Hi FoLCs!

This is Kerth Quiz #4- Best Long/Epic Story (Over 201k)

Instructions are blatantly copied/linked from last year’s Kerth Quizzes (or even further back than that).

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY! All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best Long/Epic Story Category, but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are other stories which qualify for this category, but this quiz only covers 10 randomly chosen ones.

Recommendations for other eligible stories are *very* welcome and encouraged!

QUIZ RULES: Two points for getting the story and author from the quote; one point for getting it from the excerpt. Specify which is which, or you'll automatically get one point instead of two. (Also, don't forget to mention which number you're answering.) Open hard drive and archive, *don't* forget to snip the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler space when you post in the replies thread. Plus, shiny gold stars for those who recognize their own stories (which, sadly, is harder than it looks, but mostly in the Epic and Long Story Categories though).

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Monday, January 25, 2016, by 11:59 p.m (Pacific Time Zone).

Please post your answers HERE .

Good luck!
Susan

L
O
N
G

E

P

I

C

S

T

O

R

I

E

S

QUOTE #1:
“May I introduce to those present, Bernard and Abrihet Klein!”

QUOTE #2:
“A trillion to one chance of ever having a child,” he said, more to himself than to the doctor. “That’s what you said.”

QUOTE #3:
“Before we proceed… does the agency allow men to adopt little girls?”

QUOTE #4:
His hand slipped toward the front, the anticipation causing her breath to leave her in a rush. Just as he moved down, toward the goal they both craved…
THE
DAMN
PHONE
RANG!

QUOTE #5:
“Superman. Andrea. Je vous déclare maintenant mari et femme. Vous pouvez présenter la mariée au monde.”

QUOTE #6:
“My best guess is that not only is Clark’s aura sustaining Lois’ liver and preventing further damage, but it’s keeping it from healing on its own.”

QUOTE #7:
“Why?” he asks, almost frantically, urgently, his calmness (his patience and understanding and avoidance) shattering like ice against concrete. “Why didn’t you tell me you knew? Why didn’t you warn me you were writing the article?”

QUOTE #8:
Lois looked around at the ruined building and asked, "I guess we could write the articles, but there are no printing presses."

QUOTE #9:
Herb smiled at this response, Lois was anxious to hear his story, unlike his computer assistant. He began, "Well, for one thing this Lois was not born and raised in Metropolis! She was a Canadian."

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

EXCERPT #1:
As of yesterday Jor-El had changed his status within Kryptonian society. No longer a criminal, he was now officially the house steward to the Om Collective. Apparently reports his administrative efficiency was not lost on Jor-El. Vax-Om was greatly pleased, knowing the trust he had placed in the Terran had been rewarded. A man whose total personal wealth amounted to less than what Aykira Milan made the entire time she worked in Kansas City. Yet and still that Vax-Om’s trust was more valued than all the other high-powered executives and political leaders Lex had worked with in the past.

EXCERPT #2:
“So…that’s where we are now,” Clark said after a lapse into silence. “Lois is pregnant. We don’t know who the father is right now. She’s not sure if she wants to keep it anyway. If she does, I’ve sworn to be the only father the baby knows. She trusts you guys to be the calm and accepting ones. She’s afraid of her family’s reaction — except for her sister, who already knows. I want to marry Lois, but don’t want it to look like a shotgun proposal to her. And, she has no idea that I’m Superman because I have no idea how to break that news to her, nor do I want that fact to influence her decision at all.”

EXCERPT #3:
“Mr. Kent did indeed ask specifically about Carol. He said he became aware of her when a friend asked him to play Santa Clause at the Center where she’s housed. As his application reflects, Mr. Kent is also adopted and he felt a certain kinship with Carol. A mutual friend told him of Carol’s brief history and he was drawn to her. They’ve since met one another and Mr. Kent is completely enamored with the child. She, too, is fond of him.”

EXCERPT #4:
Mindy grinned wickedly and turned to walk to the end of the table. Another man had entered the room, carrying a large envelope. “But that is in the future. Right now, you have thoughts of your wife giving herself to that thing and not even knowing she’s done it until it’s too late.” She took the envelope, lifting her eyes back to Clark. “With all of that Midwest chivalry and morality, would you divorce her if she defiled herself like that? After all, infidelity marks a marriage very deeply, no matter how strong it is. Will your morals allow you to forgive her such an indiscretion?”

EXCERPT #5:
Le jour où Superman avait laissé échapper qu’il avait des parents, et avait tout de suite paniqué à l’idée qu’elle puisse le répéter à quelqu’un, elle avait compris qu’il n’était probablement qu’un type normal avec une vie normale quelque part. Mais le rencontrer en costume-cravate, avec des lunettes… ce n’était pas pareil que de l’imaginer. Mais combien y avait-il de chances de rencontrer deux hommes attractifs, peu sûrs d’eux, bégayants, et qui se ressemblaient tellement? Et amoureux tous les deux de Lois Lane ? Ça devait être lui.

EXCERPT #6:
But somewhere — maybe during dessert or maybe as Diana had read to her — little four-year-old Ellie had wrecked those plans with a few simple words and a request for Diana to put the child to bed. Now Diana could not only contemplate being a mother, she suddenly wanted to be this little one’s mother. And if that meant dealing with an occasionally bratty teenaged girl and an older brother who was all but grown himself, then she’d take on that responsibility most willingly.
Assuming, of course, that Clark would also think it was a good idea.

EXCERPT #7:
And that Godzilla doll (a casual conversation between himself and Clark; throwaway words he’d never thought would come to fruition because no one ever listened to him…but Clark had) was all it had taken to make Jimmy hand in his resignation. Walk out of the only place he’d ever wanted to work, away from the people he’d made into a pseudo-family. Follow a cold, hard trail after a man he still admires and a hero he can’t stop trying to protect. Get up far too early in the morning and dress in business suits and meet with corporate executives and spend his life on the run.

Because Clark had listened, and Clark had cared (about Jimmy’s ideas, and Jimmy’s troubles with Perry, and Jimmy’s life; about Jimmy, before he became James), and James wants to do the same for Clark.

EXCERPT #8:
"I simply wanted to stop by and proffer my congratulations on your success investigating Lex Luthor and on finally having the church wedding that both of your families desired. It was a lovely affair and very fitting. Most of the other Clark and Lois couples I have met were not married so soon after meeting. Most took time to develop a relationship."

EXCERPT #9:

Clark was in a quandary. This had the potential of being illegal, but since his dearest wish was that he could actually be married to Lois, this was actually going to be legitimate. As he weighed the pros and cons of the issue he first nodded then shook his head. Finally he decided that perhaps, just perhaps he could use this situation to right a wrong.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink