I'm not sure how to post this. I agreed with the commenters that Martha and Jonathan needed their own scenes with Lois. This first post has the scenes in Smallville and Lois' return to Metropolis in disguise. I'm posting the whole revised final chapter in the post below this one, in case anyone wants to read it in context. No additional comments page, will add a link at the end. Any formatting errors will be corrected before submitting to the Archive. I've decided to submit the whole story as one story called "Don't Be Cruel."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, Lois took a train from Metropolis headed to Miami. She had called Lucy to let her know that she had made a reservation for a cruise under an assumed name. There was no reservation. During the night, Superman whisked her from the train.

Now she was flying in his arms. She had her backpack in her lap. It was beautiful, crossing the country through the night air. The shadows seemed non-threatening in his arms. She felt comforted, and yet… she longed to be in Clark's arms.

How ridiculous was that? A few days ago she would have given almost anything to fly this long alone in Superman's arms. And now she was thinking of Clark? She shook her head to clear her thoughts and concentrated on what she could see of the country below. Off to their right she saw the lights of a city.

Superman spoke softly in her ear, "Kansas City. We'll be at the Kent Farm shortly."

She nodded and felt conflicted. Sad that the flight was almost over while at the same time relieved it was ending. More than conflicted, she felt confused. Maybe at the farm away from all the city noises and pressures, she could sort out her conflicting and confusing thoughts and emotions. She hoped so, because in the days ahead Lois would need to focus on the Luthor investigation. A part of her still hoped he was the benign businessman he portrayed to the world. But when she was honest with herself, she had recognized the emotions he fleetingly allowed her to see at their last encounter. Anger and cold hate. And she had to believe what Superman heard.

She was pulled from her thoughts as they gently touched down beside the Kents' back porch. The porch light was on, a beacon welcoming them. As Martha appeared at the door with a huge smile on her face, and Jonathan behind her the picture of solidarity and safety, Lois felt comforted like she was a child being greeted by her parents. As if Clark's parents were delighted to see her, welcoming her home.

Martha ran to her with her arms open, and Lois dropped her backpack when she found herself engulfed in Martha's arms. Jonathan and Superman were quietly speaking. Lois in her surprise at Martha's greeting, missed their words. Walking almost in a daze on autopilot, Lois found herself sitting at the kitchen table with Jonathan and Superman. It was surreal to see Superman sitting in the Kents' kitchen as if he'd been here a hundred times before. Then she chuckled to herself, thinking if anyone could make Superman relaxed and feel at home it would be Martha and Jonathan.

Shaking herself out of her thoughts, she focused on Martha who asked when she'd last eaten.

"Oh, lunch."

"Lunch! That was hours ago. Honey, you need to eat. I have some leftovers from dinner, or can make you a sandwich and soup if you'd like a lighter meal."

"The soup and sandwich would be great. Thanks Martha."

Suddenly Superman raised his head as if he were listening to something intently. He stood up and said, "I have to go. Lois, I'll be back tomorrow evening to fill you in on what's happening."

Lois nodded, and he was gone. Before she could process his departure, Martha had set a sandwich and bowl of soup in front of her, and asked what she'd like to drink with her meal.

While Lois ate, Martha and Jonathan sipped cups of tea and each had a scone. Lois remembered Clark said how he loved Martha's scones with tea. When offered one, Lois politely declined. Somehow she felt it was wrong without Clark here. She knew that it would only feel right if the first time she had one they ate Martha's scones together.

After finishing her meal, Martha showed her to Clark's room again and wished her goodnight. Lois used the bathroom and then changed into comfortable pajamas. The pillow smelled of Clark. Earth and sunshine filled her thoughts as she drifted off to sleep.

Lois slept better than she had in days. She awoke to the smell of coffee and breakfast. Looking at the clock, she realized it was 6 AM, which was 7 AM in Metropolis. She stretched and felt rested. Changing quickly, she ran a brush through her hair and headed downstairs.

Martha greeted her pleasantly. She offered Lois a cup of coffee, and told her to fix it as she liked. When Lois expressed surprise to see her favorite artificial sweetener and creamer, Martha explained that Clark had told her. Lois was comforted to know that Martha and Clark cared enough to see she had this small comfort of home. Over breakfast, Lois told Martha and Jonathan about her part in the investigation. Since she had nothing specific to do today, she asked if she could help with anything.

Jonathan's morning chores were done, and he was headed out to town for some errands. He suggested that Lois stay with Martha today. It would be easier for Lois to remain unseen inside the house. Lois found herself agreeing, feeling she needed time to decompress from the stresses of the past few days.

When Martha shooed her out of the kitchen, Lois found herself in the living room. She looked at the pictures of Clark at various ages. She noticed there were no pictures of him from several years, which she guessed were in junior high school. She asked Martha about it when Martha entered the living room.

"Oh honey, that was a difficult time for Clark. The pictures of him are too sad to show."

"Really? I rarely see him sad or upset these days. What made him so sad, if it's not too personal."

Martha invited Lois to sit. They both sat on the couch and Martha sighed. "What has Clark told you about his childhood?"

"Not much. He said he was adopted, and I guess I always assumed it was a happy childhood. He certainly seemed loved by the people we met in Smallville, welcoming him home."

Weighing her words, honed by years of practice with not telling a blatant lie while preserving Clark's secret, Martha began, "Clark's adoption was a private adoption. To protect him, we had the records sealed. And the gossip mill in a small town… Well, this was the 1960s, and that kind of adoption usually meant that the child was borne out of wedlock. At least that's what the town's gossips decided.

"In junior high at the same time he started puberty with all the changes that entailed, his friends became aware of the gossip. He overheard cruel comments about his biological parents, and he couldn't refute them. You see, we didn't know who his parents were, and there was no way to trace them. The kids he had defended and befriended since kindergarten suddenly turned away from him. If they didn't talk about him, most of them didn't support him either. It was a very lonely time for Clark. We don't display pictures of that time because it brings back too many sad memories. And I mean Jonathan and me. Clark never mentions it, but I get so angry just thinking about the cruel way the gossips treated Clark."

Lois found herself with tears in her eyes. Suddenly she knew exactly why Clark had never engaged in gossip at work. And any lingering doubts she harbored that Clark might talk about what she confidently shared with him disappeared forever as she spoke with Martha.

Uncharacteristically for Lois, she replied, "Martha, please. Don't say anything you don't want to say. And don't share more than you think Clark would want you to share. I can see how awful that time was, and in this one instance even though I'm an investigative reporter, I don't want to discover more information." And she bit her tongue to keep from asking the hundreds of questions that jumped to her mind. But this was Clark they were talking about. She had already hurt him at the park, and no way would Lois hurt him again, at least not intentionally or this soon.

"Thank you Lois. I know how curious this must make you. And I love you for not pressing me for more. Let me finish, though. From the time he was a small child, Clark always stood up for the smaller kids or those who others singled out to tease or torment. Suddenly, when he needed someone to support him he found himself alone. And many of the kids he thought were his friends also seemed to enjoy the stories and teasing him.

"The only one who supported him quietly yet steadfastly was Rachel Harris, now the sheriff. I think that's the real reason they went to their senior prom together. Clark was her friend when the most popular girls in school made fun of her. Both of them supported each other in good times and bad. Jonathan and I had always taught him not to respond in kind with cruel words or with violence. Clark honored that, and never retaliated. He would walk away from provocations and became known as a loner.

"He did find solace in writing and joined the school paper. Even became the editor his senior year. In the paper he worked with other kids who the most popular kids ignored or tormented. Together they found strength. That's where he learned first-hand the lesson that meekness is not a weakness.

"In Sunday School Clark had learned that there is strength in meekness. I think initially he found it was a lesson that was more theoretical than practical. Jonathan often quoted Swami Sivananda, 'Humility is not cowardice. Meekness is not weakness. Humility and meekness are indeed spiritual powers.' And Clark adopted this. He can explain it better, but during his world travels he discovered that meekness is a universal strength many spiritual advisors seek and teach.

"I don't know what you see when you see the meekness and humility in Clark. I can tell you what I see though. I see the underlying strength that others miss. And more than that, I see Jonathan. You see, Jonathan is exactly that kind of man. And if Clark were his biological son I don't believe he would act any more like Jonathan than he already does."

"Oh Martha, I had no idea. I always thought Clark had, well kind of a perfect childhood. Maybe a little like a Norman Rockwell painting. He almost always seems so positive and upbeat. You'd never know that anyone had ever hurt him."

"Lois, no one has a perfect childhood. That's part of life, I think. Everyone copes differently with what happened. Some people get angry and irritable, while others respond to the same events by becoming gracious and kind.

"Would you like some tea and a scone?"

"I'll take the tea Martha. But if you don't mind, Clark shared with me how much he loves your tea and scones. And the first time I try one I'd really like it to be with him. Do you mind?"

"Of course not honey! I think that's lovely."

Martha excused herself with tears in her eyes and retreated to the kitchen. She knew Lois was special the first time she met her. Now if Lois would only realize how much she loved Clark. Martha suspected Lois was in love with Clark, but didn't yet realize it. Or couldn't admit it to herself or anyone else.

A few minutes later Martha brought them both iced tea, and then pulled out her scrapbooks and photo albums. Together she and Lois spent the next few hours pouring over them as Martha shared happy stories of Clark's childhood.

Lois enjoyed learning more about Clark. Even more than when she was in Smallville the first time, she came to see new depth to his character. And she was falling more in love with him the more she learned. What surprised her most was discovering the loneliness he felt as a child. Her respect for him and her shame at her own behavior towards him grew.

Over lunch, Jonathan asked Lois about her planned disguise. Lois explained it, and Martha volunteered to help. Lois had seen the Halloween costumes Martha had made in the past for Clark and was impressed with Martha's skills. Especially when Jonathan relayed that Martha often made them without a "store bought" pattern, instead making her own. He also proudly told Lois about Martha's costume designs for the local community theater.

While Martha looked through Clark's old clothes for ideas and possibilities that could be altered to fit Lois, Jonathan and Lois headed to the barn. Lois was introduced to the barn cats and to the two milk cows. Jonathan promised to show her how to milk the cows with the evening milking. He mucked out the stalls while she was there. And to her surprise, the smells weren't as annoying as she thought they would be. She could smell hay and earth mostly.

Jonathan showed her the farm machinery and explained the purpose of each one. He calmly explained how the farm was actually a small business, and not only included farm machinery but also the fax machine, computer, cell phone, other office equipment and supplies. When in town, Jonathan had also bought a copy of the Metropolis Star for Lois to read. Lois was touched at his kindness in bringing her a Metropolis paper. He told her stories of Clark and the farm animals.

And asked her if she'd like to take a walk around the farm.

"Jonathan, I thought I needed to stay near the house and barn."

"Oh, we'll be out of sight of the road. Just thought you'd like to see there's more to the farm than the barn and house."

"Okay, let's go!"

He showed her the pond where Clark had caught his first fish. And as they toured some of the fields, he shared more stories of Clark as a boy. As they were walking back, they passed Clark's tree house.

Lois looked up and asked, "Is that a tree house?"

"Yes, Clark and I built it when he was around 10 years old."

"What does the sign say?"

"Fortress of Solitude."

"When did he name it?"

"Shortly after it was built."

"What a sad name. And a mouthful for a 10 year-old! But how is it accessed? There aren't steps, and the branches look too high to reach from the ground."

He winked and said, "Well, Lois, that's why we have ladders."

"Can I see it?"

"Sorry. That's Clark's private place. Without his permission, no you can't. I think though he'd like to show it to you himself. And it would mean more to you for him to share that part of his life with you."

"Clark has more secrets than I ever guessed!"

Lois, if you only knew, Jonathan thought. He winked and said, "Well, maybe someday if you're lucky he'll share all of them with you."

They laughed together and walked back to the farmhouse.

As promised, Superman arrived that evening with a stack of research for Lois to review. There was a long note from Clark included, and Perry had included one as well. Superman reported that Perry, Jimmy and Clark were working hard and looked forward to Lois joining them in a few days. Lois told them she'd decided on the name "Logan" for her identity as Clark's cousin. Superman suggested that she use one of the family surnames. Kent and Clark were the two most closely associated with Clark, with Clark being Martha's maiden name. Lois promised to talk it over with Jonathan and Martha and get their input. She thought Clark should approve the final decision.

The rest of her visit to the Kent Farm was spent in learning more about Clark and his parents, going through the material Superman brought and working with Martha on her disguise. Lois found the contrast between her parents and Clark's even more acutely, and grew very fond of Martha and Jonathan. Martha often referred to Lois as "Honey." Lois surprised herself by finding it heartwarming, not condescending. Tears would come to her eyes when she thought about how they had accepted her into their home, and freely given her the love and acceptance her own parents rarely did. She enjoyed Martha who was quietly efficient without being overly aggressive. And Lois found comfort in Jonathan's quiet strength and dignity. Lois thought she could learn much more from both of them, and hoped she'd have the opportunity in the future.

Before she left, Martha and Jonathan took her aside. They told her they couldn't predict the future, but as far as they both were concerned she was now family. If she ever needed anything, she should call. And they hoped she'd visit again under more pleasant circumstances. Lois stood speechless with her jaw dropped when they told her that.

When Superman arrived on the evening of the fifth day, he was surprised to find Lois as "Logan" waiting for him. He was impressed with the disguise, and generously complimented Martha and Lois/Logan. After a few minutes they flew back to Metropolis. Superman dropped Logan off in an alley next to the bus stop. From there Logan arrived at Clark's apartment via cab to avoid suspicion.

Superman followed Logan above the clouds until Logan safely reached Clark's apartment. Perry and Jimmy greeted Logan, and heartily approved the disguise. After Superman stopped a nearby mugging, he changed into his Clark clothes and arrived at the apartment shortly after Logan. Both Jimmy and Perry met with Clark and Lois during the day and for dinner at Clark's apartment before spending nights at Perry's house. Alice was still in Florida, and remained safely there for now.

Clark gave Lois his bed, and he slept on the couch. That allowed Superman to come and go without disturbing her. Although Metropolis and the world remained unusually quiet so that his unexpected disappearances were few and far between.

[End of added scene]
Comments

TOC

A/N: Sorry for the delay. Have been slowly getting back up to speed after Hurricane Matthew hit this area hard. My family is safe, and blessed compared to others who lost their homes from falling trees mostly.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly