,

Thanks for the FDK!

Originally Posted by cuidadora
I enjoyed this story, including the historical references with music and your FAQs at the end.

It was interesting to see Margot fall in love or perhaps it was a crush with Clark and the future, but decide in the end that Lamont and their world needed her more. Her eyes being opened by the Nazis in L&C's world was a nice parallel to Lois understanding Clark after she became Ultrawoman. Sometimes living the experience is the only way to understand the situation. And Margot now understands the danger of a cruel dictatorship.

Very nice how Lois and Clark provided tools for Lamont and Margot to fight their bad guys, and also the way to have children. Lois and Clark understand the heartbreak of being told they're childless. Seeing how they helped another couple was sweet. It would be interesting to see if the Lois and Clark in that universe when they grow up are super powered versions of the Shadow, combining both Clark and the Shadow's powers. I'm sure Lamont would teach them his secrets. And if he's anything like Clark in L&C, love doing it. Of course that does raise a question if Clark told Lamont how to teach the children to manage super powers. I can't imagine him not sharing that information, unless he was sidetracked.

When I read your FDK I realized that I had actually posted the wrong file as post 26. I had decided that there needed to be more of a description about Clark and Lois Cranston. I will be correcting the file, but in the meantime, here is what I meant to post:

The Cranstons spent a week with Lois and Clark while they waited for confirmation of the pregnancies. In that time, Lois and Clark briefed them on what to expect from their children and helpful hints on how to guide them as their powers developed.

At the end of the week, Herb returned and after their parting good bys and good wishes, Herb returned them to their Earth.

Just under nine months later, in April 2004, to Lois and Clark were born, Sean and Celeste Kent. There was about 20 minutes separating them in birth order with Sean being the older.

In a similar amount of time, in the other universe, on December 6,1941, the eve of the attack on Pearl Harbor and the inception of World War II, to Margot and Lamont were born, Clark and Lois Cranston and a new dynasty was begun.

Having been born at the end of 1941, Clark was too young to participate in the Korean Police Action (also known as The Korean War), but in 1959, before the start of the ‘all volunteer army’, at the age of 18 Clark Cranston was drafted into the U.S. Army for a two year tour. In that post war period, because of his aptitude tests, he was able to choose to be trained as a medic and served honorably. Having been trained as a medic, his appetite had been whetted and so after completing his service, Clark went to a prestigious university and studied medicine which pleased his grandfather, Sam.

On September 26th of 1959, Typhoon Vera hit central Honshu, Japan, killing an estimated 5,098, and a new black and red clad superheroine, Superwoman, made her debut. Her uniform was a black body suit with a cape and black boots. The cape was black on the outside, but lined in crimson. On her chest was a stylized letter ‘S’ formed in broad sweeping strokes surrounded by a diamond shaped line in the same crimson as the lining of her cape. If Commissioner Weston had still been around, he would have recognized it as the signature from the notes he had received from The Shadow. Her efforts saved countless lives. From that day forward she helped, primarily, in and around New York City.

In 1961 Superwoman was joined in her efforts by Superman and suddenly the world was a safer place. His uniform was a black body suit with a black cape lined in crimson cloth. The same stylized letter ‘S’ graced his chest.

Both displayed a range of powers which included being able to make themselves invisible to criminals until it was too late for them to react and also the ability to read their minds.

People had a hard time deciding if they were related as brother and sister, or if they were married because of the similarity of the uniforms.

Because of their powers it was speculated that they were either related to or had been trained in the same manner as Doc. Savage and The Shadow.

The end … or is it the beginning.

Last edited by KenJ; 08/03/17 11:21 AM.

kj
Features Writer
Features Writer
Thanks for clearing that up, Ken! clap

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thank you for pointing it out. Without your FDK I wouldn't have known that I had posted the incorrect file.

kj

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard