Winner Takes All
Folc4evernaday
Part 4

“I’m still not so sure about this costume business,” Jonathan muttered. Clark and Martha had ignored his protests and moved forth with their plan. He was worried about someone recognizing his son on the six o’clock news. If someone recognized him, Clark wouldn’t be able to live any kind of a normal life.

“It’ll work. It has to.” Clark argued.

“Well, I have several different styles laid out on the bed. Go try ‘em on. See what you think. Then, we’ll go from there.” Martha said.

“Doesn’t anyone listen to me anymore?” Jonathan asked.

“Yes, Jonathan, but I don’t necessarily agree.” Martha smiled at her husband before heading upstairs to check on Clark.

Jonathan couldn’t help but smile at the comment. Leave it to Martha.

Clark had tried on about a dozen different costumes. All colorful spandex. None so far had kept his interest. He was now standing in the bathroom, looking down at himself skeptically. He was wearing a costume of red, yellow, and blue. It was mostly a blue spandex outfit with red briefs over them. It had a red cape attached and a yellow belt around the waist. He wore red boots to match the briefs and cape.

“What about that one?” Martha called out to him, exhausted.

“I don’t know, Mom…I mean, it’s certainly….colorful.” He said, stepping out of the bathroom. His mom lay on her bed, exhausted; surrounded by the rejected costume ideas. She stood up to get a better look at him.

“What do you think?” He asked.

“Well, one thing’s for sure; no one’s gonna be looking at your face.” She teased.

“MOM!!” he was mortified. He couldn’t believe she had just said that.

She laughed, “Well, they don’t call them tights for nothing.” She wrapped an arm around him and stared at his reflection a moment, “I don’t know….something’s missing. Something…” She moved toward the bed and pulled out an old trunk from beneath the bed. She opened the trunk and pulled out a blue baby blanket, holding it close to her.

“I’d forgotten about that.” Clark smiled.

“Yeah. The baby blanket we found you in so long ago.” She put the blanket back down and reached into the trunk once more. “And this…” she pulled out an ‘S’ shield emblem.

“That could work.” He nodded nostalgically. He went to go change out of the suit so Martha could sew the ‘S’ on the suit. Once she was done he donned the suit once more.

“Your parents would have been so proud of you. We sure are.” Martha hugged him.

“Thanks, Mom.” He hugged her back. He turned around and looked at himself in the mirror more critically. “I’m still not so sure about the cape.”

“Really? I love it. It’ll look grand when you’re flying.”

“I don’t know.” Clark sighed. “You’re sure I won’t look stupid?” he asked.

“Of course not.” Martha chuckled. “Now what are you going to do about your face?”

“What about my face?” he asked skeptically.

“Well, how are you going to keep people from recognizing you?”

“Well, people have only seen Clark Kent with glasses. I just won’t wear glasses when I’m in disguise.”

Jonathan came in the room to look at Clark. “That’s my boy.” He smiled.

“It’s perfect.” Martha agreed. “Let me write down these measurements so I can get some spares made.”

Clark groaned as his mother proceeded to poke and prod at him once more, making notes of all the measurements needed to make backup suit’s.

Lex Luthor angrily slammed the door to his penthouse; slamming inanimate objects in his wake as he made himself a drink. The nerve of that woman. He knew Lois Lane would have proven to be a far more skillful adversary than he had encountered before, but for her to humiliate him like that…She had gotten too close to the truth with Prometheus. He was afraid he would have to get rid of her, but he was relieved when he had been able to sidetrack her during their interview. She had obviously been rattled by his forwardness.

He had done some checking on Lois Lane when she had begun persistently calling his secretaries for an exclusive interview with him. She had apparently not had the best of luck with men. Such a pity, a beautiful creature such as herself…what a waste. Once he had discovered the rumors that had flown around the office pool at the Daily Planet about Lois Lane being frigid…Well, his interest in her had severely declined.

If she couldn’t please a man then what good was she? It was amusing to tease her, though. Make her think she would get what she wanted then treat her as if she were his date. Her reaction had been exactly what he had wanted.

At first, he thought Lucy would become just another companion, but her morals were much more solid it seemed than Lois Lane’s. She had insisted on waiting to consummate their relationship. When he had discovered why; he, of course, being the gentleman; had agreed. Apparently, she was afraid of repeating her sister and her mother’s mistakes.

Lucy was quite entertaining and very bright. She would come in handy once he was able to place her in the Mayor’s office. A few missing documents here. An inspection waived there. Now that he knew what a bother his relationship with Lucy was to Lois Lane he would make sure they became inseparable. She was Lois Lane’s weakness. They always said ‘keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.’ He would do just that.

Clark looked around the apartment; it was a disaster. The walls were stained and discolored, the carpet was torn, the windows were filthy. If his mother had seen this place she would have fainted. The landlord, Floyd continued to show him around as Clark looked around skeptically.

“Clinton Street is the quietest area in Metropolis. I own a couple of different buildings. This is the only one I have that doesn’t get any complaints. You married?”

“No.”

“Girlfriend?”

Clark sighed at that question, “No.”

“Boyfriend?” Floyd ventured. Clark did a double take giving the pudgy man a once over along with a dubious look. “Me? I mind my own business. Where you from?”

“Kansas.” He opened one of the kitchen cabinets only to have it break off. He looked at Floyd skeptically.

“Few screws is all.” Clark turned on the kitchen faucet and brownish-orange water came out. He looked at Floyd once more, “Minerals. Good for the liver.” Clark walked over to the balcony with Floyd in tow. “Nice view. You see out, no one sees in. Walk around in the buff. I do.”

Clark looked at the man skeptically, shaking his head to rid himself of the mental image that had just invaded his mind. He needed a place and this looked to be the best he could get. “How much?”

“Nine-fifty.”

“Nine hundred and fifty dollars? Are you out of your mind?” Clark asked, shocked.

“Hey, you want cheap. Go back to Iowa.”

“Kansas.” Clark corrected. He knew better. His dad had taught him better. “This place needs repairs...”

“Okay okay…Nine even?”

“Fine, but deduct the cost of whatever materials it takes to get this place in a livable condition.”

“Done.”

“So, when can I move in?” Clark asked.

“Soon as the check clears,” Floyd grinned.

Clark laughed inwardly. The man was as smarmy as they came. He pulled out his checkbook and began to write the check. He handed it to Floyd who took it eagerly. “I’ll have extra keys made. Just make me a copy of all the receipts and I’ll knock it off next month’s rent.”

“Great.” Clark smiled.

“Welcome home,” Floyd grinned, shaking Clark’s hand.

Home. It felt good to hear that word. He looked around. This place definitely needed repairs but once they were done he was sure the place would feel like home. Metropolis felt good to him. He felt a pull towards this city. He wasn’t sure if it was the same pull he felt towards Lois, but he really didn’t care. He was making himself a home. He had a job he loved; was starting to make friends and hopefully…one day…he could convince Lois to go out with him as more than just a friend.

Later that evening he sat with his parents in the living room of the farmhouse. The launch of the space shuttle was on television and they all watched eagerly. Clark couldn’t help but feel a rush of relief that everything seemed to be coming together. A few days ago both he and Lois had feared whether the dream of Prometheus would even become a reality. Now here he was watching the space shuttle launch the first colonists into space.

“The colonists are just about all on board,” Jonathan noted.

“We are T minus three minutes. All technical personnel should deplane at this time.” The public affairs officer announced.

The module appeared to be ready for takeoff. They watched in anticipation. “Historic occasion.” Jonathan mused. “Remember when you were little, Clark? We saw the moon landing?”

“How could I forget? It was the first time you guys let me stay up past my bedtime.” Clark smiled at the memory.

Inside the habitation module, Lois found a seat in a dark corner. She began to settle herself in; strapping herself in for the launch. This was it. The exclusive of a lifetime. She waited patiently for the launch sequence to commence. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw the door to the room open. She began to panic, fearing she had been caught, but the man that entered the room was far too preoccupied. He placed a device on the wall then left before he could notice her presence.

Lois unstrapped herself and stood up. She walked over to the device the man had placed in the room. “Oh, my God!” She gasped. The digital timer on the wall read one minute and thirty seconds. It was counting backward along with the announcer. She hurried over to the door and began to bang on it insistently. “It’s a bomb! There’s a bomb on the transport! Somebody help!”

“One minute and counting…” the announcer read off.

Back at the Kent farmhouse, the Kents watched the boosters ignite. “There she blows.” Jonathan mused.

Clark looked up from the television with a faraway look on his face. Martha noticed the gesture. “What’s wrong, Clark?”

“Something’s wrong.” He said grimly, getting up to change into his suit.

“What do you mean? Did you hear something?” Jonathan asked in concern.

“No. I sensed it…It’s hard to explain.”

Lois was desperate. She grabbed her purse and pulled out her Swiss Army Knife. She found a cabinet on the wall and tore off the casing. Underneath the plastic casing were a million different colored wires. “I have to warn them…” she muttered to herself. “Which one?” She began slashing the wires with her knife, unsure of what effect she would have on the space shuttle.

“Thirty seconds and counting…” the officer read off.

A technician waved at the officer, “Sir, we have a circuit failure in the main panel.”

The officer nodded, “Due to a mechanical failure, we have suspended countdown at twenty-nine seconds. We will advise.”

Jonathan and Martha looked up at Clark when he reappeared fully dressed in his disguise. “How did you know?” Martha asked in disbelief.

“I don’t know. I gotta go.” Clark sped out of the farmhouse at super-speed.

Outside of EPRAD, hundreds of spectators stood watching the launch. A red and blue blur passed over them.

“What the hell is that?” a man asked.

“Is it a bird?” another asked.

“Is it a plane?” someone else asked.

A man with a pair of binoculars shook his head, “Nope. Just some guy in a pair of tights and a cape.”

The crowd turned on him throwing random items at him, “Oh, come on.”

The launch commander and other personnel gathered around the monitors as they tried to figure out what had gone wrong. They watched in amazement as Clark made his way down the corridors and into the main panel room where Lois had found the bomb.

“Are we scrubbing the mission?” the public affairs officer asked the commander.

Clark scanned the area, searching for Lois. He couldn’t explain it, but he knew she was here…and in danger. “Lois?” he whispered. He was about to call out to her once more when he looked down at his outfit. That probably wouldn’t be the smartest thing to do.

He picked up the sound of her voice from the Control Panel Room. “Help! Somebody! There’s a bomb! Please!”

He made his way to the door and pried it open. Lois looked towards the door; not really getting a good look at him. “Oh, thank God! We’ve got to get the bomb squad down here and..” she stopped when she noticed his attire.

He was slightly amused by her reaction but didn’t waste any time dwelling on that. He moved towards the bomb and grabbed it off the wall. “Hey, get away from that! Didn’t you hear me? I said that’s a bomb! What kind of lunatic…” she stopped when he put the bomb in his mouth and swallowed it.

The explosive exploded inside him, causing him to burp. “Excuse me.” He said.

Lois stared at him a moment, “What the hell are you?” she asked in disbelief.

All he could do in response was smile. Before he could say anything several colonists appeared in the doorway. Among them were Mrs. Platt and her daughter Amy. Clark turned to face them.

The head colonist took a step inside and surveyed the damage. He looked from the torn circuitry of the panel to Superman. He appeared to have drawn the wrong conclusion; so Lois interjected still stunned. “There there was …a bomb.” She pointed at Clark, “He...he ate it.”

The colonists all appeared to be stunned by the news. Amy wheeled herself up to Clark, unafraid. He couldn’t help but smile at the young girl. The dream of Prometheus had been Dr. Platt’s dream for her. He knelt down to her level. “Hi.”

“Hi.” She responded. “I like your costume.”

“Thank you. My mother made it for me.” He smiled back at her, “What’s your name?” he asked, trying to keep up the pretense that he hadn’t met her before.

“Amy. Amy Platt. Who are you?”

Clark wasn’t sure what to tell her. He hadn’t really come up with a name for himself yet. “I’m…a friend.”

“Can you really fly?”

He nodded, “Yes I can.”

“Can you teach me?”

“Not to fly,” He winked at her, “but once this lab is operational…walk…that’s very possible.”

The public address speaker crackled. The booster rockets were turning off. “Attention, colonists. The mission has been scrubbed. Prepare to disembark.”

The colonists all voiced their disappointment. The head colonist sighed, “It’s over.”

Lois didn’t understand, “Why?”

“Once the thrusters have been fired they have to be replaced.” Mrs. Platt explained.

“We’ll lose our launch window. We just have to forget about Space Station Prometheus.” The head colonist said in despair.

“No, you don’t. There’s nothing wrong with this transport or the station. You only need to get there.” Clark reasoned aloud.

“How are they supposed to do that?” Lois asked exasperated.

“Easy. I’ll give them a boost.” Clark replied.

A few minutes later with Lois safely off the transport, he lifted it into the air and flew it into space. He returned shortly afterward to find Lois staring at the sky in disbelief. He found it amusing; the way she seemed speechless in his presence. He hadn’t seen her this speechless since…ever.

“Can I give you a lift?”

“What?” she asked, uncertainly.

“A lift.” He pointed upward.

“Uh, sure…” she said hesitantly.

“Where to?” he asked.

“The Daily Planet?”

He nodded and lifted her up in his arms. She clung to his neck as they ricocheted upward.

Perry walked through the newsroom in disbelief as Jimmy relayed the story to him. “And then this guy came in and…and he flew, Chief. He flew the transport up to the space station.” At Perry’s look, he added. “Lois was there.”

“A man who flies? I still don’t believe it.” Perry scoffed.

“But Chief, it’s all over the TV!”

“Don’t’ believe everything you see on TV, Jimmy.” Perry looked at the printouts in his hand for a moment; “I’ll tell you one thing, though whoever pulled this hoax off is…” he stopped. Lois was outside the window of the newsroom….being carried by a man in a cape. Perry and the rest of the newsroom watched in awe as Clark flew in the newsroom with Lois and deposited her by her desk. Lois was still speechless. He had never seen anything like it in his life. “Great shades of Elvis!”

Cat watched in envy and awe as Lois stared, star-struck at the man in the red and blue suit. “I see it, but I don’t believe it.”

“What? A man who flies?” one of her co-workers asked.

“No, Lois Lane, finally…literally…swept off her feet. Too bad he’s an alien.”

Lois was dumbstruck. She had flown in the newsroom with this…man. This incredible man that had just saved her life. This was an incredible story. The story. She had to get the exclusive. “Uh, I think considering the fact that I saw you first you owe me an exclusive...”

“Is that a rule?” he smiled back at her.

She was a bit flabbergasted. “Well, um, no. but…I’d appreciate it…very much.” She said.

He nodded and then began to float towards the window, preparing himself to take off once more. “Wait a minute; how do I find you?”

“I’ll be around.” He called over his shoulder.

“Smooth…” Jimmy called out, “Real smooth.”

Cat made her way up to Lois who was still slightly dazed from her encounter with the flying man. “Did you find out what the ‘S’ stands for?”

“Super…” she wasn’t quite registering Cat’s question. Then it finally dawned on her. She didn’t even get his name. Maybe he didn’t have one? Super…That seemed to fit. His feats that day had been extraordinary…super. “Superman.” She whispered. “Superman…” she repeated.

Everyone seemed to be in shock for a moment before Perry hollered throughout the newsroom, “What the hell is this, the Betty Crocker bake-off? Get back to work! We’ve got a newspaper to run!”
Everyone scurried back to life as they continued what they had been doing before the intrusion of Superman into the newsroom.

A few hours later, Clark stood outside Lex Luthor’s penthouse, fully donned in his Superman persona. He had spent most of the evening answering calls for help and making his debut as ‘a friend to help.’ Luckily, he hadn’t had any bad experiences with anyone yet. He hoped everyone understood he was here to help and nothing more. He wouldn’t want his intentions to come into question.

Lex turned around to face him. This was it. He had to remain in control. ‘Seize the high ground.’ The phrase had been running in his mind for the last few days. Lex Luthor had recited those words to him and Lois before; then Dr. Baines recited the exact phrase a few moments before her death. He was positive Lex Luthor had planned for her helicopter to explode. He was pretty sure he had also been behind the explosive device on the transport this evening as well.

Lex stood and began to clap as he stepped forward to face him. “An astonishing debut, Superman.”

The name caught him off guard. “Super…”

Lex smiled at having a slight upper-hand on him, “Haven’t you heard? That’s what they’re calling you. It’s international honor. To what do I owe this honor?”

He took a step towards Lex, “I came to tell you that I know who you are…who you REALLY are. I suppose on the face it was a good plan. Destroy Prometheus so you could put up your own space station in it’s place. Then not only would you make billions from the patents of vaccines developed, but you’d also be the supposed savior of the space program.” The blood was in the water. He had thrown down the gauntlet.

If Lex was disturbed by his accusation he didn’t show it. It didn’t matter. He wasn’t here for recognition; he was here to warn him…to make him aware that he hadn’t fooled everyone. “A very interesting theory, Superman, but that’s all it is.”

“And profit’s aside, you are also responsible for the deaths of at least three people. Commander Laderman, Dr. Samuel Platt, Dr. Baines...” he narrowed his eyes at Luthor, “Those probably aren’t the only skeletons in your closet.”

“So, you become both my judge and executioner?” Luthor challenged.

“Like any other citizen of the planet, I must obey the law. I am not above it. You, it seems, believe you are.”

Lex smiled back at him. “I hold a certain …position in this city.”

“Yes, and there is nothing that would please me more than to see you dethroned and thrown behind bars like any other common criminal. That day will come.”

“I trust not. But then, as they say…let the games begin.” Lex challenged.

He nodded at Luthor then walked turned away. He began to float upward; then stopped a moment. “Oh, one other thing. If you ever need to find me, all you have to do is look up.” He knew that knowledge would drive Luthor crazy. He had bragged about enjoying the fact that everyone had to look up to see him; now Luthor had to look up to see Clark.

He ricocheted himself into the sky and headed back to the Planet. He needed to change first, but afterwards he was looking forward to seeing Lois. He needed to see how his debut as Superman had been taken by the public…especially Lois.

Even for the evening time, the newsroom was a bustle of activity as reporters scurried about, “What’s going on?” he asked nonchalantly.

“Clark! Where have you been?” Lois practically pounced on him.

“Around.” He replied.

“Didn’t you hear what happened?”

“I saw there was a problem with the launch, but everything seemed to have fixed itself. What happened?” he asked.

“Clark, I was there. I snuck into the launch and…”

“You snuck in there? How were you expecting to get back?”

Lois narrowed her eyes at him. He was pointing out the holes in her plan when she was trying to tell him what had happened. “I didn’t say my plan was perfect.” She harrumphed, “Anyway, this guy came into the control panel room...which is where I was at...and he put a bomb in there.”

“Really?” Clark tried to sound surprised.

“Yes, really. And I wasn’t sure what to do. I couldn’t get anyone’s attention so I began cutting wires to try and make someone notice something was wrong….That’s when he showed up.”

“Who?”

“Superman.” She sighed dreamily.

“Superman?” he asked incredulously. He wasn’t sure about the name. “The guy’s name is Superman?”

She looked up at him a little guiltily, “No. I don’t know what his name is, but it just kinda came to me. You know he’s able to do all these super things...” She sighed. “He ATE the bomb, Clark.”

“You don’t say…” he said, trying to sound as surprised as he could. It was strange to listen to Lois recite her own version of the events.

“Yes. Then he lifted up the space station as if it didn’t weigh more than this piece of paper.” She held up a printout to illustrate her point. “I have never seen anything like it in my life…”

“Sounds like he made quite an impression on you,” Clark remarked with a smile.

“The guy flew me into the newsroom, Clark. It’s hard NOT to have an impression made on you after that.” Lois pointed out.

Clark laughed, “True.”

Jimmy approached them with a smile on his face. “Check these out, Lois. I just picked them up from the photo lab. What do you think?”

Lois looked at the photo layouts in front of her a moment. “Jimmy, I don’t think Perry’s gonna use any of these. They’re all out of focus.” Lois remarked apologetically.

“None of them?” he asked in disbelief.

She shook her head in sympathy. “I’m sorry, Jimmy.”

“Aw, man…” he took a seat by her and Clark, crossing his arms across his chest in defeat. “I thought I’d finally be able to break out of this cycle as the office grunt.” He muttered.

“I’m sorry, Jimmy.” She said. “Maybe you’ll get a better shot next time.”

“Yeah right. Like that’s gonna happen. What are the chances that Superman’s gonna show his face back in the newsroom?”

“You never know,” Clark said, patting the young man’s shoulder.

Jimmy nodded and headed towards his desk in despair. “Poor guy.” Lois sighed, turning her computer off and grabbing her coat. “Come on.” She said to Clark, waiting for him to get the hint.

“Where are we going?”

“You are going to walk me home.” Lois turned to him and laughed when she saw his stunned look, “You’re a good friend, Clark…After everything, we’ve dealt with the last few days... I’d like to think we’re friends, right? I mean, we did call a truce, right?”

“Uh, yeah.” He was surprised by her openness. Maybe the appearance of Superman had softened her up a bit.

They discussed the launch and the arrival of Superman to Metropolis. Lois seemed quite taken by his alter ego. He wasn’t sure how he felt about that. He really cared about her. She was the first thing he thought of when he woke up in the morning and the last thing he thought of before falling asleep. He was definitely falling for her. He wasn’t sure how she felt towards him. He was determined to build a solid foundation of trust between them before trying to ask her out again.

“Hi, Lucy,” Lois called when she opened her door.

“Don’t talk to me.” Lucy shot back; still angry with Lois for what happened the night before.

Lois looked at Clark, “See what I mean? I almost get blown up and she’s still holding a grudge.”

“Shouldn’t have been there, to begin with.” Lucy called back, “And don’t talk about me like I’m not in the room.”

“Hi, Lucy.” Clark waved, hoping Lucy’s dark mood would soften a bit.

Lucy looked up for a brief moment and smiled at Clark. “Hi.” She then turned her attention back to the courtroom law book she was studying.

Lois ignored her sister, “Do you want some coffee?” she offered.

“Uh, sure.” Clark nodded, a bit uncomfortable with the obvious tension in the room between Lois and Lucy. He listened as Lois began banging pots around in the kitchen, preparing to make the coffee. He wondered a moment if she was making the extra noise on purpose.

He watched Lucy anxiously. She was counting under her breath until a large bang came from the kitchen. She cursed under her breath and slammed her book down. “How am I supposed to study with you making all this noise?” she snapped at Lois.

“There’s a thing called a library.” Lois shot back.

“You are unbelievable!” Lucy muttered, grabbing her books and carrying them into her room. She slammed the door behind her.

Clark noticed Lois watching Lucy’s door wistfully then she turned her attention back to the coffee maker in front of her. “How do you like your coffee?” she asked.

The rest of the evening seemed to drag on. The conversation between them seemed to be everything but what had just happened. Lois was unwilling to talk about Lucy. She seemed determined to go after Lex Luthor and expose him as a criminal…even more so than before. He wasn’t sure exactly what had happened between the two of them to make them so hostile to one another but whatever it was; it was big.

It was getting late and he knew he should probably leave, but he just couldn’t. Lois seemed very vulnerable right now and he didn’t want to leave her alone like this. “What a slime ball!” she threw one of her throw pillows to the floor. “Not only does he start dating my sister…but he has the nerve to try and hit on me during my interview with him….I didn’t know they were dating then, but boy if I had….I would have creamed him. I don’t care who the hell he is…” Clark watched amused as Lois paced around the living room angrily as she rambled on.

“Well, if it makes you feel any better; I don’t trust him either. I think there’s more to the whole Prometheus thing than what met the eye.” Clark remarked.

“I know.” Lois nodded, “I’m sorry I brushed your warning about Lex off so quickly. I guess I learned my lesson, huh?” She glanced at Lucy’s door, shaking her head. “I don’t know what I’m gonna do.”

“You and Lucy seem…close.”

“We are.” Lois smiled weakly, “when we’re not fighting.”

“Are you going to be okay?” he asked.

“Yeah.” She nodded. “I’ll be fine.”

He grabbed a piece of paper and pulled out a pen. “This is my new number. If you need to talk. Just call me…doesn’t matter what time.”

Lois smiled weakly at him. “Thanks, Clark.”

“Goodnight.” He gave her a peck on the cheek and left before she could react.

Lois sat awake for a few hours, staring at the blank screen of the television in front of her. Her fight with Lucy was wearing on her mind along with her mixed feelings towards Clark. He was a great guy; anyone could see that. She definitely felt something for him, but she had also felt something when Superman had held her in his arms. She knew it was ridiculous to dream like this. He probably hadn’t thought twice about flying her to the Planet.

Flown….They had flown into the newsroom. She had been so stunned; she hardly had been able to string two sentences together. Superman probably thought she was the biggest moron on the planet. Where did he come from? Were there more like him? Was he seeing anyone?

She snorted at that last thought, “Yeah, right, Lois…” she muttered to herself. He probably barely even noticed her. He probably wouldn’t even remember her name. Had she given him her name? She couldn’t remember…When they had been flying he seemed a bit nervous too. Was he not used to carrying someone with him while he flew? Or did she have an effect on him? He certainly had had an effect on her? How could he not? It was the most romantic thing…to be literally flown into the newsroom like that.

He made her weak in the knees. Nobody made her weak in the knees…Well, except for Clark…when he had kissed her….and what a kiss that had been. If she was perfectly honest with herself, he made her weak in the knees every time he smiled at her. “What am I gonna do?” she asked herself aloud. In the last week, she had had three men had come into her life. Lex Luthor had been charming and debonair, but he hid behind a mask of deception. There was more to him; she was sure of. He had tried to pursue her while dating her sister….What kind of man does that?

Then there was Clark. He was naïve, charming, educated, and surprisingly trustworthy. He made her weak in the knees whenever he smiled at her and it scared her to death. He was gorgeous. She couldn’t deny the feeling of relief she felt when she had watched him turn Cat down the other day. Cat never got turned down by any man.

When he had asked her to dinner she had been nervous. Lucy had insisted it was a date, but it hadn’t felt like one. She had just been enjoying his company and had kissed her on the cheek. He had been the perfect gentleman, not pushing her or reading too much into their having dinner with one another...

She had wanted more. She had wanted him to kiss her…the same way he had kissed her in the middle of the newsroom. She couldn’t deny the disappointment she had felt when he had only left her with a peck on the cheek. She wasn’t sure what she felt for him, but she knew she was falling for him. How was that possible? They had just met and here she was dreaming about kissing him?

Of course, she also was daydreaming about kissing Superman too. What did that say about her? She was dreaming of being with more than one man? How did that work? What was wrong with her? She hated people who were unfaithful, yet here she was daydreaming about two different men. Not that she was being unfaithful…She wasn’t in a relationship with either man. Not that she didn’t want to be…or did she?

What was happening to her? She had gone from professional career woman to mush in a matter of a few days. “I just need some sleep.” She muttered to herself. “It’s just been a rough few days. I’m a professional; I don’t have time to worry about men.”

Jason Trask was a man on a mission. His sources had brought him to Metropolis after the situation at EPRAD. He had told his colleagues for years that Earth was under attack and no one believed him. Now, this Superman as he called himself had made his first move. He had been contacted by Lex Luthor shortly after arriving in Metropolis. The man obviously didn’t realize who he was dealing with; thinking he could order him around? “I want to make sure we’re on the same page, Mr. Luthor. I find this Superman to be a threat to mankind. I am not looking to study him; I want to kill him!” he yelled into the phone in outrage.

“I understand that Mr. Trask, but please understand where I’m coming from. I want to find out how this Superman has found it under his own power the ability to fly a spacecraft into outer space. I want his body brought to me. You can kill him however you like as long as I’m able to study him afterwards. Are we clear?” Lex asked.

“Perfectly.” Trask spat before hanging up the phone. He then turned to his assistant, “We need to get moving. Superman could be planning his attack as we speak.”

“Of course, Mr. Trask, but don’t you think we should…”

“Who’s in charge around here; you or me?” Trask sneered.

“Uh, you, sir.”

“That’s what I thought.”

The next morning the Daily Planet was a bustle of activity. Reporters were scurrying about, chasing after their next lead. Lois made her way to the coffee pot and poured herself a cup. She discreetly stole a glance at her partner who was already hard at work. She took a sip of her coffee savoring the taste as she watched him from a safe distance.

“Wow, that must be some coffee; you’re practically drooling, Lois.” Cat sneered, walking up from behind her. She caught the direction Lois had been looking and smiled, unable to resist teasing her, “Or are you drooling over …other things. Maybe something or someone of the male persuasion? Tall dark, handsome….wears glasses? Am I getting warm here?”

Lois rolled her eyes and walked away, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Uh-huh.” Cat smiled, “Well, something’s chipped the ice off of you….The only thing that makes sense is your new partner…” Cat’s expression changed to a devilish smile, “Of course it could be that Super-hunk that brought you back from the space station. Tell me, Lois, why exactly did you name him ‘Superman’?”

Lois glared at her, “And you wonder why nobody ever takes you seriously?” She walked towards her desk, trying to ignore Cat who was hot on her trail.

“Come on, give. You fly in here yesterday with the super hunk…barely able to talk…something had to have zapped you speechless.”

Lois rolled her eyes, “I’m not having this conversation. None of your business. Comprende?”

Cat was about to say more but Jimmy interrupted, “Cat, you’ve got a call on line one.”

Cat scowled at Lois, “This isn’t over.” She marched over to her desk to take her phone call.

Lois shook her head and walked over to Clark, “Whatcha working on?”

“Adoptive kids finding their birth parents,” Clark replied, not looking up from his computer screen.

Lois nodded and began listing off ideas on her hand, “Search for roots. Emotional roller-coaster. Unrealistic expectations. Tear-jerker reconciliations.”

“Quick study,” Clark noted, impressed.

Lois smiled, “Not really.” She admitted, “I did it three years ago.”

Clark smiled, “There are no new stories, Lois, just…”

“…new angles.” They finished in unison. They caught one another’s gaze, smiling at one another. They seemed to be finishing one another’s sentences a lot lately.

“I’ve never really understood why people put themselves through all of that.” She added, “It seems to me if your parents didn’t care enough to raise you, then why give it a second thought?”

Clark turned to face her, “Because they had to have a reason for giving you up and it’s that…not knowing…that kills you.”

Lois noticed the emotion behind his statement. He seemed to be talking from experience rather than an un-objective reporter. Lois shrugged, “I’m not really much for the touchy-feely stuff.”

“Well…” Clark was interrupted by a commotion by the elevators.

She and Clark turned to see a man in the middle of a group of black-suited men. The man commanded the attention of the newsroom, “I have a warrant issued by Federal Court!” he held up a paper as he made his way towards them. The suit’s that surrounded him began to pan out and approach the work areas of everyone and securing the exit’s to the building. “Everyone: Step away from your desks!” he ordered.

Perry came out of his office to intercept the man, “Nobody comes busting into my newsroom like this!”

The man handed over the warrant, “Take it up with Washington.”

Perry scanned the document, “Order to produce evidence…compel testimony…Lois Lane and Clark Kent!”

An agent began to search through Lois’ desk. She approached the agent, trying to get him away from her desk. Nobody was going to go through her desk without her say-so. “Wait a minute!” she got in the man’s face. A second agent approached her from behind, trying to pull her away. She struggled in the man’s grasp as a third agent approached her. “Get your hands off me!”

Clark moved to help, trying to pull one of the agents away, but the man instinctively whirled around to confront him with a weapon. “Put it away!” The leader of the men ordered. “He’s just a reporter.” The agent stared Clark down for a moment before putting his weapon away.

Lois freed herself from the grasp of the other two agents, “Reporter. As in protected by the Constitution.”

“Impressive document the Constitution.” The man sneered back at her, “It gives the courts the authority to issue warrants like this one. Which says I get what I want?”

“What exactly is that?” Clark asked, slightly ticked.

The man moved to confront him, “Mister Kent, I presume?” Clark nodded. “I want Superman. And I’m not leaving until you tell me where I can find him.”

“What makes you think Clark or I know how to find him?” Lois asked, taken aback.

“Miss Lane, you flew back with him from the space station. He had to have divulged something to you.” The man remarked. “The alien, Superman is a part of a conspiracy to conquer Earth.”

Lois turned to Clark, “This guy's a few popcorns short of a Cracker Jack box.” She muttered under her breath.

“Go ahead and scoff.” The man turned to one of the agents. “Get started with the screening of their computers.”

“What???” Lois asked in disbelief.

“And put them in the conference room. I don’t want any more disturbances….from anyone.” He gave a pointed look towards Lois. She just glared back.

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube