Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#266955 10/31/15 02:22 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Okay I've been up way too many hours now... but I'm going insane. My brain has lost a word (or I suppose it's possible no words exist for this description but I wouldn't put it past me that I lost the word). Here's the description of what I want to capture:

That moment when you're talking with someone and they say something stupid/crazy and your eyebrows raise and you kind of smile politely and your eyes go wide and it's something that feels like it should be an eyeroll but that would be rude to the other person. It's the I-just-realized-how-crazy-you-are-how-do-I-get-out-of-this-conversation look, or the this-was-explained-thirty-times-already-why-are-you-still-asking-about-it look.

That's it. That's all the words I have for that look/feeling. mecry Literally none of the words I am coming up with even come close to what I want to say with that. wallbash

Anybody have some sort of suggestion, or at least a creative way to handle that? Or, if there is a word for it and I'm just missing it, you can give *me* that look as you think to yourself Mouse-is-crazy-she-needs-some-sleep-or-possibly-medical-attention. goofy

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Kerth
Kerth
Astonished exasperation?

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was going to suggest just 'astonished', but groobie nailed it with her descriptive phrase.

ALSO, Mouse, 'get some sleep!' said the pot to the kettle. wave

It's also okay to put in the long phrase with all the hyphens and then, later, come back and change it in editing mode, when you might possibly be more awake and can remember the word.

Good luck!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Astonished and exasperated were the two that came to my mind.

You can always use thesaurus once you get a word that 'almost' covers the feeling, but not quite. I'm always doing that.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
"Incredulous" maybe?

Shallowford
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I, too, like "exasperated." As for the surprised aspect, how about gobsmacked or dumbfounded?

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., Would "flummoxed" work?

Top Banana
Top Banana
If you think they're nuts but go along anyway you are humoring them.

If they already said that half an hour ago and are repeating themselves, your eyes might glaze over.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
clap Hahaha, these are great! Thanks everybody. The best suggestion was sleep, but these are all great. Now I have a new problem, choosing which one fits the sentence best... exasperated and flummoxed definitely work, as they're a little less surprised and a little more judge-y. I'm hoping I can squeeze one of these in to the sentence once I get the chance to work on the story again this week. goofy

It's always the littlest things that trip me up. grumble

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard