Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Capes Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Not that I'm complaining. But wow. What a turn. Weaving to erase memories? Backstories? It's like a heavenly CIA.

Enjoyed how Clark trusted Lois enough to let her do what she needed to do without a lot of explanation.

Favourite part:

Deep in the Enclave a bell began to toll for the first time since 1702.

A knell for an angel passing beyond the point of no return.
Love the bell. Love the reference. Love it all. I love how you've wrapped all these little bits of history and other traditions of the holiday and the show into this story. It's makes it all so much richer.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh, wow. I'm close to sniffling here. It's a very sweet goodbye/not goodbye. The bell also got to me. But, it means that Lois and Clark will be together on Earth once again. And that's the happy part. Can't wait to read the rest!

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Okay, Chris, how about being nice and posting the rest this afternoon? I'm stuck at home with some kind of intestinal bug (which, I suppose, was predictable) and if I'm over it by tomorrow, I'm not going to have time to get to the boards. I'll be too busy cooking side dishes for our Christmas Day dinner. How about an early Christmas gift to all of us? Hmmm?

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Kerth
Kerth
Oh, how beautiful! Only one part left for Lois and Clark to meet and fall in love? I can't wait! love Susan

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Uh... wow, Chris.

I'll be back to post proper FDK later, but...

Why is it your Lois and Clark interactions always choke me up?

Like here...

She'd seen how he was treated on Earth. How could she tell him that he'd been treated as badly up above? It was bad enough that he was isolated from the rest of the world. How would he feel if he knew that he had been set apart by heaven as well?
/me stares off into the distance, trying not to cry... again.

Dave

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Argh, Chris! How can you leave us here? Up until now, I've been more than happy just immersing myself in your story as a magically crafted and wondrous place. I have let my mind drift to all the fantastic cultural references here, the stuff that invites you to contemplate Life, God, the Universe and Everything and the miracle of Lois and Clark.

But now there is an irresistible sense of urgency. The beautifully solemn cliffhanger ending - don't ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for you, Lois, not because you are dead but because now you are not - makes me extremely impatient to read the final part of this. The incredible odds against succeeding as a Guardian Angel is painfully obvious in Lois's words to Clark:
"We'll have a chance to meet. We might even fall in love. But I can only come back if nobody knows who -- what -- I've been. And that includes you. And me. Only by forgetting the past do we stand a chance of having a future."
How heartbreaking is this? How totally frightening? Imagine jumping in without having even the slightest chance of checking the water level first, without even knowing if you can swim or not. Imagine getting back to the Earth knowing that you were murdered there and you've been dead for five years. You will wake up having no money, no job and no home, and you will suffer from the whopper kind of amnesia that will seriously hamper your ability to function in that world at all. You were sent there to do a job that your angel colleagues did their very damndest to remove the very last shred of your recollection of.

But this is the human condition. We all rush headlong and blindly into the future, knowing nothing whatsoever about what it will bring. What it will throw in our faces.

All we have is our faith. Our trust. Our trust in ourselves, and, I guess, our trust in love. I'm a space buff, you know, and I like to contemplate this image of our lovely little blue planet rushing headlong into the blackness of space, doing about 942,000 kilometers an hour in its orbit around the Sun. And being full of itty bitty feisty little human beings optimistically going about their daily lives and dreaming beautiful dreams about tomorrow.

And as long as we are alive, things could be so, so much worse!

And Lois is alive now. Amnesiac, homeless, unemployed, destitute, yes, but alive. And even though she will never know it, and whether or not it will ever do her any good, she is an angel. A Guardian angel. Clark's Guardian angel. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Chris, for making me see that she is! And not only here, but in all other Lois and Clark stories as well, even though she will never know it.

And she is his soulmate, too. Of course she will find him. Against impossible, impossible odds.

And talking about angels, and seeing that it's Christmas... Well, Lois isn't the only person who is an angel and doesn't know it. And not being a religious person, I don't mean that in a religious sense at all - though nothing prevents a religious person from being that sort of angel, of course! You know what I mean. And if you just give the matter a few moments' thought, I'm sure you can easily come up with the names of a few angels you know yourself! It's not a bad idea to tell these angels now and again that you see the things they do for others. And now is as good a time as any other to tell them!

I so want to read the last part of your wonderful story now, Chris, but at the same time, I don't want it to end at all!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. hyper

Get back here! hyper

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I love angel Lois, who is able to mix the poignant:

But she prayed that her heart would remember. They would see each other again, and it would be as though they'd known each other across a thousand lifetimes.
with the humorous:

"So, basically, you're telling me that you're sending me back to Earth, with a medical history that will put my insurance premiums through the roof. Is that right?"
So much like the Lois I've always known.

And Kilmartin made me want to sob a little, too, with his "You won't miss me at all. But I'll miss you enough for both of us." Just heartbreaking.

Lois looked at Kilmartin. "Will you...? Would you mind...? Stay with me."

And then Kilmartin did manage to smile, at least a little. "You couldn’t tear me away," he said, his voice catching.
whinging

And yet I know that Lois is going home.

Just beautiful, Chris.

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wonderful! It is a very sweet and lovely christmas story. Have a Merry! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard