Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I eagerly await your comments. grovel

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Top Banana
Top Banana
I always seem to end up back on these boards when you post. I wonder why... laugh

Your stories are always engaging and this one is no exception. I love the idea of Lois sleeping in Clark's bed without her knowing that he knows. Just delicious! smile

Keep feeding us great stories and I'm sure we'll keep serving up praise! laugh

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Oh I absolutely adore this part. Glad to see Lois give Lex the old heave ho. Of course the only place she feels safe and secure--Clark's apartment. Even with him not there, the apartment is a balm to her soul. It's nice to see her pondering about the woman that Clark is so in love with. Also, her snooping around his apartment. Even finding the picture of her by his bed didn't filter through that thick skull of hers. Not really sure letting his guard down with her as Superman was such a great idea on Clark's part though. Although who can blame him. Great part.
Sarah

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
An awesome part in one awesome story. Loved that Clark was in on the fact Lois was in his place without her realising, and his responses to her (as Superman) in their conversations. Great that she found the Lex's tracking device in her purse! Now she REALLY knows Lex for what he is really like!

Totally brilliant writing and now I hope the coming week speeds by so I can read Part 5! ...of course you could always surprise us with an extra post during the week! wink

Last edited by elizabeth; 09/11/15 12:44 AM.
Kerth
Kerth
I'm laughing at the image of Lex in a golf shirt and khakis...come on, dude! Totally obvious that he's been listening in on her phone. I do appreciate, though, the thoughts Lois has that show why she might legitimately have some feelings for him. It's very easy to forget his adorable ice cream scene during IGACOY, and the adorable look on his face in Flyhard. He had a few things going for him...And then the shifty look on his face in this story takes you right back to why Lois shouldn't fall for him.

Mmmmm....can't help thinking about Clark when you're lying in his bed, can you, Lois? Especially now that you've seen his boxers...yummy! The fact that Clark's apartment is the one safe place she can think of should tell her something. wink

I love the conversations between Lois and Superman. Clark really slips here, losing the emotional distance that comes with the costume and injecting more of his personality. It works for him, though. smile
She looked over to find Superman standing in the open doorway to Clark's patio. His arms were crossed over his chest, and he was leaning with one shoulder against the doorframe.
thud Ooooohhhh, I have such a vivid mental picture of this, with Clark's playful smile on his face. Mmmmmmm...
He opened the top drawer and took out the dark boxers.

Lois looked away, her cheeks growing even hotter.
Hubba hubba! Lois' mind is in the gutter! devil

Susan, who happily wallows in the gutter devil

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Good morning! hyper

mozartmaid - Hi! It's so awesome to see you again. wave I'm happy to have you along for the ride.

I love the idea of Lois sleeping in Clark's bed without her knowing that he knows. Just delicious!
Hee! Just wait - it gets better. (At least, I think it does.)

Sarah - LOL at "the old heave ho". If only it was that easy. smile

It's nice to see her pondering about the woman that Clark is so in love with. Also, her snooping around his apartment. Even finding the picture of her by his bed didn't filter through that thick skull of hers.
Hee! She's just not thinking very critically at the moment.

Not really sure letting his guard down with her as Superman was such a great idea on Clark's part though. Although who can blame him.
Being that familiar with her certainly didn't help put the brakes on her Superman crush, did it? smile

Elizabeth - Yay, you came back again!

Loved that Clark was in on the fact Lois was in his place without her realising, and his responses to her (as Superman) in their conversations.
Yeah, she was embarrassed enough that Superman caught her on the bed. She'd be completely mortified if she knew the truth. eek

Great that she found the Lex's tracking device in her purse! Now she REALLY knows Lex for what he is really like!
As much as I love the episode 'The Phoenix,' I've always had an issue with Lois letting Lex just walk away after he confronts her in the alley. I firmly believe that Lois wouldn't think "he'd suffered enough" once she knows who he really is and what he's capable of doing. It's been fun to write her interactions with Lex after her eyes are opened.

Totally brilliant writing
Thank you! blush

now I hope the coming week speeds by so I can read Part 5! ...of course you could always surprise us with an extra post during the week!
If there was an outpouring of FDK, I could definitely be persuaded to speed up the posting process. thumbsup

Susan - Thank you for laughing! smile And thank you for noting that Lex could be charming when he wanted to be.

The fact that Clark's apartment is the one safe place she can think of should tell her something.
She's getting there. Slowly, but surely.

I love the conversations between Lois and Superman. Clark really slips here, losing the emotional distance that comes with the costume and injecting more of his personality. It works for him, though.
He does slip, but only because he can't see Lois in distress and still maintain an emotional distance.

Ooooohhhh, I have such a vivid mental picture of this, with Clark's playful smile on his face. Mmmmmmm...
Me, too! drool

Susan, who happily wallows in the gutter
Just one of the many, many reasons that I adore you. laugh

Thank you so much, ladies! sloppy

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Ides of Metropolis
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Voilà la review smile
First of all, I have to say your Lex evokes mixed feelings in me: he sure is creepy as hell, stalking poor Lois and putting bugs everywhere (like I felt the urge to open my room window while I was reading), but on the other end... There's something ridiculous about him. I mean, how stupid it is to dress in a way that makes the (smart) girl realize you've been eavesdropping her phone conversation? And what about being constantly around her, asking her out for every.single.meal? That won't exactly make your persona intriguing, even without the scary factor... Longing is essential in a budding romance, and right now who's benefitting from it is mr. Kent wink
Ok, done with the courtship lessons. Now:
Originally Posted by Sue S.
"We are friends, aren't we?" he asked, his eyes anxiously searching hers. "Surely, we have that much between us. I don't drop my guard easily, but I have with you, Lois." His hand lightly touched hers, but this time she didn't pull away.

"Have you?" It felt like her voice was coming from miles away as she searched her memory. With shame, she realized that Lex had, on occasion, been relaxed and familiar. There was the time he had been at the Metro Club when she was undercover. He hadn't blown her cover or done anything to give her away. Later that night she'd come home from a fight with Clark and Lex had shown up on her doorstep. He had been charming and flirtatious and had eaten ice cream straight from carton with her.

And then there was the time, only a few weeks ago, when terrorists took over the Planet and they had spent the night handcuffed to each other. During a quiet moment, as she lay with her head in his lap, he had enumerated all the things that money couldn't buy, and one of them had been "brown eyes." His thumb had stroked over the bare flesh of her upper arm when he said it, his voice soft and sultry. Their eyes had met for a moment and a shiver of pure desire had run through her.

Now those same intense eyes were looking into hers as he quietly added, "I love you, Lois. I would do anything for you. Name it, and it's yours."

"…Whatever she wants, or needs, I'd do it. Clark's words came back to her in a rush. "Her happiness matters more than my own."

Across the table, Lex was still looking beseechingly at her. It was almost hypnotic, and certainly heady, to be the absolute center of his attention in this way. Maybe she had been wrong when she said that they didn't really know each other. There had been moments between them; brief and tender interludes that were surely enough to build a relationship on. She had certainly extrapolated every tiny little encounter between herself and Superman into tokens of undying love and devotion.

So this was it. Lex Luthor was in love with her. He had actually said the words, and he'd said he would do anything for her. Anything! With Lex's wealth, that opened endless possibilities. Just like she'd told Clark, all that money could come in really handy. She could investigate anything she wanted, write anything she wanted. Lex would never begrudge her anything -- he'd just said as much. He already used his wealth for philanthropy, bankrolling her exposes would merely be an extension of that altruism.

Hello Lois?! Like your pal once said: what did they put in your coffee?! O__o
Out of the corner of her eye, Lois saw Owen rise from another table and move to head off someone coming towards them. The sight of his bodyguard was an abrupt reminder of all the other things that Lex seemed to be doing with his power and wealth. He was most likely stalking her, and tapping her phone, and God only knew what else. Lex had crossed a line and nothing was ever going to uncross it for her.

In spite of the warmth of the afternoon, Lois shivered. She saw Lex's eyes narrow slightly and the chill inside her increased. Suddenly the slight pressure of his hand on hers felt menacing and the intensity of his gaze was making it hard to maintain eye contact.

"I…" Lois shook her head and eased her hand out from under his. "I don't think so, Lex. I'm sorry."

Phew! Thank God, the psilocybin mushrooms must have been poor quality.

And now the gem of the gems, ladies and gentlemen:
When she looked up again he had folded Clark's underwear into the shirt. Lois shrugged. "Are you offering to stay here with me?"

His eyebrows rose in surprise. "I'm not sure that would be a good idea."

"Can't resist me?" she teased.

In an instant, his features changed from politely friendly to definitely amused as he chuffed out a surprised laugh. He grinned at her and shook his head. "It would take a stronger man than me, Lois."

For a moment longer Superman seemed to hesitate, then he gave her a wink and disappeared in a rush of wind. The door clicked shut in his wake and, a second later, a sonic boom rattled the windows.

"He can't resist me," she whispered to herself.
*facepalm*
Clarkie, you all-American-boy (well, sort of) fed on corn and football... There's this other ball game called soccer, you know? Well, in a soccer game, if a player accidentally kicks the ball into their own goal (it happens quite often), they score for the opposing team. Comprende? Now, that's exactly what you've just done for your alter ego! For Heavens' sake, the girl is finally falling in love with Clark Kent and you flirt with her as Superman?!
I really don't know what to do with this guy... *shakes her head*

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow! What an awesome, beautiful chapter. clap notworthy

Glad Lois is seeing through Lex's facade. She's doing her best to tell him "no." Searching for the tracking device and bugs was brilliant, and so in character for Lois when she's thinking like the investigative reporter she is. Looks like she knows he's not likely to give up so easily.

Typical Lex to have to have the last word with Superman, whether or not he knows it was heard. And just like his contacts with Lois, I can't help but hope Lex's multiple tests of exposing Superman to kryptonite will backfire, so Clark can escape Lex's likely trap.

Loved how Lois finds Clark's apartment her safe haven, even when he's not there. And the conversations between Lois and Superman are great. She's still being comforted by Clark. Perfectly understandable how he can't distance himself from her when she's in pain. I assume if he could distance himself there wouldn't be 12 parts to this tale!

"That's a good color on you."

Lois nearly dropped the shirt in her surprise. She looked over to find Superman standing in the open doorway to Clark's patio. His arms were crossed over his chest, and he was leaning with one shoulder against the doorframe. Either she was imagining it, or the glint in his eye was further proof that he harbored deeper feelings than mere friendship for her. She wondered just how long he had been standing there.

"You really don't think Clark will mind?"

Superman smiled and shook his head. "Not a chance. When he finds out you wore that to sleep in, he may never wash it again."

Lois laughed even as her cheeks grew warmer. "Then I hope it's not one of his favorites."

"I think it is, actually. Maybe we'd better not tell him." He nodded toward the closet. "Let me just grab a few things and I'll be out of your hair."

Definitely my favorite visual scene in this chapter. clap thumbsup

In an instant, his features changed from politely friendly to definitely amused as he chuffed out a surprised laugh. He grinned at her and shook his head. "It would take a stronger man than me, Lois."

For a moment longer Superman seemed to hesitate, then he gave her a wink and disappeared in a rush of wind. The door clicked shut in his wake and, a second later, a sonic boom rattled the windows.

Brilliant cliffhanger. clap Oh Clark, you just can't help yourself can you? dizzy

Looking forward to more! Soon, please! grovel

Last edited by cuidadora; 09/12/15 09:29 AM. Reason: typo

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Let's get down to it! clap

HiddenMoon - Thanks! I'm glad Lex is giving you such a visceral reaction. He's is creepy, but I think he's also over confident, which is why he's blind to how it looks when he shows up everywhere, or suddenly changes his clothes style. He knows she's been flattered by all his other attentions to date, so why wouldn't she be lured deeper by his constant invitations?

For Heavens' sake, the girl is finally falling in love with Clark Kent and you flirt with her as Superman?!
I really don't know what to do with this guy... *shakes her head*
LOL! Truly, I chortled when I read that. I can only assure you that he didn't mean to get flirty with her as Superman. As for how it all plays out, well, I guess you'll just have to keep reading. smile

cuidadora - Aw, thanks! blush I'm extremely happy that you enjoyed this part so much.

Searching for the tracking device and bugs was brilliant, and so in character for Lois when she's thinking like the investigative reporter she is. Looks like she knows he's not likely to give up so easily.
She does know that now. One of the ideas I wanted to explore with this story was how Lois would deal with Lex when she knows who he really is and what he's capable of -- and how Lex would deal with her when he knows that she knows. <insert evil chuckle>

Typical Lex to have to have the last word with Superman, whether or not he knows it was heard.
In my mind, he made that comment about Lois because he was certain that Superman would overhear it.

I assume if he could distance himself there wouldn't be 12 parts to this tale!
Very true -- this story would be twice as long if Clark could maintain that distance. wink

My thanks to everyone who's commented. You guys rock my world! sloppy

Ides of Metropolis
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Either this was the mother of all coincidences, or Lex somehow knew what she had said about him last night.
Naaaahhh…

"I believe it will be good for us to get away from Metropolis and spend time together in a more neutral setting."
So, his private island is a ‘neutral setting’?
LEX: confused But it got lots of white beaches! White is supposed to be a neutral color.

"It's not the setting, Lex." Lois pulled her hand from his grasp. "I've thought about your offer, a lot. But we're from two completely different worlds. I'm afraid my answer has to be no."

"Perhaps another time?" He reached for her hand again, but she moved it away.
He’s a tad obtuse, isn’t he?
LEX: In my experience, when I give someone the opportunity to reflect on his most recent behavior, they usually reconsider.
NIGEL: Very good, sir. Shall I start lowering Ms. Lucy Lane into the vat with boiling oil as usual?

His mouth tightened momentarily, and then his eyes closed, as if he was in pain.
Well, she did just give a major blow to his ego.

When he opened them again, she felt a stab of guilt at how bereft he looked.
Poor Lex.
Hmm…should I try to sound more sincere?
Poor Lex.
Nope, doesn’t work. Sooo-rry!

Could we begin again as friends?"

Lois stared at him, shocked into silence that a man as powerful as Lex Luthor wanted her friendship.
[Linked Image] Did she talk about friendship on the phone?
MC: And the Oscar for Best Normal Guy Act goes to…

I don't drop my guard easily, but I have with you, Lois." His hand lightly touched hers, but this time she didn't pull away.
Danger! Danger!
[Linked Image]

With shame, she realized that Lex had, on occasion, been relaxed and familiar.
LEX: It was my greatest performance to date!

He had been charming and flirtatious and had eaten ice cream straight from carton with her.
LEX: To be fair, I did hope that she’d invite me to stay. I even had had Nigel break into her apartment while she was still at the club and wash her sheets.

His thumb had stroked over the bare flesh of her upper arm when he said it, his voice soft and sultry. Their eyes had met for a moment and a shiver of pure desire had run through her.
sick

"I love you, Lois. I would do anything for you. Name it, and it's yours."

"…Whatever she wants, or needs, I'd do it. Clark's words came back to her in a rush. "Her happiness matters more than my own."
CLARK: wallbash

Across the table, Lex was still looking beseechingly at her. It was almost hypnotic,
[Linked Image]

He already used his wealth for philanthropy, bankrolling her exposes would merely be an extension of that altruism.
Right. But hey, maybe he’ll give her a typewriter and some paper to write an expose about how a billionaire once locked up a fair maiden in an Alpine fortress.

“We don't have to make any decisions today," he told her and picked up a menu. "Shall we order?"

"Actually, no" she said as she stood up quickly on shaky legs. "Something came up
Her breakfast?

So how in the heck had Lex known where to find her the past few days?
Maybe Superman was helping Lex? huh

In the end, she found sixty-seven cents in loose change, two pens, the pearl earring she'd lost months ago, and a crumpled straw wrapper, but not a single sophisticated little gizmo.
laugh

She used cuticle scissors to snip the lining open and found a small and cylindrical metal object, less than an inch long.
Wasn’t Arnie’s character in True Lies using a similar tracking device?

The prospect of going home was daunting. What if Lex hadn't stopped at simply bugging her phone and her purse, but was also monitoring her apartment? What if he had cameras there?
There’s a soap opera out there that used that premise for about quite some parts.

That's when it occurred to her that there might be one safe place available. It was also possible that Lex might not think to look there right away.
Something on Clinton Street?

The quirk of Luthor's smile instantly made Clark suspect the billionaire had somehow procured kryptonite and was setting fires simply to lure Superman close enough to test its effectiveness.
shock No way! That would be evil!

It dawned on her that now was the perfect time to do a little unauthorized snooping.
Isn’t it funny how the first thing she does when she feels safe from prying eyes is to snoop around another person’s privacy?

It was entirely possible that Clark had some memento or maybe a few love letters from his mystery girlfriend lying around.
Oh. Right. She’s jealous.
LOIS: Noisy.
Wonder what she’s going to do when she finds panties.
LOIS: mad Wait a second. Why does Clark have one of my panties?

She picked up the picture and couldn't help but smile. It was another picture from work. Clark obviously needed a wider social circle.
Wider than including just Lois and friends?

Looking at his pictures and trying out his mattress didn't even begin to rise to the level of tapping his phone and tracking his whereabouts.
That’s interesting reasoning for why it’s okay to be doing this.

Had he kissed his mystery woman yet? Had he touched her cheek when he did it?
[Linked Image]

Lois stumbled, half-blind as her vision blurred, in the direction of Clark's front door. She was on the second step when Superman took hold of her elbow.

"Lois, wait."

More than anything right now, she didn't want to start crying. Especially not in front of Superman.

"Come on, come sit down." His arm went around her waist, gently but firmly guiding her down the stairs and towards Clark's couch. He urged her to sit, then took a seat several inches away from her. "Tell me what's wrong."
He does seem a lot like Clark. I wonder…nah…

And then he showed up dressed in casual clothes for our lunch today."

Superman's eyes widened a little, but he didn't say anything. Lois felt encouraged that he wasn't dismissing her fears.

"See, the thing is, last night on the phone, Clark and I were kind of making fun of him for always being in a suit and tie. It just felt like too much of a coincidence."

Superman nodded.
Hmm…I wonder if Superman’s spying on Lois and Clark’s conversations…

She really hadn't wanted to stay, but once his arm was around her, he had been damn near impossible to resist.
Yes, if Superman doesn’t want you to leave, he can certainly make sure you don’t.

It would, however, be far too disconcerting to sleep there in her underwear. Or even, heaven forbid, nothing at all.
Yeah, that would be awkward, if Superman came home then.

She opened Clark's top dresser drawer and peeked inside.
Maybe one of his shirts?

Superman smiled and shook his head. "Not a chance. When he finds out you wore that to sleep in, he may never wash it again."
rotflol What’s his girlfriend going to say about that?

"Are you offering to stay here with me?"

Considering the last time Lois slept at his apartment.

Oh boy. So much for her wanting Clark.
LOIS: Why can’t I have some chocolate, too?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Having so much fun reading this story I don't know where to begin commenting! Hmmm, we should all have such problems!

"We are friends, aren't we?" he asked, his eyes anxiously searching hers. "Surely, we have that much between us. I don't drop my guard easily, but I have with you, Lois." His hand lightly touched hers, but this time she didn't pull away.

Lex is only pretending to be an open book. His only interest in Lois Lane is because Superman is interested in her, otherwise he wouldn't even know she was alive. Honestly, this is one of the rare times I have seen him be contrite. Refreshingly different!

Lois picked up the purse and dumped its contents onto the seat. She didn't see anything foreign amidst the objects that were hers. She started kneading the lining of the purse. It took her less than thirty seconds to find a lump in a seam at the bottom. She used cuticle scissors to snip the lining open and found a small and cylindrical metal object, less than an inch long. Her hands began to shake and she dropped it back into the purse as if it had bit her.

It was for real. She was being stalked by someone who wasn't exactly taking 'no' for an answer and had unlimited resources.

"…He's far more ruthless than you realize..."

Yes, if finding a tracking device in her purse doesn't convince her, nothing will.

Clark! dizzy When Lois discovers you were flirting with her as Superman she is going to be so mad!

Again, is it Thursday yet?

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I'm wide awake, totally giddy in a schoolgirl, really great fanfic sort of way, and have absolutely no interest in going to bed (and it's past 2! shock ).

So whatcha do in a situation like this? FDK!!! dance (And, very importantly, medicate with caffeine in the morning thumbsup ).

This-Was-Great! notworthy hail notworthy hail notworthy (picture this as a Smilie Guy type of 'Wave' ).

First off, we have:

"I don't just mean this weekend. I meant that I, uh, I can't marry you."

Thank Goodness! Whooo. Relief. She got it 'out there'. Big kudos to Lois in an intimidating situation.

"Have you?" It felt like her voice was coming from miles away as she searched her memory. With shame, she realized that Lex had, on occasion, been relaxed and familiar. There was the time he had been at the Metro Club when she was undercover. He hadn't blown her cover or done anything to give her away. Later that night she'd come home from a fight with Clark and Lex had shown up on her doorstep. He had been charming and flirtatious and had eaten ice cream straight from carton with her.

And then there was the time, only a few weeks ago, when terrorists took over the Planet and they had spent the night handcuffed to each other. During a quiet moment, as she lay with her head in his lap, he had enumerated all the things that money couldn't buy, and one of them had been "brown eyes." His thumb had stroked over the bare flesh of her upper arm when he said it, his voice soft and sultry. Their eyes had met for a moment and a shiver of pure desire had run through her.

But then...we had this wallbash dizzy thud. Sure, the ice cream scene was sorta cute. Yeah, the 'brown eye' comment had a little bit of of a snazzy zing to it. But stay focused, Lois. It's an act. A ploy. The man is a sociopath-previously-in-a-business-suit-and-now-in-golf-attire smile.

And speaking of golf attire...

The billionaire was dressed in khaki pants and a golf shirt, looking as though he had just stepped out of a sportswear catalog.

rotflol So hilarious--and so cluelessly ironic of Lex to do a 'makeover' 12 hours after overhearing their conversation. LOVE! hyper grin. Great writing, Sue.

Lois picked up the purse and dumped its contents onto the seat. She didn't see anything foreign amidst the objects that were hers. She started kneading the lining of the purse. It took her less than thirty seconds to find a lump in a seam at the bottom. She used cuticle scissors to snip the lining open and found a small and cylindrical metal object, less than an inch long. Her hands began to shake and she dropped it back into the purse as if it had bit her.

Well, that was officially the final nail in the coffin that would be Lois and Lex's relationship clap. There ain't no second-guessing now! Thank you very much, Lex.

On Clark's nightstand she found a black and white snapshot propped up against the base of the lamp. She picked up the picture and couldn't help but smile. It was another picture from work. Clark obviously needed a wider social circle. This one showed Lois sitting at her desk, her hands on the keyboard and her head turned, looking back at Clark who was standing behind her, one hand gesturing at her screen while his other hand rested on her shoulder. They both appeared to be laughing.

She had no idea when that picture had been taken; no idea that it even existed before this moment. Maybe it was from the day when Jimmy was experimenting with shutter speeds and had gone through about five rolls of film, taking pictures of pretty much every square inch of the newsroom.

Her stomach made a funny little lurch as she focused on Clark's smile and the obvious mirth in their expressions. God, she missed him! Lois sat down on his bed and took a longer look at the picture. She'd give almost anything to have him back in Metropolis at this moment. Maybe it was the day (week!) she'd had, but she really, really missed Clark at this moment. It was just her luck that it took him falling in love with someone else for her to realize how much she enjoyed his company. Now that she had Lex stalking her, she even missed Clark's annoying inclination to be protective of her. An odd aching sensation seemed to hollow out her chest at the thought that someone else now had a larger claim on his heart.

Lois put the picture back, replacing it carefully so that Clark wouldn't know she had been snooping. She meant to rise, but gave the bed a test bounce instead. There was absolutely zero chance that Clark would catch her, so she laid back, spreading her arms wide and staring up at his ceiling. Her gaze found the industrial beams that were probably his first glimpse of the world in the morning, assuming he could see them without his glasses.

A smile played over her lips at this stolen glimpse of Clark's personal life. A little tug of guilt went through her at the thought that she was sorta, kinda invading his privacy, but she brushed it away. Looking at his pictures and trying out his mattress didn't even begin to rise to the level of tapping his phone and tracking his whereabouts.

Unbidden, her thoughts turned to the memory of the time she and Clark had been undercover in the honeymoon suite at the Lexor. One moment she had been speaking, and the next she was sprawled across the bed with Clark's mouth on hers and his hand cupping her face. Lois touched her cheek, but it felt nothing like his caress had. Her lips parted slightly at the memory of his kiss. She'd been so shocked -- and so completely amazed by the gentle pressure of his mouth -- that she hadn't thought to protest. For a fleeting second or two she had even started to kiss him back before the maid came barreling in and Lois realized why Clark was kissing her.

I know, I pretty much highlighted the entire scene, but really, this is so sweet. Says so much.

One...about the man who lives in the apartment. That photo is probably--I'm guessing--the only picture of just the two of them Clark has at the moment. He hasn't won his Kerth yet, and that's when another nice picture of them, I belive, is taken. The fact that it's by his bed? Telling. I'm doubting those beams are the first/last thing Clark looks at while in bed wink.

And Two...Lois has it, bad smile. Still fairly clueless, but boy is she falling/has fallen for Clark. Those little aches. How MUCH she misses him. Where she finds her comfort.

"I never realized before how much Clark… That I, that he, uh…" Lois found herself suddenly unable to articulate a clear thought. Even worse, a tear came loose, rolling down her cheek. She quickly swiped at it with the back of her hand. "Did you know that he's head over heels in love with some woman who works at the Planet? And he won't tell me who she is, either."

'How much Clark....?' Lois, please finish that thought grovel. Yes, that paragraph above is not why you are currently at Clark's, but really, it's 'where' you are at right now.

"You really don't think Clark will mind?"

Lois laughed even as her cheeks grew warmer. "Then I hope it's not one of his favorites."

"I think it is, actually. Maybe we'd better not tell him." He nodded toward the closet. "Let me just grab a few things and I'll be out of your hair."

She watched him walk across the room, admiring the play of muscle beneath the tights and the regal sweep of the cape as he moved. Superman opened the closet and browsed past a couple of shirts before selecting a blue and white striped oxford. He turned and she took a step back as he went past her in the direction of the dresser. He opened the top drawer and took out the dark boxers.

What awesome banter clap. The bit about the t-shirt (Clark never washing it again if she sleeps in it) had me giggling with glee. Sure, 'Superman' is quite flirty here, BUT, this line was a great nod to 'Clark' and how much HE'D enjoy her wearing it--great job, Clark!

Oh--and the dark boxers! notworthy grin smile. Did Superman see Lois looking in his drawer (prior to him arriving and speaking with her)? Cause the fact that he'd pull them out...and right after her accidently stumbling onto them...yeeeaaaahhh--perfection hail.

Must convince myself that I need a few hours of sleep wink.

Lovely, Lovely. Can not wait for more!
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 09/15/15 04:46 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
clap Wheeeee! More FDK!

Michael - Lex, obtuse? Come on! He's just so used to getting his own way that it confuses him when someone balks. <g>

Did she talk about friendship on the phone?
I think so. Lois said that she couldn't really talk to Lex, couldn't make jokes with him, and couldn't picture just hanging out with him casually. That sure sounds like a good description of friendship to me.

Quote: With shame, she realized that Lex had, on occasion, been relaxed and familiar.
LEX: It was my greatest performance to date!
Actually, I actually believe that Lex was telling the truth in that moment. On rare occasions, he really had dropped his guard and was genuine with Lois. Part of his attraction to Lois is because he knows that Superman is attracted to her. That's more of a bonus to him. I think, deep down, he really is drawn to her on a personal level.

LEX: To be fair, I did hope that she’d invite me to stay. I even had had Nigel break into her apartment while she was still at the club and wash her sheets.
Yikes! That is so wrong and creepy -- and yet it sounds like something he'd do. <shudder>

I lol'd at the Kaa gif. And then I spent the rest of the morning humming, "trust in me, just in me…" to myself. smile

Quote:“We don't have to make any decisions today," he told her and picked up a menu. "Shall we order?"

"Actually, no" she said as she stood up quickly on shaky legs. "Something came up
Her breakfast?
Bwaaaaaa! lol

Wasn’t Arnie’s character in True Lies using a similar tracking device?
Ha! Yes! It was all the rage in early 90's spytech.

Isn’t it funny how the first thing she does when she feels safe from prying eyes is to snoop around another person’s privacy?
Well, it is Lois Lane that we're talking about here. wink

I'd bet that Lex has a pair, but not Clark.

That’s interesting reasoning for why it’s okay to be doing this.
Lois can rationalize anything. In this case, it's Clark's fault:
1) he left a key where she could use it
2) he won't tell her who he's in love with, leaving her no other choice but to snoop

He does seem a lot like Clark. I wonder…nah…
Now you're talking crazy! As if!

What’s his girlfriend going to say about that?
Ha! I should have had her wonder that!

Oh boy. So much for her wanting Clark.
Ah, but she's already come to the (sad) realization that she extrapolates every little moment with Superman into a romantic gesture. Old habits die hard, but she's much more realistic now.

Morgana - I'm glad you're having fun! I am, too! clap

Lex is only pretending to be an open book. His only interest in Lois Lane is because Superman is interested in her, otherwise he wouldn't even know she was alive. Honestly, this is one of the rare times I have seen him be contrite. Refreshingly different!
Like I told Michael above, I think Lex does have an attraction to Lois. So, while he is pretending to be so bereft, it is based on a semi-genuine emotion. Getting one over on Superman also factors into it. If he has to appear to be contrite to "win," then Lex can be contrite.

Yes, if finding a tracking device in her purse doesn't convince her, nothing will.
It certainly drove home the seriousness of her situation.

Clark! When Lois discovers you were flirting with her as Superman she is going to be so mad!
Are you sure she's going to find out he's Superman? lol

Laura - Sorry to keep you up so late!

Sure, the ice cream scene was sorta cute. Yeah, the 'brown eye' comment had a little bit of of a snazzy zing to it. But stay focused, Lois. It's an act. A ploy. The man is a sociopath-previously-in-a-business-suit-and-now-in-golf-attire.
I think the ice cream and the brown eyes comment were fleeting glimpses of the man Lex might have been, if he hadn't been corrupted by power. YMMV.

So hilarious--and so cluelessly ironic of Lex to do a 'makeover' 12 hours after overhearing their conversation. LOVE!
I can't really defend him there. I could say that he's trying to become what she wants, but his motives aren't all that pure.

There ain't no second-guessing now! Thank you very much, Lex.
Don't say he never did anything for you!

I know, I pretty much highlighted the entire scene, but really, this is so sweet. Says so much.

One...about the man who lives in the apartment. That photo is probably--I'm guessing--the only picture of just the two of them Clark has at the moment. He hasn't won his Kerth yet, and that's when another nice picture of them, I belive, is taken. The fact that it's by his bed? Telling. I'm doubting those beams are the first/last thing Clark looks at while in bed.
Yes, it is the only picture he has that's just them. Nice catch on whether it's the beams or the picture that he looks at last/first. thumbsup

'How much Clark....?' Lois, please finish that thought
I'll finish it for you: how much Clark means to me. laugh

The bit about the t-shirt (Clark never washing it again if she sleeps in it) had me giggling with glee. Sure, 'Superman' is quite flirty here, BUT, this line was a great nod to 'Clark' and how much HE'D enjoy her wearing it--great job, Clark!
I know it seems like that went right over her head, but I promise that it didn't.

Did Superman see Lois looking in his drawer (prior to him arriving and speaking with her)? Cause the fact that he'd pull them out...and right after her accidently stumbling onto them...yeeeaaaahhh--perfection.
He saw her looking in the drawer, but he has no way of knowing the direction her thoughts took. I figure that he only packed for a couple of days when Lex sent him to Miami. He really was there to get some clean clothes. Finding Lois there was a bonus.

Okay, I'm gonna be late for work, but at least my conscience is clear that I've replied to all you lovely people. laugh Thank you! sloppy

Ides of Metropolis
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yes, yes, I like Lois saying no. Like Lex is ever going to accept it, but at least she said it. Your writing was really good here, Sue - reminders of the times that he'd actually acted like... well, a human being. It helps me understand a time in the show that I've never been good at understanding - the 'why' of Lex and Lois at the end of S1. Her uncertainly, moments of 'well, maybe it wouldn't be so bad' (even though we as readers want her as far away as possible) do make sense.

She scrutinized the doors and the glove compartment, then opened the back hatch for inspection. In the end, she found sixty-seven cents in loose change, two pens, the pearl earring she'd lost months ago, and a crumpled straw wrapper, but not a single sophisticated little gizmo.

This stuff makes writing for me. That sentence could have easily been "Lois searched all over her car, but in the end, came up empty." Gets the point across, but it's nothing that I'd remember. But your sentence - I smiled because I could picture it, and even at the end of this part, I still remembered that she'd found 67 cents in change and her pearl earring after searching her car. Very well done.

I love that Lois went to Clark's apartment, because Clark = safety for her. I love the testing of the mattress, her thoughts about how much she missed him, and the straying of her mind back to the honeymoon suite and the interrupted, undercover kiss. I liked her conversation with Superman, even though I so wanted it to be Clark. As a reader, it's such fun torture to know that CK=S when Lois doesn't know yet. (and will she find out in this story? Hm.)

She supposed she could sleep on the couch, but she was feeling a growing anticipation at the idea of sleeping in Clark's bed.

An anticipation she'll keep for a lifetime. I laughed when you had her think that it might be the only time she'd get the chance to sleep in Clark's bed. Um... no. hehe. And also, get used to the dark boxers, Lois. (Again, good on the details, Sue!)

Loved part 4 - thanks for keeping to your Thursday schedule! My apologies for adding late to this thread, but rest assured that I'm reading and enjoying!

Tracey smile

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Come on! He's just so used to getting his own way that it confuses him when someone balks. <g>
LEX: See? Even the author believes it unthinkable that someone would not do as I say.

That's more of a bonus to him. I think, deep down, he really is drawn to her on a personal level.
Isn’t he cute? He uses Superman to hide the true reason for his feelings just like Lois is using Superman to hide her true feelings for Clark.
LEX: Soulmates!

Yikes! That is so wrong and creepy -- and yet it sounds like something he'd do. <shudder>
Thank you. Also…is it wrong to be happy to creep someone out?

I lol'd at the Kaa gif. And then I spent the rest of the morning humming, "trust in me, just in me…" to myself.
smile1

I'd bet that Lex has a pair, but not Clark.
laugh
CLARK: I do own a hidden closet where I put things that I like to keep hidden from burglaring reporters.

Lois can rationalize anything. In this case, it's Clark's fault:
1) he left a key where she could use it
2) he won't tell her who he's in love with, leaving her no other choice but to snoop
Do-oh!

Ah, but she's already come to the (sad) realization that she extrapolates every little moment with Superman into a romantic gesture. Old habits die hard, but she's much more realistic now.
So, it’s more a three-way relationship with Clark and Superman nowadays than one with two Supermen?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Oooh! I love to play catch up! clap

Tracey - Back when the show aired, even though I was predisposed to dislike Lex, I really enjoyed how John Shea played him as so charming, especially early in S1. It still seems more like a plot device that they had Lois actually almost marry him, but I can grudgingly find reasons/make excuses for it.

This stuff makes writing for me. That sentence could have easily been "Lois searched all over her car, but in the end, came up empty." Gets the point across, but it's nothing that I'd remember. But your sentence - I smiled because I could picture it, and even at the end of this part, I still remembered that she'd found 67 cents in change and her pearl earring after searching her car. Very well done.
Thank you! laugh I try not to blather on and on when I'm writing, but I agree with you that it's the details that can make or break a scene. Sometimes you have to take that extra sentence or two to put the reader in the story.

As a reader, it's such fun torture to know that CK=S when Lois doesn't know yet.
It really, really is! I'm not one for torturing her, but I do love to tweak her sense of thinking she knows it all every now and then. I will only smile at your wondering whether she finds out or not. laugh

An anticipation she'll keep for a lifetime. I laughed when you had her think that it might be the only time she'd get the chance to sleep in Clark's bed. Um... no. hehe. And also, get used to the dark boxers, Lois. (Again, good on the details, Sue!)
And sometimes it's fun just to mess with Lois, regardless of who she's mooning over. :P

Michael - Ha! Lex knows darn well that I won't do what he says. His version of this story was very, very different. wink

is it wrong to be happy to creep someone out?
Not in this context. But in RL, um, yes. Definitely yes.

So, it’s more a three-way relationship with Clark and Superman nowadays than one with two Supermen?
Intriguing! It also calls to mind a classic nfic. blush

Thanks to everyone for the comments! sloppy

Ides of Metropolis
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Intriguing! It also calls to mind a classic nfic.
Oh, indeed. I believe it was in the unofficial 5th Season by Wendy.

wave Michael

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Aww this is perfect! The lunch was a disaster but really it was just what I was hoping for. Now Lois knows just show creepy Lex is and knows for sure he’s tracking her. Love, love, love how Lois goes to Clark’s place even though he’s not home. How she thinking about how he’s in love with someone else and thinks about kissing him. Sigh! Superman dropping on Lois is the best!

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Eek! The lunch with Lex Luthor was fraught. I was nervous FOR Lois. It's interesting. When Lex was talking with Lois, I saw again the image of him staring down the cobra from the pilot episode. Lex's mystical juju was working on Lois, too, until she saw Owen out of the corner of her eye and it broke the spell. Thank goodness!

I'm glad that she turned down his proposal and made it clear that she didn't want to start again as friends or take things slower. Ah! And she found a tracking device in her purse. Not just sitting in her purse - sewn into the lining of her purse. That took some effort! And now Lois is completely freaked out. Who wouldn't be?
dizzy

I love it that Lois went to Clark's apartment to feel safe, that she snooped there, and that she started to fantasize about kissing Clark on his bed while there. Superman's timing stinks! razz Too soon, Clark! She needed a couple more minutes to realize that she was in love with you!

The conversations with Superman were interesting. I can't wait to get Clark's perspective ( in the next part?) on her tears, her confessions of being tailed/stalked/spied-on. I'm expecting a good-night phone call in the next part. Please don't disappoint!

grovel

Kerth
Kerth
Finally able to pop back into this.

Wow. Several big points were made in this chapter. Number one... I think you made me realize just a little bit of why Lois said yes in the show. We were mostly shown little bits of Lex throughout the series, and largely it was of him being evil, but the soft moments, the friendly moments-- those were very well pointed out here.

"Have you?" It felt like her voice was coming from miles away as she searched her memory. With shame she realized that Lex had, on occasion, been relaxed and familiar. There was the time he had been at the Metro Club when she was undercover. He hadn't blown her cover or done anything to give her away. Later that night she'd come home from a fight with Clark and Lex had shown up on her doorstep. He had been charming and flirtatious and had eaten ice cream straight from carton with her.

And then there was the time, only a few weeks ago, when terrorists took over the Planet and they had spent the night handcuffed to each other. During a quiet moment, as she lay with her head in his lap, he had enumerated all the things that money couldn't buy and one of them had been "brown eyes." His thumb had stroked over the bare flesh of her upper arm when he said it, his voice soft and sultry. Their eyes had met for a moment and a shiver of pure desire had run through her.
Very nice thing to point that out. Of course, then Lex takes a turn for the usual...

He gave her a patronizing smile. "If you change your mind, the offer to go away together still stands."
Aaaaaand, we're back to feeling squicky about Lex. *shivers* Also, a tracker in her purse?!?! shock I don't know why I'm shocked that Lex is evil, but I am. Well done.

From the inside of the limo, Luthor murmured, "I promise she'll never be yours, Superman. Never."
This is *so* Lex's voice that I heard John Shea in my head. Eery, but fantastic. Also, this whole confrontation between Superman and Lex was fantastic. The "mere mortals" line was excellent as well. I like to imagine the two of them interacting on the street got quite a few head turns as well.

Lois put the picture back, replacing it carefully so that Clark wouldn't know she had been snooping. She meant to rise but gave the bed a test bounce instead. There was absolutely zero chance that Clark would catch her so she laid back, spreading her arms wide and staring up at his ceiling. Her gaze found the industrial beams that were probably his first glimpse of the world in the morning, assuming he could see them without his glasses.
Another brilliant passage. I love that Lois is trying to snoop, even though Clark wouldn't mind at all her being in his place. I love that she wonders if she can see his ceiling without his glasses in the morning (hint: he does). And little does she know, he's about to catch her...

It would, however, be far too disconcerting to sleep there in her underwear. Or even, heaven forbid, nothing at all.
SUPERMAN: No, no, no! WHatever you're most comfortable in, Lois! Clark won't mind at all! drool

"That's a good color on you."

Lois nearly dropped the shirt in her surprise. She looked over to find Superman standing in the open doorway to Clark's patio. His arms were crossed over his chest and he was leaning with one shoulder against the doorframe. Either she was imagining it or the glint in his eye was further proof that he harbored deeper feelings than mere friendship for her. She wondered just how long he had been standing there.

Superman is being way too casual and sexy here. Maybe it's something automatic in the feeling of being home... Must look away, Lois, or you'll forget about those budding feelings for Clark and stare at his blue-clad biceps.

Superman smiled and shook his head. "Not a chance. When he finds out you wore that to sleep in he may never wash it again."
Hahahaha omg! So perfect I really don't have words... so many levels of great

When she looked up again he had folded Clark's underwear into the shirt. Lois shrugged. "Are you offering to stay here with me?"

In an instant his features changed from politely friendly to amusement as he chuffed out a surprised laugh. He grinned at her and shook his head. "It would take a stronger man than me, Lois."

shock angel-devil Superman! You're making us blush! And now she's not thinking the nice, dirty thoughts about Clark again!

Great chapter! On to number 5 (hopefully I'll have time tonight)

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard