Previous part is here.

From Part 2:

Then with a tremor in her voice, softly asked, "Can we start with a hug?"

Silently he nodded, stood up and opened his arms as she simultaneously stood, launching herself into his waiting arms. She clung to him as he gently enfolded her. Once again tonight tears silently tracked down her cheeks. While she couldn't verbalize what she felt, it felt right and her heart sang, recognizing him as her lifeline.

Initially startled with the intensity of her embrace, Clark relaxed in the moment. He gently held her, rocking back and forth while slowly rubbing circles on her back. She relaxed into his embrace and her tears slowed until they stopped.

They forgot the pain of the last weeks, giving each other comfort. Lois felt and Clark heard their hearts beating in synchronization.

Both recognized how right it felt…

Like coming home.

Only better.

Now, Part 3...

After a few minutes, they separated. They sat next to each other on the sofa in silence until Lois spoke.

"Wow."

Clark chuckled, "That's what I thought. For two reporters who make our living with words we sure don't seem to have much to say right now."

Lois sat thoughtfully for a few minutes. Then suddenly she jumped up and began pacing. Clark silently watched her until she spoke.

"Clark, have you ever felt like your life is being played on a chessboard?"

Without waiting for him to answer she continued, "That's how I've been feeling. That Perry's retirement was to get him out of the way. That Jack and Jimmy were pawns and were removed from the newsroom and my life. I'm even questioning whether Jack was framed. And I never trusted him! When the Planet was destroyed my job, colleagues and friends were all gone. My family is scattered, with Mom in rehab in the Midwest, my father buried in his research at Lex Labs upstate and Lucy in California. I felt lost, and still feel in shock. Thinking about all that has happened, I feel my life is out of my control. And worse, it feels like someone else is in charge. And that makes me angry. So, it feels like I'm on a chessboard. And the worst part is I don't know who the players are, or even who is what piece. Other than the pawns, which could be everyone except Lex."

Clark sat stunned, realizing Lois had spoken without seeming to take a breath. Then a slow smile spread across his face as he watched her get more and more animated and agitated.

Lois turned to look at him, raised an eyebrow and asked, "Do you think this is funny?"

He just quietly said, "No, not funny. I'm not amused. I'm happy. You're back."

She paused mid-rant and said, "What? I've been here the whole time."

"No, you haven't. You haven't been yourself since the Planet was bombed, maybe even before. This is the real you. The woman who can take leaps of logic and put together clues no one else can. This is the three-time Kerth award winner who wants a Pulitzer before she's thirty. I missed you."

Lois just stared at him. Then she returned his smile. "So what do you think of chess?"

"I think it is a brilliant analogy. I also think that Lu-Lex forgot that the most powerful piece on the board is the queen. What do you think our next move is?"

"The queen huh?" Lois smiled, "Lex has no idea what he's done and who he's messing with. It's not just the queen. I'm hoping it will be Lane and Kent, the city's best investigative team."

"I'd like that very much."

"Well, I think we need a game changer. We need to play a different game. I don't know about you, but I don't like to play a game I don't know the rules and can't see the board. If we were at the Planet, we'd get Jimmy to do some research. Maybe we should work backwards, starting with the Planet's bombing."

"Lois, I've been doing some digging. I think you're right about Jack. I'm planning to talk to him tomorrow. That bomb was complex. Jack wouldn't have the funds…"

Lois interrupted, "… or the knowledge to make it. What about motive?"

"Jack's newsroom job was eliminated in so-called 'cost cutting.' He quietly took the demotion to printing because he needed to get Denny out of Foster Care when Jack turns 18. He needed…"

"… his job and good references. He seems to love Denny and… "

"… would do anything to protect him."

"So he he's the scapegoat, not the bomber."

Clark continued, "I found hints there may be more than one insurance policy on the Planet. If so…"

"Lex lied to me! And it's likely there was more than enough to rebuild the Planet."

"Assuming all the policies pay and that Luthor Corporation or Lex Luthor is the beneficiary. And I have that file I started a few months ago on him if you want to see it."

"You bet I do! Tomorrow or the next day. I don't think I could focus tonight. But Clark, if this is true why would Lex buy the Planet and then turn around and destroy it?"

"You."

"Me?"

"Lois, it's a military strategy. Lu-Lex is a student of Sun Tzu and other historical military strategists. Isolate the enemy, and then you can defeat him."

"I'm the enemy?"

"Maybe. The question is, are you the enemy due to your investigative skills? Or are you really a romantic interest? Or maybe both?"

"What?"

"All is fair in love and war. Could he be viewing love as a game of war?"

"Maybe."

"Lois, do you remember the tests that Superman went through when he first arrived?"

"Tests? No, I don't think so…"

"The dual jumpers, the bombing of the Carlin building?"

"Those were tests?"

"Speed, invulnerability. Luthor as much as admitted to Superman that they were tests. Superman disappeared when Luthor told him if he stayed more people would get hurt. When he first met Superman he said, 'Let the games begin'. "

"That's awful!"

"Yeah, it is."

"Do you think I'm responsible for the Planet bombing?"

"NO! Don't ever think that! Whoever bombed the Planet is solely responsible. What I'm trying to say is he thinks of everything as a game to win. And you're right we don't know what game is being played. We don't know the players, and we don't even know what the endgame is."

"So Lex's goal could be to marry me and control the stories I write, or don't write. I'm in an office at LNN that is away from the action, and basically I have no authority or responsibility. I'm not doing investigative work…"

"… and are isolated. Cut off from your beloved Planet, your colleagues, your friends, your family."

"And Superman. This may sound conceited, but I wonder if Lex asked me to marry him because he loves me, wants me out of the way or because he can take me from Superman? Although I'm not sure Superman ever really had me."

"What do you mean?"

"Just something he said, that he's not sure he can have a romantic attachment to anyone. How sad is that? He must be so alone, last of his kind with no friends or family from Krypton. And he can't publicly have a family or friends. Too dangerous for them, and he'd be at risk to be manipulated to keep them safe."

"When you put it that way, it is sad and lonely."

"Clark, we've only talked about part of what I wanted to say. Before I came over tonight I realized how little I know about Lex. When I ask him a direct question he rarely answers, changing the topic or giving an evasive answer. In answer to your question from this afternoon, I realized tonight that I don't love Lex. If even a fraction of what you and Superman suspect is true, he's much worse than I thought. I can't marry him. And I want to work with you to find out. If he's dirty, we'll bring him down."

"So, what are you going to do?"

"That's one of the things I wanted to talk to you about. I thought about going undercover, working at LNN and maybe accepting his proposal or delay answering him."

After a pause to remind himself of his mantra, Clark spoke after choosing his words carefully. "Lois, tell me what you want me to say. I don't want to fight with you. I feel like I'm walking a fine line here. Do you want my opinion, or do you need a sounding board first?"

"I don't know. I guess I need to work through this without judgment or prejudice. Can you do that?"

"Lois, I don't know. All I can do is try. You know how I feel about him, and it's scared me to think how close you've become. If you need to talk without me saying much, I'll do my best. Please let me voice my opinion though before you make any final decision."

"I can do that. The thing is, I'm also afraid that if Lex has been able to manipulate me without me seeing it, he may be able to continue to do so. And he keeps his business dealings from me. I'm thinking my job at LNN would be a distraction. I'm not sure I'd learn much from either him or LNN. I need help deciding what to do."

Lois listed several options and Clark made occasional suggestions. Over the next hour they discussed the pros and cons of each. Finally, they decided the best plan was for Clark to see Jack as planned the next day. Lois would go to work at LNN and look at her job and workplace from her fresh perspective before making a final decision.

"Clark, tomorrow night is Perry's retirement party."

"You're still going aren't you?"

"Yes of course. We both need to go. Lex is sending a car for me, and I'll be able to take Perry, Jimmy and you home. We'll have a designated driver, so if we have too much to drink or are just too emotional to go home alone, it will be a safe ride. You can come too. Although…" her voice trailed off as the germ of an idea grew.

"What?"

"Clark, do you think there might be a spy at the party? Someone reporting to Lex?"

"I hadn't thought about it, but why not? It could be someone who is getting paid, for information or someone who thinks the information would be of value for a job I suppose. Technically we're all his ex-employees, so someone might feel loyalty to him, especially if that person were annoyed with you or me. Or both of us."

Lois outlined her plan for the party. Together they made some adjustments, and she called a cab. Clark walked her to the cab, and then went back into his apartment while listening to her heartbeat. He walked inside, locked the door then spun into his suit and took off from his balcony. Superman followed her discretely to make sure she got home safely.

She did, and once inside her apartment got ready for bed. She fell asleep almost as soon as her head hit the pillow.

The next day started out with Lois in her new office. She really had nothing to do, so started looking through her clippings, especially those about Superman. A disturbance in the newsroom brought her out of her office. Worried about a possible CNN scoop, the news team had been frantic and contemplated going on air without confirmation of the facts. Perry would have been appalled! Lois used her sources so they were able to go on air with additional accurate details. Afterwards she basked in the praise of her colleagues. Yet she couldn't help but compare it to the Planet... when she had written the stories that eventually led to her three Kerth Awards… when she had uncovered the ring of car thieves by going undercover… and more recently when she shared the investigating and limelight with Clark.

Here at LNN she would get the respect of her colleagues, but no public acknowledgement that she did all the work for others to take the credit. Unless the story won an award and she was listed as the producer. That was unsettling, and Lois realized that wasn't her. She wondered for a moment where "Mad Dog Lane" had gone. And could Lois survive without Mad Dog in her professional life? The LNN celebration also paled in comparison to Perry's celebrations. Today there was no acknowledgement by her immediate supervisor that she had gotten a scoop for LNN and beaten the competition. With a start, she recognized there was also an emptiness that hurt her heart without Clark by her side.

After work, she hurried home to change. Lex was providing the limo for her to get to and from Perry's retirement party, which was tonight. The last thing she felt like was acting happy and upbeat, yet she would do it for Perry. She was going to miss him and everyone at the Planet terribly. Lois didn't even realize how on edge she was as she headed out to the party.

After seeing Lois home and making a patrol rather than going to bed, Clark had showered at human speed in his apartment then traveled to Kansas for a home cooked country breakfast. His parents welcomed him with open arms, and were pleased with how he handled himself with Lois the night before. They thought he did well, and were delighted about how he and Lois planned to work together. Knowing Lois' tendency to go undercover and throw caution to the wind in the heat of an investigation, they cautioned him about the dangers if Luthor became suspicious.

He shared his concerns about who had really bombed the Planet. His parents agreed it was awfully convenient for the evidence to turn up in Jack's lunchbox and apartment. And even if Jack were a serious suspect, how did a former street kid working as a gofer have the knowledge or resources for the bombing? Jonathan and Martha reiterated their belief in Clark and his instincts. After hugs and promises to keep his parents informed, Clark returned to his apartment to nap before going to see Jack after lunch.

Luthor had hired Jack's lawyer. Jack was convinced the lawyer wasn't interested in helping him. Clark offered to find an honest lawyer, and promised to keep digging into who really blew up the Planet. Jack was relieved that Clark believed he was framed, although he did ask Clark if Superman could spring him from "Juvvie Hall." Clark told him no, and left with new determination to bring Luthor down for destroying the Planet and so many lives.

The party started off harmless enough, with Perry reminiscing. After awhile he sang "Lonely Teardrops" and regaled the group with a new Elvis anecdote. Then a belly dancer drew him away from the table dancing. Everyone chuckled, and expressed their pleasure that Perry was enjoying himself.

The atmosphere changed when Jimmy turned to Lois and asked, "So how's the new job, Lois?"

She replied, "Great! Broadcasting is a whole new world. It's so exciting."

There was an uncomfortable silence at the table as if no one knew what to say.

Clark bit back a sharp retort and broke the silence, "How does it compare to the Planet?"

"Oh, nothing could ever replace the Planet, but I for one, am not sitting around obsessing about it."

"Well, I'm trying to figure out how the Planet failed. What we know is only the tip of the iceberg."

"Clark, can I have a word with you in private?"

The rest of the table remained quiet and gave each other uncomfortable glances as Lois and Clark got up and moved to the hall of the restaurant.

Lois whispered, "This is perfect! We can stage our fight here. Keep your eyes open so we can see if anyone is watching us carefully or getting close enough to listen."

She sounded angry as she turned on Clark, "You're ruining Perry's retirement dinner!"

Looking astonished, he retorted, "Me?! I'm not the one gloating over my new job. To a roomful of people who are out of work by the way."

"Gloating?"

"All you've talked about is your new job and your new life at LNN."

"And all you can do is sit around whining in your beer."

Clark shook his head. "I can't believe you'd say that. What about how bragging about your new job makes those who worked longer than you at the Planet feel? Or how about those who now find themselves unexpectedly without a paycheck to support their families?"

"They're not my problem."

"Well, I care about what happens to them. The Planet was the best place I ever worked."

"Maybe it's time to move on. Have you thought that maybe I'm showing them how to move beyond the Planet?"

"I can honestly say that didn't cross my mind. Lois, how many other Planet employees now have jobs thanks to Lex Luthor?"

"I don't know."

"I do. None. Zero."

Lois gasped. She really hadn't thought about anyone else's jobs.

Clark continued, "That's how 'Metropolis' Greatest Philanthropist' treats those who work for him. Is that the kind of man you want to be your employer… or your husband?"

"Clark, that is none of your business. I know why you're doing this."

"Oh you do, do you?"

"Yes. You told me your feelings and you were hurt. I'm sorry about that Clark, but all this is just sour grapes."

"What? You don't know me very well if you think I am more concerned about my hurt feelings that the welfare of those unemployed Planet employees and their families. Lois, what if I find evidence…"

Lois snapped, "Just stop! You're talking about a man I trust and admire."

She took a deep breath then continued, "If you really cared about me, you'd let me… no, you'd help me be happy. I've gotten a good job working for a man who wants to spend the rest of his life with me. What's wrong with that?"

Clark stared at her. Taking a deep breath, he forced his voice to be soft and gentle. He didn't want this fake argument to escalate. Although he was beginning to wonder how much of it reflected real hurt and anger.

"I don't even know how to reply to that. Apparently you trust Luthor more than me, and I'm sorry you feel that way. All these changes have happened so fast, it's almost as if someone were pulling the strings to keep us off balance. And…"

She interrupted, "I suppose you have someone in mind for pulling those strings?"

Clark heard the anger in her voice and saw it in her face. Either Mad Dog Lane was making an appearance tonight or Lois was acting perfectly. He continued in character to speak softly and gently.

"As I said, I'm looking for evidence. Lois, I do not want to fight with you… especially not tonight. I may not see some of these folks again for a long time—maybe never again. I don't want to add strife to the pain of losing the Planet and the Chief's retirement."

Haughtily she replied, "Well, it's too late for that. You crossed the line when you told Superman about your feelings and Lex's proposal."

Clark gaped at her. "Lois, what are you talking about? Who told you that?"

"No one. I figured it out"

"Well, you figured wrong. Unless you hear it from the person I spoke to or me, don't tell me what I did or did not tell someone. That conversation never took place," he sharply replied.

Which was technically true, Clark thought, because he didn't actually talk to Superman as Clark. Or vice versa.

"Then how did he know?"

"Lois, Superman has his own sources, including super hearing."

"Does he listen in on private conversations?"

"Will you listen to yourself? It sounds like you trust Luthor more than Superman! You were just upset thinking that Superman and I talked about you, and now you want to talk about him."

"Fine!"

"Lois, we should get back to the party."

She sarcastically replied, "And have a really good time."

As she turned towards him away from the crowd, the hint of a smile started. She whispered, "Good job." Relief flooded through him as he realized it was an act. When he caught her eye out of the line of sight of anyone else, he winked quickly and silently followed her back to the party.

The rest of the party was uneventful. There were too many people to determine which one or two might be informants. Perry continued to dance with the belly dancer and seemed to enjoy himself. Clark left the table and mingled, while Lois stayed at the table next to Jimmy.

They left together, with Perry obviously inebriated. He sang "Lonely Teardrops" on the way. Jimmy poured him into the limousine.

Jimmy commented, "It must be nice to have a free limo at your disposal."

Staying in character, Clark clenched his teeth as if he was preventing himself from offering a sarcastic comment. He couldn't help thinking that with Luthor nothing was ever free.

Lois noted the tension in Clark's face, and was surprised when he remained silent. When the silence stretched for several minutes, she turned to him and asked, "Are you coming?"

He bit out, "I'd. Rather. Walk." Then he abruptly turned on his heel and stalked towards his apartment.

Lois stared at him as he walked away. She remembered how bereft she felt when he kissed her goodbye and walked out of the Planet during the November heat wave. She'd almost forgotten how that was the Luthor Nuclear Plant's fault. Amazingly, she felt worse as she watched Clark walk away tonight, even though she knew their fighting was all an act. Who knew Clark was such a good actor? She was astonished to see him raise his head when she whispered, "Clark." He kept walking, though. She stood transfixed until he was out of sight. When Jimmy and Perry diverted her attention, she silently slid into the seat next to Jimmy.

The limo driver took Jimmy and Perry to Perry's house. Both Jimmy and Lois helped him out of the limo and into his house. Jimmy was going to stay the night. Lois then had the driver take her home. The stress of the last few days was wearing.

When she opened her door, there was an envelope inside on the floor. She opened it and found a card with the Peanuts gang on the front and inside simply said, "I'm glad we're friends." And it was signed "Still your friend, Charlie King." Lois smiled and hugged it to her chest as she realized Clark once again knew exactly the right thing to say, or in this case to write.

In the morning, Clark had a leisurely breakfast. He knew Lois was going to see Luthor late this morning, and he planned to have Superman available watching and listening. He left about 30 minutes before her appointment, and flew high above her apartment.

He carefully listened and heard her steady, mildly elevated heartbeat. Consistent with anxiety or excitement, not fear. Good. He patiently waited until she left and then followed her from a distance high above the clouds. A lifetime of practice had honed his patience skills, although Lois frequently tested those limits.

As her cab approached Lex Tower, he found a spot on the roof of the nearby Seigel Building, which had no cameras installed for surveillance. Spinning into a black polo shirt and pants, he retreated into the shadows of the roof's machinery and ducts. He could clearly see and hear Luthor in his penthouse. Even if Luthor came out onto his balcony, he would not see Clark. And both media and police helicopters also would not spot him in the shadows. If anyone did spot him, with Superman's slicked back hair and without his glasses in his black outfit, it was unlikely they would recognize him as either Clark or Superman.

He followed Lois' progress up the penthouse's elevator. When the doors opened, Mrs. Cox coolly greeted her and escorted her to Luthor's den.

As she stepped off the elevator, Lois took in the penthouse surroundings like she hadn't before. She felt the coldness of the impersonal yet professional decor. She couldn't help but compare it to the homey feeling of Clark's apartment. Even her own apartment with its uncomfortable loveseats held treasures that an astute observer could use to discover parts of the real Lois Lane. The penthouse showed no such personal touches. No doubt Lex had hired the best interior designer. She wondered if the added chill in the air reflected Mrs. Cox's feelings or if it was due to her new knowledge of Lex, and what she planned to tell him.

Lex stood up as she entered and with a smile exclaimed, "Lois, my dear! I'm glad you're here. So… how was the retirement dinner?"

Lois sighed and said, "Painful."

She studied him as he replied, "I'm sorry. I wish there was something I could do to help."

If she hadn't been looking closely she would have missed the fleeting smile and look of triumph that passed over his features before his face took on the appearance of concern and dismay.

He took her in his arms. Surprised, she stared at him.

"What is it, Lois?"

"Nothing. It's just… do I really know you? Know enough about you?"

"My life is an open book. Shall I read it to you?"

Lois nearly burst out laughing at the banality of his words. For the first time she heard the insincerity and arrogance in his voice. She swallowed, and then quietly replied, "Only the parts you wouldn't want anyone else to know."

"Okay… I started with nothing… orphaned at age thirteen."

"It must have been terrible."

"Yes, but it made me strong." After pausing dramatically he continued, "I'm no saint, Lois. I've done questionable things in pursuing success. Unfortunately, that's the nature of big business.

"Sometimes out of jealously or frustration, I've over-reacted.

"I've been ruthless towards my enemies.

"But as God is my witness, I swear to you, from this moment on, I will change. I no longer want to hurt anyone."

He walked over to his desk, took out the engagement ring box and brought it back to Lois. He got down on one knee and proclaimed, "Lois, I'm ready to devote my entire life to you, utterly and eternally. Will you marry me?"

Lois stared at him, thinking back on Clark's declaration of love in the park and the conversations she had with Superman two nights ago and with Clark later that night. All she heard was the insincerity in Luthor's voice, which she couldn't reveal to him.

Taking a deep breath she slowly replied, "No, Lex. I can't marry you. You deserve much more than me."

"Lois, why? Is there someone else?"

"No, there's no one else. Lex I've never considered marriage as an option. My parents bitterly divorced. I've spent my adult life concentrating on my career. And now that's gone."

"Surely not. You're a producer at LNN."

"That's the other thing I came to tell you today. Lex, I'm very grateful that you gave me the opportunity at LNN. The truth is, I don't fit in there. I'm a print journalist and..."

Lex interrupted, "With these changes, why not start over with someone who loves you?"

Immediately Lois thought of Clark, but pushed those thoughts aside. Brusquely she said, "Lex, let me finish. This is difficult enough for me to say without the interruptions."

Startled to see her dare to speak to him in a sharp tone of voice, anger crossed his face before his mask of concern returned. Both Lois and Clark from his vantage point noticed.

More gently Lois said, "What I'm trying to say is that I need time to decide what I want to do with my life. I've lived my whole life in Metropolis, and I never considered living anywhere else. Until now... with the Planet gone, I'm not sure if the memories will allow me to stay. I'm resigning my position at LNN and going to take my time to decide what I need. I suppose the phrase seems almost trite, but I need a clean break from everything to 'find myself'."

"I see. Are you sure there's no one else affecting this decision? Superman perhaps?"

Lois knew that her next words were among the most important she'd ever spoken. She needed to protect all her family and friends, including Superman.

"Superman? No. I admit I had a crush on him. He explained to me that he couldn't have close friends or family. I'm sorry to see him so alone, but that's the life he's chosen. And I need to respect that.

"My family is scattered, with Lucy on the west coast, Mother in rehab and Daddy busy with his research. Perry is retired and my other colleagues from the Planet are searching for jobs all over the country."

"What about Kent? Isn't he still here?"

A chill went down her spine as she looked into Lex's icy eyes. Her voice trembled and her eyes became tear-filled as she hesitantly replied, "Clark… Clark and I have had major disagreements over the past few weeks." She looked down, paused, took a deep breath and continued, "It came to a head last night at the dinner. With the Planet gone, we're no longer partners. And… a-after last night we're n-no longer friends."

No one could tell from her body language, facial expression or voice that she was lying. Only Clark knew by listening to her heart.

Lois watched carefully as various emotions fleetingly crossed Lex's features. She realized he wasn't at a loss for words, but rather like a chess master was calculating his next moves before he replied, "I'm sorry. The loss of friendships can be as painful as divorce. Perhaps I've been too anxious. Let's continue to see each other as friends. More informally, we'll get to know each other better. You'll see how I can change. With time, I'm sure you'll see how devoted I am to you. And how much you have changed my life."

Steadying herself, she said, "No, Lex. I appreciate the offer and your feelings. I need time... away. I don't want to hurt you but I don't love you like you need to be loved. And as I said before, I don't want to marry anyone. I'm not sure I'll be staying in Metropolis. I've been saving for a trip to Tahiti, and this may be the perfect time to take it. Please show how much you care by honoring my decision and not contacting me. When I'm ready to talk to you, I'll let you know."

"Of course I'll respect your decision. Allow me to show you to the elevator?"

"Thank you Lex. You respecting my decision means a lot to me." With that, Lois and Lex walked to the elevator. He called for it, and kissed her hand before she stepped into it and descended to the lobby. Once there, she caught a cab outside and headed for her apartment. Seeing how he had tried to manipulate her today and realizing she'd allowed it in the past both humbled her and made her furious. She felt dirty after such close contact with Lex, so decided she needed another shower.

Once the elevator doors closed, Luthor's countenance clouded and he turned to Mrs. Cox, "We have work to do. Come into my office." Turning on his heel, he briskly entered his office as Mrs. Cox followed.

Clark followed Lois's heartbeat as she returned to her apartment. He continued to monitor her heartbeat for distress or danger as he watched and listened with growing horror and anger as Luthor and Mrs. Cox conspired.

They discussed…

That Mrs. Cox's informant confirmed Lois and Clark had had a serious fight last night, and they were not speaking to each other, barely tolerating each other in fact…

How Lex had acquired the Planet through a combination of bribery and blackmail of the Board of Trustees…

How they'd framed Jack for the bombing and planned to "neutralize" him…

That Luthor knew Superman came to Earth as a baby and that he determined to find out where and when in order to kill his family, with Superman's full knowledge and when powerless to prevent it so he would suffer…

At this point, Clark had to close his eyes and calm down while consciously preventing his heat vision from vaporizing Luthor. He turned more and more pale as he heard Mrs. Cox and Luthor calmly discussing…

"Series K," in which Lex Labs was creating a cage made of kryptonite to trap and torture Superman. Luthor was uncertain at this point whether his ultimate goal was to keep Superman imprisoned and weak, torturing him physically and emotionally for years or if he just wanted to kill him quickly and painfully…

A test of kryptonite to be sure of its potential before finalizing the cage and also the backup of making kryptonite bullets…

Ordering full surveillance of Lois, including tailing her and installing surveillance cameras and microphones throughout her apartment. Tracking devices were to be installed discreetly in her purse and shoes…

Doing a full background check on Clark Kent to find out any weaknesses or vices for potential blackmail material. Luthor remained undecided as to his fate, believing that Lois still cared enough for Clark that it could be advantageous to threaten to hurt him if she didn't do as Luthor wished.

Clark realized how conveniently Luthor forgot or never acknowledged that Clark had saved his life when the terrorists invaded the Planet a few weeks ago. He also realized with increased horror who Jack had sold his globe to, how close Luthor came to learning about Kansas and how the globe's theft might be contributing to Luthor's plans to kill Jack.

He shuddered to see and hear the callousness in their discussion, ordering killings and the destruction of lives as routinely as if they were ordering lunch.
He was almost glad when Luthor realized he had forgotten to activate the room silencer. As Luthor strode onto his balcony, Clark moved further into the shadows and remained inhumanly still. After a few minutes, Luthor returned inside and activated the room silencer. Mrs. Cox went to her desk. Apparently their meeting was over.

Remaining in the shadows, Clark pondered the list of atrocities Luthor had committed and planned in the future. There a transformation came over Clark. Under normal circumstances, this would not have happened for another two years. Instead, here on the roof of the Seigel Building in downtown Metropolis, Clark Kent – mild mannered investigative reporter who was also the superhero Superman – added a third side of his personality to the mix.

His body language changed. He stood taller than Superman, and acquired a regal presence.

In that moment, his revulsion and rage at this discussion he'd monitored had awakened his dormant military Kryptonian persona that could one day become…

Lord Kal-El, Supreme Commander and Ruler.

Of course Clark didn't know this. He realized he was suddenly thinking more like a military strategist but didn't know why. He thought maybe it was a new superpower. He knew that he and Lois needed all the help they could get. So, having experienced developing unexpected superpowers in the past, he simply calmly accepted and worked with the changes.

After making sure that Mrs. Cox and Luthor had completed their meeting, Clark spun back into his suit and flew to the 12th Precinct. Superman spoke with Inspector Bill Henderson about the hit being ordered on Jack. The Inspector promised to get Jack to a safe house. Superman offered his services if there was any hint that Jack would not be safe. They made arrangements that should Superman be needed, Henderson would contact Clark Kent.

Next he flew off in one direction, then when out of sight turned towards his apartment. There he called his parents. Clark told them of the probability of a background check by Luthor's people. Martha and Jonathan promised to alert Sheriff Rachel Harris. They'd explain that a dangerous criminal masquerading as a businessman was looking to stop Clark's investigation of him, without giving any additional details. Between Rachel and his parents the entire town would know that any requests for information should be viewed as suspicious, and go through Rachel's office. Smallville would close ranks to protect the Kents.

After the call, Clark decided to check on Lois. He spun into the suit and flew to her apartment. He spotted the driver of a black sedan watching her apartment house from across the street. He also noticed a couple of other suspicious people sitting on the bench across from her apartment.

Flying unseen onto the roof, Clark spun into his black clothes without his glasses. He left his hair in Superman's style, and headed from the roof access to Lois' apartment. Scanning the hallway and finding nothing amiss, he walked up to her door and knocked.

Lois came to the door, and looked through the peephole. Not recognizing the tall dark haired man, she asked, "Who's there?"

"It's your friend, Kal."

Puzzled, Lois was about to ask further questions when Clark realized her confusion. He said, "Lois, I'm the friend you met on the shuttle. The one you went with back to the newsroom."

"Oh!" she exclaimed and quickly opened the door. "I didn't expect you…"

Clark interrupted, "Lois, can we continue this inside your apartment? I need to talk to you privately."

"Oh, sure. I'm sorry. Come in. Can I get you something to drink?"

"No, thanks."

He walked into her apartment and she closed and locked the door behind her.

"What can I do for you?"

"Is it okay if we sit?"

"Sure!"

After waiting for her to sit, Clark scanned the apartment then seated himself. Then he began, "Lois, I wasn't sure if you'd recognize me and I didn't want to give my full name as Kal-El. I'm glad you recognized me and understood who 'Kal' is."

"It took me a minute since I'm used to you dressing differently and using the window."

He nodded and then said, "As you and Clark asked, I followed you to your meeting with Lex Luthor. I stayed after you left and heard some disturbing plans you need to know about. I just scanned your apartment for bugs and it's clean. Before I leave I'll check the phones also. If you leave the apartment, assume that bugs have been placed while you were gone. And the safest precautions would be to consider keeping your door and windows locked, with the chain on the door."

With that, Clark filled her in on what he'd learned. He told her about the watchers. And then he explained that he didn't come to her window as Superman to prevent the watchers from knowing he was there. The only thing he didn't share was the information about his arrival on Earth as a baby and the risk to his parents. Instead he explained it as risk to his friends. He also suggested that she not visit Clark as Lois, since Lois and Clark were supposed to not be speaking to each other.

"Oh, I have a solution. I won't visit Clark, but his male cousin will."

"Lois, you'll be disguised as a man?"

"Yup. That's how I broke the car theft ring before you came."

"That's impressive. I, um, wouldn’t think that wou-would work," he stuttered as he blushed.

"That's the main reason it will work. Who would expect Lois Lane to be dressed as a guy? We need to work out the logistics. Maybe I can stay with Clark. I may need to leave town and Clark's cousin not arrive for a few days to shake the tail. I hate being out of the loop, even for a few days. It may be the safest alternative."

"Do you have somewhere to stay?"

"No. I do have my vacation money, so that's not a problem."

"Lois, I'm sure Clark's parents would put you up for a few days. Why don't you consider talking to him or them about it?"

"That's a good idea. And no one would suspect I'm staying at my former friend and former partner's parents' farm. It would only be a few days, right? I'm not much of a country person."

"Yes. I can give you a lift there and back if you like, so there won't be a trail. You could get on a train and look like you're traveling elsewhere. Then I'll help you disappear from the train."

"You'd do that?"

"Sure. I'll even ask the Kents if you can stay if you like."

"That would be nice. Thanks."

"Do you have something to eat? I'm suggesting you don't want to go out right now, and a delivery person could also be a risk."

"I hadn't thought of that. This stinks, you know?"

"I know. And I am sorry. I assume it'll be hard on you because you're used to investigating on your own. I strongly suggest that you consider not going out alone and not meeting Luthor alone again. I didn't like what I heard. I've never been both that fearful and furious as I was listening to Luthor and his assistant gloat and laugh about the crimes they commit. It's awful the people they've hurt without a thought for the damage they caused."

With anyone else, Lois would become defensive and her first reaction would be an angry retort that she could take care of herself. With Superman or Kal-El, she realized he was genuinely concerned about her. And she'd never seen any sign of him acting superior to women. So she replied, "With what you've told me, I'll agree on one condition. That you, Clark and anyone else we involve in this investigation do the same. At least as far as not seeing Lex alone."

He paused before answering and Lois continued, "Is kryptonite really dangerous?"

"Unfortunately, it is. The first time I was exposed to it I blacked out. I didn't know what it was. I lost my powers for a couple of days. And if exposed long enough, I could probably die. I don't think I need to ask, but I will anyway. Please, Lois this information must remain between you and me. Oh, Clark also knows so you can talk to him about it."

"As far as anyone else is concerned, it's a mythical rock. And thanks for trusting me with that secret."

"Lois, I do trust you. My life is full of secrets, and I'm not ready to share most right now. I don't know if I should apologize for that or not. I'm not sorry I'm keeping the secrets, but I am sorry it means excluding you. Does that make sense?"

"Yes, it does. And knowing how dangerous kryptonite is and that it exists changes things. It makes it even more imperative that you not see Lex alone."

"Why?"

"Lex has contacts in the military. Remember Shockwave and the tsunami? It would not surprise me that he learned about kryptonite through those contacts. Bureau 39 was an offshoot of the military. And maybe the military has a weapon that has the potential to harm you. Or maybe that 'Series K' is not limited to a cage and bullets. I still can't believe he'd want to cage you like an animal."

"Believe it. I do."

"Are you taking other precautions?"

"Yes, but I don't want to discuss them now."

"Still, I think you need to be vigilant. Can you feel kryptonite from a distance?"

"If it's not in lead. Lead blocks radiation and I assume the radiation from kryptonite."

"You know, I wonder if it has any long term dangerous effects on humans. Trask seemed to think it was safe, but maybe some of his paranoia was from handling the stuff."

"Could be."

"And you need to be sure you're not in a situation where you're alone with Luthor or someone who works for him."

Thoughtfully, he replied, "That makes sense, although it may be nearly impossible in some rescues. I'll definitely be more vigilant. And I can scan people for lead containers. From what Luthor said, I'm concerned about everyone in this investigation and those close to us. And in the spirit of equality of the genders, what's good for you should be good for the guys, right?"

"Yes!"

After pausing, Lois shyly asked, "Can I ask you a couple of questions?"

"Sure. I'm not prepared to answer all questions though, so I may not answer or give you the complete answer you want."

"Fair enough. This is just between us. When we're alone, can I call you Kal?"

"Sure."

Taking a deep breath she then asked, "Are you Ordinary Guy?"

"What? Who?"

TBC

Author's Note: Some dialogue taken and some adapted from "Barbarians at the Planet" Written by Dan Levine and Deborah Joy LeVine.

Comments go here!

TOC

Last edited by cuidadora; 09/18/16 07:49 PM. Reason: added recap from part 2

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly