Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by LabRat
Oh, Suggs, I am so with you, there. I find magic tricks and plots utterly boring and I've often been puzzled by the fact that almost every US show tends to have at least one episode devoted to a magic plot. Like the 'boxing episode'. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a cultural reason why this is so and why these two subjects should hold so much fascination for US plot writers?
As an American, Labby, I'm just as perplexed as you. From what I can tell neither of these things are really that popular with the general American public, only with Hollywood writers, actors, and producers. huh I hear of more boxing movies (or episodes on TV) than of actual boxing matches and the only place magic is popular is when visiting Las Vegas (not even with kids at birthday parties as shown on TV). I always thought it was a sign of the times, something that was popular with the general public in the 50s-70s, but now -- with its continued perseverance in Hollywood (and really nowhere else) -- I'm beginning to wonder if Hollywood is being lobbied to make these sort of films and episodes. That wouldn't surprise me. Companies promote their products in films and TV, so why not sports and (the magic) industry?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Originally Posted by LabRat
Oh, Suggs, I am so with you, there. I find magic tricks and plots utterly boring and I've often been puzzled by the fact that almost every US show tends to have at least one episode devoted to a magic plot. Like the 'boxing episode'. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a cultural reason why this is so and why these two subjects should hold so much fascination for US plot writers?
As an American, Labby, I'm just as perplexed as you. From what I can tell neither of these things are really that popular with the general American public, only with Hollywood writers, actors, and producers. huh I hear of more boxing movies (or episodes on TV) than of actual boxing matches and the only place magic is popular is when visiting Las Vegas (not even with kids at birthday parties as shown on TV). I always thought it was a sign of the times, something that was popular with the general public in the 50s-70s, but now -- with its continued perseverance in Hollywood (and really nowhere else) -- I'm beginning to wonder if Hollywood is being lobbied to make these sort of films and episodes. That wouldn't surprise me. Companies promote their products in films and TV, so why not sports and (the magic) industry?

I don't get the appeal either. The lobbying theory makes absolute sense to me. And now onwards to....

3.13 The Dad Who Came In From The Cold.

Great cold opening. I was enjoying this episode, it was nice seeing Jimmy actually get a plot devoted to him. Unfortunately, it seemed to all fall apart at the end with people knowing or expecting other characters to know things they had no reason to, and I would like to know why Clark's cape is bulletproof now, since it never has been before. Also, who took the photo of Clark saving the plane? From the angle it was taken the person would have to be flying themselves. Insanity.

Overall though, I liked the episode, it was mostly well written, the acting was good, and it was well directed. I would have expected spies coming to Metropolis to actually have a plan to deal with Superman interfering considering they were up to no good. IDIOTS!! What was the thinking "Eh who cares? It's only Superman, I'm sure he won't stop us, or even if we succed in all our plans, I'm sure he won't mind us murdering his friends. Even if he does, we can easily deal with an angry superhuman who is as near to a God as anyone can get, no problem." Like I said, idiots.

On a side note, that plane rescue was good, and so were the effects shown of Jimmy falling off the building.

Rating time....

7/10.

P.S. It would be so cool if this Clark could meet Batman, the Doctor (from Doctor Who) or Spider-Man. Are there any fanfics where these meetings happen?

Features Writer
Features Writer
P.S. It would be so cool if this Clark could meet Batman, the Doctor (from Doctor Who) or Spider-Man. Are there any fanfics where these meetings happen?

Yes to all three. A search in the archives under Batman, Bruce Wayne, etc. is a good way to start.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted by cuidadora

Yes to all three. A search in the archives under Batman, Bruce Wayne, etc. is a good way to start.

Cool. I'll do that later. For now though, what can I say but up, up, and away to the next installment (collective groan from all readers)....

3.14 Tempus Anyone?

OK, first things first. I loved this episode. It was a great tribute to another show that was on at the time, whether that was intentional or not. I am of course referring to Sliders. I love shows/episodes about alternate parallel realities, I just think it's a fascinating concept, the whole idea of how lives can turn out completely different (Yes, I do think It's A Wonderful Life is a great movie before anyone says anything, although it is a little too long). Anyway, this episode was great for that, and also I enjoyed how it explored what it is that makes Clark do the Superman thing. Amazing that even with a completely different life, he still ended up doing it, albeit with some imported Lois Lane help....

Tempus's plan was interesting, and it was fun to see a villain with an actual smart plan for once. I mean right up til the end, everything everyone did was exactly what he anticipated. That's a smart person. I don't like him because he's evil, but I definitely respect his intelligence. He's also funny and charming though, but like I said evil. Hmm, like many politicians. Nice social commentary show....

Lana was a terrible person, but still more fun than her Smallville counterpart. Sorry Smallville fans. I love that show, I've seen every single episode, but I just infinitely prefer this Lana, and also incidentally the Annette O'Toole Lana from Superman 3 (the less said about any Superman movie made after part 2 the better though, so moving on...).

I can see why they kept Dean Cain in the role of Clark, Justin as Jimmy, and Lane as Perry but think if they had recast for this one episode, it would have been interesting for fans. People could have imagined it as a multiverse where alternate actors versions of Superman existed in other realities, which I guess would either be an improvement or a detriment, depending on your point of view, but either way it works.

Okay, the big flaw of the episode. H.G. Wells. Again. Stop it. Just stop showing him. Include Tempus, don't include Wells. HOW DIFFICULT IS THAT SHOW MAKERS?

I've rambled on about this long enough. I don't want to bore people any more than I probably already have so here goes with the grading. Most will likely disagree, but it's my grade, and I'm sticking to this one.

9/10.

P.S. I think the character of Lois would make a great Doctor Who companion (Any incarnation). I just had an idea for a fanfic or possibly even a series of them. Tempus dumps a Lois from after Season 4 on the Doctor's Earth and the Time Lord (As played by Peter Capaldi) finds her, post Clara. The story follows his attempts to get her back to Clark, and to find and restore his home planet, Gallifrey. The actual story/stories would be about the relationship developing over time and through many adventures, from strangers to friends, and the sadness of them both when it's time to say goodbye.......

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I missed your earlier hatred of the HG Wells character. I take it you find him a kin to JarJar (in ineptitude).

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
I don't hate Wells, but I'll agree that he's not necessary. Tempus is the perfect antagonist - I don't understand why his foil can't be from the future as well. That character doesn't need to specifically be H.G. Wells in order for any of the stories he's in to work.

As a side note, I always felt like at least one of the writers was inspired by Isaac Asimov's "The End of Eternity." Wells is an Eternal; Tempus is from the Hidden Centuries looking to shake things up.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
VirginiaR and Groobie,
Definitely. I do find wells to be Jar Jar like, and I do think Wells' character role could be performed by someone else, and The Groob's (new nickname idea) idea of someone from the future works better than the idea of Herbert the sherbet. I don't hate him. I just think he ruins the idea that we're meant to take the show even the slightest bit seriously, and that's baring in mind that this is a show about a man flying around saving lives in pajamas with his underwear on the outside, and his girlfriend.

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
3.15 I Now Pronounce You....

Oh, this was a bad episode. Frog clones in a presidential overthrow conspiracy? Seriously show, seriously? No. No, no no. No. NO!! Just no. Unacceptable, especially considering how good the previous episode was. I am insulted. The only thing more insulting than this episode's main plot was Lois being revealed as a clone at the end. My guess is that they were switched when Lois signed the wedding certificate. She seemed a little out of character during the wedding itself, plus it seemed like they had her go there purposefully as a separation tactic. This show just jumped the shark big time. In fact it jumped a whole shark family. On the plus side though Lex is obviously coming back, so I'm going to call this a draw for now, and hope it gets better.

5/10.

P.S. Is anyone else on here a fan of the Nostalgia Critic on YouTube?

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally Posted by Suggs_With_A_Box
3.15 I Now Pronounce You....

Oh, this was a bad episode. Frog clones in a presidential overthrow conspiracy? Seriously show, seriously? No. No, no no. No. NO!! Just no.

*pat, pat* We've all been there, buddy.
And the worst is yet to come... :P

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted by HiddenMoon
And the worst is yet to come... :P

Darth Vader parody voice: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
3.16 Double Jeopardy.

AGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

The only thing good about this episode was the acting of the main cast and that of John as Lex. Because of that, I'm going to be generous in grading this, this insult.

2/10.

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
3.17 Seconds.

Oh thank Krypton!! This episode was much better than the previous two. I thought Teri Hatcher did a really good job in this one. The plot was still bad, but I guess that can't be helped, it's just an awful arc, I can't wait for it to be over actually.

So, Lex is dead. Again. Possibly anyway, considering we didn't see a body or anything, which I have no doubt is on purpose and can only assume he'll be back sometime in Season 4, because A - He's like a cockroach, impossible to kill, and B- we had more proof of his death in Bolt From The Blue than in this one, and then the best episode ever, The Phoenix happened, so I won't exactly be shocked when he comes back. Also, C - Why waste the ultimate story of Lex knowing that Clark Kent is Superman? Only idiots would do that.

Now, Lois has Amnesia. Yay, more pointless crap to continue this endless arc. WHY WON'T IT END? I hope it's only a 4 episode arc, because quite frankly that's pushing it.

One last note. Clark's parents are awesome, both in character and their actors.

6/10.

Last edited by Suggs_With_A_Box; 11/02/15 01:39 AM.
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
3.18 Forget Me Not.

F###!!! S###!! D@#% #$%%$$# piece of #$%^$ episode!!! ARGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!! I can't take this arc anymore!!! I hope it ends soon. This is just awful. Doctor Deter the detour is a unprofessional selfish moron. The acting of the regular cast is the only good thing in this episode, which means they are the only reason it gets as high a score as I'm giving it, and I believe I'm being kind when I give this episode the following score: 3/10.

Last edited by Suggs_With_A_Box; 11/09/15 12:57 AM.
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
3.19 Odepus Wrecks.

It's over, it's finally over!!! THANK GOD, THANK ALLAH, THANK BUDDHA, THANK THOR AND THANK ZEUS!!! Seriously though, this episode wasn't bad, the villain was slightly interesting, and it was fun seeing Deter go to a magical place. It was great seeing Lois get her memories back at the end, and I was very happy when she punched out Deter.

7/10.

Last edited by Suggs_With_A_Box; 11/09/15 02:20 AM.
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
3.20 It's A Small World After All.

Not a bad episode, I enjoyed it. The acting was good, it was well directed, and not badly written. The "Clois" relationshippy scenes were good, and displayed their emotions well, and the Navy Seal scene was funny. The villainess had believeable motives and was fun. I enjoyed seeing her get what she deserved, but why did her henchman get away scott free?

8/10.

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
3.21 Through A Glass, Darkly.

I enjoyed this episode. It was interesting & had good vilains/anti-heroes. Not quite sure what Sarah & Ching are supposed to be. This episode was well acted, writen and directed. Unfortunately though, I don't really have anything else to say about it, so I'll end the review here.

7/10.

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
3.22 Big Girls Don't Fly.

Great episode. Perfectly acted, written, and directed. Well, except for three things. 1. Ching & Zara are Kryptonians, but in the previous episode Ching stood in the middle of a kryptonite force field without getting hurt. 2. How Clark stared at Lois and his parents with that expression on his face in front of a room full of journalists without any of them noticing and realizing that Superman and Clark are the same person is beyond me. 3. Tez was a terrible villain not least due to him not being very well developed. I thought the ending was handled beautifully and would have made a perfect sad ending to the entire show if that had been their intended plan. A fantastic season finale.

9/10.

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Season 3 Review.

Best Episode: Tempus Anyone?.
Worst Story: The Clonesia Arc.

A great season with some real highs and lows. When it was good it was fantastic, when it was bad, it was just awful crap for a whole five episode arc of hell. Overall though, it was brilliant, a masterpiece of a season. I very much look forward to Season 4, and actually seeing episodes that I have never seen before.

Score for the season: If it weren't for the wedding/clone/amnesia arc thing, I would give this season an 8, but as it is, I'm going to go with 7/10.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
When it was good it was fantastic, when it was bad, it was just awful crap for a whole five episode arc of hell.
That sums it up pretty well. clap Tempus, Anyone? is my favorite episode, too (no big surprise to anyone on the boards, I'm sure. [Linked Image])

VirginiaR.
---
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
When it was good it was fantastic, when it was bad, it was just awful crap for a whole five episode arc of hell.
That sums it up pretty well. clap Tempus, Anyone? is my favorite episode, too (no big surprise to anyone on the boards, I'm sure. [Linked Image])

You have good taste. Just out of curiosity, what other shows do you watch (both old and current)?

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard