#269840 04/16/16 06:52 PM
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Feedback folder.

See, told you I was still writing :P

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Blogger
Blogger
What a sweet little piece!
I like Lois's thought processes here. I like that Lois assessed this part of the situation, because it really is the first thing she should be considering. If she had jumped in before checking the water level and then couldn't handle it, it would have been a disservice to them both. I love your ending.

"I really do believe that we're all put here on this earth, or whatever planet we're put on, to do better than we think we can. To be kind, helpful, generous, and forgiving."
"You know something, CK? She's a class act."
"I've always thought so."
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lois brings up some really good points here. I'm glad she stepped out of her own shoes long enough to realize how Clark must have felt at the end of S1. It takes a lot to realize that she may have tortured someone that she loves. She'd never inflict that pain on Clark now, but the decision is also partially would she knowingly inflict that pain upon herself -- even for both their own good.

I love how Lois comes to the conclusion that Clark WILL someday marry and it will be to someone else if she doesn't say 'yes'. Although, she doesn't state it outright, we all know this other woman would be someone not as worthy as Lois, or as strong. So, she would really be doing him and Superman (and therefore the world) a favor by marrying him. Right? wink The question is: does knowingly going into a marriage with a man she knows will not always be there for her end the same as if she went in blindly, as her mother had?

Then, again, Clark wouldn't be cheating on her with other women, so the comparisons aren't quite the same.

Another great introspective piece! clap

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Morning!

Originally Posted by AnnieL
If she had jumped in before checking the water level and then couldn't handle it, it would have been a disservice to them both.
Yup, very true. As awful as it sounds, sometimes just loving a person isn't enough. Clark's life is crazily complicated and stressful, and that's something Lois would have to be able to deal with. If she can't deal with it, realistically there's no future for them.

Originally Posted by AnnieL
I love your ending
Thanks! smile The story was going to continue past there, but when I read over it I realised that the extra bit made the story lose its impact. So I left it on a hopeful note smile

Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Then, again, Clark wouldn't be cheating on her with other women, so the comparisons aren't quite the same.
Actually, I tried to work in a line on that subject but ended up removing it as it didn't run smoothly. You're right, at least if Clark's spending nights away from his family it's not because he's having an affair smile

Originally Posted by VirginiaR
So, she would really be doing him and Superman (and therefore the world) a favor by marrying him. Right?
LOL, I like your way of looking at it!

Thanks to both of you for commenting smile
Writing this seems to have woken up my muse. This is not good timing- it's the middle of my uni semester. (Why couldn't this have happened during the Easter break?)

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Kerth
Kerth
Very realistic thought process. Yes, life as Superman's wife would have more than its fair share of challenges, but it's worth the sacrifice to be with Clark. Once she realizes that she's in love with Clark, there's really no question, truly no choice to make.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
What a great read while grabbing a quick--LATE--lunch crazy (ok..maybe we'll just call it dinner?) here a moment ago.

Why happens if I say no? It'd break his heart, and mine. And then what? It would take time, but Clark wouldn't stay single. He's that rare combination of gorgeous and a wonderful guy; women throw themselves at him- the names Toni Taylor, Cat Grant, Linda King and Mayson Drake come to mind- and eventually he will find someone else.
Can I stand by and watch Clark marry another woman?

No.

The thought makes me feel like I've been kicked in the stomach, and for a few horrible moments I can't breathe. Is this how Clark felt when I was so determined to marry Lex?

I really like this part. Lois' acknowledgement of how really great of a guy Clark is. How truly lucky she is to have him--and how easily he could draw another woman's attention (though, knowing Clark, he has ever only wanted Lois). And I love Lois coming full-circle to last year. Realizing just how much hurt Clark was in during her wedding-fiasco to Luthor.

Agree with Susan--once she knows that she truly loves Clark, there really isn't a decision. They love each other, they both want to be together. Even though it's scary (and uncertain) Lois deep down knows the path she is going to take.

Awesome job!
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 05/04/16 06:11 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I like Lois' thought process here. Marrying Super Clark is very different from marrying ordinary human Clark. I've always thought that it wasn't fair for Clark to propose without telling her (though it made quite a cliffhanger - I was antsy about it all summer that year). I understand his reluctance to tell anyone at all ever, but asking, "Will you marry me?" is really a false question when the "me" isn't who she thinks he is.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
This was really interesting. I think it's good for Lois to acknowledge the implications of marrying Superman, and that it's no ordinary situation she's getting herself into. The contrast between her love for Clark and her apprehension at marrying Superman is as intriguing as it is utterly ironic! I just love anything that explores the complications of being Superman - people think Superman has it easy because he's so powerful, when it's certainly not that simple, considering he's a person who has a life and emotions too.

N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Well, this was a nice surprise!

mrsMxyzptlk- yes, I agree with you. It wasn't fair of Clark to propose to Lois, knowing that if she said yes' he was going to dump this massive thing on her. And while I do get him wanting to be loved for himself, he is both Clark and Superman. She has to know that. (Btw- love your signature)

TaliaJoy- thank you! Yes, being Superman definitely isn't all wine and roses. And it's a huge decision for Lois.

Thank you both for commenting smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard