Description: Superman notices where Lois has hung her mistletoe.

Acknowledgements and Comments:  This was just a quick, simple story that I wrote to encourage my daughter to write a story. I wrote this so we could swap stories and beta each other's. All she did, in the end, was correct a few spellings (which were obvious from the red wiggly line underneath), but then she is only 10, and it is Boxing Day, and she has a very short attention span. Still, thanks to my Beta - Elizabeth - who actually encouraged me to write this to begin with.

Disclaimer: Superman, Clark Kent, Lois Lane and all other character and place names are owned by DC and/or Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. I own nothing ... except my fantasies -- which frequently include Clark/Superman.

Mistletoe. In the window. What did it mean? Had she hung it there on purpose, or unintentionally. Possibly the window frame was the only place she could reach to put it.

But the window and the curtains were also open … inviting him in at that particular window. Clark knew that it was no coincidence. Lois was hoping for a kiss from Superman.

As he hung outside her apartment, drifting in the air, he debated with himself over whether to visit. Lois had been short, and a bit cruel, to him - to Clark - earlier today, and he was in need of a smile from her. The blue and red suit always got him that. But could he risk landing in that window when he would find himself under the mistletoe.

Maybe he could claim ignorance to the tradition - being an alien. Maybe he could immediately stride into the room and away from the mistletoe.

Or maybe, just maybe, he could let her kiss him. Maybe she deserved a little kiss after fighting so hard to exonerate him recently. Her tireless investigation into the issue of the heat-wave had saved him from a life of loneliness and despair.

Yes, he could show his appreciation to her … and he'd get a kiss out of it, too … and he most desperately wanted a kiss from Lois. The fact that he would be receiving the kiss dressed as Superman, rather than dressed as Clark, was suddenly of no importance.

He smiled, having come to his decision, and floated into Lois' open, inviting window.

Lois smiled in delight when she saw Superman float gently into her apartment. He stopped within the window area, as usual, and she felt her heart leap when she noticed that he was directly under the mistletoe. She had hung it earlier in the week and had to admit that her choice of position was very much due to the fact that Superman visited her, and flew in through that very window, at least once a week.

She stood up from her love seat and walked over to him. "Superman, hi," she said, suddenly shy. Her intension was to get a kiss out of this scenario, but nerves assailed her. No matter how many times she had imagined this, since putting up the mistletoe, no matter how many different conversations she'd run in her head, she wasn't prepared for the moment to actually arrive.

"Lois." He spoke, and his voice was strong and clear. Not at all like her shaky words.

Maybe she should just let him speak. Let him say what he came to say, and then leave. Yes, that would be a much better idea. She wouldn't feel quite as nervous, and wouldn't make a fool out of herself, either.

"I just came by to wish you a Merry Christmas." He smiled and his eyes seemed to be dancing with joy.

"Oh, well, thank you" she replied and continued to walk towards him at the window. "Merry Christmas to you, too, Superman." She was just an arms length away now. "Do … do you celebrate Christmas on Krypton?" she enquired, then immediately answered the question herself. "Oh, of course you don't. I don't know why I asked such a stupid question. Why would you, when it's a tradition we have kind of made up, by gradually merging so many bits of different religion into one ceremony to celebrate the birth of someone born on this world. I'm sorry."

"It's okay, Lois. There is no need to apologise. But … just to answer your question…" Lois watched as he took a deep breath and she frowned, wondering why he was pausing before answering. "I know about Christmas. I know all the different traditions and where they came from, what they mean."

"Oh, you do?" She smiled and gave a small laugh. "You do." She repeated, more to herself than to him. When, after a moment, she noticed that his gaze had become very intense, she began to interpret his hidden meaning. He was telling her that he knew what all the Christmas traditions meant … including the tradition of the mistletoe hanging above his head.

She took a step towards him and lifted her chin. She didn't want to seem to eager, in case she was wrong, so she didn't lean towards him, or lift onto her tiptoes. Instead he lowered his head and reached out his arms. She closed her eyes and then felt his hands tenderly take hold of her at her shoulders and draw her just a little closer. When his lips touched hers they were warm and soft. She raised up onto her toes, hoping to deepen the kiss. Lifting her arms to his chest she ran them up to his shoulders then tried to link them behind his neck.

Instead he pulled away.

She looked disappointed, and still had her arms on his shoulders. He stepped back and he could tell that she tried to hold on. Only moments later and her hands had dropped to her side. Clark watched as Lois covered her disappointment with a smile, but it was too late and not genuine enough.

He hoped he was hiding his own disappointment better. If she suspected that Superman wanted to continue the kiss then she would press home her advantage, and he would be unable to resist.

But, he'd indulged himself enough, and was treading on thin ice now. His original intension had been for a passionate kiss, but his conscience had awakened when their lips touched. If he lingered any longer then Lois would get the wrong idea about his feelings for her. Well, actually she would get the right idea about his feelings … but the wrong idea about his intensions. He could not have a relationship with her as Superman. And he needed to leave. His deepest desires had used twisted logic, earlier, to convince him that a kiss with Lois would be acceptable. He couldn't let those desires start to use some more twisted logic to persuade himself that he could actually be with her.

Superman could not love Lois Lane.

But Clark Kent could. And Clark Kent did.

Yet she didn't see it, and she didn't want it. She didn't want Clark Kent's love.

He drifted up and began to float out of the window, keeping his eyes on her face. Her disappointment was still clear. His disappointment was hidden away in his heart. He smiled, trying to make sure the smile reached his eyes, and said, "Good night, Lois."

"Good night, Superman," she replied, and he flew away, wondering if that would be the last time he would ever kiss her … or if he would succumb to his love for her and allow another selfish indulgence at some future time.

Lois watched as Superman disappeared out of sight. She sighed and a tear rolled down her cheek. His lips had been so soft, and - for a moment - she'd been sure that he was only a second away from sweeping her into his arms. Her heart felt both heavy and light. Light and joyful because she had kissed him, touched him. But heavy with sadness and despair because Superman only saw her as an aquaintance … possibly a friend.

Why couldn't he see how much she loved him? She would give anything to be with him, to be the one who supported him, comforted him, defended him. It wouldn't be a burden to share him with the world, it would be a privilege.

Yet he didn't look at her in that way.

Well, who would? She wasn't exactly nice to any men who crossed her path. Pretty much the only men who didn't run when they saw her coming … were Perry, Clark and Superman.

Clark liked her. Clark would probably let her kiss him under the mistletoe if he came over. Lois smiled as the scene played out in her head. Either he'd tease her mercilessly when she suggested it, or he'd agree to her request and be the perfect gentleman giving her a sweet and chaste kiss.

Maybe she'd invite him over after work tomorrow.

Or maybe Superman would visit again and maybe there would be more kisses some time in the future.

THE END

Comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."