Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
daneel Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Hmmm... I think her boss was counting on this... after all when has Lois followed the rules? :rolleyes:

Jose hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Oh my God, Chris.

Oh... my God. That was... that is... it's absolutely... I'm at a loss for words. :p

I just got to catch up on all three parts at once, and... wow. That was so amazing.

First... I love the premise, it's so new and fresh and... wrenching. And so, so good. It all feels so hopeless, but at the same time... at the same time we can't help but hope for a happy ending.

Between an Angel and an Alien.

And... I really love this.

You know that feeling you get when you've just read something *that* good? The way your chest feels heavy and you can't do anything to stop the small smile. This was absolutely fantastic, Chris.

I love watching Clark through Lois's eyes, and I love how she's discovering all this and taking it in her Angelic-stride.

Finding Clark's journal was a brilliant touch. Showing us all that'd passed between his outing and now... and doing it so... brilliant. Glimpses of his life from Clark's POV and giving us Lois's reaction. Very nice. smile

And... did I mention that I love this?

Normally, I like to quote lines that grab me, but... I'd literally be quoting the entire three parts. The part where he only wants 5 minutes... when Lois first sees him... the bit about waiting to be needed... laughing at the same joke he's heard a dozen times... Lois finding her photo... his journal... and, God. That meeting in his dream that wasn't. God, I love that bit. I was so excited about them interacting, my hand started to shake as I pressed down. <g>

I absolutely loved this, Chris, and I can't wait for more! laugh

Dave

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yet another excellent chapter, Chris. It totally sucked me in. I felt like I was in the dream right there with them; could see it all unfold in my mind.

Two lines particularly struck me:

And by April 1996, Clark Kent's byline had disappeared altogether.
Another thing that enforces how lonely and isolated Clark has become; his job at the DP was a part of Clark Kent, and that's been taken away from him.

Waiting to be called and needed. What a perfect description of what his life has become. I'd almost feel resentful of our Lois for turning his existence into this if Superman weren't an essential part of Clark, too. wink

And I really liked this line, too:

Funny how his subconscious always edited Lana out of the dream.
Hee.

I'm very much intrigued by what state of existence Lois is really in, what with her being allergic to her wings, experiencing eyestrain and remembering too much of her flesh days.

Just really beautiful and engaging prose. I look forward to the next installment.

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
Columnist
Columnist
I just got caught up on this. It's amazing! I'm regretting it though, because now I have to sit and wait for each part to be posted. But its turning out to be well worth it!

This idea is new and unique. I love it! So where are you taking us? I'm hoping this story is headed to them finding each other, in some way, shape, or form. Then Clark won't be lonely and Lois will be able to experience what she never could during her Flesh days. You wrote Clark's daily anguish so vividly. It's impossible not to feel sad for him. And what Lana did to him!!! mad I just feel so sorry for this Clark.

I'm curious, though. She remembers so much and feels so much that she apparently shouldn't. Could that mean anything as to the state that she's in? Is there hope that Clark will notice that the long-haired Lois of his dreams was not the Lois he met?

I have no idea where you are planning on taking us with this one. But that makes it all the better. I can't wait for the next part to be posted!

~Kristen

Joey: If he doesn't like you, then this is all just a moo point.
Rachel: A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion, you know, it just doesn't matter. It's "moo."
Rachel: Have I been living with him for too long, or did that all just make sense?
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. clap

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
J
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
J
Yet another fantastic part of a wonderful story!! thumbsup

Poor poor Clark, he's so lonely and can only be happy in his dreams. wave

Kerth
Kerth
I knew that Lois couldn't just Watch for very long! I wonder what other abilities she has that will allow her to interact with Clark. This story is facinating!

I had to read this line a couple of times, though:
Apparently she now had a house in Aspen, and an apartment in New York, complete with toy boy.
I've always heard the phrase as "boy toy." Is it different in other parts of the world, or was this just a typo?

Waiting with anticipation for the next part! thumbsup Susan

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Wow! I'm speechless! So GOOD!!! Awww, Chris, I'd like to quote and quote here, but I got to go to work soon, you know? But this, how can I not quote this?
Everyone who had talked had said exactly the same things. "He was kind and polite. Quiet. Shy. Like to keep himself to himself. I still can't believe he's an alien. But then, I guess it's like they always say with serial killers: it's always the ones you least expect."
I can't believe he's an alien... I guess it's like they always say with serial killers, it's always the ones you least expect... SERIAL KILLERS???? CLARK???? Alt-Clark???? Who spends his life waiting on you... you... ungrateful... AAARRGGHHH!!! mad wallbash mad

AAAAHH! I got to come back here later, but I got to go now, but Chris, this is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Just caught on with this. Fabulous. Absolutely loved Angel Lois' intervention in Clark's dreams goofy

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Originally posted by groobie:
I've always heard the phrase as "boy toy." Is it different in other parts of the world, or was this just a typo?
I've heard the phrase used either way. I always thought it was interchangable and meant the same thing? smile

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
As I said before, Chris, this is wonderful. The way you take all sorts of contemporary conceptions about angels and the afterlife, aliens and allergies, flying men and the media, oddities and exposures, waking-realities and dream-realities, and how you meld all this into a charming, magical, feather-light yet in its own way disturbing tale about life, death, angel-magic and love... Yes, Yvonne was so right when she compared the world you've created here with the magical world of J.K.Rowling.

I so, so loved it that Lois was able to enter into Clark's dream as if that was a reality of its own. Here she could imperceptibly meld with Clark's dream-preconceptions about her counterpart, but at the same time she could also act on her own, speak, make choices and - not least - kiss. Kiss Clark. By entering his dream, she was able to make contact with him, interact with him and, yes, love him. And possibly damn herself in the process, of course, for breaking the rules.

Ahh, the rules. Nothing is more dangerous, nothing is more scary, certainly, than breaking the rules. Nothing can bring us more horrible punishments than breaking the rules. But honestly, Chris and everyone else out there, why do the rules decree or forbid the things they do? Why is it that when I was a kid, some relatives of mine made me feel that I would certainly go to hell for playing the frog in a dramatization of a fairy tale for kids? Or that I would suffer a similar fate for sewing a button on a blouse on a Sunday? Why do some people feel ready to die of shame if they are caught drinking a cup of coffee? Why are we forbidden or compelled to whistle, shave our legs, celebrate birthdays or eat fish on Fridays or eat a calf's testicles?

And why is it forbidden to be an alien? And why can't an angel kiss a living person in his dream?

Rules. People, have you considered that what exactly the rules stipulate is nearly insignificant? What matters is that a certain set of rules exists, and that a group of people define themselves as the good and true and right people because they follow those rules. Because that is what it means to follow the rules: it proves that you are a good and worthy person. So if you follow the rules you can belong to the group, but if you break the rules you get thrown out. And nothing, nothing scares us more than being rejected by our own crowd.

There is a Swedish saying that most of us would much rather stay in our own group and do something stupid or disastrous with the rest of them than blaze our own lonely trail and be right. And now consider Clark. By being an alien, and by having been outed as an alien, he is certainly breaking the number one rule of any society here on Earth, which is that if you want to belong anywhere you'd better be a human being. So because Clark is breaking that number one rule, whether he wants to or not, he shows no respect for us and our rules and we have the right to reject him. And, as Chris shows so eloquently in this story, everybody in alt-Clark's world is rejecting him.

Clark has no group to belong to, even though, out of the extreme goodness of his heart, he watches over and helps all those people who have rejected him. Unlike Clark, Lois does belong to a group - the group of angels. And that group has rules. All groups do. By kissing Clark, Lois has broken the rules of her group. What will Kilmartin, Lois's angel supervisor, do when he finds out? And how did he get that name, anyway? Maybe Kilmartin showed Martin what happens when you break the rules of the angels. And if so, then Kilmartin may soon earn himself a second name, by showing the same terrible thing to Lois as he showed to Martin.

Angel-Lois has melded with Dream-Lois and kissed Dream-Clark who was born out of Flesh-Clark. The foundations of heaven and earth are shaking.

I can imagine several very different endings to this tale. Lois and Clark could triumph and find a way to be together and love one another, either (and preferably) on the Earth, or in the heavens. Or else they could be defeated by the terrible force of our cruel rules, the ones that may apply in the heavens as well as on the Earth. And in my opinion, it's not a bad thing to read such a cautionary tale now and again, to be reminded of how readily we reject anyone who does not honour our own precious Rules.

Keep the story coming, Chris. It is fantastic.

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow. I mean. Wow. jawdrop

I'm gobsmacked. Seriously.

Stunned.

I have never got feedback like this for a story before. It's not just that it's flattering, although it most certainly is! It's also that it's thought provoking.

I'm sitting here, my jaw hanging, thinking that I can't believe that my story has prompted people to say all that. Ann, I'm looking at you here. laugh

I'm really, truly, honestly amazed.

I don't want to say much more, because I don't want to give away what I've got planned for Lois and Clark, and I fear that whatever I do say will do just that.

I will say that Kilmartin has nothing to do with anyone called Martin being killed. Sorry to disappoint... wink

Kilmartin Glen is a place in Scotland. It is famed for having the highest concentration of prehistoric monuments of anywhere in mainland Scotland. I think I've got that right.

Kilmartin House Museum has a cafe, and it was in that cafe that I had the idea for this story. So I called my angel after the place were he was, for want of a better word, conceived.

One last thing... Toy boy. That's what we call 'em on this side of the Atlantic. To me, boy toy just doesn't sound right.

Jose, David, Incognito, Kristen, Maria, Julia, Susan, Ann and AnKS: I love you all! smile

Chris (off to post part four)

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard