Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26695 12/15/05 04:10 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
goofy >

FDK for Future Perfect Part 2 go here, please. If you're in here at all, thanks for reading again! smile

Chriscy

#26696 12/15/05 05:18 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. hyper

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#26697 12/15/05 05:24 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Primero...yo amo el gato (la fotografia) de Maria!

Chriscy this is great. This story is starting out great for a first fic! Lois is so...Lois and Clark, well I can just see him just trying so hard...so Clark. hyper

Keep it coming! I cannot wait for your next post! hail

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
#26698 12/15/05 06:03 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wow. Is this amnesia caused by the wreck, or did it happen BEFORE and that's why she ran off the road? Or is this some kind of time-slip, or a mind-switch with an alt-Lois?

Nah. It's probably something even more mundane than that. But Lois is in for a whale of a shock when she finds out that there's a Superman - and that she's married to him.

I definitely want to be a fly on the wall for that encounter.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#26699 12/15/05 07:40 PM
Columnist
Columnist
amnesia again....Oh My God. grumble

Poor Clark whinging

Lois needs a new brain....Oh Yessssssssss dance

Karla

#26700 12/15/05 11:57 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Haven't had time to read this yet, sorry, Chriscy. Hoping to, later.

But just wanted to address this:

I'm also happy that people are enjoying where this story is going, because I've just learned that kidfics aren't terribly popular in this fandom, which is too bad because honestly, it's one of my favourite genres (though I only like the ones where their children are babies or very young).
Oh, I wouldn't say that! goofy There are some readers for whom kidfic isn't to their tastes - Wendy, me laugh , Tank for three that I can think of. But there are also many readers who love them.

It isn't any different, I don't think, to any other genre out there. Some like, some don't. I wouldn't say the majority don't like stories of this nature. Many of our top authors write kidfic and are enormously popular. Nan Smith, for one.

Besides, there are always exceptions to any rule. I'm finding the time travel dilemma element of your story intriguing enough that it interests me despite my aversion to cute kids. <G>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#26701 12/16/05 05:42 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Study... no... studying is overrated... come back here and post more!! wave

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#26702 12/16/05 05:47 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, and ditto me - I just tune out the kid parts goofy and focus on Lois's confusion and disbelief at finding herself ten years into the future, and a future she simply can't believe is her own. That alone makes for a fascinating story. So keep this up!

If you don't mind, I'd like to make another editing suggestion. I noticed as I read through that there are several places where your grip on tenses slips - you switch into present tense. Here's a few examples:

This guy wasn’t making any sense at all; he had to be crazy. How is she going to get out of here?
Obviously, that should be 'was'.

This was too much; she just can’t handle this right now.
Couldn't.

Whose purse is that? And where the heck is her computer?! Her computer is her life!
Again, all should be 'was'.

It's easy enough to fix; just have a read through your file and watch for any tense switches. You're obviously talented with words and telling a story, and it's a shame when readers might get distracted by something as simple as a misplaced tense. smile

Keep up the good work!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#26703 12/16/05 09:00 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Like Sheila said... Lois is being so Lois in this story. That's to say, if a handsome stranger tells her she's married to him, and that the two adorable kids climbing all over her are theirs, she sure as heck can't just take his words for it. The kids resemble both him and her, but what does that prove? She's wearing his wedding ring, but anybody can have a ring engraved, can't they? There are photographs of him and her all over the place, but they could be faked, surely? There's this weird new technology all around that she doesn't recognize, but what does she know about the latest prototypes? Surely it's all a set-up of some kind, surely she is the victim of a horrible practical joke? So what is the Lois thing to do here? Well, she'd better run from this hunky stranger who's obviously trying to snare her with his monstrously elaborate hoax, hadn't she?

But, Lois. How do you explain that your face does indeed look ten years older? And Perry's face does, too. If I were you, that would cinch it for me - it can't all be a hoax! So how about going back to that handsome Clark guy, who claims to be your husband, and ask him what he knows about your life? Not that it's such a bad idea to contact Lucy, either. I'll bet she has an interesting story of her own to tell you, and I'm so looking forward to what Chriscy will make her tell you in her next chapter!

And Chriscy, I would like to comment on what I think about LC kid stories. I love the idea that Lois and Clark should have kids, but I really dislike it when the kids take over the story. I particularly dislike it when the kid stories have little or no room for Lois. But that most definitely isn't the case in your story, so I love the kids here! thumbsup

Ann

#26704 12/16/05 09:59 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
This is so funny, because as I read your comments (I tried to hold off for at least a day and read them all together, but I didn't have the willpower...plus I was trying to get away from studying goofy ), I find myself wanting in on the discussion as a reader! goofy

Lois is so...Lois and Clark, well I can just see him just trying so hard...so Clark.
I am so glad. Thank you! It's a bit of a peeve for me to be reading a fic and think that the character is OTC, so I've tried hard in that respect. And it's true! When it comes to Lois Lane, sprezzatura isn't Clark's middle name. goofy

But yeah, I don't think I'm up to - or experienced enough yet - to get myself into that kind of challenge. I'd much rather sit back with some Haagen Daz and read Yvonne Connell's stories. laugh LOVE her stuff, I could go on all day about'em.

Lois needs a new brain
Karla, you've actually hit a strong theme that will play a part in the end!

There are some readers for whom kidfic isn't to their tastes - Wendy, me , Tank for three that I can think of. But there are also many readers who love them.
Right, right, different strokes, absolutely. I understand! smile

And Wendy, you're awesome, I really appreciate this. goofy Regardless, I hope you hear from them soon and get the job; Western's the best. wink

I love the idea that Lois and Clark should have kids, but I really dislike it when the kids take over the story.
I was going to write the entire story and post it up in parts, but I wanted to test the waters first and see if it's worth continuing, which is why I posted the teaser chapter. I have never been more thankful, because really, as I read your comments, they're shaping the story.

It's not so much (well, maybe a little) because I'm what my old drama teacher would call an audience whore, but I realize that I am writing for an audience, so it's good to understand people's opinions on what makes a good story. One thing I've learned is that I can't do it all my way because there are so many ways and things to improve, if I keep an ear out for what everyone thinks.

So, I really, really appreciate all the comments about the storyline. I'm learning so much here, it's fantastic!

Chriscy smile

#26705 12/16/05 10:12 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I was going to point out the switch in tenses, but Wendy got in first, so...

I like this. I can feel Lois's confusion. I also like the way you have her go to familiar places and gradually accept that maybe, just maybe, the world really has changed, even if she can't remember any of it. Your description of Lois's reaction to seeing her older face was great!

Since the question of kidfic has come up, let me add my thoughts. I'm not, as a general rule, a kidfic fan. Babies really don't hold that much fascination for me, and cute stories where people gush endlessly about some podgy tyke who can't even hold up its end in a decent conversation just don't do it for me.

However, there are stories out there that are exceptions to the general rule that I don't like next generation stories. (Jenni Debbage and Irene Dutchak are two authors whose stories spring to mind here. Jenni even made that wretched Family Hour baby tolerable to me, something which, until I read her This Child Belongs To You I would have said couldn't be done!)

Why am I saying all this? Because, until I read this thread, it hadn't actually crossed my mind that you had written kidfic. Yes, there are children in it, but you've done a fantastic job of distracting me from them. You are writing from the point of view of a pre-season one Lois and as such she's not keen on kids, herself.

So, there you have it. Your fic has kids in it, but you're doing a good job of keeping me interested nonetheless.

Chris

#26706 12/16/05 01:57 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is so good it is beyond words. I can really feel that Lois is slowly coming to grips with the new reality, but she is teetering on the edge of sanity (at least I would be eek )

Looking forward to more.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#26707 12/16/05 06:51 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh Wow this is interesting. Poor Lois! Wow, now what will she do. She has been sleeping with a stranger for a long time and doesn't remember. She is going to have fun rediscovering him<g> Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#26708 12/17/05 01:02 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
(I tried to hold off for at least a day and read them all together, but I didn't have the willpower...plus I was trying to get away from studying [Goofy] ),
Stop fighting it, Chriscy! You'll never win. Before long, I guarantee, you'll be doing the old 'feedback dance' with the rest of us. That's constantly hitting the refresh button within two point five seconds of posting a story part, for those uninitiated into this tradition, in the hope that a new comment has arrived. goofy

It's fatal. You won't escape.

Now...part two:

Well, starting from the viewpoint of a reader who isn't that interested in kidfic - you immediately had me feeling sympathy for the kids. I could feel their anxiety as they got upset over Mommy acting strange. WTG! Trust me, this is an achievement. <g>

Lois's panic and fear were also beautifully and very vividly portrayed. I was with her all the way on her flight for the car. But she did check the address goofy . So a small part of her wants to go back, methinks. Well, maybe the part that likes cute guys, but not the part that doesn't like kids. laugh

The interaction with Lois and Perry was lovely - you have him nailed.

And that last scene...beautiful. Once again, her emotions just leap off the screen. Poor Lois! And poor Clark! He must be frantic by now, wondering where she's gone and what's happened to her!

More soon, please!

Oh and on the subject of a beta. If you want one, then I'd say it's worth it, even if this is the only story you ever write. Though I don't think I'm alone in saying I certanly hope that isn't the case!

You will be submitting this to the Archive once it's done, won't you? /me looks hopeful. If so, then a beta just tidying things up here and there will mean less work for your Archive editor. Something we always encourage. <g> Although, I do have to say that generally your copy is very clean and certainly wouldn't present a lot of hard work for a GE. When it comes to the odd typo or error though, every little helps. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#26709 12/17/05 04:47 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
More. devil

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#26710 12/18/05 06:56 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Before long, I guarantee, you'll be doing the old 'feedback dance' with the rest of us. That's constantly hitting the refresh button within two point five seconds of posting a story part, for those uninitiated into this tradition, in the hope that a new comment has arrived.

It's fatal. You won't escape.
All you need is a crescendo MUAHAHAHAHA laugh now to seal your point. goofy

So that's what it's called! The feedback dance, huh? I knew it had to have a name. :p

Just to let everyone know, I scrapped a key scene in the next part and now I'm sort of stuck, but I have the scene after that written. Fear not, because my exams are done and I'm just enjoying not really doing anything (and not having to do anything, which is the best part, really goofy ), so I'll be spending a significant amount time trying to figure the hole out. Which means, provided my Muse co-operates, the next part will come out soon in the next couple days.

Sorry and thanks for staying with me!

Chriscy smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard