Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Capes Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
How you managed to make this both convincing and interesting is incredible. And you never cross the wrong lines (IMO).

Haven't you wondered why there are so many great tragedies in human literature and art? Many have been inspired by Guardianships gone awry
Interesting theories abound, but I like how you make them all so plausible within this context.

just because someone is chosen for an angel once, that they will be chosen again
Do I hear "sequel" here? Okay, maybe not.

I mean, I've never been naturally angelic
LOL.

His opinion is not unlike your own
Lois and God. Unbeatable team, that. rotflol

It would be as close to heaven on earth as it was possible to get.
Nice line.

the path to peace lay in the heart and soul of a mortal
Another nice line.

Have I mentioned that I really like this story smile

**~~**

Swoosh --->
SNL Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow! hail

This story just gets better and better.

More please?

SNL

Kerth
Kerth
Thanks for this part! I don't share Kilmartin's problem with Guardianship if it means Alt-L&C have a chance to be together. smile And with only two parts left, I'm assuming that Lois won't have any problem meeting and falling in love with Clark. Let the WAFFYness begin! smile1 Susan

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yayayayayay! Sounds great! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. clap

More ASAP, please.

MAF clap

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Chris, this is wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful!

So that's what's so horrible about being a Guardian angel, eh? That you lose heaven, possibly forever? That you are returned to the earth, becoming Flesh again? That your memory is wiped? Now that memory thing would be a great inconvenience, if you ask me. The only task imaginable for a Guardian angel would be to guard his or her Guardee ( LOVE that word!!!! goofy ) but how can you do that if you don't remember anything?

The thing I've loved most of all about Lois being an angel is that she has been able to Watch Clark Kent in an objective, impersonal way, without getting all her defences up and getting herself all tied up in knots. So she has been able to immediately see and fully realize what an incredibly wonderful person Clark is. If she is now going to return to the Earth with her memory wiped, will she react to Clark in her most tiresome and contemptuous Lois Lane fashion all over again?

And how will she even get to meet him? Will it be the job of some other angel - perhaps Kilmartin? -to make sure that that happens?

And how the heck will she be able to be his Guardian angel, if she doesn't even know that that is what she is???

But maybe the simple fact that she always comes to him in the end, gives him her heart, makes him belong, holds him in the warmth of her embrace, envelops him in her love - maybe that's it? The things she's been doing over and over again in hundreds and hundreds of Lois and Clark stories that we've been reading on these boards or in the Archive? Maybe, in each and every one of these stories, Lois has actually been Clark's Guardian Angel, even though neither she nor we have had a clue about it?

Wow. Chris, have you explained it all to us? The magic, the miracle of Lois and Clark? The fact that he is the most wonderful, amazing man on this Earth, and she is his Guardian Angel? Who gives him the love that he must have, to be able to give himself to the world?

She gives him phileo. The love between a man and a woman. So that he can give the world his love, which is damn near agape, divine love, if you ask me.

Well, Superman has always been like a god, so powerful and kind. But Clark Kent, who is just a man, can't do without phileo if he is to keep the superhero going.

And Lois has given it to him, all along.

Wow.

I'm so bowled over by this marvellous revelation of what Lois and Clark are all about, that I find it very hard to concentrate on the wonderful and/or intriguing details of a more minor art that this story is so full of. Like when Lois considers her own angelhood:
"I often wonder why I was chosen at all," Lois muttered. "I mean, I've never been naturally angelic."
Well, me splutters into my coffee and splashes it all over my keyboard! LOL!!! rotflol Couldn't agree more, Lois, you are not naturally angelic! And yet... and yet, that is precisely what you are. You are Superman's destiny, his Guardian angel.

Being Superman's - and Clark's - Guardian angel is Lois's destiny. Loving him, and being loved by him, is her destiny. I love the way Chris makes her understand this:
She knew what she was doing. She'd seen heaven, yes, but she'd also seen Clark. She'd seen what he'd needed. She'd felt the echoes of human desire coursing through her body, remembered how it felt to feel attraction, to want to love and be loved.

She knew that with Clark she could give and have it all. It would be as close to heaven on earth as it was possible to get.

Plus she'd be doing something good. Something wonderful. Something... Noble. Or it would have been noble if she was giving more than she would receive.
Yes, Lois. It is a noble thing that you will fill Superman with agape, when you give him phileo. But when he gives you phileo in return, it will feel like heaven on the earth.

There is so much more to say here, but I shouldn't let my comment be as long as the part of your story that I'm commenting on. So I just have to ask you two questions. Who was that last Guardian Angel before Lois, the one who was made Guardian Angel in 1702? And all those tragedies in human literature and art that were inspired by Guardianships gone awry - could you give us a few examples of those, please?

Wow, Chris. For all my babbling, I'm speechless at the beauty of this. It is fabulous!!!

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
"Do you really want to risk an eternity of peace for the merest possibility of a life with Clark Kent?"

"Yes."
Ah, fantastic. I really loved this chapter, so exciting, and emotional! I loved how Lois was considering running away from heaven.

This is really, really good, Chris. I am astounded. I will miss Kilmartin, though, if we'll no longer get to see him. wink

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
Top Banana
Top Banana
Fascinating!

I'm not a believer in God, but honestly, that doesn't matter a jot. This story is just so incredibly compelling and...well...fascinating. There's no other word for it.

Chris, I'm speechless.

Yvonne

Merriwether
Merriwether
Oooh! I figured that bond would come in handy! And I love that Lois jumped in so quickly to become Clark's Guardian. I wonder how they're going to send her back. can't wait to read the rest!

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yeah, I totally must agree with all previous posts! This is a beautiful story and with each chapter I grow to love it more.

But there's one thing which struck me as odd. It's actually no wonder that the system of "Guardian Angels" doesn't work out usually when these Angels don't know that they're actually Angels supposed to be doing a certain task. Secondly, I see Kilmartin's point of view as a purely selfish one. I get the feeling that Angels seem to be pretty comfortable with their safe position in heaven, just doing what they're told and enjoying eternal "life" (or to be more accurate: eternal existence). Then there's the possibility of losing and not regaining that eternal life and they chicken out wink

J
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
J
Yay, wonderful part! thumbsup

Can't wait to see Lois in her new role as a guardian. wave

G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Absolutely compelling.

This whole angel business is fascinating.

And what Ann said.

gerry

Merriwether
Merriwether
I have been following along - sorry I have not posted.

Very interesting - enjoying it very much.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Columnist
Columnist
I wish I had more time to gush, but I don't so I will just say I love this!

Can't wait for more!

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Chris

WOW! This is excellent. smile1 I can't wait to find out what happens next. I love this story.

Tricia cool

Kerth
Kerth
Ohh Yay!! drool

Jose hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I think I'm getting repetitive with my comments, but, hey...

Wow.

And thank you.

Capes: no, I have no plans for a sequel!

Ann: what can I say!

I wish I had thought my story through as carefully as you have! Certainly, I did think about the differences of agape and phileo, but I hadn't thought about Clark being a great example of someone filled with agape.

The way you put it does, however, make perfect sense to me. I'm in awe. smile And I'm so, so happy that you approve of what I did with this! laugh

The last guardian angel before Lois? Um. Actually, I have absolutely no idea. I just liked the sound of the number 1702 for some reason.

As for examples of Guardianships gone awry... I talked to several people on IRC for this one, and they gave me some suggestions. (I asked for examples of unrequited love.) However, none of them quite worked for me, which is why I ended up keeping this very vague in the story.

The best example I could come up with myself was Rebecca in Walter Scott's Ivanhoe.

I don't know how many people are familiar with the story, but, basically, Ivanhoe comes back from the crusades. He is engaged to the Saxon lady Rowena, and, at the end of the story, he ends up marrying her.

However, along the way, he meets and is helped by the Jewess Rebecca. From what I can remember (and it is a while since I read the book), Rebecca obviously loves Ivanhoe. He possibly / probably has feelings for her, too. However, he ends up with Rowena (presumably following the religious conventions / rules of the day), and Rebecca goes out into the world to do good deeds. The only reason she doesn't end up in a convent is that she's Jewish and, according to the book at least, Jews don't have a direct equivalent.

Quite honestly, I liked Rebecca far more than I liked Rowena, and I wish that there had been some way for the two of them to end up together.

Interesting that several of you don't see what Kilmartin's / the angels' issues with Guardianship are. I think of it this way: imagine you have got to heaven. Isn't that supposed to be the ideal place for you to be? Why would anyone possibly want to give that up? Especially as in an awful lot of cases, Guardianship doesn't actually work. In other words, not only would the Guardian end up somewhere less desirable than heaven, but they will probably have a miserable life to boot.

Of course, it is always possible that Kilmartin and the rest don't know what romantic love feels like. Maybe they were either unlucky in love or just never lucky enough to experience it...

Yvonne:

I'm not a believer in God, but honestly, that doesn't matter a jot.
Did I ever suggest that I am? wink

To be honest, I suspect that, had I more conventional religious leanings than I do, I would not have been able to write this. And I did / do have concerns about how some people might react to what I've done here.

SNL, Susan, Laura, Maria, Incognito, Karen, Julia, Gerry, SuperRoo, Irene, Tricia and Jose, thank you all too. smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard