Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I'm not sure how to post this. I agreed with the commenters that Martha and Jonathan needed their own scenes with Lois. This first post has the scenes in Smallville and Lois' return to Metropolis in disguise. I'm posting the whole revised final chapter in the post below this one, in case anyone wants to read it in context. No additional comments page, will add a link at the end. Any formatting errors will be corrected before submitting to the Archive. I've decided to submit the whole story as one story called "Don't Be Cruel."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, Lois took a train from Metropolis headed to Miami. She had called Lucy to let her know that she had made a reservation for a cruise under an assumed name. There was no reservation. During the night, Superman whisked her from the train.

Now she was flying in his arms. She had her backpack in her lap. It was beautiful, crossing the country through the night air. The shadows seemed non-threatening in his arms. She felt comforted, and yet… she longed to be in Clark's arms.

How ridiculous was that? A few days ago she would have given almost anything to fly this long alone in Superman's arms. And now she was thinking of Clark? She shook her head to clear her thoughts and concentrated on what she could see of the country below. Off to their right she saw the lights of a city.

Superman spoke softly in her ear, "Kansas City. We'll be at the Kent Farm shortly."

She nodded and felt conflicted. Sad that the flight was almost over while at the same time relieved it was ending. More than conflicted, she felt confused. Maybe at the farm away from all the city noises and pressures, she could sort out her conflicting and confusing thoughts and emotions. She hoped so, because in the days ahead Lois would need to focus on the Luthor investigation. A part of her still hoped he was the benign businessman he portrayed to the world. But when she was honest with herself, she had recognized the emotions he fleetingly allowed her to see at their last encounter. Anger and cold hate. And she had to believe what Superman heard.

She was pulled from her thoughts as they gently touched down beside the Kents' back porch. The porch light was on, a beacon welcoming them. As Martha appeared at the door with a huge smile on her face, and Jonathan behind her the picture of solidarity and safety, Lois felt comforted like she was a child being greeted by her parents. As if Clark's parents were delighted to see her, welcoming her home.

Martha ran to her with her arms open, and Lois dropped her backpack when she found herself engulfed in Martha's arms. Jonathan and Superman were quietly speaking. Lois in her surprise at Martha's greeting, missed their words. Walking almost in a daze on autopilot, Lois found herself sitting at the kitchen table with Jonathan and Superman. It was surreal to see Superman sitting in the Kents' kitchen as if he'd been here a hundred times before. Then she chuckled to herself, thinking if anyone could make Superman relaxed and feel at home it would be Martha and Jonathan.

Shaking herself out of her thoughts, she focused on Martha who asked when she'd last eaten.

"Oh, lunch."

"Lunch! That was hours ago. Honey, you need to eat. I have some leftovers from dinner, or can make you a sandwich and soup if you'd like a lighter meal."

"The soup and sandwich would be great. Thanks Martha."

Suddenly Superman raised his head as if he were listening to something intently. He stood up and said, "I have to go. Lois, I'll be back tomorrow evening to fill you in on what's happening."

Lois nodded, and he was gone. Before she could process his departure, Martha had set a sandwich and bowl of soup in front of her, and asked what she'd like to drink with her meal.

While Lois ate, Martha and Jonathan sipped cups of tea and each had a scone. Lois remembered Clark said how he loved Martha's scones with tea. When offered one, Lois politely declined. Somehow she felt it was wrong without Clark here. She knew that it would only feel right if the first time she had one they ate Martha's scones together.

After finishing her meal, Martha showed her to Clark's room again and wished her goodnight. Lois used the bathroom and then changed into comfortable pajamas. The pillow smelled of Clark. Earth and sunshine filled her thoughts as she drifted off to sleep.

Lois slept better than she had in days. She awoke to the smell of coffee and breakfast. Looking at the clock, she realized it was 6 AM, which was 7 AM in Metropolis. She stretched and felt rested. Changing quickly, she ran a brush through her hair and headed downstairs.

Martha greeted her pleasantly. She offered Lois a cup of coffee, and told her to fix it as she liked. When Lois expressed surprise to see her favorite artificial sweetener and creamer, Martha explained that Clark had told her. Lois was comforted to know that Martha and Clark cared enough to see she had this small comfort of home. Over breakfast, Lois told Martha and Jonathan about her part in the investigation. Since she had nothing specific to do today, she asked if she could help with anything.

Jonathan's morning chores were done, and he was headed out to town for some errands. He suggested that Lois stay with Martha today. It would be easier for Lois to remain unseen inside the house. Lois found herself agreeing, feeling she needed time to decompress from the stresses of the past few days.

When Martha shooed her out of the kitchen, Lois found herself in the living room. She looked at the pictures of Clark at various ages. She noticed there were no pictures of him from several years, which she guessed were in junior high school. She asked Martha about it when Martha entered the living room.

"Oh honey, that was a difficult time for Clark. The pictures of him are too sad to show."

"Really? I rarely see him sad or upset these days. What made him so sad, if it's not too personal."

Martha invited Lois to sit. They both sat on the couch and Martha sighed. "What has Clark told you about his childhood?"

"Not much. He said he was adopted, and I guess I always assumed it was a happy childhood. He certainly seemed loved by the people we met in Smallville, welcoming him home."

Weighing her words, honed by years of practice with not telling a blatant lie while preserving Clark's secret, Martha began, "Clark's adoption was a private adoption. To protect him, we had the records sealed. And the gossip mill in a small town… Well, this was the 1960s, and that kind of adoption usually meant that the child was borne out of wedlock. At least that's what the town's gossips decided.

"In junior high at the same time he started puberty with all the changes that entailed, his friends became aware of the gossip. He overheard cruel comments about his biological parents, and he couldn't refute them. You see, we didn't know who his parents were, and there was no way to trace them. The kids he had defended and befriended since kindergarten suddenly turned away from him. If they didn't talk about him, most of them didn't support him either. It was a very lonely time for Clark. We don't display pictures of that time because it brings back too many sad memories. And I mean Jonathan and me. Clark never mentions it, but I get so angry just thinking about the cruel way the gossips treated Clark."

Lois found herself with tears in her eyes. Suddenly she knew exactly why Clark had never engaged in gossip at work. And any lingering doubts she harbored that Clark might talk about what she confidently shared with him disappeared forever as she spoke with Martha.

Uncharacteristically for Lois, she replied, "Martha, please. Don't say anything you don't want to say. And don't share more than you think Clark would want you to share. I can see how awful that time was, and in this one instance even though I'm an investigative reporter, I don't want to discover more information." And she bit her tongue to keep from asking the hundreds of questions that jumped to her mind. But this was Clark they were talking about. She had already hurt him at the park, and no way would Lois hurt him again, at least not intentionally or this soon.

"Thank you Lois. I know how curious this must make you. And I love you for not pressing me for more. Let me finish, though. From the time he was a small child, Clark always stood up for the smaller kids or those who others singled out to tease or torment. Suddenly, when he needed someone to support him he found himself alone. And many of the kids he thought were his friends also seemed to enjoy the stories and teasing him.

"The only one who supported him quietly yet steadfastly was Rachel Harris, now the sheriff. I think that's the real reason they went to their senior prom together. Clark was her friend when the most popular girls in school made fun of her. Both of them supported each other in good times and bad. Jonathan and I had always taught him not to respond in kind with cruel words or with violence. Clark honored that, and never retaliated. He would walk away from provocations and became known as a loner.

"He did find solace in writing and joined the school paper. Even became the editor his senior year. In the paper he worked with other kids who the most popular kids ignored or tormented. Together they found strength. That's where he learned first-hand the lesson that meekness is not a weakness.

"In Sunday School Clark had learned that there is strength in meekness. I think initially he found it was a lesson that was more theoretical than practical. Jonathan often quoted Swami Sivananda, 'Humility is not cowardice. Meekness is not weakness. Humility and meekness are indeed spiritual powers.' And Clark adopted this. He can explain it better, but during his world travels he discovered that meekness is a universal strength many spiritual advisors seek and teach.

"I don't know what you see when you see the meekness and humility in Clark. I can tell you what I see though. I see the underlying strength that others miss. And more than that, I see Jonathan. You see, Jonathan is exactly that kind of man. And if Clark were his biological son I don't believe he would act any more like Jonathan than he already does."

"Oh Martha, I had no idea. I always thought Clark had, well kind of a perfect childhood. Maybe a little like a Norman Rockwell painting. He almost always seems so positive and upbeat. You'd never know that anyone had ever hurt him."

"Lois, no one has a perfect childhood. That's part of life, I think. Everyone copes differently with what happened. Some people get angry and irritable, while others respond to the same events by becoming gracious and kind.

"Would you like some tea and a scone?"

"I'll take the tea Martha. But if you don't mind, Clark shared with me how much he loves your tea and scones. And the first time I try one I'd really like it to be with him. Do you mind?"

"Of course not honey! I think that's lovely."

Martha excused herself with tears in her eyes and retreated to the kitchen. She knew Lois was special the first time she met her. Now if Lois would only realize how much she loved Clark. Martha suspected Lois was in love with Clark, but didn't yet realize it. Or couldn't admit it to herself or anyone else.

A few minutes later Martha brought them both iced tea, and then pulled out her scrapbooks and photo albums. Together she and Lois spent the next few hours pouring over them as Martha shared happy stories of Clark's childhood.

Lois enjoyed learning more about Clark. Even more than when she was in Smallville the first time, she came to see new depth to his character. And she was falling more in love with him the more she learned. What surprised her most was discovering the loneliness he felt as a child. Her respect for him and her shame at her own behavior towards him grew.

Over lunch, Jonathan asked Lois about her planned disguise. Lois explained it, and Martha volunteered to help. Lois had seen the Halloween costumes Martha had made in the past for Clark and was impressed with Martha's skills. Especially when Jonathan relayed that Martha often made them without a "store bought" pattern, instead making her own. He also proudly told Lois about Martha's costume designs for the local community theater.

While Martha looked through Clark's old clothes for ideas and possibilities that could be altered to fit Lois, Jonathan and Lois headed to the barn. Lois was introduced to the barn cats and to the two milk cows. Jonathan promised to show her how to milk the cows with the evening milking. He mucked out the stalls while she was there. And to her surprise, the smells weren't as annoying as she thought they would be. She could smell hay and earth mostly.

Jonathan showed her the farm machinery and explained the purpose of each one. He calmly explained how the farm was actually a small business, and not only included farm machinery but also the fax machine, computer, cell phone, other office equipment and supplies. When in town, Jonathan had also bought a copy of the Metropolis Star for Lois to read. Lois was touched at his kindness in bringing her a Metropolis paper. He told her stories of Clark and the farm animals.

And asked her if she'd like to take a walk around the farm.

"Jonathan, I thought I needed to stay near the house and barn."

"Oh, we'll be out of sight of the road. Just thought you'd like to see there's more to the farm than the barn and house."

"Okay, let's go!"

He showed her the pond where Clark had caught his first fish. And as they toured some of the fields, he shared more stories of Clark as a boy. As they were walking back, they passed Clark's tree house.

Lois looked up and asked, "Is that a tree house?"

"Yes, Clark and I built it when he was around 10 years old."

"What does the sign say?"

"Fortress of Solitude."

"When did he name it?"

"Shortly after it was built."

"What a sad name. And a mouthful for a 10 year-old! But how is it accessed? There aren't steps, and the branches look too high to reach from the ground."

He winked and said, "Well, Lois, that's why we have ladders."

"Can I see it?"

"Sorry. That's Clark's private place. Without his permission, no you can't. I think though he'd like to show it to you himself. And it would mean more to you for him to share that part of his life with you."

"Clark has more secrets than I ever guessed!"

Lois, if you only knew, Jonathan thought. He winked and said, "Well, maybe someday if you're lucky he'll share all of them with you."

They laughed together and walked back to the farmhouse.

As promised, Superman arrived that evening with a stack of research for Lois to review. There was a long note from Clark included, and Perry had included one as well. Superman reported that Perry, Jimmy and Clark were working hard and looked forward to Lois joining them in a few days. Lois told them she'd decided on the name "Logan" for her identity as Clark's cousin. Superman suggested that she use one of the family surnames. Kent and Clark were the two most closely associated with Clark, with Clark being Martha's maiden name. Lois promised to talk it over with Jonathan and Martha and get their input. She thought Clark should approve the final decision.

The rest of her visit to the Kent Farm was spent in learning more about Clark and his parents, going through the material Superman brought and working with Martha on her disguise. Lois found the contrast between her parents and Clark's even more acutely, and grew very fond of Martha and Jonathan. Martha often referred to Lois as "Honey." Lois surprised herself by finding it heartwarming, not condescending. Tears would come to her eyes when she thought about how they had accepted her into their home, and freely given her the love and acceptance her own parents rarely did. She enjoyed Martha who was quietly efficient without being overly aggressive. And Lois found comfort in Jonathan's quiet strength and dignity. Lois thought she could learn much more from both of them, and hoped she'd have the opportunity in the future.

Before she left, Martha and Jonathan took her aside. They told her they couldn't predict the future, but as far as they both were concerned she was now family. If she ever needed anything, she should call. And they hoped she'd visit again under more pleasant circumstances. Lois stood speechless with her jaw dropped when they told her that.

When Superman arrived on the evening of the fifth day, he was surprised to find Lois as "Logan" waiting for him. He was impressed with the disguise, and generously complimented Martha and Lois/Logan. After a few minutes they flew back to Metropolis. Superman dropped Logan off in an alley next to the bus stop. From there Logan arrived at Clark's apartment via cab to avoid suspicion.

Superman followed Logan above the clouds until Logan safely reached Clark's apartment. Perry and Jimmy greeted Logan, and heartily approved the disguise. After Superman stopped a nearby mugging, he changed into his Clark clothes and arrived at the apartment shortly after Logan. Both Jimmy and Perry met with Clark and Lois during the day and for dinner at Clark's apartment before spending nights at Perry's house. Alice was still in Florida, and remained safely there for now.

Clark gave Lois his bed, and he slept on the couch. That allowed Superman to come and go without disturbing her. Although Metropolis and the world remained unusually quiet so that his unexpected disappearances were few and far between.

[End of added scene]
Comments

TOC

A/N: Sorry for the delay. Have been slowly getting back up to speed after Hurricane Matthew hit this area hard. My family is safe, and blessed compared to others who lost their homes from falling trees mostly.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Here's the whole last part for context.

~~~~

From the last part…

Taking a deep breath Lois then asked, "Are you Ordinary Guy?"

"What? Who?"

Now…

"Oh, did I say that out loud?"

"Loud enough for me to hear it anyway."

"Um, can you forget I said anything?"

"On one condition Lois."

"Condition?"

"Yes…" Clark stalled to figure out what to say to her. He was so surprised at the sudden turn in conversation that he didn't know what he felt about her question, let alone how to answer her. Should he be outraged? Angry? Confess all? In his mind's eye he saw a gloating Trask lighting a match to burn his parents and Wayne Irig while alive. Then Trask morphed into Luthor. No, this was not the time or place for that confession. And he really wanted to do it as Clark, not Superman.

He took a deep breath and then stood up. Looking out her window, he focused on the roof and building across the street. He stayed away from the window so no one on the street would see him, and in scanning saw no microphones or cameras aimed at her windows. He paced in back and forth, trying to figure out what to say.

Continuing his mantra over and over. Don't. Be. Cruel.

The silence stretched on for several minutes as he thought of possible responses, then discarded them. Finally, he stopped, and turned to face her. Standing tall and straight with his arms across his chest and even though he was out of uniform, there was no doubt that Superman was about to speak.

Then he cautiously spoke, "Do you trust me?"

"Yes! Of course I trust you."

"Then prove it. Promise me you'll drop this line of thought and don't even think about researching it. It's a distraction… possibly a fatal one. Trask almost killed Clark, his parents and neighbor thinking Clark knew that information. I know Luthor would do the same. And both of them would consider torture a reasonable way to get that information. There can be no distractions or we will lose this war. And it is a war. After what I learned today, I'm convinced we're dealing with a sociopath who is likely also a megalomaniac. And he's hiding as the city's philanthropist."

Lois had been thinking how she could research who Ordinary Guy was. She realized with dismay that Lex with all his resources could very well find out if she did make any inquiries, online or off. And she desperately wanted Superman to trust her. She bit her lower lip and said, "You're right. I promise to drop this. I do reserve the right to ask you again in the future."

She saw the gleam of humor in his eyes as he responded, "Now, you wouldn't be Lois Lane if you didn't."

Nodding her head in the affirmative she then asked, "Should we make a list of those we can trust? Who else can help?"

"Sounds like a plan. Who do you suggest?"

Thoughtfully she replied, "Clark of course. And Perry, Jimmy and Henderson. Jack is probably on that list, but he's in custody."

"Good start. I think we should assume everyone else is potentially compromised unless we've all agreed they're okay. If any one has a suspicion, that should be enough to not trust that person for the time being. Why don't I ask Clark to ask Mr. White, Jimmy and maybe Inspector Henderson to meet as a task force with you? I may need to meet with one or more of you separately. Since I'm not exactly inconspicuous in my uniform, and I'd rather not share this disguise with anyone else. You'll keep this disguise confidential, won't you Lois?"

"Of course. You didn't even need to ask."

"You and Clark at least should meet tonight. His apartment may be the best place, if you can get there in disguise. Do you need anything else? Food? Something for your disguise?"

She shook her head no. He checked her phones, and found them clean. They made arrangements for Clark to call her when a meeting was finalized, hopefully for that night. She and Clark would think of how to get her to his apartment without discovery. They'd discuss it when he called. She promised to stay in the apartment until then.

~~~~~

When Clark left Lois, he flew to Star Labs. There he met with Dr. Bernard Klein, a new researcher who was helping Superman. He picked up eight of their supersonic Superman watches that he had previously arranged to have made. The Superman Foundation would reimburse Star Labs for them. He planned on giving one each to the task force members and his parents as added insurance in case one of them needed super help. For appearances sake, Clark would also get one.

"Thanks. I really appreciate this."

"It's my pleasure. After all you do everyday, including saving the world from Nightfall, it's the least we can do to show our gratitude."

He took off from Star Labs and flew to Kansas.

Landing behind the barn, he spun into jeans and a plaid shirt and then headed for the farmhouse.

Inside, he found his parents having a snack in the kitchen. Martha stood up, came over and gave him a hug. They exchanged greetings.

"What brings you here son?" Jonathan asked.

"I have some special watches for you. Remember the one that Jimmy had when Lois and I were in Smallville?"

"Yes, you said that was how you knew your powers were back."

"Well, I have enough watches for each of you to have one, and for everyone that will work with us on nailing Luthor."

"Us, huh?" Martha asked.

"Yes, Mom. Lois and I are forming a task force," Clark replied. Over warm oatmeal raisin cookies and buttermilk he then proceeded to fill them in on their plans. He also demonstrated how the watches worked. While he didn't think Luthor would do anything to his parents, he had decided that he'd rather be overcautious than overconfident.

Before he left, Martha surprised him with a new suit. Dr. Klein at Star Labs had created the fabric that was tougher than normal spandex. The colors were identical to the blue and red that was world famous. The fabric was bulkier because included in the threads were lead filaments to give him some protection against the deadly kryptonite radiation. It required specially cutting tool, needles and thread. All of which Dr. Klein had supplied. Preliminary testing at Star Labs was promising, although he hadn't shared his exposure to kryptonite with his parents. Martha had also made a pair of gauntlets for him, also made of the blue fabric. She was unsure if he would or could use them, but wanted him to have the option.

Additionally, Jonathan had bought lead foil, and they had lined a pair of boots for Clark with lead. And they gave him extra sheets of the foil that he could fold and discretely carry. Clark spun into the new suit, boots and gauntlets, which Martha pronounced a satisfactory fit. They said goodbye with hugs, and then Clark flew to his apartment.

Superman was able to get Lois out of her apartment and onto Clark's balcony after dark without the watchers suspecting anything. The meeting went well, with Jimmy and Lois planning to work on the Board of Directors angle. Lois would work from the Kent Farm for the next few days, then return as Clark's cousin. Perry would use his contacts to look into how much the Planet was insured before the bombing. He also planned to talk to the circulation manager and former Planet executives to find out what exactly was the extent of the financial woes of the paper. And when it had started. Plus, he would be talking to possible investors about buying the Daily Planet. The media mogul Franklin Stern was at the top of his list of potential investors to contact.

Henderson was assembling a trusted task force in the MPD and DA's office to have warrants and teams ready to search and arrest when needed.

Clark would be looking into the shadowy figure called "The Boss" who seemed to be responsible for the crime in the city. At the least Clark suspected Luthor worked with "The Boss" if he actually wasn't him. Superman would be available for whatever the team needed. Clark distributed the watches and explained how to use them. He cautioned everyone that Superman could become annoyed if the signals were abused.

The next day, Lois took a train from Metropolis headed to Miami. She had called Lucy to let her know that she had made a reservation for a cruise under an assumed name. There was no reservation. During the night, Superman whisked her from the train.

Now she was flying in his arms. She had her backpack in her lap. It was beautiful, crossing the country through the night air. The shadows seemed non-threatening in his arms. She felt comforted, and yet… she longed to be in Clark's arms.

How ridiculous was that? A few days ago she would have given almost anything to fly this long alone in Superman's arms. And now she was thinking of Clark? She shook her head to clear her thoughts and concentrated on what she could see of the country below. Off to their right she saw the lights of a city.

Superman spoke softly in her ear, "Kansas City. We'll be at the Kent Farm shortly."

She nodded and felt conflicted. Sad that the flight was almost over while at the same time relieved it was ending. More than conflicted, she felt confused. Maybe at the farm away from all the city noises and pressures, she could sort out her conflicting and confusing thoughts and emotions. She hoped so, because in the days ahead Lois would need to focus on the Luthor investigation. A part of her still hoped he was the benign businessman he portrayed to the world. But when she was honest with herself, she had recognized the emotions he fleetingly allowed her to see at their last encounter. Anger and cold hate. And she had to believe what Superman heard.

She was pulled from her thoughts as they gently touched down beside the Kents' back porch. The porch light was on, a beacon welcoming them. As Martha appeared at the door with a huge smile on her face, and Jonathan behind her the picture of solidarity and safety, Lois felt comforted like she was a child being greeted by her parents. As if Clark's parents were delighted to see her, welcoming her home.

Martha ran to her with her arms open, and Lois dropped her backpack when she found herself engulfed in Martha's arms. Jonathan and Superman were quietly speaking. Lois in her surprise at Martha's greeting, missed their words. Walking almost in a daze on autopilot, Lois found herself sitting at the kitchen table with Jonathan and Superman. It was surreal to see Superman sitting in the Kents' kitchen as if he'd been here a hundred times before. Then she chuckled to herself, thinking if anyone could make Superman relaxed and feel at home it would be Martha and Jonathan.

Shaking herself out of her thoughts, she focused on Martha who asked when she'd last eaten.

"Oh, lunch."

"Lunch! That was hours ago. Honey, you need to eat. I have some leftovers from dinner, or can make you a sandwich and soup if you'd like a lighter meal."

"The soup and sandwich would be great. Thanks Martha."

Suddenly Superman raised his head as if he were listening to something intently. He stood up and said, "I have to go. Lois, I'll be back tomorrow evening to fill you in on what's happening."

Lois nodded, and he was gone. Before she could process his departure, Martha had set a sandwich and bowl of soup in front of her, and asked what she'd like to drink with her meal.

While Lois ate, Martha and Jonathan sipped cups of tea and each had a scone. Lois remembered Clark said how he loved Martha's scones with tea. When offered one, Lois politely declined. Somehow she felt it was wrong without Clark here. She knew that it would only feel right if the first time she had one they ate Martha's scones together.

After finishing her meal, Martha showed her to Clark's room again and wished her goodnight. Lois used the bathroom and then changed into comfortable pajamas. The pillow smelled of Clark. Earth and sunshine filled her thoughts as she drifted off to sleep.

Lois slept better than she had in days. She awoke to the smell of coffee and breakfast. Looking at the clock, she realized it was 6 AM, which was 7 AM in Metropolis. She stretched and felt rested. Changing quickly, she ran a brush through her hair and headed downstairs.

Martha greeted her pleasantly. She offered Lois a cup of coffee, and told her to fix it as she liked. When Lois expressed surprise to see her favorite artificial sweetener and creamer, Martha explained that Clark had told her. Lois was comforted to know that Martha and Clark cared enough to see she had this small comfort of home. Over breakfast, Lois told Martha and Jonathan about her part in the investigation. Since she had nothing specific to do today, she asked if she could help with anything.

Jonathan's morning chores were done, and he was headed out to town for some errands. He suggested that Lois stay with Martha today. It would be easier for Lois to remain unseen inside the house. Lois found herself agreeing, feeling she needed time to decompress from the stresses of the past few days.

When Martha shooed her out of the kitchen, Lois found herself in the living room. She looked at the pictures of Clark at various ages. She noticed there were no pictures of him from several years, which she guessed were in junior high school. She asked Martha about it when Martha entered the living room.

"Oh honey, that was a difficult time for Clark. The pictures of him are too sad to show."

"Really? I rarely see him sad or upset these days. What made him so sad, if it's not too personal."

Martha invited Lois to sit. They both sat on the couch and Martha sighed. "What has Clark told you about his childhood?"

"Not much. He said he was adopted, and I guess I always assumed it was a happy childhood. He certainly seemed loved by the people we met in Smallville, welcoming him home."

Weighing her words, honed by years of practice with not telling a blatant lie while preserving Clark's secret, Martha began, "Clark's adoption was a private adoption. To protect him, we had the records sealed. And the gossip mill in a small town… Well, this was the 1960s, and that kind of adoption usually meant that the child was borne out of wedlock. At least that's what the town's gossips decided.

"In junior high at the same time he started puberty with all the changes that entailed, his friends became aware of the gossip. He overheard cruel comments about his biological parents, and he couldn't refute them. You see, we didn't know who his parents were, and there was no way to trace them. The kids he had defended and befriended since kindergarten suddenly turned away from him. If they didn't talk about him, most of them didn't support him either. It was a very lonely time for Clark. We don't display pictures of that time because it brings back too many sad memories. And I mean Jonathan and me. Clark never mentions it, but I get so angry just thinking about the cruel way the gossips treated Clark."

Lois found herself with tears in her eyes. Suddenly she knew exactly why Clark had never engaged in gossip at work. And any lingering doubts she harbored that Clark might talk about what she confidently shared with him disappeared forever as she spoke with Martha.

Uncharacteristically for Lois, she replied, "Martha, please. Don't say anything you don't want to say. And don't share more than you think Clark would want you to share. I can see how awful that time was, and in this one instance even though I'm an investigative reporter, I don't want to discover more information." And she bit her tongue to keep from asking the hundreds of questions that jumped to her mind. But this was Clark they were talking about. She had already hurt him at the park, and no way would Lois hurt him again, at least not intentionally or this soon.

"Thank you Lois. I know how curious this must make you. And I love you for not pressing me for more. Let me finish, though. From the time he was a small child, Clark always stood up for the smaller kids or those who others singled out to tease or torment. Suddenly, when he needed someone to support him he found himself alone. And many of the kids he thought were his friends also seemed to enjoy the stories and teasing him.

"The only one who supported him quietly yet steadfastly was Rachel Harris, now the sheriff. I think that's the real reason they went to their senior prom together. Clark was her friend when the most popular girls in school made fun of her. Both of them supported each other in good times and bad. Jonathan and I had always taught him not to respond in kind with cruel words or with violence. Clark honored that, and never retaliated. He would walk away from provocations and became known as a loner.

"He did find solace in writing and joined the school paper. Even became the editor his senior year. In the paper he worked with other kids who the most popular kids ignored or tormented. Together they found strength. That's where he learned first-hand the lesson that meekness is not a weakness.

"In Sunday School Clark had learned that there is strength in meekness. I think initially he found it was a lesson that was more theoretical than practical. Jonathan often quoted Swami Sivananda, 'Humility is not cowardice. Meekness is not weakness. Humility and meekness are indeed spiritual powers.' And Clark adopted this. He can explain it better, but during his world travels he discovered that meekness is a universal strength many spiritual advisors seek and teach.

"I don't know what you see when you see the meekness and humility in Clark. I can tell you what I see though. I see the underlying strength that others miss. And more than that, I see Jonathan. You see, Jonathan is exactly that kind of man. And if Clark were his biological son I don't believe he would act any more like Jonathan than he already does."

"Oh Martha, I had no idea. I always thought Clark had, well kind of a perfect childhood. Maybe a little like a Norman Rockwell painting. He almost always seems so positive and upbeat. You'd never know that anyone had ever hurt him."

"Lois, no one has a perfect childhood. That's part of life, I think. Everyone copes differently with what happened. Some people get angry and irritable, while others respond to the same events by becoming gracious and kind.

"Would you like some tea and a scone?"

"I'll take the tea Martha. But if you don't mind, Clark shared with me how much he loves your tea and scones. And the first time I try one I'd really like it to be with him. Do you mind?"

"Of course not honey! I think that's lovely."

Martha excused herself with tears in her eyes and retreated to the kitchen. She knew Lois was special the first time she met her. Now if Lois would only realize how much she loved Clark. Martha suspected Lois was in love with Clark, but didn't yet realize it. Or couldn't admit it to herself or anyone else.

A few minutes later Martha brought them both iced tea, and then pulled out her scrapbooks and photo albums. Together she and Lois spent the next few hours pouring over them as Martha shared happy stories of Clark's childhood.

Lois enjoyed learning more about Clark. Even more than when she was in Smallville the first time, she came to see new depth to his character. And she was falling more in love with him the more she learned. What surprised her most was discovering the loneliness he felt as a child. Her respect for him and her shame at her own behavior towards him grew.

Over lunch, Jonathan asked Lois about her planned disguise. Lois explained it, and Martha volunteered to help. Lois had seen the Halloween costumes Martha had made in the past for Clark and was impressed with Martha's skills. Especially when Jonathan relayed that Martha often made them without a "store bought" pattern, instead making her own. He also proudly told Lois about Martha's costume designs for the local community theater.

While Martha looked through Clark's old clothes for ideas and possibilities that could be altered to fit Lois, Jonathan and Lois headed to the barn. Lois was introduced to the barn cats and to the two milk cows. Jonathan promised to show her how to milk the cows with the evening milking. He mucked out the stalls while she was there. And to her surprise, the smells weren't as annoying as she thought they would be. She could smell hay and earth mostly.

Jonathan showed her the farm machinery and explained the purpose of each one. He calmly explained how the farm was actually a small business, and not only included farm machinery but also the fax machine, computer, cell phone, other office equipment and supplies. When in town, Jonathan had also bought a copy of the Metropolis Star for Lois to read. Lois was touched at his kindness in bringing her a Metropolis paper. He told her stories of Clark and the farm animals.

And asked her if she'd like to take a walk around the farm.

"Jonathan, I thought I needed to stay near the house and barn."

"Oh, we'll be out of sight of the road. Just thought you'd like to see there's more to the farm than the barn and house."

"Okay, let's go!"

He showed her the pond where Clark had caught his first fish. And as they toured some of the fields, he shared more stories of Clark as a boy. As they were walking back, they passed Clark's tree house.

Lois looked up and asked, "Is that a tree house?"

"Yes, Clark and I built it when he was around 10 years old."

"What does the sign say?"

"Fortress of Solitude."

"When did he name it?"

"Shortly after it was built."

"What a sad name. And a mouthful for a 10 year-old! But how is it accessed? There aren't steps, and the branches look too high to reach from the ground."

He winked and said, "Well, Lois, that's why we have ladders."

"Can I see it?"

"Sorry. That's Clark's private place. Without his permission, no you can't. I think though he'd like to show it to you himself. And it would mean more to you for him to share that part of his life with you."

"Clark has more secrets than I ever guessed!"

Lois, if you only knew, Jonathan thought. He winked and said, "Well, maybe someday if you're lucky he'll share all of them with you."

They laughed together and walked back to the farmhouse.

As promised, Superman arrived that evening with a stack of research for Lois to review. There was a long note from Clark included, and Perry had included one as well. Superman reported that Perry, Jimmy and Clark were working hard and looked forward to Lois joining them in a few days. Lois told them she'd decided on the name "Logan" for her identity as Clark's cousin. Superman suggested that she use one of the family surnames. Kent and Clark were the two most closely associated with Clark, with Clark being Martha's maiden name. Lois promised to talk it over with Jonathan and Martha and get their input. She thought Clark should approve the final decision.

The rest of her visit to the Kent Farm was spent in learning more about Clark and his parents, going through the material Superman brought and working with Martha on her disguise. Lois found the contrast between her parents and Clark's even more acutely, and grew very fond of Martha and Jonathan. Martha often referred to Lois as "Honey." Lois surprised herself by finding it heartwarming, not condescending. Tears would come to her eyes when she thought about how they had accepted her into their home, and freely given her the love and acceptance her own parents rarely did. She enjoyed Martha who was quietly efficient without being overly aggressive. And Lois found comfort in Jonathan's quiet strength and dignity. Lois thought she could learn much more from both of them, and hoped she'd have the opportunity in the future.

Before she left, Martha and Jonathan took her aside. They told her they couldn't predict the future, but as far as they both were concerned she was now family. If she ever needed anything, she should call. And they hoped she'd visit again under more pleasant circumstances. Lois stood speechless with her jaw dropped when they told her that.

When Superman arrived on the evening of the fifth day, he was surprised to find Lois as "Logan" waiting for him. He was impressed with the disguise, and generously complimented Martha and Lois/Logan. After a few minutes they flew back to Metropolis. Superman dropped Logan off in an alley next to the bus stop. From there Logan arrived at Clark's apartment via cab to avoid suspicion.

Superman followed Logan above the clouds until Logan safely reached Clark's apartment. Perry and Jimmy greeted Logan, and heartily approved the disguise. After Superman stopped a nearby mugging, he changed into his Clark clothes and arrived at the apartment shortly after Logan. Both Jimmy and Perry met with Clark and Lois during the day and for dinner at Clark's apartment before spending nights at Perry's house. Alice was still in Florida, and remained safely there for now.

Clark gave Lois his bed, and he slept on the couch. That allowed Superman to come and go without disturbing her. Although Metropolis and the world remained unusually quiet so that his unexpected disappearances were few and far between.

The investigation proceeded. Some days were slower than others. Often one member would become frustrated at a dead end, and another would be excited about a lead. They worked together like a well-oiled machine. Two weeks after Logan's arrival in Metropolis, they had enough solid information that Perry was satisfied in taking it to Henderson. Jimmy and Logan would take it early the next day.

Clark as both himself and Superman surprised the task force with the military precision he used when discussing plans and objectives. He was wholly focused on the daunting task ahead, yet as Clark still retained his good humor. Clark organized the steps needed to accomplish each task, checking them off as they were successful. He refused to concede failure or defeat, instead taking what seemed to be a loss and turning it into a win. The rest of the task force thought Clark was behaving more like a football coach than a reporter. The truth was it was the Lord Kal-El aspect of his personality peeking through.

Late the next morning, there was a call from Mrs. Cox asking Clark to contact Superman to discuss Lois Lane. Clark, Jimmy, Lois and Perry all heard the call when Clark replayed it back on the answering machine. Everyone agreed it was likely a trap, and Superman should not answer it. Lois said it best when she asked, "Since when is Superman at Luthor's beck and call anyway?" Perry, Clark and Jimmy all silently wondered when "Lex" had become "Luthor" in Lois's mind.

Everyone decided the next step was up to Henderson, as they awaited word of his warrants. The only thing that made their investigation bittersweet was Perry's inability to entice an investor in buying the Planet.

That afternoon, there was a fire in an apartment building on the edge of Suicide Slum that raged out of control. Superman arrived and sought the fire chief, asking what he could do to help. Evacuating the living was a priority, so Superman helped the firefighters do that. After almost everyone was evacuated, he heard a child's cry and heartbeat in an apartment. Following the sounds, he arrived in a bedroom of the apartment. Searching for a child, what he found instead was a doll in a bed with a tape recorder playing. Turning around to exit, he suddenly found himself surrounded by six firefighters. Opening his mouth to explain, the firefighters all opened lead boxes they carried, exposing him to kryptonite.

Making a split second decision, he used his super speed to activate a hidden button on his belt before he collapsed. A moment later, one of the faux firefighters put a lead-lined hood over his head. He was grabbed and strapped on a gurney. The kryptonite pieces were placed next to him. Covering him completely with a sheet, the thugs moved the gurney to a waiting ambulance. Unseen by the real firefighters, the ambulance took off and headed for Lex Tower. The faux firefighters also left unseen in the ambulance and an accompanying paramedic vehicle.

The underground parking at Lex Tower was deserted when they arrived except for the security guard, who expected them and let them in wordlessly. They pulled next to a special elevator only for VIPs where Mrs. Cox met them. She used her key card to escort the men with their captive to the wine cellar. The gurney had to be left outside the cellar door, so they unfastened the straps and grabbed Superman, partially carrying and partially dragging him down the stairs. The kryptonite pieces were carefully collected, returned to their boxes and placed in a bag, which was handed to Mrs. Cox when she exited the wine cellar.

Once in the wine cellar, the thugs dropped him into a cage leaving the hood on his head. They locked the cage, handing Mrs. Cox the key. Superman was alone in the cellar. A little later, Luthor arrived.

Luthor went to a remote control device and turned on the glowing green bars of the cage. He stepped up to the door, asking "And how are we feeling today?"

He was rewarded with a groan from Superman.

With false sympathy Luthor cooed, "Oh. A little green around the gills?"

He laughed, never having been in a better mood. "I on the other hand, am feeling wonderful. Today is the first day of my new life. I am going to marry Lois Lane and no one will stand in my way. 'She's beautiful and therefore to be wooed. She is woman, therefore to be won.' Since you are from another planet and simply muscle without brains, you wouldn't know that's from Shakespeare's 'Henry the Fifth.'

"This must be hard for you. Knowing I'm outside this cage, free to marry whomever I choose and live my life fully while you only lie here helplessly and suffer."

Stepping into the cage, Luthor pulled off the hood. Superman didn't move but stared at him. Triumphant at his enemy's defeat, Luthor proclaimed, "Lois is a bit too independent, don't you think? Don't worry. I'll fix that. I will be meeting her soon and convince her that her future lies with me."

The only response he got was another moan from the superhero on the floor.

Then Luthor broke out into song, singing "Tonight" from West Side Story.

With that, he dropped the hood back on top of Superman's head and left the cage, relocking the door as he left. Leaving the key on a wine barrel he gleefully announced, "So near and yet so far." With that he climbed up the steps with a spring in his step still singing to return to his penthouse office.

Peeking under the hood, which no longer covered his eyes, Clark scanned the wine cellar and identified the cameras in the room. 'Only Luthor would record the agonizing death of an opponent, and probably spend the next few years watching it over and over' he thought. Not dwelling on what Luthor planned do with the tapes, he quickly fried the cameras with his heat vision. Then he carefully and silently stood up, looking at the cage door. With a blast of heat vision, he cut through the lock mechanism, and then the cage door swung open.

He found it more difficult to use his heat vision, so quickly found the remote and turned off the power to the kryptonite bars before exiting the wine cellar. He didn't want to completely lose his vision and hearing by exposing his head to the deadly radiation more than necessary. He cautiously used his super senses to check for surveillance, including electronic, human and canine. Once safely outside the cellar, he moved at super speed to the nearest stairwell where he found the exit. As soon as he cleared the exit, he looked around and seeing no one or cameras rocketed into the sky for direct sunlight. He avoided Luthor's balcony view and traveled just slowly enough not to leave a sonic boom.

Meanwhile, Luthor basked in knowing Superman was dying in a cage in the wine cellar. He stood on his balcony, smoking a fine cigar and looking down on the city that was one again "his." Smiling like a Cheshire cat, he inhaled deeply and knew that he had defeated his greatest foe. He reveled in the thought that his next big decision was whether it would be more pleasurable to keep the superhero around for a while and continually torture him or to kill him quickly. His thoughts were interrupted by a commotion in the office.

His office doors were thrown open, and Inspector Henderson burst in with a group of MPD's finest, Perry White, Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen.

Stepping back into the office and surveying the group with fury, Luthor asked, "What is the meaning of this?"

Before Inspector Henderson could say anything, Perry replied, "The meaning, Luthor is that you're through. We have all the evidence we need against you.

Inspector Henderson added, "I have a warrant here charging you with arson and other crimes too numerous to mention."

An infuriated Luthor replied, "You're out of your minds. All of you."

Henderson began to read him his rights, "You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney..."

Luthor interrupted, "Will you stop that! I can afford a thousand attorneys. I'll have your head... badge for this. Someone get the Governor on the phone! Wait, make it the President, make it..."

Henderson grabbed Luthor's arm, but Luthor twisted free, using karate moves on two nearby policemen who tried to restrain him, and headed for the balcony.

Firmly, Henderson said, "It's over, Luthor. You have nowhere to go. Give yourself up."

Mrs. Cox was brought in handcuffed.

Luthor turned to her and said, "Et tu, Mrs. Cox?"

She shrugged at him.

Next Luthor looked at Henderson and then looked over the balcony ledge. He climbed up on the ledge, shouting, "Lex Luthor will not live in a cage!"

Henderson cried, "Luthor, no!"

Luthor calmly replied, "Did you know this is the tallest building in Metropolis? Top of the world!" With that he threw himself over the edge.

Henderson reached for him, but missed. Before he could look over the edge, Superman appeared, carried a very angry Luthor like a sack of potatoes and landed softly on the balcony. Superman turned to Inspector Henderson, "I think this is yours."

Almost cracking a smile Henderson replied, "Thanks. You're timing is perfect."

Luthor sputtered, "I thought kryptonite is poisonous to you!"

As he turned Luthor over to the waiting policemen who promptly restrained and handcuffed Luthor, Superman deadpanned, "Apparently not."

Henderson turned to him and asked, "So we should add attempted murder to the charges?"

Superman nodded, saying, "Yes, and assault, unlawful imprisonment and interfering with emergency services for a start."

Facing the superhero, at that news Henderson did break into a rare genuine smile that only Superman could see. Then he whispered, "By the way, we're here because your signal worked."

Superman nodded whispering back, "Good to know. I'll be sure to thank Dr. Klein and tell him his modified GPS worked."

The next few hours were spent giving statements to the police. Superman had given his statement and was getting ready to leave when Lois approached him.

"Are you really okay?" she asked in a whisper. "You had me scared."

He looked around, saw no one was able to overhear them and quietly replied, "I'm fine."

"But Mrs. Cox said you were exposed to you-know-what."

He leaned close to her and whispered, "Game changer. Special new suit. And Luthor's thugs covered my head with a lead hood so I couldn't see. What they didn't know was that it protected my vision and hearing from exposure."

"Did you really fall unconscious?"

"No. That was an act. All this is off the record."

"Of course! I'm glad you're okay."

"Thanks Lois." With a wink he left by the balcony, flying into the sky. Unseen, he flew in a circle before checking Lois's apartment. The MPD and FBI were just finishing removing surveillance equipment planted by Luthor's hirelings. They cleared her apartment of surveillance equipment, which was confiscated as evidence. After that she was allowed to return to her apartment. Clark in both personas would continue to routinely scan both of their apartments for hidden surveillance equipment. His diligence was at least partially due to his Lord Kal-El persona. Superman returned to Luthor's penthouse as Clark who escorted Lois to his apartment.

Lex Luthor was arrested and placed in isolation on suicide watch. Jack was released the next day from protective custody. Lois moved back into her own apartment. Jack and Jimmy stayed temporarily with Perry.

Henderson made sure that the kryptonite cage and pieces were recovered and destroyed. Additional kryptonite was confiscated with a search conducted simultaneously at Lex Labs.

~~~~~

A week later Lois, Clark, Perry, Jimmy and Jack met on the sidewalk in front of the Daily Planet building. The front entrance was boarded up, the area cordoned off with "BUILDING CONDEMNED" signs on the entrances.

Jimmy spoke with a sigh, "I wish they'd get it over with and tear down this old place."

Perry replied, "Yep, too many memories."

Lois quietly added, "Most of them good."

After a moment, Perry brightened and said, "There's a lesson to be learned here."

Jack grumpily replied, "Why am I not surprised?"

Ignoring him, Perry then said, "We ought to appreciate what we've got when we've got it."

Lois looked at Clark, who was looking at the building. He felt her stare and turned to her. Quickly she changed the subject.

"It's my fault. All of it. If Lex hadn't wanted me so badly he never would've destroyed the Planet… Why me?"

Clark answered her, "Because Lex Luthor always wants what he can never have."

In a near whisper, Lois said, "He almost did."

Clark passionately replied, "No he didn't. You said 'No.' You didn't accept his proposal. And even if you had, you never would have gone through with the wedding."

Lois looked gratefully at Clark, tried to reply, but couldn't speak. Clark stepped towards her and she stepped into his arms for a hug.

Perry interrupted the silence saying, "I know I've said this before, but I hate the idea that Lex Luthor got his way..." Pointing to condemned building, he continued, "... even in this one thing."

The booming voice of Mr. Stern was heard, "He didn't." Coming closer, he pointed and exclaimed, "Look!"

A flatbed truck pulled up to the building. Workmen removed a tarp covering a large object on the truck bed: the Daily Planet globe. Then, a crane began to move it into position.

Everyone was astonished. Perry was the first to find his voice, saying, "Great Shades of Elvis!"

Mr. Stern informed them, "We start on the building next week, but first I thought we'd announce to the world we're back in business." Turning to Perry, he continued, "I reconsidered your proposal. I agree with you, Mr. White. Metropolis needs the Daily Planet. Besides, resurrecting what he tried to obliterate suits me fine and will annoy him for years. I can just see him in his lonely cell being aggravated at what he's lost, and that what he tried to destroy has found new life. I wonder if I should arrange for him to get a subscription daily delivered to his cell…"

Perry chuckled. "He'd likely claim that was cruel and unusual punishment..."

"Oh, and I had some ideas about modernization."

Perry warily asked, "Modernization?"

"Yes, improvements, expansions... Would you like to see the plans?

Mr. Stern headed over to the plans with Perry, Jimmy and Jack following him. Perry added, "Mr. Stern! Now wait just a doggone minute!"

Lois and Clark were left alone.

Looking at the globe, Clark said, "I've never seen anything so beautiful in all my life."

Lois looked at him and saw him in a newfound light.

"You never gave up. On the Planet, on your friends, on me."

Clark looked at her. "I couldn't. You've just named almost everything in the world that's precious to me."

"I don't think I've ever, will ever meet anyone quite like you."

Clark grinned and thought, 'You don't know how true that is.'

Then Lois and Clark simultaneously started to speak. She said, "Let me go first, please."

He replied, "Okay."

"Clark, I'm sorry… about a lot of things. But most of all that I didn't tell you what I decided after I spoke with Superman after we spoke in the park. I've been afraid. Afraid of being hurt, and that you'd changed your mind about me… about us.

"I haven't wanted to admit it to myself, but Clark I more than need you in my life. I love you."

"Like a brother?"

"No. I love you like a woman loves a man. Her man. I am in love with you. And it scares me that I'm going to mess this up."

"Lois, I love you. I've loved you from about 3 seconds after I met you. I loved you when you were considering Luthor's proposal. I love you today. I'll love you tomorrow and I'll love you forever. That won't stop."

"How do you know? My parents thought that when they got married."

"Lois, we are not your parents. I don't know how I know, I just do."

"What do we do next?"

"Well, I'd like to date you. But before we make any plans, there's something I need to talk to you about. Privately."

"Is it a bad thing?"

"Not necessarily. That's up to you."

"Me?"

"Yeah. Come on. Let's go somewhere private. Your place or mine?"

"Mine is closer."

"And if you're mad at me afterwards, you won't have to leave."

"You're scaring me. Can you give me a hint?"

"I'm adopted. And I want to tell you about my biological parents. But not here on the street…"

Lois took his arm, and they silently walked to her apartment.

When they reached her door, she unlocked all her locks and they went inside. Throwing her purse on the side table, she turned to him and asked, "Do you want something to drink or can we discuss this now?"

"I'm fine. Why don't you sit down?"

Lois sat on one of her love seats while Clark nervously paced in back and forth front of her. Gathering his thoughts, he turned and faced her.

"Lois, I told you I’m adopted. What I didn't tell you is how my parents adopted me, and until recently I knew nothing about my biological family."

She nodded yes, and uncharacteristically said nothing, allowing him to continue.

"My parents found me when they think I was around 3 months old. They found me in a neighbor's field."

"What! Why would anyone abandon a baby? I'm sorry, please continue…"

He smiled and sat down. "Actually, they were driving home and thought they saw a meteor. My mom, well you've met her. She's as adventurous and inquisitive as you. She and my dad had just received the news that they were turned down as adoptive parents after they had been told they couldn't have a child of their own. They were devastated.

"Anyway, as they were driving Mom and Dad saw this streak of light in the sky. And Mom convinced Dad to stop and check it out. They thought it was a meteor. Instead they found a small spaceship with a baby inside. Me. They took me home, and Dad hid the ship. When some government men came around a couple of days later, they pretended not to know anything about a meteor."

Lois interrupted, "Wait. Your parents found a baby in a space ship, and they just took care of you? And there were government agents looking for you?"

"Well, yeah. You have to understand my parents. The major reason they were denied adopting a child was because they had been arrested in peaceful civil rights demonstrations. So their opinion of overly aggressive government types was already pretty low. They told everyone that I was the illegitimate child of Mom's cousin. Or at least that's the story that ended up in the Smallville gossip mill. And they never disputed it, preferring to not saying anything rather than outright lying.

"And Mom and Dad… well, Mom told me that they didn't care if I was a government or Russian experiment or a Martian, I was theirs. And that was that."

Lois took his hand in hers and with tears in her eyes softly said, "Oh, Clark."

"I couldn't have asked for any better parents. They loved me as their own, and protected me fiercely. When I was old enough, they had a talk with me about my unusual adoption. And they instilled in me the need to hide my origins, and eventually my abilities. Dad said they were concerned someone from the government would discover me, take me away and dissect me like a frog."

"That's awful!"

"Lois, you have to understand. They were petrified of losing me, and what could become of me. I wasn't always invulnerable, and of course they never were. I never really understood how right they were until Trask tried to kill us. He had my ship you know. The globe I took was from it."

He continued his story, filling her in on growing up, his travels and what he knew about Jor-El, Lara and Krypton. He explained how the idea of Superman came from her comment about bringing a change of clothes to work. She wanted to hear everything and was patient. She understood why he hid his abilities and his second job from everyone, including her. If she were in his shoes she would not have trusted Lois Lane so quickly. And to her chagrin, she realized in stealing Clark's story, she had actually stolen Superman's story. Of course Clark had Superman's globe! It was Clark's globe. She also cringed inwardly at how she had dismissed or belittled Clark over the past year. Mostly she was quiet, although she did ask an occasional question for clarification. She even amazed herself in that the famed Lane temper never emerged. She was not angry with him. Maybe she was a little hurt and definitely embarrassed at how she'd treated both of him. Fawning over Superman while ignoring and belittling Clark. As he talked, she fell deeper in love with him.

When he finished, she said, "So I was right."

"You figured it out?"

"That you were Superman? No, I meant that you think of Ordinary Guy, that is you — Clark — as the real person and Superman as the disguise."

"That's what you meant when you mumbled about Ordinary Guy?"

"Yeah. I did get it right didn't I?"

"Yes, you did."

"But you know you're wrong."

"What?"

"Clark, I don't know the real you. Yet. The Clark Kent I know can't fly without an airplane or bend steel in his bare hands or any of the other things you can do. And Superman doesn't have a job, family or friends. So you are a combination of them, and yet different. Does that make sense?"

"Yeah. That's something else I love about you, Lois. You understand me better than I understand myself."

"Well, I am Lois Lane. And I think I told you once that my job is to look beyond the external. The flashy suit and pair of glasses may have blinded me, but I still saw beneath both disguises. Even when I didn't know they were disguises."

"I guess you did."

"Will you let me see the real you now?"

"Lois, I have no secrets from you. Yes, I'll give you all the time you need to know me if you'll let me see the real you, too."

"I will. Clark, why tell me now?"

"I trusted you to not look for Superman's identity, and you didn't. I don't think it's fair to continue this without you knowing everything."

"I don't know what to say."

"Lois, I owe you a lot. You accepted Superman when he first arrived. It's thanks to your articles that he was accepted so easily. If LNN had gotten there first, I’m sure the perception would be completely different. And although you've protested at times, you accepted a greenhorn partner as a full partner. I wanted to show you how much I trust you. And my parents do too, by the way. I discussed telling you with them."

"You did?"

"Sure did. They both thought it was time."

"How about a hug?"

"Absolutely!"

They both stood and stepped into each other's arms. Lois tipped her head up and Clark looked into her eyes. They saw the love in each other's eyes. Cautiously, he bent towards her and gently kissed her lips. She memorized the feel of his lips on hers, the smell of him, the gentle sound of his breathing, and how safe she always felt in his arms no matter what clothes he wore. Then she initiated a kiss filled with all the love and passion she could muster. Momentarily stunned, he soon returned the passion-filled, toe-curling kiss.

She sighed as she leaned her head against his chest, hearing his heartbeat. And Lois knew she was right about something else. She was in love with Clark Kent. She couldn't live or even visualize living without him. And she knew without him saying a word that he felt the same.

Coyly she looked at him and asked, "When's our first date?"

He laughed and replied, "Tonight?"

She nodded yes.

"I've said it before, and I’m going to continue to say it until long after you believe it. Lois, I've loved you from the beginning, and I'll love you forever."

"Clark, I think I loved you from the first, too. I was scared to admit it until I saw you on the shuttle. I love you now and will love you till the end."

And they did.

Epilogue

Eight months later, Lex Luthor escaped from prison a few days before Lois and Clark's wedding. He had some bizarre plan to kidnap Lois from the wedding, substitute a clone and transfer Lois' and his souls into new clones so they could start new lives in Switzerland. Unfortunately for him, Lois was so distraught about the last minute wedding changes insisted by the wedding planner her mother Ellen had hired that Lois and Clark had quietly eloped.

Superman and the MPD recaptured Luthor, who was placed in isolation in a maximum-security prison cell. Five months after that he was found dead in his cell. Cause of death was unclear until the coroner revealed a brain tumor. Subsequent search of his cell revealed hidden kryptonite in the binding of his handwritten journal. His journal showed he was convinced it would protect him from Superman's wrath. Further study at Star Labs showed that long-term exposure was a health hazard to humans. As a result, the kryptonite was classified as extremely dangerous to humans and was stored only in the highest level biohazard lab at Star Labs. Luthor's body was cremated after the coroner finished with it. By special request of all the proper authorities and government officials, Superman hurled the urn containing his ashes into the sun after it was found not to be contaminated with kryptonite.

After getting released from jail, Jack stayed with Clark and went back to school and got his G.E.D. Thanks to a scholarship from the Superman Foundation, he was able to go to college at Met U. He and Jimmy shared an apartment until Jack graduated from college. When Jack turned 18, he was granted guardianship of his brother Denny thanks to the intervention of Perry White, Inspector Henderson and Superman. Denny moved in with Jimmy and Jack. Jack studied business and after college got an internship at the Superman Foundation. He earned his M.B.A. part-time while working. Eventually he became the Superman Foundation's Chief Financial Officer (C.F.O.), and eventually its C.E.O.

Denny followed in his brother's footsteps, going to college and later getting an M.B.A. He became the C.F.O. and eventually C.E.O. of the charitable organization in Gotham City, the Thomas and Martha Wayne Memorial Foundation.

Perry, Jimmy, Lois and Clark went back to work at the Planet when it reopened. Perry stayed as Editor in Chief until his retirement at age 70, when joint chief editorship was passed to Lois and Clark. He and Alice had a brief separation and divorce. They reconnected after about a year and remarried, remaining happily married.

Jimmy became a word famous photojournalist, earning multiple awards and known as Jim Olsen. He met Angela the Christmas after the Planet reopened. They had a brief courtship, and then went their separate ways. After two years apart, they found each other again and eventually married. When Lois and Clark became Co-Editors in Chief, Jim became the Planet's Online Editor. He never forgot his early days at the Planet, and the friendships Lois and Clark extended to him. Those just starting out would find a kind word, an understanding ear and sage advice from Jim, who often served as both official and unofficial mentor for newbies.

Inspector Henderson went on to have a distinguished career, which included a memorable tenure as the Chief of Police. He retired with many accolades and honors, including the key to the city given to him by Superman. It was the only time both Superman and Henderson were noted to simultaneously be emotional enough to have their stoic masks slip with moist eyes.

Dr. Bernie Klein became a great friend of Superman, Lois and Clark. Eventually he was let in on the family secret when Lois unexpectedly became pregnant. Typically humble, Bernie said he was never so glad to be so wrong about his findings than when he had determined that a Kryptonian man could not have children with an Earth woman. He went on to distinguish himself with multiple inventions benefiting mankind, the profits of which made Star Labs' financial status stable. And also secured his own job and financial future.

Shortly after their first date, Clark told Lois all about his "Don't Be Cruel" mantra. They both adopted it, promising to never go to bed angry just like Martha and Jonathan had promised each other about 35 years before. Their professional and personal lives were never dull or boring. Martha, Jonathan, Lois and Clark all had long happy marriages with their houses filled with love and laughter, often supplied by additional generations of Kents.

The End

Author's Note: Some dialogue adapted from the episode "House of Luthor" written by Deborah Joy LeVine and Dan Levine.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard