Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: NostalgiaKick FDK- The Ring 1/1 - 02/15/17 11:12 AM
Feedback folder

This is the most I've written in six weeks, so be gentle grin
Posted By: Crazy_Babe Re: FDK- The Ring 1/1 - 02/15/17 11:23 AM
Ooh this is so cute! Well done!
Posted By: NostalgiaKick Re: FDK- The Ring 1/1 - 02/15/17 11:46 AM
Thanks Crazy_Babe! smile it was great to have the time and the inclination to write occur at the same time today
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: FDK- The Ring 1/1 - 02/15/17 01:36 PM
Awww, I love this! You can feel Clark's longing and heartache through the whole story. I love the last line: 'Do you still have the ring?' smile

smile1 Thanks for the pick me up.
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK- The Ring 1/1 - 02/15/17 06:28 PM
Aww! Cute story! I can totally see Clark being the type to pick out the ring way, WAY in advance and then being so nervous about it that he has to keep checking that it is available.

Love the last line of "Do you still have the ring." Perfect. I kind of half expected Julia to be some kind of time traveler or something with her promise that the ring would still be there if/when he was ready to buy it.

Thanks for the quick and uplifting read!
Posted By: sarah Re: FDK- The Ring 1/1 - 02/15/17 07:35 PM
Ahhh, what a difference a day can make. Sweet story. It seems just like something Clark would have done. Picking out what ring would suit Lois and one he could clearly see in his mind's eye as hers, way in advance. Sarah
Posted By: NostalgiaKick Re: FDK- The Ring 1/1 - 02/15/17 09:22 PM
Thanks everyone! smile

I've been so busy and stressed lately, I've had so little time to work on any of my hobbies and stress makes it so hard to concentrate. It was wonderful to feel all the disconnected cogs of my brain actually mesh enough to write!

This story is one of several I've played with and never written, simply because they're all completely A-plot less and I didn't know how well they'd be received.
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK- The Ring 1/1 - 02/16/17 01:05 AM
Sweet little ficlet! It explains why Clark had The Ring at the ready when he proposed! I especially liked the inclusion of Julia Philips. Her characters and duties at the store as well as her advancement was easily displayed with a few well-written lines.

Brava!
Posted By: cuidadora Re: FDK- The Ring 1/1 - 02/16/17 01:11 AM
What a delightful story! clap I like B plots without A plots, especially around Valentine's Day in the often-bleak midwinter. (At least in the northern hemisphere.) goofy

And sometimes the shorter stories can inspire a longer one, whether from you or someone else. wink
Posted By: NostalgiaKick Re: FDK- The Ring 1/1 - 02/16/17 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by cuidadora
And sometimes the shorter stories can inspire a longer one, whether from you or someone else.
And sometimes even a series. No, I'm not implying that this will become part of a series; I was thinking more along the lines of At First Sight. It was supposed to be a standalone when I wrote it lol.

In longer stories, I like a least a bit of A-plot. But short stories are great with just B-plot smile

Morgana- I'm glad you liked Julia! I'm not good at OC's (which is why I write fanfic and not just fic), but this one seemed to work okay smile
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK- The Ring 1/1 - 02/16/17 03:19 AM
simply because they're all completely A-plot less and I didn't know how well they'd be received.

Uh, bring on the B-plot WAFFyness! I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I definitely have days where I need some B-plot coziness without the distraction of an A-plot.
Posted By: PuffyTiger Re: FDK- The Ring 1/1 - 02/16/17 05:26 AM
Oh, come on. We are folcs, we love waff with no A plot, lol.

I appreciated the 3rd person view of Clark. As much as I love getting inside their heads, I enjoy seeing what other people think of them too smile I'm so glad you were able to find time to write this. Thanks for sharing with us!
Posted By: NostalgiaKick Re: FDK- The Ring 1/1 - 02/16/17 08:34 AM
DC and PuffyTiger- I promise, I'll write the WAFF lol.

I'm kid-free tomorrow (doesn't happen often) I'm going to see how much I can get written without the distractions smile
Posted By: Millefeuilles Re: FDK- The Ring 1/1 - 02/16/17 12:33 PM
How sweet! I love it, and Julia really has a "voice" of her own...
No wonder Clark attracted her attention, "drawing circles" around this ring.
The first scene when she first notices him was beautifully evocative.
Thanks for a very enjoyable reading!
Posted By: Mike M Re: FDK- The Ring 1/1 - 02/17/17 05:57 PM
I also enjoyed the story. It has been told many times and this one offered a distinct perspective (Julia's). Not totally fluffy WAFF as it wandered into the time where Clark was totally convinced that Lois was moving on with Dan but close enough.

Mike
Posted By: NostalgiaKick Re: FDK- The Ring 1/1 - 02/18/17 12:45 PM
Thanks Mike and Millefeuilles!
It was a fun piece to write; I'm glad you all enjoyed reading it as much I as I enjoyed writing it. Definitely going to try to write a few less-serious stories for a while smile
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK- The Ring 1/1 - 03/19/17 07:42 PM
Hi Feli!
She was putting the last few rings out when she became aware of someone studying the window display. Looking up awkwardly, she spotted an attractive, dark-haired man; he met her gaze for a moment, giving her an engaging, almost shy grin before he turned his attention back to the rings. With a final flashing smile, he walked away, leaving Julia craning to see where he went.
Probably a good idea. He’s either a conman or a straight out jewelry robber staking out his next heist.

and the men that proposed because it was the expected thing to do.
Well…if she’s expecting her father might be expecting a ring.

“Do you still have that ring?”
Very nice origin story! smile1 I was wondering if the ring would stay available or not.

wave Michael
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards