Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shadow Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
This story is a prequel of sorts. If you want to know what happens next, it's in a story I wrote a couple of years ago, "Yesterday, Upon the Stair
Ok, that explains a lot. goofy I immediately recognized the contract Stern offered her, and scratched my head thinking, 'That sounds so familiar!'

Great, great, prequel. Andn now of course, I'm ready to dive back into the main story when I should totally be doing work. Fanfic is such a bad influence. goofy

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Yay!!!! Carol, you let us nag you into changing your story. And you are back. And you wrote a sequel. And the sequel is a prequel. I don't have time to write more now, I honestly don't, but please, please, all you FoLCs who, like me, wanted Carol to write a sequel to "The Truth of the Matter":

Seeing that Carol changed her story, which really was a very good one except that it bothered many of us, into a prequel to "Yesterday, Upon the Stair", you've got to read that story now, if you haven't read it before. It's a brilliant, lovely story, one of my all-time L&C favorite fanfics ever.

Thank you, Carol. Thank you ever so much!!!!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well so then I had to go read it! I loved the prequil, but Yesterday Upon the Stair was just fantastic! I loved it! That was a very unique and sweet revelation. Great job. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Kerth
Kerth
Ohh nice ending wink

Jose smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Jaz Offline
Blogger
Blogger
Just a wonderful prequel! But now I have to read "Yesterday Upon the Stair", of course I cant find it. lol If you could please throw up a link for it. I'm at work and phones are ringing and trying to answer and find a story just doesnt work lol. Thanks so much! Have a Great day!!

wave

Thanks!!

Jaz
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stress: The confusion created when ones' mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately needs it.
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Here you go, Jaz. http://lcfanfic.com/stories/2003/yesterda.txt

Very nice prequel, and a much nicer ending than the one implied in the first part. "Lois and Clark" is not about tragic endings for our favorite couple. They're supposed to go through fire, flood and famine, and emerge, if not unscathed, at least in a hopeful situation at the end.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Jaz Offline
Blogger
Blogger
THANKS!!! WHOOHOO NOW I HAVE SOMETHING TO DO AT LUNCH!! THANKS AGAIN!
clap clap clap

Thanks!!

Jaz
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stress: The confusion created when ones' mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately needs it.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Jen, thanks for creating the feedback folder and letting me know you liked the new part. smile
Ann, Jose, and Jaz, thanks for your comments, too. I know this new part is very slight. Nan, thanks for adding in that link. smile (and I agree with you about Lois and Clark. smile )

c.

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Nice work, Carol! I liked it very much. Your Lois had depth, I felt so close to her feelings... well done!

Mind if I point out something?

From part 1:
Then the girl wound down and donned a tiny set of earphones and submerged, entering her own world.

Lois leaned back against the headrest, and listened, nodding occasionally, to the girl's cheerful babble of teen dilemmas but she soon wound down, donned a tiny set of earphones and submerged, entering her own world.
I don't think you meant to have this repetition.

In any case, thank you for a lovely story. (Now, if I ever find the time to read YUTS...)

See ya,
AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Columnist
Columnist
Hi Carol,

Nice to see this repost. I'm glad Lois decides not to run away. I think this ending works very well and a great lead into 'Yesterday'.

Need to go back and read that one. smile

Yours Jenni

Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks, Jenni. smile And, Anna, thanks for spotting that glitch! Shows you what happens when you mess with things after your betas finish with them.

c.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thank you for writing a sequel to your original very sad story, Carol. I very much enjoyed reading it.

Although I think I'd expected something like Clark following her to San Francisco, I liked very much that she realised for herself that she left her heart in Metropolis, not San Francisco. wink She underwent a long journey, and I don't mean in terms of physical distance, and it was good for her. So she's flying back home to Clark. smile

Very clever, too, to tie this up with YUTS. I did notice the similarity with the beginning of YUTS when you posted the first story (Stern putting her on a fixed-term contract) but thought you were simply re-using your own rather good idea. This works very well as a prequel to that longer story.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
As I recently read YUTS (great story), I really enjoyed this prequel. Teen Girl was both comedic and poignantly sad. And I like how you use interesting phrases that catch your attention and paint the scene. Favourite quote from this:

Running from a city she loved, with its staccato energy
Very vivid.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
And, Anna, thanks for spotting that glitch! Shows you what happens when you mess with things after your betas finish with them.
peep

gerry (who hangs her head in shame because she missed that boo-boo when she reread the story so Carol can't take all the blame for that.) blush

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Carol

Thank you for adding to your original ending. smile1 I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tricia cool

Top Banana
Top Banana
Wendy, Capes, & Tricia - thanks for reading my story. smile And Gerry for re-reading it laugh

Wendy wrote:
I did notice the similarity with the beginning of YUTS when you posted the first story (Stern putting her on a fixed-term contract) but thought you were simply re-using your own rather good idea.
- caught plagiarizing myself. blush - I fear I was but at that time I intended the first part to be a stand alone. But I was very distressed by all the upset that ensued and so I knew that I had to write a sequel. But no ideas were forthcoming that weren't already in YUTS (except for a new A plot, but I didn't figure that's want anyone wanted to read smile ) So I just decided to make this story a prequel. In tweaking the now 'part 1' , I changed a detail in that contract so that it was consistent with that in YUTS.

Capes, thank you for commenting on my use of words! That made my day. smile

Tricia, I'm glad you liked it. smile I wanted Lois to make the decision to return to Metroplis rather than have Clark come for her - so that the decision would be a difficult one for her and also an active, rather than a passive one. She's not "rescued" by Clark - an action that would have made her decision to return too easy. Also I wanted to show that Lois is more than just the woman who loves and is loved by Clark Kent. smile She's Lois Lane - hope that makes sense.

c.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I wanted Lois to make the decision to return to Metropolis rather than have Clark come for her - so that the decision would be a difficult one and also an active, rather than a passive one. She's not "rescued" by Clark - an action that would have made her decision to return too easy. Also I wanted to show that Lois is more than just the woman who loves and is loved by Clark Kent. smile She's Lois Lane - hope that makes sense.
It makes excellent sense, Carol. As a Lois fan, and as a feminist who believes that a woman most certainly should be more than just Adam's rib, I love your explanation as to why Lois makes the decision to return on her own, rather than having Clark come for her. Thanks for making me see this. I liked this prequel right away, but I like it even better now.

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
After reading this I love YUTS even more! thumbsup

What a lovely way to be reminded of one of the greatest LC fics we have on file. Think I'll go and reread that one. wink

Ursie

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard