#273653 02/15/17 07:12 AM
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Feedback folder

This is the most I've written in six weeks, so be gentle grin

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Ooh this is so cute! Well done!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Thanks Crazy_Babe! smile it was great to have the time and the inclination to write occur at the same time today

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Awww, I love this! You can feel Clark's longing and heartache through the whole story. I love the last line: 'Do you still have the ring?' smile

smile1 Thanks for the pick me up.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Aww! Cute story! I can totally see Clark being the type to pick out the ring way, WAY in advance and then being so nervous about it that he has to keep checking that it is available.

Love the last line of "Do you still have the ring." Perfect. I kind of half expected Julia to be some kind of time traveler or something with her promise that the ring would still be there if/when he was ready to buy it.

Thanks for the quick and uplifting read!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Ahhh, what a difference a day can make. Sweet story. It seems just like something Clark would have done. Picking out what ring would suit Lois and one he could clearly see in his mind's eye as hers, way in advance. Sarah

N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Thanks everyone! smile

I've been so busy and stressed lately, I've had so little time to work on any of my hobbies and stress makes it so hard to concentrate. It was wonderful to feel all the disconnected cogs of my brain actually mesh enough to write!

This story is one of several I've played with and never written, simply because they're all completely A-plot less and I didn't know how well they'd be received.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sweet little ficlet! It explains why Clark had The Ring at the ready when he proposed! I especially liked the inclusion of Julia Philips. Her characters and duties at the store as well as her advancement was easily displayed with a few well-written lines.

Brava!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Features Writer
Features Writer
What a delightful story! clap I like B plots without A plots, especially around Valentine's Day in the often-bleak midwinter. (At least in the northern hemisphere.) goofy

And sometimes the shorter stories can inspire a longer one, whether from you or someone else. wink

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Originally Posted by cuidadora
And sometimes the shorter stories can inspire a longer one, whether from you or someone else.
And sometimes even a series. No, I'm not implying that this will become part of a series; I was thinking more along the lines of At First Sight. It was supposed to be a standalone when I wrote it lol.

In longer stories, I like a least a bit of A-plot. But short stories are great with just B-plot smile

Morgana- I'm glad you liked Julia! I'm not good at OC's (which is why I write fanfic and not just fic), but this one seemed to work okay smile

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
simply because they're all completely A-plot less and I didn't know how well they'd be received.

Uh, bring on the B-plot WAFFyness! I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I definitely have days where I need some B-plot coziness without the distraction of an A-plot.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
Oh, come on. We are folcs, we love waff with no A plot, lol.

I appreciated the 3rd person view of Clark. As much as I love getting inside their heads, I enjoy seeing what other people think of them too smile I'm so glad you were able to find time to write this. Thanks for sharing with us!

N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
DC and PuffyTiger- I promise, I'll write the WAFF lol.

I'm kid-free tomorrow (doesn't happen often) I'm going to see how much I can get written without the distractions smile

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
How sweet! I love it, and Julia really has a "voice" of her own...
No wonder Clark attracted her attention, "drawing circles" around this ring.
The first scene when she first notices him was beautifully evocative.
Thanks for a very enjoyable reading!

Top Banana
Top Banana
I also enjoyed the story. It has been told many times and this one offered a distinct perspective (Julia's). Not totally fluffy WAFF as it wandered into the time where Clark was totally convinced that Lois was moving on with Dan but close enough.

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 02/17/17 01:58 PM.

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Thanks Mike and Millefeuilles!
It was a fun piece to write; I'm glad you all enjoyed reading it as much I as I enjoyed writing it. Definitely going to try to write a few less-serious stories for a while smile

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Feli!
She was putting the last few rings out when she became aware of someone studying the window display. Looking up awkwardly, she spotted an attractive, dark-haired man; he met her gaze for a moment, giving her an engaging, almost shy grin before he turned his attention back to the rings. With a final flashing smile, he walked away, leaving Julia craning to see where he went.
Probably a good idea. He’s either a conman or a straight out jewelry robber staking out his next heist.

and the men that proposed because it was the expected thing to do.
Well…if she’s expecting her father might be expecting a ring.

“Do you still have that ring?”
Very nice origin story! smile1 I was wondering if the ring would stay available or not.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard