Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#267086 11/03/15 08:22 PM
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
For those of you who may be interested, I'm running for President of the United States. Really! I made the front page of the Orange County Register and the Press Enterprise today. grin Here's a link to one of the articles.
Presidential Pipe Dreamers

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
groobie #267087 11/03/15 08:41 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You've moved onto my list as one my top three candidates! smile Good luck! thumbsup

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
groobie #267088 11/03/15 08:43 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by groobie
For those of you who may be interested, I'm running for President of the United States. Really! I made the front page of the Orange County Register and the Press Enterprise today. grin Here's a link to one of the articles.
Presidential Pipe Dreamers

At least your reason makes sense. Good luck!

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
groobie #267089 11/03/15 08:52 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
What a neat lesson for your students. I wish you had been my social studies teacher. All my teachers had us doing was memorizing names and dates -- two things at which I am horrendous. And since most of the names and dates were for wars and other non-cheery events, you can understand why social studies was the only academic subject I hated. (I did intensely dislike some of the non-academic subjects; gym and hand-writing tied for the two most-detested subjects overall.) I strongly suspect that had you been my teacher, I would have enjoyed the class as much as I did my language classes -- and that is saying a lot.

Too bad your students are too young to vote. (No pun intended.) Even without knowing your platform, I would be jumping up and down for joy if you proved to be the nominee for the Democrats. I'll take you over the other candidates in either major party any day. At least you strike me as being that rarest of beasts: an honest politician.

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., I just started looking over the list of candidates. I must admit I like "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA." The name about sums up what I think of the current big-name candidates. (I'm assuming that that name is supposed to sound like someone running away in fear -- perhaps with an expression like that of the fellow in the lower-left corner of the Action Comics #1, as seen on this page.)

groobie #267090 11/03/15 09:08 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Way to go, Susan! I wish I could be an American citizen for a day so I could vote for you... wink
(Besides, what's not to love in a redhead with a Lois Lane haircut?) grin

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
groobie #267091 11/03/15 09:26 PM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
What a great article--and again, congratulations on your run for office! clap clap clap.

But honestly, I am really impressed by you doing this--bringing the world into your classroom. Making what is happening around your students accessible to your students. Showing them that they can make a difference.

If a teacher would have had even the thought of doing this while I was in their class? Can not even imagine how excited I would be grin! That would be one class--one year of school--one project--that I would never forget. I'm sure your students feel the same.

I've always been impressed by your writing...but really, so much more than that, I'm impressed by you.

Very cool, Susan!
Laura (who thinks it's pretty awesome to be friends with a presidential canidate hyper ).

Last edited by LMA; 11/03/15 09:29 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
groobie #267131 11/04/15 07:56 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I showed the article to one of the Social Studies teachers at the school I work for. He went into a rant about how none of the top candidates are qualified, and how he's trying to teach his Government students to do actual research on all the candidates instead of just listening to soundbites.

I told him he should run. He gave me a horrified look and almost ran out of the library.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
groobie #267137 11/04/15 09:13 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Annie, I don't know whether to laugh or to sigh at your story. It, in a nutshell, illustrates why we are stuck with the main candidates -- anyone who has a shred of either sanity or humility would never put themselves through the grueling process necessary to become president in modern America. (Susan, I absolutely am not implying anything about you -- you are not running with the intent of actually becoming president, and you are not going to put yourself through the -- shall we say 'inferno'? -- that the big-name candidates must endure as they attempt to win the presidency.) So in my opinion, what we have -- in both major parties, and in pretty much every major election, at least since I've been old enough to pay any attention to politics -- is a bunch of egomaniacs who are willing to do whatever it takes to gain the power seat.

I know that if I were asked to consider running a serious campaign to become president, I would have the exact same reaction as your colleague.

Joy,
Lynn

groobie #267141 11/04/15 09:52 PM
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
The media scrutiny that comes with a major campaign is absolutely intimidating. Who doesn't have something in their life that they'd rather not want the entire world to know? I laugh at the future headline, "President Young Writes Naughty Fanfiction!" rotflol I'm sure there are good people with great ideas for the country that wouldn't dream of putting themselves and their families through the gauntlet.

My students had to research the Democratic and Republican party platforms to understand what each side stands for. Most kids say they belong to whatever party their parents belong to - I think it's important to think critically and not just accept what people tell you. They also had to research third parties and minor candidates, and had to investigate what each of the major candidates supports. Each student has had to write a pro/con position paper for the campaign - Young4President officially supports whatever my kids tell me to support. I'm trying to maintain my personal neutrality, because this isn't about my personal beliefs; rather, it's giving a voice to what my students believe. My goal is for them to want to become informed voters, interested in making critical choices based on evidence. Wherever their evidence and their personal beliefs leads them is fine by me. smile

The feedback from the article has been amazing and very positive. I'm so glad I've been able to highlight the good work my students do every day. Public education doesn't have to be about endless testing - it should be about true learning, and that comes from doing. Students who are interested and engaged can do great things. smile

Thanks for the support, everyone! clap

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
groobie #267143 11/04/15 10:10 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Man oh man oh man oh man, I wish you had been my social studies teacher! Your class actually sounds both useful and fun -- in short, the antithesis of the classes I endured. And just to make it clear: I loved almost all of my academic classes - from Latin and Greek to computer programming. It was just social studies that I found mind-numbingly boring. I have no doubt whatsoever that had you been my teacher, I would have had a very different attitude toward the subject. You seem to be as good a teacher as you are a fanfic writer -- and that is high praise indeed.

Joy,
Lynn

groobie #267839 12/08/15 09:54 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Why was it that my first thought was, "Groobie will be a better President than pretty much all of the mainstream candidates!"

BECAUSE YOU WOULD BE. smile

Not that I'm cynical or anything.

groobie #267856 12/09/15 05:24 PM
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Nice one Groobster. I'd vote for you!!

groobie #267858 12/09/15 07:36 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Obvious stupid question - what would you do if you somehow won?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
groobie #267862 12/09/15 09:13 PM
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks for the support, everyone! laugh

Originally Posted by Marcus Rowland
Obvious stupid question - what would you do if you somehow won?

Quick, cynical answer: Same as every other politician...nothing! wink

Slightly less quick, but still cynical answer: Pretty much nothing - the President has very little Constitutional power; Congress has the most power, and they're mired in gridlock.

Completely practical answer: It's a moot point - I can't win because I'm currently not on the ballot. Declaring your intention to run is merely step one - step two is actually getting into the primaries or caucuses in each state in order to get the party nomination. I did have my classes investigate how to get me on the ballot in each state, though. Tennessee would be easiest - it would take the signatures of 250 registered voters. Several states will let me on as a write-in candidate with little or no paperwork.

Answer that reveals the next step for my project: A few days ago, I was contacted to participate in a project - create a four minute video answering the question, "What is your plan for America?" The videos will be online and people can vote for them in a NCAA bracket-style tournament. Final two get to have an online debate right before the November 2016 election. So after winter break, I'm going to have my students start brainstorming answers to that question and create that video. Ultimately, the kids are in charge of this project - they shape what Young4President officially believes in, so I'll let them answer your question. smile

Susan, who lives 20 minutes from San Bernardino and at the very least would assure the world that Donald Trump does not speak for me or most Americans.

groobie #267902 12/11/15 09:02 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
My hat is off to you for doing this, even though it's not with the expectation of winning. Your students are learning a valuable lesson about the whole political process. Are you going to have mock voting for them to take part in?

Also, are you familiar with this website?

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard