Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Hope people liked that one (I do still plan to edit Celebrate too, though some of the same themes are in this one too.) And looking over the series... I swear I'm not *trying* to make all the titles start with C, but I half feel like I should rename 'A Simpler Scratch' 'Cat Scratch' or something...

Humans actually can echolocate:
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...without-using-their-eyes-1916013/?no-ist
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/11/how-blind-people-use-batlike-sonar

And I'm pretty sure the son of one of the researchers working with Kish was managing to teach himself to echolocate with a blindfold =)

The title comes from the two types of clicks used for hunting by Sperm Whales:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sperm_whale

Aside to Mike: I'm thinking I should make a consolidated ToC, should I just do it and you can remove the single ones?

Sara "Lieta"
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sara,

I will begin assembling them into one TOC called Clark's Secret Abilities unless you have a more preferred name (I saw that mentioned in the Creaks and Clicks story. As I move them into this TOC I will delete the individual ones. This might take me a couple of days or up to a week since this is Memorial Day weekend and we have a thing we do each Memorial Day weekend...

It should not take me long if I can devote some time to it but that seems to be in short supply recently...

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Sara,

Nice!

Out of curiosity, is the lack of dizziness another thing you borrowed from your brother? My son never seems to get dizzy, no matter how long or how quickly he spins.

The echolocation makes perfect sense. After all, if some humans can do it in RL (and it always amazes me that such a feat is humanly possible), then certainly Clark could.

I loved how Martha and Jonathan were both being so supportive while still doing what they could to keep Clark safe. He could not have had better adoptive parents.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Interesting new ability. It really fits well in Clark's wheelhouse. I agree with him that carnival games aren't very fair, which is why we don't play them in my family. I've never heard of carnival games where they spin you around though. Kind of a twist on pin-the-tail on the donkey / hitting a pinata.

Poor Clark. He's only 9 and his abilities are already stressing him out. He hates to be different. He's a lot like other kids his age. I'm glad Martha and Jonathan are working hard to let him know it's okay for him to be unique as long as he doesn't show off.

I like the idea of Clark saving his class from the tunnel cave-in. You should consider reworking that plot into its own story. I wonder how he explained it to the other kids.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Daniel Kish is amazing =) I think they've done scans and part of his visual cortex is rewired to interpret his echolocation (if I'm remembering the TV I saw a story about him in correctly). Watching him navigate a maze or ride his bike is so cool.

I know Echolocation has been done a in conjunction with The Eyes Have It (ML's Blind (Super)Man's Bluff off the top of my head though I'm pretty sure there's more) and Nan used it in the Dagger series' Blind Man's Bluff... and I never realized how close those titles were before... But, I'm playing with a way to try and explain the dratted X-Ray vision... I'm thinking it could be a combination of tricks Clark is using subconsciously in sync without realizing it and he just thought it was a new ability... the plan so far is a combination echolocation, seeing in different wavelengths (problem here is the *source* of the light more so than his ability to see it, which is why I have problems with the X-Ray idea in the first place... no X-Ray source), and some subconscious 'borrowing' of other people's eyes telepathically... not all hammered out yet though.

I have to admit the idea for the spinning games came more from the Double Dare and Wild and Crazy Kids shows I used to watch as a kid, Virginia... or rather my brother used to love to watch while I was doing homework.

Speaking of Nickelodeon, Lynn, I'm not sure about my brother and dizziness but he does seem to have a great sense of balance if not better proprioception than I do... I will never forget the time he decided to play Guts by jumping off an 2-3 ft high brick ledge off the back of the house... in roller blades. (I broke my arm doing the same thing *not* on skates a year or two before... though in my defense it was because my shoe caught on an elevated sprinkler head, heh, green stick fracture and broken sprinkler... >.> Ah good old Keds.) He skis and skates great too. But then, that sense of self is balanced by a complete lack of spacial awareness for anything not a part of his body... you have to really watch him when he's carrying his guitar or any bag/luggage, he *will* bang it into the doorway, wall, car, you...

The *only* time I can remember him using the word dizzy is the one time he got tipsy. (He hated *that* so much he won't touch alcohol at all now.) But it's hard to know if it's that he doesn't feel or if he just doesn't ever do things that would make him dizzy. He does not seem prone to motion sickness like I am either, heh. My thoughts for Clark is that he has a greater decree of sensory control that we do. When he hears the fluid in his semicircular canals moving erratically (that was the sloshing) he is able to block out that equilibrioception feedback and instead focus on other senses. It might be interesting to play with that thought if someone (Lois?) pushes him while he's doing it, would he be able to keep his balance? He could even have something like a Statocyst (a balance detecting organ in marine invertebrates or a gravity detecting system in plants, though these are more just up/down orientation than what we have) as a backup system...

For the mine incident, I was more thinking a group of kids going off and exploring on their own... I can remember exploring the pasture around my uncle's place as a kid with my cousins. We of course had to go poke around the cave entrances that littler the limestone out there. We would toss things down them and try and head them land (none of them are big enough for a kid to fit down). That was actually my original thought: an actual cave, but I couldn't verify that that exists in the area of Kansas Dandello so helpfully maps on her website... but I could verify coal mines! The other advantage of a group of 10 year olds exploring is Clark doesn't have to be as careful and can more easily assume leadership once they were trapped...

As for Martha and Jonathon, that conflict was supposed to be the focal point of Celebrate, but I think I was too rushed writing it up.

Wow that ended up long...

Sara "Lieta"
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I really liked this, Sara...

Like Lynn pointed out, if people can learn the ability of echolocation, Clark should be able to, and very much excel at the concept. This power makes a lot of sense--and I haven't read either of the above stories so this was a new idea to me.

Argh--those carnival games! dizzy wallbash cat. Go for it, Clark!!!
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Thanks Laura =)

There are at least 5 more of these strictly with powers... others I'll have to think about, it might be fun to also do some with how the 'Superman' side of Clark matures... I also kind of did flying in other fics, so I have to decide if I want to redo that or not.

Sara "Lieta"
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just read your link. Cute story clap grin notworthy

Laura

L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Actually each word links to a separate fic, lol, not sure if I was being lazy or thought I was being clever, but 'other' goes to the first one and 'fics' goes to the sequel.

Sara "Lieta"
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
LOL--oh! smile. I totally missed that!...Well now I've read both of them.

Great job--really enjoyed (them both wink )
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 05/26/16 11:59 AM.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Sara!

I guess I’m kinda late to the party but it turns out, 2016 was a bit hectic dizzy

(though he usually took the voucher that allowed him to save up for a better prize at the end).
Oh, *that* explains how he was able to not claim easy Lois prizes as Superman, during PML and what not, always trying to get a voucher for later instead.

LOIS: Did he just call me ‘easy’?

Clark was kept going to the few games kids as a whole normally avoided. These were games which had a simple objective,
Climb up a tree to kiss the corn princess?

"Y'know, Mizz Kent. If I didn't know better, I'd swear that boy weren't spinning at all," said the man running the latest booth with a shake of his head.
Maybe he’s gotten faster so he doesn’t so much as spin as he is going in slow, wide circles?

I also figured out how to ignore the sloshing when I get spun around."
laugh

Jonathon patted him on the shoulder. "No, son, we just feel dizzy." He mussed the boy's hair. "Maybe it's your brain bumping around in your head."

"No, that's much louder, Dad. I head *that* when you fell off the ladder last month," Clark corrected matter of factly.
shock rotflol So, does that mean Ralph’s head sounds like a baby rattle when he moves?

It was the next spring that Clark managed to lead his friends out of an abandoned coal mine where they'd gotten trapped by a cave-in. Using mostly his ability to echolocate and see the faintest of light to pick the right tunnel to explore.
*sigh* So much for not making a fuss. Although he got lucky, where he a couple of years older, a high school paper from Metropolis might have sent one of their writers to do a piece on him.

LOIS: Yes, lucky indeed. Wouldn’t want to be caught dead in Midgettown or whatever, interviewing a corn plucking teenager on how he avoided a tipping cow or something.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard