Hi FoLCs!

This is Kerth Quiz #1 - Best Super Short (1-10k).

Instructions are blatantly copied/linked from last year’s Kerth Quizzes (or even further back than that).

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY! All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best Super Short Story Category, but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are other stories which qualify for this category, but this quiz only covers 10 randomly chosen ones.

Recommendations for other eligible stories are *very* welcome and encouraged!

QUIZ RULES: Two points for getting the story and author from the quote; one point for getting it from the excerpt. Specify which is which, or you'll automatically get one point instead of two. (Also, don't forget to mention which number you're answering.) Open hard drive and archive, *don't* forget to snip the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler space when you post in the replies thread. Plus, shiny gold stars for those who recognize their own stories (which, sadly, is harder than it looks, but mostly in the Epic and Long Story Categories though).

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Wednesday, January 13th 2016, by 11:59 p.m (Pacific Time Zone).

Please post your answers HERE .

Good luck!
Susan

S

U

P

E

R

S

H

O

R

T

S

T

O

R

I

E

S

QUOTE #1:
As it happens — fairly frequently — I’m the first one on the scene.

QUOTE #2:
“The tune. Come Fly With Me. You know, by Frank Sinatra.”

QUOTE #3:
“You take the keys.” Lois said as she tossed them.

QUOTE #4:
“It must be hard to be the only one on Earth without powers.”

QUOTE #5:
Love isn’t supposed to be this hard.

QUOTE #6:
And the laugh — the full-out, roaring laugh — silently spilling from the child’s toy, but echoing loudly in her head, sounded just like Clark Kent.

QUOTE #7:
Lois Lane is in my ears and in my eyes

QUOTE #8:
"Cat, if I'm Wonder Woman, why is it that I need Superman to save me all the time?" Lois asked.

QUOTE #9:
My heart bleeds for her. Unrequited love is just as painful as the poets would have us believe — trust me, I know.

QUOTE #10:
"I know about Christmas. I know all the different traditions and where they came from, what they mean."

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

EXCERPT #1:
I’ve only been Superman for a short time — just a couple of months. But in these short few months, I’ve been at more accidents, more tragedies that I care to recall. And, at more than half of them, I’ve been the first one there. It’s been just me, alone, figuring out what to do, how best to help, making decisions which could cost people their lives. The pressure, even if it’s only pressure that I put on myself, is unbearable.

EXCERPT #2:
As he bent to deposit a fresh cup of coffee on her desk, a more than usually off-key note emitted from his mouth. It was the last straw.

“Stop. Whistling!” she exclaimed exasperatedly. “You’ve been whistling the same thing all afternoon and it’s driving me crazy! You’re not even in tune! What is it supposed to be, anyway?”

EXCERPT #3:
“We had just gone inside when they entered. We turned to look. They both had guns out and approached us. Tweedle-Dum, in the blue, says, ‘Excuse me Miss but we’ll be taking your car.’” Lois rolled her eyes. “Like that was ever going to happen.” She waved her hand near her hairline. “Look, do I have ‘chump” written on my forehead or something? There’s no way anyone but me is driving that Jeep and there was no way I was going with them to drive.

EXCERPT #4:
“Aw, honey, I know it’s hard to grasp. But just put yourself in his shoes… All those years being different, having to hide it. It wasn’t his fault, but you know him -- he feels guilty for all sorts of things that are beyond his control. I guess it just ate away at him for so long. He probably feels he disappointed his parents. The mind’s a funny thing; it can make you believe things that just aren’t so.”

EXCERPT #5:
I love her. I am deeply, passionately, head over heels in love with Lois Lane. I want to spend the rest of my life with her.
And she wants to spend the rest of her life with Lex Luthor.
I didn’t think anything could hurt as bad as Kryptonite, but this does. It feels like my heart has been replaced by an aching void.

EXCERPT #6:
She breathed in deeply, nearly gagging on the stench of sewage that surrounded her, marrying the odor of garbage with the mental image of Clark Kent. And she should remember to always associate the two, because just like in a Japanese horror movie, a creature that seems sweet in the beginning will eventually stomp on people’s hearts.

EXCERPT #7:
Lois Lane types up another article.
We see Jimmy stare at Cat with a grin,
And then Clark Kent rushes in
From the pouring rain, very strange.

EXCERPT #8:
Lois threw her head back and began laughing again. When she finally was able to stop laughing, she answered, "Cat, you've got us. Clark and I are superheroes. I'm surprised you didn't figure out Jimmy's secret identity, though. He's Batman." As the words left her mouth, Lois began laughing again, this time at her own joke.

EXCERPT #9:
If I could go back to when we met, I wouldn’t accept her invitation to lunch. I shouldn’t have accepted it then. I knew there was no future for us, but I was wrapped up in the heady feeling of finding someone who was interested in me and not the superhero. So I said yes and ignored the consequences. I wish I hadn’t.
She would’ve been better off.

EXCERPT #10:

Lois smiled in delight when she saw Superman float gently into her apartment. He stopped within the window area, as usual, and she felt her heart leap when she noticed that he was directly under the mistletoe. She had hung it earlier in the week and had to admit that her choice of position was very much due to the fact that Superman visited her, and flew in through that very window, at least once a week.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink