Rated PG-13

/ “text”/ indicates telepathic communication
*text* indicates bold
<text> indicates thoughts
{text} indicates over the telephone

Universal Locator designation Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 – Prime
Universal Locator designation Alpha 025 x Gamma - 086 x Tau 142 Alt 25 Shadow

Preeviously

Meanwhile, Anonymous had to report his failure.

Once he had, the rebel leader, a fiery zealot in his thirties, replied, “It's unthinkable you failed today. We're not paying you for failure! Now the old fool's canceled most of his public appearances.”

Anonymous replied, “But not all. He has a soft spot for kids, which means he is a fool, and he's attending charity events for the little creatures.”

The rebel leader pounded the desk in front of him as he replied, “Fostonia is the historic enemy of my country. There must be no peace treaty.”

Anonymous snickered and said, “A nuclear missile's going to be launched from your country which'll destroy the capital of Fostonia. Who's going to sign a peace treaty?”

The leader said, “But you need the launch codes. And only the president has them.”

Anonymous picked up a tabloid and said, “I'll get the damn launch codes. But I'm going to need a little help.”

He turned the tabloid so that the leader could see the picture of Jesse floating next to Leigh-Anne. The headline read: ”Flybaby Needs SuperDad.”

And now:

Chapter10 –
Metropolis 1995
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 – Prime
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

After Clark returned from his mission, he found a secluded place to change out of his uniform so that he could return to faux Lois. Just as he was approaching the steps, faux Lois came out. She joined him and they returned to the Jeep.

Once inside, she said to him, “You can rest easy. I'm pretty sure that you aren’t the father.”

“Oh, how?”

“She showed me a picture of herself and ‘Superman’ and I don't think it was you.”

“Okay, so how do we handle this? Jesse clearly has my powers. We have to find out how he got them.”

“One thing at a time. First we clear your good name then we find out how he got the powers.”

He sat back and marveled and said, “You know, you are acting more and more like Lois all the time.”

“I presume that is a good thing.”

“Unquestionably.”

“Okay, so what happened with the President?”

“I’m not sure, but I think it was a kidnapping attempt. It was foiled by my appearance.”

“Good, so we have something to write up to keep Perry happy.”

He chuckled and said, “That is exactly what Lois would have said.”

She started reaching with her foot for the starter button before she remembered the key. She gave him a sheepish grin as she said, “Old habits die hard,” and reached for the key. As she started the car, she said, “Well, here we go.” She checked her mirrors and pulled into traffic.

On the way back to The Planet, they stopped for lunch. After lunch they wrote up both, the incident with the President and the interview with Leigh-Anne and Jesse. They gave the write-up on the incident with the President to Perry, but the other they held back.

The remainder of the day was fairly quiet. After quitting time, Clark took faux Lois to his apartment for dinner and then to her karate class. After the karate class, they spent some time together at her apartment before he went home. While they were together Clark told her more stories of his life and his life with Lois.

When he finished with one of his stories, suddenly, faux Lois broke down and started crying.

Dismayed, Clark said, “I know it was somewhat of a sad story, but it turned out well. Why the tears?”

“Oh, it’s not that. I’ve been here almost two weeks … and … and I don’t know what happened with my father! Was Lamont able to save him? Did Lois help out? I hate this … this, not knowing!”

“Well, all I can say is, if Lois had a say in it, he’s safe. I’m sure she wouldn’t allow anything to happen to him. Comfort yourself with that … that she won’t allow anything to happen to him and stop worrying.”

“Easy for you to say, it’s not your father … and it’s not hers either!”

“Yes, you are right. It isn’t her father, but she will behave as if he is, rest assured that she will and she will do everything within her power to keep him safe.”

“I guess there’s really nothing I can do, what’s done is done. By now he’s either dead or alive and there’s nothing I can do, either way.”

Thinking about the stories he had told her of his life with Lois, Margot started to yearn for that life. Even with the worry about her father, it sounded, not necessarily, more interesting, than her life with Lamont, but, with all of the advances that had been made, easier in a lot of ways and something to be desired.

The next morning, before faux Lois and Clark got there, Perry arrived in the bullpen. As he exited the elevator and headed for the ramp, he was joined by Jimmy. Jimmy was carrying a large flat of artwork covered with tissue paper. He said, “Morning, Chief.”

Perry was somewhat distracted and started, without even being asked, to share, “I met Alice for dinner last night. She said she was up all night re-thinking our situation...”

Trying to be an encourager, Jimmy prompted, “And…”

Disheartened, Perry replied, “And she decided I could keep the spoon collection. I said I had to get back to the paper. She said she had to get back to 'her life.' Whatever that means.”

Trying to be conciliatory, Jimmy said, “Chief, I’m sorry.”

Perry huffed and said, “Well, if she thinks I'm gonna mope, she's dead wrong! Maybe I'll just get back to my life, too!.” He paused for a second before he finished, “Whatever that means.”

As they continued on their way, they were distracted by the TV monitors. It was a continuation of the story from the previous day. The anchorperson was asking someone off screen a question. “And you felt you just couldn't keep your heartbreak to yourself.”

They shifted focus to Leigh-Anne as she replied, “Yes. My personal code of morality would let me cover for Superman no longer. You may quote me. “

Perry was disgusted and huffed as he turned away and headed for his office. As he did, he commented, disconsolately, “The whole darn country's runnin’ with this thing. We can't just keep our heads in the sand...”

As they finally made it to Perry’s office, and as Jimmy unveiled what he had been carrying, he said, “Del Duca in editorial wants to get your okay on this.”

What he unveiled was a picture of Superman flying over a baby carriage, covering his eyes with one hand. The caption read "Super Deadbeat."

Seeing that, Perry just shook his head. He thought for a second, and then said, “At least have him add a question mark. Makes me feel a little less like a vulture.

He spotted faux Lois at her desk and shouted, “Lois! Got that Superman story?”

Faux Lois and Clark had spent a goodly amount of time discussing how to handle the story the previous night and had not been able to come up with a way to debunk it without revealing too much information and giving away his secret identity. They had decided to play along with the story, as if it were true, and see how it shook out. To remain in character, she would have to act as if her best friend had betrayed her. They had arrived in the bullpen a short time before Perry and she was practicing her typing skills while they waited for something to break. She had the bare bones of a story that they had concocted the previous afternoon, but the way it was written, it supported Leigh-Anne’s claim. A little disheartedly, she replied, “I guess.”

Perry mistook faux Lois’s attitude for disappointment that her hero had been unfaithful to her and said, “I know, Honey. It's always demoralizing when one of our heroes falls. “

Disconsolately, yet carefully, she replied, “You don't know the half of it.” She paused as she considered what to say next, “You're aware there's always the chance Superman didn't do this...”

Perry tried an old country aphorism, “Lois, you and I have been newsmen long enough to know if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and tastes good with plum sauce ... It's a duck! “

Clark caught the tail end of Perry’s statement as he came up and asked, “What’s a duck?”

Perry explained, “I was just tellin' Lois she couldn't let her friendship with Superman cloud her professional objectivity.”

“Why? Did she judge him and find him innocent?”

True to their decision, faux Lois replied, “Not exactly. The jury's deadlocked. “

Perry tried to cushion the blow, “Well, kids, I guess we can't put people on pedestals. Even Superman's entitled to a checkered past.”

Faux Lois wanted so much to tell Perry what they knew about the case and that Superman was innocent that she could hardly stand it, but instead she went back to her typing practice.

Clark interrupted her, “Lois?”

Eager to be doing something to distract herself, she asked, “What did you dig up on the kidnap attempt?”

Sitting down in her visitor chair, he opened his notes and read, “The Tanzorians think it's the work of a radical group inside their own country.” He finished in a more subdued tone, “And I don't have a checkered past! “

Faux Lois replied, “Perry's right; people shouldn't expect more from Superman, or The Shadow for that matter, than any other guy.” Changing topics, she continued, “About that attempted kidnapping, pretty sophisticated work for a radical group.”

Clark hadn’t been wasting his time, he realized that he should be training faux Lois, but that would have slowed him down. He reported, “Word is, they may have hired that terrorist, 'Anonymous.'“ Replying to her comment about Superman he said, again in a low tone, “Look, I thought this whole thing was behind us.”

Faux Lois smiled and replied with some personal wit, “Yeah, well, a shadow's behind you, but you can't shake it.”

Clark smiled at her reply and continued, “I thought Anonymous had been kicked outta the country, but he may have kicked himself back in. Easy to do. No one's ever seen his face... They say he’s like Mr. Make-up only more so.”

“Who’s Mr. Make-up?”

“He was a paid assassin that tried to kill you, remember?”

She took the hint and replied, “Oh,that Mr. Make-up.” Lois picked up the photo of Leigh-Anne with Superman and said, “The guys in the photolab assure me that it is authentic.”

“There are two possibilities,” he looked around to make sure they were not being overheard, “the first is that it is me, but you can’t count the number of people I’ve had my picture taken with. The second is that it is a Superman impersonator.” He picked up the photo and took a close look at it. As he did, he pulled his glasses down his nose slightly.

It was a move that faux Lois had started to recognize. She asked “What do you see?”

He replied, “In the corner, there’s a maid's cart holding a stack of towels.” Clark zoomed in closer and closer until he could read them. He read aloud, "Ding Dong Motel." Picking up a magnifying glass he pretended to examine the picture then looking around and spotting Jimmy, he shouted, “Jimmy!”

When Jimmy appeared next to him, Clark laid down the magnifier, wrote down the name of the motel and gave it to Jimmy. “Find this motel for me, please.”

“Sure. I’ll get right on it. Does it have anything to do with Superman and his son?”

“Possibly everything. Get right on it.”

Once Jimmy had left on his errand, faux Lois said, “Oh, I’m pretty sure it isn’t you, so it must be an impersonator. Besides, she didn’t recognize you and then the fact that the costume wasn’t created back when Jesse was conceived. The problem is the powers. You have any idea how many toddlers there are who can balance sofas on their pinkie fingers?” She picked up her purse and said, “I think it’s time we got out of here. We need to eat and I have a class to get to.”

After dinner and faux Lois’s class, Clark dropped her off and returned to his apartment. As soon as he opened the door, he sensed a change and stopped, surprised.

He said, “Boy, I must be in trouble. The cavalry's here.”

Standing in the middle of his living room were Jonathan and Martha. Martha said, “Hi, Sweetie. Are you okay?”

Jonathan addressed the issue, “We never watch those tabloid shows, but the Smallville Press turned its whole front page over to Superman's love child. “

Clark replied, matter-of-factly, “I don’t have a love child.”

Martha was quick to reply, “Of course you don’t, honey.

Lending his support, Jonathan said, “It’s an impossibility!”

Martha chimed in, “Laughable, really!”

Clark started becoming defensive, “Well, you know, c'mon, I wouldn't say 'laughable' I mean, I have dated...”

Jonathan put a hand on his son’s shoulder as he aid, “We just mean we raised you to be responsible. If something like this did occur, you'd live up to your obligations.”

Martha said, “So if you say this woman's not the mother of your child, then she's not. Like I said, ‘laughable!’”

Jonathan asked, “How’s Margot with all of this?”

Clark replied, “We are calling her Lois. I have to be honest, there are times that I forget that she isn’t Lois, but she’s okay with it. We are convinced that we have enough evidence to prove that I’m not the father. The problem is, we can’t present it without compromising my secret identity.”

“What’s your evidence?”

“Well, for one thing, the timing is all wrong. Mom, when did I lift my first couch?”

Martha thought back before she replied, “Gosh honey, I think you were in junior high before you did any serious lifting. And it was rarely furniture. You leaned more toward kitchen appliances. It was the freezer, I think.”

“That is the one thing we haven’t been able to figure out - how did he get his powers? If he were my child, wouldn’t his power have started to manifest at the same time as mine did? Yet, Jesse, is only three and a half. There is one possibility that we haven’t considered. Maybe this kid's not from Earth! Are you sure I'm the only one from Krypton? Help me out here!”

Jonathan tried to comfort his son, ”Clark, don't make yourself crazy. We believe you when you say that there's no truth to this.”

Clark challenged, “So you're saying I should just sit back and do nothing?!”

Martha replied, “Not at all, sweetheart. We're here to stand by you and fight this little hussy with everything we've got. “

Clark was shocked at the language his mother had used and said, “Mom! Wow.”

Ever practical, Jonathan offered, “Science is on your side, Clark. The answer's as simple as three letters, DNA.” Jonathan poked his finger at Clark’s chest for emphasis while saying each letter.

The next morning, Anonymous, disguise as ‘Donald Rafferty, Attorney At Law’ appeared at Leigh-Anne’s home and presented her with a legal looking paper.

It started off, “You are hereby required to appear…” She read enough to know what it said, then she crumpled it up and threw it across the room in a fit of temper. Then she complained, “A DNA test! They're ordering Jesse to have a DNA test! “

While Leigh-Anne had been occupied with reading the document, Anonymous had tried to ingratiate himself to Jesse by taking him on his knee, a distasteful task because he most definitely did not like children. He replied, “Which is why you need me and my law firm, Ms. Stipanovic.” He turned his attention to Jesse as he continued, “Son, if you could possibly loosen your little grip on Uncle Donald's leg... Son...” His plea became more strident. “Son.” He returned his attention to Leigh-Anne. “Spunky, isn't he? Ow! Ho, ho, ho. Hi-yo. “

Leigh-Anne mulled it over for a few seconds before she replied, ‘Well, maybe I should hire you, Mr. Rafferty. Up 'til now my cousin Billy Bob's been handlin' my legal affairs. But he's still in correspondence law school and they haven't mailed him the chapter on blood stuff, yet.” She noticed where Jesse was and said, “Jesse does seem to have taken a shine to you. The test is for later today. Isn't there some writ or judge-type thing that can delay it?”

Anonymous replied, “You have nothin' to fear. Son, the grip; I've lost all feeling. Ms. Stipanovic, the test will either show Superman to be the father or that he is not.”

Having it put that way, Leigh-Anne started to worry that her hoax could be discovered and asked, “And how's that last one a good thing?”

Anonymous replied, “That’s where I come in. If that happens, I'll get opposing experts to argue the DNA tests are inconclusive, contaminated, or the result of tampering.”

Leigh-Anne was starting to see a positive outcome and asked, “Is that legal?”

Anonymous replied, with confidence, “My dear, it's the backbone of the entire system! But we don't have to worry, because the little tyke is the son of Superman, isn't he?”

Leigh-Anne tried to cover herself, “Of course. It's just my family doesn't do well on tests.”

The news of the DNA test request couldn’t be kept a secret and as a result there was a mob scene in front of S.T.A.R. Labs where the test was to be conducted. Vendors were hawking "Super Stud" t-shirts, Superman diapers, rattles, etc. Angry women were waving signs reading "SUPER DEADBEAT." Reporters and video crews were fighting for curb space. Among them was faux Lois. Suddenly Superman blurred into their midst and the mob went wild. Reporters were shouting questions, some good and some nonsense, “Superman! If the boy is yours, will you seek custody?! Are there other 'Super Kids' around the country?! Is it true you have a wife in Red Bluff, Montana?! What do you say to teens who wanna be just like Superman?! “

Superman raised his hands for silence before speaking, “You people all know me and what I stand for. And what I won't stand for. I've always tried to protect the weak and the helpless. And that's why I'm here today. To protect this little boy from any more of this.”

The reporters and crowd were all distracted by the limousine as it pulled to the curb. After it did, Leigh-Anne, Jesse and Anonymous all stepped out. Anonymous had procured a miniature Superman suit for Jesse. Jesse looked scared as the cameras flashed and the reporters crowded in.

This was just what Leigh-Anne wanted, so she waved and said to Jesse, “Hello! Hello, everyone!” Then to Jesse, “-Wave to the nice people, Jesse.”

Faux Lois said in an aside to Superman, “Perry told me to cover this. I hate it as much as you do.”

Superman replied, “The irony is, there's really only been one woman in my life. She's wearing a ring.”

Suddenly, Leigh-Anne spotted Superman and as she rushed him, she shouted, “Honnn--ney!” When she got to him, she threw her arms around his neck and gave him a passionate kiss, as the cameras flashed. As she pulled back, she continued, “I cannot stop myself! As much as you've shunned me, I still have love in my heart for you.” Turning, she called to Jesse, “Look, Angel ... It's Daddy!”

As Superman tried to extricate himself from her arm without hurting her, he said, “Ms. Stipanovic…”

Leigh-Anne continued to play the part she had mapped out for herself, “Oh darlin', don't be so formal. You certainly weren't in your love letters!” She turned to the reporters and said, “Which I'll be readin' from tonight on 'Nightline.”

Faux Lois just stared at her in disbelief. She couldn’t believe the extent that this woman was willing to go to in her hoax.

Suddenly there was a commotion in the ranks of the reporters. There was the sound of super-breath in action and a couple of individuals went airborne. Superman rushed over and separated the crowd and found Jesse in the middle. He was angry and blowing people around.

Superman commanded, “Jesse, stop that.”

Jesse stamped his foot petulantly, and replied, “But I don’t like them.”

Superman picked Jesse up. Jesse struggled against him, but in vain against his superior super-strength. Superman carried him into STAR Labs and that ended the confrontation.

A little later, Superman and Jesse were sitting side-by-side on an examination table in a bare room. Superman asked, “Are you okay? It's tough sometimes, isn't it, being different? Sometimes it's scary. And sometimes you get mad, and it'd be easy to hurt people because you're so strong. But the cool thing is, we can do good for people. And most people are good, Jesse, even those crazy ones outside. So ... many questions?”

Jesse, in the innocence of youth asked, “Are you my daddy?”

Before he had a chance to answer, Dr. Klein bustled into the room and said, “Hello, Superman, Jesse. We obviously won't be drawing blood from you. I take it Jesse's skin is also impervious to puncture?”

Superman answered the question, “Yeah, I'm afraid so. Though why that is, I don't know.”

Dr. Klein smiled an indulgent smile and said, “Yes, of course.” The only reason that Dr. Klein could believe that this child could have Superman’s powers would be if Superman was in reality his father. Any other explanation escaped him.

Superman replied, “Look, I really don't know.” Reaching up he plucked a hair from his head. Handing it to Dr. Klein he said, “Here. You can trace DNA from hair follicles, right?

Dr. Klein brightened up and replied, “That’s right!”

Superman said, “I talked to Jesse, Dr. Klein, he'll be glad to do the same. “

After Jesse had handed a hair to Dr. Klein, the doctor said, “Excellent. We'll do our best to rush the tests along, Superman. The results will be quite definitive ... Incontrovertible, really.”

“That’s great, Doc. When will you have the results?

“Well, based on what I suspect about the complexity of your cell structure. Four to five months. A year, tops.”

“What?”

“I'll have a better time estimate once I start the work. Give me a call tonight.”

“I will.”

“But not late... I don't want to miss Nightline.”

Anonymous, wearing a disguise, picked up a phone and dialed. The phone at the other end rang four times and the answering machine picked up. Clark’s voice came from the earpiece, “This is Clark Kent. I'm not here, but leave a message and I'll get back to you. “ <BEEP>

In a perfect imitation of Leigh-Anne’s voice, Anonymous said, “Mr. Kent? This is Leigh-Anne Stipanovic. I know you're a friend of Superman's... Please tell him it's urgent I meet him at Shepherd's Glen ... in the park ... at 3:00. Thanks so much.”

As he hung up the phone he muttered, “Step one complete. Now for step two.” Picking up the phone he dialed another number

This time, when Leigh-Anne answered, he imitated Superman’s voice. “Miss Stipanovic? This is Superman. I feel badly about today and would really like to clear some things up. Could you meet me at Shepherd's Glen at 3:00? I appreciate it.

As he hung up, he muttered, “Step two complete. Now for step three.”

Superman had arrived a few minutes early and was pacing when Leigh-Anne arrived. He said, “I'm glad we're finally going to talk about this.”

Leigh-Anne demurred, “Uh, yes … you first.”

Going straight to the point, Superman asked, “Miss Stipanovic, what is it, exactly, that you want? “

Half way indignantly, she replied, “What every mother wants. A future for her son.”

His reply was succinct, “That’s commendable, but he’s your son … not mine.”

All of the bitterness of a life unfulfilled came out as she replied, “Do you have any idea what raising Jesse's been like? Before I got pregnant, I had prospects. You probably don't know I was runner up in the Junior Stenographer Pageant.”

“No, I didn’t know that.”

“I had my sights set on being a Star Search Spokesmodel. But now, that's just a dream. “

“But many single mothers work and raise a child.”

“Jesse's not just any child. And since he got … the way he is... I can't keep him in clothes, 'cause he grows so fast... Can't keep a roof over our heads, 'cause he wrecks every place... Can't keep a job 'cause no day care center'll have him...”

“I'd help if I could, but how? I don't have money, or credit cards, or a shoebox full of cash. Does this look like a rich man's wardrobe? “

“I don't want your money. At first I did, but this has gotten so big! I have a book offer... A Movie of the Week Deal... A kid's clothing company wants to do a 'Jesse' line.... Superman, I can give him the kind of life I never coulda dreamed of. And, of course, I won't be doin' so bad, myself. “

“But it's based on a lie! And that's going to do nothing but hurt Jesse.”

“Maybe, maybe not. But I see the way people are makin' money out there. Who am I? The last Girl Scout? I don't think so.”

“Then I'll keep fighting any way I can. I'm sorry you feel this way. I thought you called me to say you'd changed your mind.”

“Me call you? You called me!”

“No, I didn't. You left a message for me with Clark Kent.”

“No, I didn’t.” there was a moment of confusion before she asked, “What’s going on?”

“Where’s Jesse?"

"I left him with that lawyer fella."

Grabbing Leigh-Anne, Superman flew them to her house. When they rushed in they found the house to be empty.

Leigh-Anne started shouting, “Jesse! Jesse!”

‘He was with that attorney … Rafferty when you left?”

“Yes! Mr. Rafferty said he'd babysit! And they're gone!!”

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 06/07/17 05:16 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj