Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#269518 03/26/16 06:47 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
After watching all the craziness of the Silly Season (a presidential election year), I wondered what would happen if one (or more) of our favorite LnC characters ran for president. It could be a major character, a minor one, or both.

Why do they decide to run, and what do their challengers have to say about it? Does presidential candidate Lois Lane have to contend with photos of herself in a more-than-friendly embrace with Superman? Does anyone question whether frontrunner Clark Kent is qualified to run, based on the fact that he was a foundling and therefore might not be American born? Does anyone take note of the fact that someone who looks uncannily like dark horse candidate Tempus was photographed in the 19th century and spent time in an insane asylum? Do people latch onto the anti-alien speeches of military hero Jason Trask?

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Considering what both President Barack Obama and presidential candidate Ted Cruz went through in real life, I think it is a given nowadays that any candidate for president must be prepared to show their birth certificates. I really can't see Clark risking it to run.

In fact, the two regulars of the show I see most likely running would be Perry (since a version of him did get involved in politics on the show) and Martha. I would *love* to see a president Martha Kent. (Actually, IIRC, there actually was a fanfic with her as president.) I could see season-one-or-two Lois running, but I don't think she would risk Clark's secret by throwing her hat into the ring when she was engaged or married to him. Come to think of it, that might keep Martha from running, as well.

OK... Perry gets my vote, then.

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Considering what both President Barack Obama and presidential candidate Ted Cruz went through in real life, I think it is a given nowadays that any candidate for president must be prepared to show their birth certificates. I really can't see Clark risking it to run.

In fact, the two regulars of the show I see most likely running would be Perry (since a version of him did get involved in politics on the show) and Martha. I would *love* to see a president Martha Kent. (Actually, IIRC, there actually was a fanfic with her as president.) I could see season-one-or-two Lois running, but I don't think she would risk Clark's secret by throwing her hat into the ring when she was engaged or married to him. Come to think of it, that might keep Martha from running, as well.

OK... Perry gets my vote, then.

Joy,
Lynn

Lynn,

You are correct. Pam Jernigan wrote a series on Martha being President and of course its ramifications on Lois, Clark, and of course Superman. The stories were "President Kent", "All the President's Men", and "Presidential Party"

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Thank you, Mike. That series is what I was vaguely remembering.

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I could definitely see alt-Perry running for President, and in the comics, Luthor actually became POTUS. One character who could be very entertaining as a presidential candidate would Mayor Berkowitz (as played by Sonny Bono). Bono's performance in Man of Steel Bars was very self-referential (all those lines from his songs), so I could see him as an entertainer turned politician (which, coincidentally, was what Bono did in real life). By the 90's, it was established that an actor could become President, so another type of entertainer wouldn't be out of the question. (Heck, one of the frontrunners now is a reality TV star.)

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Thank you, Mike. That series is what I was vaguely remembering.

Joy,
Lynn

That was a great series. I really enjoyed it.

This thread inspired an idea for a trilogy that takes place over several years. Story 1: Lex Luthor and Jonathon Kent (funded by Bruce Wayne) run for President. Luthor wins at the end. Story 2: Luthor is president, what does he do, how does he take advantage of the power and make Nixon seem like a boy scout? It ends on a cliffhanger of Luthor declaring Superman and Batman criminals, killing Alfred Pennyworth, Jimmy Olsen & Martha Kent and revealing their true identities to the world. Story 3 is basically the two heroes trying to expose Luthor's criminal activity and the aftermath of his Presidency.

Stupid idea, or should I start writing it?

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hello Suggs_With_A_Box,

Not at all a stupid idea. In fact, something fairly similar was done in the comics and was made into an animated movie.

Joy,
Lynn

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Hello Suggs_With_A_Box,

Not at all a stupid idea. In fact, something fairly similar was done in the comics and was made into animated movie.

Joy,
Lynn

In that case, it's already been done by people much more suited to the task than myself. I'll leave it. Thanks Lynn.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Suggs, please don't let my previous post discourage you. They had one take on the story; you undoubtedly would have another. For one thing, AFAIK, this story has not been done in the L&C universe, and the characters therefore are going to be somewhat different and will certainly act differently. (Our Lex, for example, is much more suave in public than comics or animated movie Lex.) Also, you would probably be writing from a different POV than was presented already.

Please do write up the story. I'd love to read it. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I have been meaning to read that series for years! Time to get started.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Kerth
Kerth
Ooh...

As a not-so-aside, does anybody on here watch House of Cards? Might be an interesting take. I mean, Kevin Spacey *is* a Lex Luthor, which might make an easy transition, but you could replace them with anybody. Lois as Claire Underwood, Clark as Frank? A dark Perry maybe, even?

I tried a story once where I actually had *Superman* running for office, not Clark (I think it was just for Mayor or Senate or something, though). It never panned out though, as it spiraled and fractured off into another plotline.

(Also, if you don't watch House of Cards, please be forewarned if you do pick it up that I do a lot of fast-forwarding. A lot. Especially season 1. Some shows are rated MA for a reason. But seasons 2-4 make it SOOOO worth it.)

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Kerth
Kerth
My thought on the Luthor presidency some time ago was that the ruthless businessman version might actually be a very good president in some circumstances - for example, in the Stargate universe he'd probably enjoy ordering ruthless action against the Go'uld etc.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Suggs, please don't let my previous post discourage you. They had one take on the story; you undoubtedly would have another. For one thing, AFAIK, this story has not been done in the L&C universe, and the characters therefore are going to be somewhat different and will certainly act differently. (Our Lex, for example, is much more suave in public than comics or animated movie Lex.) Also, you would probably be writing from a different POV than was presented already.

Please do write up the story. I'd love to read it. smile

Joy,
Lynn

I'll give it a go, see if I can come up with anything, although I'm not sure if when I write Superman stuff which version it's more like. If I don't come up with anything good, the results will never be seen. If I do.....

Last edited by Suggs_With_A_Box; 03/30/16 11:11 AM.
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
I'm working on the first story of my proposed trilogy now. Just a few sentences in, but I thought I'd let you know Lynn, since you seemed interested.....

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Thanks. I'm glad you are deciding to write this story and I look forward to reading it. If it is a multi-parter, though, I will probably wait until it has all been posted to do so. (I'm taking this approach with nearly all multi-parters these days; I've been burned too often getting interested in a story only to have the end never be posted.)

Joy,
Lynn

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Not gonna be a trilogy. Shortening it to one story to save time.

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
All done.

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
I've submitted the story to Labby for the Archive. For anyone interested in reading it, it's called "Election Day". Terrible title I know, but I couldn't think of anything good that didn't give away spoilers. I don't know how long it'll take before it gets uploaded though, if at all....

Last edited by Suggs_With_A_Box; 03/30/16 07:28 PM.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
You're not going to post it on the forums?

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted by Annie B.
You're not going to post it on the forums?
Yeah, I will.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard