As promised tonight, part 2.

I stood there this morning. Nearly two years had passed since I first laid my eyes on the ink representation of it. I took a moment to stare at it, analyzing every detail in the metal, and give pause to reflect on everything that’s happened to bring me to this point. It made me late but gave me confidence. It reminded me of why I was here before I walked below it and through the revolving door to the Daily Planet, ready and poised to ask Mr. White for a job.

My samples, like that globe out front, are solid, full of promise but rough and unpolished. Lamentably, they did nothing to woo the Editor and Chief into hiring me. What was I to expect with the articles I provided. Maybe if I had not lost that amount time after the meteor that left me adrift for so long, I would have provided stories more fitting to his paper. Alas, ‘Mating Rituals of the Knob-tailed Gecko’, and the like, were all I had.

It took longer than I wished to find myself. After deftly escaping the mental institute outside Moscow, I roamed throughout Europe and Asia for the next year, avoiding all cities if possible, always hiding, until the day everything came back.

I spent my time testing my dreams by repeating what they revealed to me. Some things became clearer; I did indeed possess everything they told me. It was real, sometimes scary, but I wasn’t crazy. Nevertheless, they still didn’t tell me who I am or where I come from; only the possibility of what I am, something more than human, if I am in fact the only one who could do these things.

Winter came and I wasn’t cold. I failed to realize that until I received a look one day from a man in a thick fur coat plodding through knee-deep snow. It was in a small village; he probably would have offered me the coat off his back, but I averted my eyes and headed the other way, out of town. I didn’t make that mistake again.

Then on March 13, 1992, my world came back to me. I was in Istanbul when an earthquake hit in the northern part of the country. Without hesitation, I took off running towards the rumbling. Not long after I started, I found myself hovering above the ground moving forward at an incredible speed.

I had figured out long ago that I was fast, but flying had remained elusive. It was common for me to awake far above my bed, or wherever I had been sleeping, but I had no control over the rate in which I descended, I merely succumbed to gravity. In the blink of an eye I was there though, in Erzincan, moving earth and rescuing people. It was all on instinct.

I can’t point out when it happened, but somewhere there in the dirt, death, and destruction it came back; who am, Clark Kent. After so long, I could finally put a name to myself and where I’m from. I finished digging people out, doing all I could while remaining discrete, before I headed towards home. Home, a word that I could not define for so long, and to my parents, who must have thought long ago that they had lost their only son.

I’ll never forget walking through that door and receiving tears of joy and a hug from both of them. After the shock had worn off, granting us the ability to move again, we moved the reunion to the living room. They told me that their fear that I would not return from the asteroid had come true. I had taken off from Smallville early one morning to destroy that rock and had never returned. Nobody else would ever know, but they knew I died a hero and were proud of me.

Trying to lighten the mood, I amended that there was probably some baffled scientist out there, who still could not explain what had happened, but knew that by some miracle, Earth had remained unharmed. Maybe he even had a crazy idea about an alien ship blowing it up or something.

Dad worries about my time spent in the institution. Why did they have me? What did they do to me? How did they inject me and with what? They always said it was a sedative, but was it? Can I trust them? Even after everything came back to me, the time between hitting the asteroid and waking up there still remains fuzzy. I can’t let it bother me though. I can’t change it. I tell him at least I’m still whole; they didn’t dissect me like a frog. He doesn’t laugh, just reminds me that there are now people out there who know something about me.

I spent the next few weeks helping out on the farm getting everything caught up. Dad never complains but there is always stuff around that’s getting harder and harder for him do. He was so grateful to have me back as was mom. Still, after every project finished, every fence mended and life had returned to normal, I got restless. It had happened before and my parents weren’t surprised by it.

Metropolis, and hopefully the Daily Planet, seemed to be the next place to try out. Wherever I went last year, I would always search for a copy of the latest edition. It didn't matter which language it was printed in, I seemed to have a knack for languages. I guess I have the institute to thank for enlightening me to that particular paper.

Most of the time She was printed, not always featured, but always something of hers was there for me to enjoy. Lois Lane. I can’t explain what about her writing draws me to it every time. I just had to meet her.

It all made sense once my memory came back. No wonder I enjoyed reading the newspaper so much; I had spent three years working for the Smallville High paper and four years as a journalism major at Midwestern University. Being a part of it was always what I wanted to do.

I’m not going to let Mr. White’s disapproval of my work experience stop me. He mentioned something about an old theater being razed when She, Lois Lane, stormed in to my interview. She disregarded the fact that I was in the room as well as her editor’s assignment on the story. It was amazing; I had never seen anything like it, but maybe this is my chance. Maybe Ms. Lane has left the door open for me to impress Mr. White with a real Daily Planet quality story. Maybe it will all work out and there’ll be no more reasons to keep wandering.

It is truly remarkable how quickly things can change. Losing who I am taught me to live in the moment. I plan to do that and take nothing for granted.