Hi FoLCs!

This is Kerth Quiz #6 - Best Revelation

Instructions are blatantly copied/linked from last year’s Kerth Quizzes (or even further back than that).

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY! All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best Revelation Category, but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are other stories which qualify for this category, but this quiz only covers 10 randomly chosen ones.

Recommendations for other eligible stories are *very* welcome and encouraged!

QUIZ RULES: Two points for getting the story and author from the quote; one point for getting it from the excerpt. Specify which is which, or you'll automatically get one point instead of two. (Also, don't forget to mention which number you're answering.) Open hard drive and archive, *don't* forget to snip the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler space when you post in the replies thread. Plus, shiny gold stars for those who recognize their own stories (which, sadly, is harder than it looks, but mostly in the Epic and Long Story Categories though).

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Tuesday, February 2, 2016, by 11:59 p.m (Pacific Time Zone).

Please post your answers HERE .

Good luck!
Susan

B

E

S

T

R
E
V
E
L
A
T
I
O
N

QUOTE #1:
I saw through the disguise.
Tonight, of all nights.
The night I asked him to kill me.

QUOTE #2:
Today was the day Mary Frances not only made him smile but also blush.

QUOTE #3:
Still holding eye contact, he said “I tried to take off, but all I could manage was a sort of jump. When I realised I couldn’t save him, I said ‘I can’t’. He hit the ground a moment or two later.”

QUOTE #4:
Then again, if Superman were going to live a regular life undercover in Metropolis, he certainly wouldn’t pick a harpy for a girlfriend. Would he?

QUOTE #5:
God, I hope I get it.

QUOTE #6:
All I can do is vow to capture the men responsible for Clark’s death.

QUOTE #7:
Ya seen a angel, ya ain’t never gonna forget.

QUOTE #8:
I didn’t print the Clark Kent is Superman story.

QUOTE #9:
One thing I don’t get about him, though… Why he puts up with that Lane dame. Sure, she’s hot, but what a b***! If she’s Mad Dog Lane, he’s Puppy Dog Kent around her. He could do so much better.

QUOTE #10:
Superman might be a celebrity to the world but inside the confessional room, he was no different from any other man.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

EXCERPT #1:
Still, I’m glad that he was able to do what he needed to do, without having something else to worry about. I’m even more glad that my plan worked. Clark’s parents are safe and I am alive and, aside from a case of the sniffles, I’m no worse for my experience. I’m relieved too. Relieved that I don’t have to see that gut-wrenching fear in his eyes as he worked so fervently to save his parents. Relieved that, when I look at him, I see joy and love in his expressions. Relieved that he is once more relaxed and less rigid in his posture, as though the entire weight of the cosmos has been lifted from his shoulders. Relieved that, despite my anger over his deception, that I find myself still loving him.
Relieved that I still look at him and see Clark, not Superman.

EXCERPT #2:

When the sisters reached the curb, Mary Frances turned back because she heard the commotion. She was startled to see the bus careening out of control. Before she could process that, she saw a dark haired young man in a suit and glasses step in front of the bus. Seeing him stop the bus with his bare hand was something she never forgot.

EXCERPT #3:

“Why didn’t I save him?” He cut her off, a little angered. Of all people, she should know what he stood for. “You’ve never asked me that before. I couldn’t save him. I could barely stand, let alone fly. I may hate Luthor, Lois, but I’d never stand by and let anyone die. That’s not how I work.” The words came out clipped and angry.

EXCERPT #4:
“Were you in the blue Dodge?” Frank said.

“Nah, the yellow New Troy Cab. Lieu thought it would be easier to blend in with the crowd and Alonzo wouldn’t know we were following him,” Marv explained. He lifted his beer and took a generous gulp. “Suddenly, my car starts backing up, all on its own, like it’s possessed. I slam on the brakes, but that does nothing to stop the motion, just burns the rubber. It does this for half a block, past Alonzo and Vinnie, who’s staring at me like I’m loco crazy for drawing Alonzo’s attention to my cab.”

EXCERPT #5:
I’m not going to tell anyone. Why would I? I wouldn’t want people butting into my business. It’s like being a star — just because I wear tights for a living and shine in the spotlight doesn’t mean I don’t want a little privacy at home. I’m sure it’s the same for him.

EXCERPT #6:
If Clark is Superman, it explains everything. The misshapen bullets. The missing blood. Even why Clark’s body hasn’t surfaced yet, although, to be honest, I would never expect a body to show up so quickly.

EXCERPT #7:

Here da secret: That ain’t the only time I done seen him. He be smilin’ down at me from signs on near every street, seem like — leastaways, his picture do. Him anna gal. He be smilin’ down from da sky, too. Him be wearin’ his wings den — dem red ones. Oh, mos’ folks think it jus’ a cape flappin’ b’hind ‘im, but dey also think he from anutha planet. I know betta: He from Heaven.

EXCERPT #8:
Did I have an obligation to the world, to hand them the man’s alter ego on a silver platter? Was it the story that I should write? Or did I owe it to Clark to prove himself, to see if he deserved some privacy, to protect him from the lion’s den that the world would become if they knew the truth? Was I supposed to withhold such earth-shattering news from the world at large? Kent was a newcomer to the Planet. The world had been loyal to the paper for ages.
EXCERPT #9:
How’d I meet him? I found some of his stuff in a dumpster. Some jerk had robbed him. Anyway, you see the stuff a man saves, you learn a lot about him. I probably know more about him than anyone, ‘cept maybe his folks. Course, I’m not talking. He helped me ‘n Denny, so I got his back, ya know?

EXCERPT #10:
He wouldn’t let on that he’d figured out the young man’s secret. And he was, without a doubt, one hundred percent sure that the superhero before him was none other than Clark Kent. He’d known from the first moment when Superman had come into the confessional room.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink