Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I never would have dreamt that I'd be writing about quantum physics in a fanfic. I guess it's true that just about anything can be fodder for the writing mill.

I hope I did Schrödinger-the-cat justice; I am much more of a dog person than a cat woman myself. (Insert Selina Kyle joke here...)

As always, all feedback appreciated.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What a wonderful little story! If ever there was a good way to reach Lois's heart he has found it.

Years ago when I first started writing fanfic, Ultra Woman told me about Lois's cat Elroy. How good it is to see him finally mentioned in the fandom!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Adorable little fic! I can totally see Lois as a cat person too - they are way more independent than a dog (can be left, say, overnight while Lois is on a stakeout). Note: I say that as both a cat AND a dog person.

And don’t you dare say a word about zombies!

clap rotflol devil I just about died choking on my own spit! Awesome!

Mufasa, my very own golden tabby, approves of this story!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Top Banana
Top Banana
Lovely. So glad that you got Elroy in there.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Cute! Love how you used quantum physics to describe their relationship at that point.

Joan

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh--wow! I loved this Lynn clap notworthy...

I have always enjoyed just how deeply Lois and Clark connect. How she really understood so much about 'Superman' before she ever even knew Clark and him to be the same...everything, so deeply, about what he stood for and how hard it was to be him. And how Clark, even while having wonderful parents and support, could fully understand all of Lois' loneliness, pain, and sadness. It's amazing how different, but how totally alike, they both are.

That's my favorite part about this story--how Lois herself doesn't know why she's scared of being with Clark, but how Clark can figure it out. How he illustrates it with a situation, but at the same time, gives Lois a friend.

Wonderful job!!!

(I really enjoys dogs, but have always, deep down, been a cat person....

I grew up with a fish tank--yeah, can totally relate to Lois talking to her fish whistle--but always ALWAYS wanted a cat. Once I was out of college, when my sister and I were going to get an apartment and live together for the first time as adults--when she was out of the country and I was finding a place for us to live--we made a deal. I wanted a cat, and she said that if I happened to find an apartment that allowed them, then 'sure', that would be fine with her. Little did she know, that cat-friendly places were all that I visited lol peep thumbsup . I did end up telling her about my 'plan' and I/we had Bella for 11 wonderful years.

Fast forward quite a few more years, and now two different cats--Scruffy, 14, a tough old 'grumpy' stray that adopted us (who has the best, most unique personality). And Lily, 3, a sweet little girl from a shelter that really needed a home (who plays with our kids and their toys like she is one of them--hilarious! ). I'm constantly impressed by how smart they are...how they know me well enough to predict what I'm doing before I start. How they know our family schedule, all of our kid's unique giggles and screams, and what they mean. And how they choose over and over again to love us.

Laura (Crazy-Cat Lady, in the flesh, who is finally ready to 'Submit' my post blush grin --again, awesome job, Lynn hyper ).

Last edited by LMA; 07/15/16 11:44 AM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Awww kitties! I love cats. Very cute story. I kinda feel bad for the little cat at the end though. He's probably being taunted by the smell of the food and is desperately trying to get someone to feed him.

A neighbor cat basically traded houses and decided to come our cat. We also took in a cat that was mostly starved and quite afraid of people. Now though he's well fed and can't get enough attention.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Morgana, I'm impressed; I had been wondering whether anyone would catch the Elroy reference; I hadn't expected that the very first feedback post would mention him. Well done.

Deadly Chakram, glad you liked the zombie line; sorry that it was nearly hazardous to your health.

Mufasa, meow. smile

Victoria, another Elroy fan. smile And here I had figured that if either feline reference I had made in the story proper were cited, it would have been Goldie, since she plays heavily into the current comics. (I don't want to spoil it by saying how, but I will say that her appearance is quite memorable.)

Joan, thanks. I only know enough about quantum physics to have a brief discussion of superpositioning and the possible future of encryption in one of my computer classes, but it was fun to be able to apply my knowledge to L&C.

Laura, Clark always did seem to be more Lois-aware than Lois herself was self-aware. I agree with you about their similarities and differences. When I first started watching the show, all I really saw were the differences, but as I watched more episodes and thought more on the ones I had already watched, the two seemed to become increasingly alike.

Lady Loisette, Hopefully "Roadie" -- as I imagine Lois would start calling him; "Schroedinger" is rather a mouthful -- had had dinner at the shelter shortly before Clark picked him up. Your cats were lucky to have been adopted into your family. smile

Thanks to all of you for leaving feedback. You're the cat's meow. peep

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I love this and most every story involving cats. smile Lois needs to learn to love and trust again, and who better to teach her these skills than a cuddly cat (non-cuddly cat, not so much).

I was beginning to wonder if Lois would figure out that CK=S with them talking behind her back about getting her a cat.

I love that Clark (or was it Superman) kept in contact with the cat shelter about the cat he rescued, so that he knew when it needed to be rescued again. He's just the kind of guy who would follow up with the ones he saved to make sure that they were okay.

Schroedinger is quite the wing-man for Clark, relaxing Lois and giving her love so that Clark can come in and pry open her slammed door.

I wasn't sure who 'Elroy' was (or whom he was alluding to) until I read the "World Without a Superman" comic yesterday and saw that he's Lois's cat in that story. (I don't know if he's mentioned in any previous story line in the comics).

Good story. smile

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Virginia,

You've obviously had much better experiences with cats than I have. I can easily read dogs' "body language," but more than once I have had a cat purring and friendly one second, and then clawing at me the next with no warnings that I could discern. I'm always leery around them for that reason. (On the other hand, I have been given separate house-sitting and babysitting jobs for the sole reason that the dogs and I got along so well. In the case of babysitting, one of the dogs had to be locked up when any other non-family member was present, but for some reason, I was the one exception to that.)

I was beginning to wonder if Lois would figure out that CK=S with them talking behind her back about getting her a cat.
I think Clark has been talking to my muse, and Tallia has been corrupting him. First, I had wanted Clark rather than Superman to bring the cat over, but he refused that. Next, I had wanted a revelation; I had a line I liked and I really wanted to use. ("Well, Lois, when I told Superman about the cat, I was really just talking to myself.") But once again, Clark stubbornly resisted. He was adamant that if he told Lois at this delicate juncture in their relationship, the gedanken cat would be well and truly dead.

Sounds like your timing in reading World Without a Superman was perfect. I can't recall when in the post-Byrne era Elroy was introduced, but I seem to recall him having shown up in several stories. As I recall, he (unlike Goldie) was there just to flesh out the universe, so to speak; he didn't play a pivotal role in any of the stories I read. In fact, I had forgotten his name, and decided to Google it. (Trust me -- you do *not* want to Google "Lois Lane's cat.") It actually took me several minutes to discover his name, and I am usually pretty good at finding information online. Apparently, he is a lot more obscure a character than I had thought. huh

Thanks for your feedback. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
What a delightful story! Thanks a lot...

I knew nothing about Schrödinger's cat, and thanks to you, I looked it up... but I must confess the explanation went very far above my head!

I liked your reference to Elroy very much. I remembered him from the comics and it was really nice to see him crop up into LnC:TNAOS. Did you know that C. J. Cherryh also included him in her Lois & Clark: A Superman Novel?

With all the cats Superman rescued from trees or other dangers, it's about time one of them reciprocated!

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Millefeuilles,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my story.

I must admit that although part of the reason I glossed over a lot of the details of Schrödinger's thought experiment had to do with story pacing, the other part was that had I written much more than I had, I would have been trying to write about something I don't fully understand myself. Physics was never my forte.

I had read the show's companion novels a few years ago. I'll be honest; they hadn't left any memorable impression on me. But now that you mention it, I do recall having seen Elroy in one of the novels and wondering whether the author had actually ever watched the show, or whether she had based her writing on what she knew of the comics.

With all the cats Superman rescued from trees or other dangers, it's about time one of them reciprocated!
I love it! smile

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Lynn! Sorry this is so late blush I just realized that I hadn’t actually left FDK yet. I guess one doesn’t really know, until one opens the thread to check and make sure, huh?

Clark asked, “Have you thought about getting another cat?”
Has he *met* her office plants?

“I’m not. Really. I know you think you’ve seen ‘Mad Dog Lane,’ but I was ten times worse then.”
Oh dear. I guess Superman wouldn’t have stood a chance back then, huh?
CLARK: [Linked Image] To be fair, Superman would have still had all his oats back then, so getting ‘interviewed’ by a fresh-out-of-college Lois Lane would have been much harder to decline than it is these days.

“You don’t fight fair, do you? How could I refuse you?”
Superman plus cat, huh? Poor dear.

Clark nodded toward the feline. “You haven’t named him yet, have you?”

“No, but I was thinking of calling him ‘Goldie.’ Why?”
You know, if it were a female, ‘Cat’ would have been an interesting choice.

“It’s important to me, Lois. I want to call him, ‘Schrödinger.’”

Lois laughed. “What kind of name is that for a cat?”
A geek one?

“Huh? How can anything be both alive and dead at the same time? And don’t you dare say a word about zombies!”
Huh, does that mean the zombie apocalypse is actually related to the first practical application of quantum entanglement? Maybe even beaming? What if, when beaming, the original becomes a zombie and is left to wander around, aimlessly?

“Lois, I don’t know what the future holds; no one does, not even Superman.
HERB: [Linked Image] I recommend holding off on ‘exploring the future’ until resolving past issues, lest Miss Lane dies of a sudden illness.
TEMPUS: The future, huh? [Linked Image]

Whatever else we may or may not be to each other, I will always be your friend.”
Awww…

Cute one!

wave MIchael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
HI Michael,

No apologies necessary. I love getting delayed feedback -- it's always a delightful surprise.

Has he *met* her office plants?
Good point. But as far as we know, she is able to take care of fish. Maybe it's just plants that she kills.

Oh dear. I guess Superman wouldn’t have stood a chance back then, huh?
Kryptonite ain't got nuthin on her.

You know, if it were a female, ‘Cat’ would have been an interesting choice.
Nah. This feline was too sweet for Lois to have named "her" that.

If I tried to answer that, I'd just entangle myself. peep

HERB
Jut goes to show that even Clark is wrong sometimes. I guess he is sort of right, though, in that he doesn't know that in his own future, he will meet time travellers.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I love getting delayed feedback -- it's always a delightful surprise.
I know, right?

Good point. But as far as we know, she is able to take care of fish. Maybe it's just plants that she kills.
True that. They don't fight back.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Quote:
True that. They don't fight back.

The fish or the plants? Hmmm... There may be some silly fanfic if either fought back...

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard