Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Comments here, please! hyper The full story can be found here.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
The sad part about catching up? frown Waiting a week to read more! mecry...

Wow...yeah, 'loving this' would be far to inadequate of a thing to say. So so great. So so excited for more. And a really good solid week to go till another post? Settling in for a long wait.

I hate that Clark needs to collect 'local color'. Time kill to keep Clark away from Lois, huh? Argh Lex and his power over the paper. The fact that Clark's cell is at his desk only adds to the distance--nice touch, Lex.

But, at least Lois seems to be feeling the distance. She's missing Clark. Needs Clark. Is feeling what we all want her to feel in Clark's absense.

"If I knew where Clark was staying, I'd ask you to fly me there."

"You would?" Superman asked, his voice tinged with surprise.

"I really wish I could have talked to him," she whispered, more to herself than to Superman.

"About what?"

"I didn't even really get to say goodbye. It all happened so fast, you know? I mean, Lex dissolved our partnership without even consulting us. The more I think about that, the more frustrated it makes me." Lois stood up straight again. "In a perfect world, I'd still be partners with Clark."

Lois, you have no idea what this little bit of the story did for me!

I mean yeah, sure, she did try that last ditch 'perfect world' scenario with Superman--try one last time to bring them together--but really, she went to 'Clark'. What she needs. I'm so glad that Clark heard this, straight from her mouth. That he does matter. That she does miss him. That she is feeling some of what he is feeling at the moment.

"Don't be like that. Apparently the Planet's finances were abysmal. Lex says for the next little while we're going to have to do more with less."

"More with less? How does sending me to Miami fit in with that philosophy?"

"He's trying to save the paper."

"Riiiight." Clark wasn't even trying to hide his disbelief and it irked her.

Ding, ding ding. Irony! Saving money at the Planet...An exclusive interview in Miami (complete with extra days of 'color'). Makes no sense. At all. No way to 'spin' this. Love that Clark calls Lois out on this inconsistancy.

"Hardly. They're definitely saving money on the hotel."

"It's bad?"

"It's tiny, it's dirty, and whoever picked out the bedspread was colorblind."

Lois giggled, and it felt like she hadn't done so in ages. "Oh, Clark, I'm so sorry."

Clark was laughing, too, as he added, "I'm not sure what I did to your fiance, but I'm pretty sure he's punishing me for something. There isn't even a remote control for the television, just a pair of pliers to turn the TV on and off."

Lois laughed harder at Clark's description of his plight, even as an ache began to take hold inside her. Hearing his familiar answering laugh only drove home for her just how much she missed him. "Lex is not my fiance."

"I think he will be soon enough. You have to know that's why he really sent me to Florida."

"Why? Because he knows I'm secretly in love with you?"

Clark made a dismissive sounding chuckle. "If I thought that was true, I'd fly back to Metropolis tonight. No, it's because he knows I'm your voice of reason."

This part of the conversation was A+. Perfect. A-mazing!

The yuck that was Clark's room was such a funny back and forth. And yeah, I'm sure Lex is having a lot of fun knowing the type of place Clark us spending multiple days in. How it turned the discussion light-hearted, made them laugh, though...that was pretty special. They needed that moment.

I loved that Clark used the term 'fiance'. At first I was surprised to see it there...BUT--after I reread this part (a few times blush --it's really, really great), it hit home with me. Having Clark say that term...to Lois...when she is missing him. It's a biggie. It puts distance between Lois and her best friend, coming from her best friend. That does things. Hopefully it has some effect on Lois. Her first thought was to rebuff him, his statement. I liked that grin.

And to re-quote a quote shock...

Clark made a dismissive sounding chuckle. "If I thought that was true, I'd fly back to Metropolis tonight."

Okay. Favorite lines from Part 2. notworthy / clap / hyper / love !!!

Yeah, it's when they are teasing. Yeah, it's meant to be light-hearted. Yeah, this bit of conversation is just one BIT of a whole lot of conversation. But...it was there! dance

Lois had the thought. Clark gave probably his most honest statement of the story so far. BIG.

Did/does Lois gloss right over Clark's statement?!? Can she pretty, pretty please revisit the thought next chapter? grovel

Clark's letting something slip right there. There's definite interest--which, thinking of those looks he gives Lois with those chocolate eyes of his repeatedly in the series--she'd be blind to not know something along those lines right from when they first met.

Lois, you ARE that girl Clark is in love with!

Watching the clock tick by. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting.
Laura

......................................(yeah, still waiting wink ).

Last edited by LMA; 08/27/15 07:14 PM. Reason: chai tea latte deficit...yeah, still haven't made one.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I really enjoy your writing, Sue, and I'm excited to see a story from you! Even when I don't read much L&C fic anymore, you are always someone that can draw me back. Something about your writing reminds me what I love about these characters.

Plus, there are these beautiful descriptions that draw me into the story, like this one:

The view was breathtakingly beautiful. Across the street, the lanes crisscrossing Centennial Park were outlined by the soft yellow glow of streetlamps, giving the park the look of an enchanted fairy world. Lois folded her arms on the chest-high wall and rested her chin on them. She took several deep breaths, letting the night air clear both her lungs and her frustrations.

So pretty. I wanted Clark to show up on the balcony, too, and whisk her away from the dinner. Did like her conversation with Superman, though, especially when he was surprised when she asked how long it would take to fly her to Miami. So many layers, so many half-truths at this point in their relationship... it's frustrating, but I love this late S1 time period.

Best line for me? This one, because it's so very telling:

It struck her that while there were millions of people in Metropolis, it felt almost empty to her right now.

I mean, that says it all, doesn't it? Millions of people, but the one person she needs to be in Metropolis isn't there anymore (well, to her knowledge, anyway). The city is empty without Clark.

I'm so glad that they talked, though, and I loved their banter. Lois being jealous of Andrea flirting with him and when she missed his overprotectiveness... aw. Here's hoping that Lois starts to see Luthor for who he is now that Clark has planted the seed.

Sad that we need to wait until next week for another part, though! What if I plead the teacher-going-back-to-school card? I may need another part to help me get through the first week of school with 24 second graders!

Can't wait to read more!

Tracey smile

Kerth
Kerth
Absence makes the heart grow fonder...Lois is going to start realizing why she's missing Clark so much, but it remains to be seen when she figures out her own feelings. It was great that she's irritated at Lex's possessive touching and that she's irritated on Superman's behalf at all of the strangers who touch him.
A flare of disappointment shot through her, then a hazy sort of gratitude that at least he was letting her down gently.
That she's not devastated at being shot down is perfect...even she knows in her heart that a relationship with Superman really isn't in the cards. But then her thoughts shift to Clark, and while she's only seeing him as the best friend she's potentially losing as a result of their broken partnership, I have hope that she'll eventually see him in a new light.

Their phone conversation is fabulous. It has the zing and banter that I remember from the first season - Clark willing to call her out for things, Lois not backing down. It's the equality of their partnership that makes it special. It's somehow easier to be honest on the phone or online, when you don't have to look the person you're confronting in the eye. I think that being on the phone for this conversation allows both of them to speak honestly about their opinions. Sad that she hung up the phone, but first season Lois probably would have marched off in a huff anyway, even if they were having this discussion face to face. laugh

Waiting for more! grovel

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ooh! Part Two!

She should be feeling safe and cherished right now. Lex had barely left her side all night. His fingertips were constantly brushing along her arm or her shoulder, or his hand was planted firmly at her waist as he put his arm around her. And yet it didn't quite feel like affection to her. Lois couldn't shake the thought that Lex's new possessiveness was at least partially due to the guest of honor at tonight's charity event -- Superman.

A person can tell when someone is really affectionate or if it is an act. Luthor was never a touchy feely kind of person so Lois sensed right off the bat this was more about possession and competition than genuine love. It also says a lot about her feelings for him. His touch was annoying. If she was as deeply in love with him as she should be his touches would have been the prelude to something greater.

It was nearly one o'clock in the morning by the time Clark returned to Miami. He got into bed, only to find himself tossing and turning. He was too keyed up to fall asleep when all his thoughts were still in Metropolis. Had Lois made it home yet? Or was she still with Luthor? Had Luthor kissed her good night? Had she welcomed that kiss? Were they kissing right now? He could easily imagine them in the back of Luthor's limo, or outside Lois' door, or even inside her apartment with their arms wrapped around each other as they kissed deeply.

Oh Clark! I feel your pain! Go back to Metropolis and tell her who you are and how you feel! Maybe this time she won't be a lunkhead!

She arrived home that night frustrated and emotionally exhausted. Lois wandered restlessly around her apartment, eying the phone and willing it to ring. It was after ten o'clock and she was getting into bed, when the phone rang and she snatched it up.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Lois. It's me."

Her heart soared in relief. "Clark! Oh my god, I've been trying to reach you all day!"

"Why? What's happened?"

Despite the fact that they were mad at each other this conversation give us an understanding of the openness of their relationship. Could Lois have this kind of honest communication with Lex? Never.

Loving this story! Keep posting!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I love seeing Lois' thoughts before her conversation with Superman. She's personally debunking all of her reasons to accept Lex's proposal. Financial security? That her job and those of her friends are saved should make her happy, but it doesn't. Enjoys Lex's company? No, his touch is annoying her.

No, Lois. You would not be crazy to turn him down. Marrying him will make you miserable.

As much as she hated to admit it, Clark was right; she really didn't know Superman very well. A few fleeting rescues and one hell of a stolen kiss didn't a relationship make. She had no idea where he lived, or if he even had a home. She had never spent more than twenty minutes at a time in his company.

This is huge at this stage in the story. To have Lois realize that Clark was right about her relationship with Superman before she accepts Luthor's proposal will [hopefully] give her the space she needs to see Luthor for what he is.

In her defense, though, once you were touching Superman's bicep, it was nearly impossible not to linger.
/me giggles. Love that. And Clark kind of knows it too. His flexing for Tiffani (?) in the red Kryptonite episode comes to mind.

Oh, you are a master of the little details, like when Superman's cape brushes against Lois' ankle. It brings so much richness to your stories. notworthy

I mean, Lex dissolved our partnership without even consulting us. The more I think about that, the more frustrated it makes me."
Yay. Keep this up, Lois. The thinking, I mean. wink

Sadness filled her at the thought that her life and Clark's were going to travel different trajectories from now on. It was never going to be the same between them again.

Lois shook her head slightly and gave Superman a wistful smile.
Argh! I wanted her to voice those thoughts, but we're back to not being able to communicate. Of course, this is with Superman, not her best friend, so I guess I shouldn't expect her to spill her inmost thoughts. Plus, it might have cut several chapters off of your story. goofy

I also loved the banter and the subtle revelations throughout Lois and Clark's phone call. Surely, if Lois is astute enough to catch Clark using the present tense when talking about the woman he fell in love with, she can catch his declaration here and put the two together!

Okay, true to canon, Lois got off the call in a huff. But the best part happened after:
What if Clark's right?
Oh, it's possible, her mind whispered. But is it plausible?
But, what if? her mind persisted. What if?

A rational, thinking Lois is exactly what Luthor is trying to destroy. So glad to see he isn't getting what he wants.

It made me giggle though as she argued in her own mind. I got an image of stalker!Clark hovering outside her apartment window, using his telepathic powers to convince her that Luthor isn't what he seemed.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Her entire world felt off-kilter, but Lois couldn't quite articulate why. She should be enjoying herself. For the past two hours she had been wined and dined along with Metropolis' most powerful and influential citizens, including an extremely attentive Lex Luthor.
It’s called ‘having a bad feeling about this’. Just like on Endor. On an unrelated note… /marks 3 1/2 months on calendar/ It had better be good…

Losing her partnership with Clark was a small price to pay for that kind of security.
/cocks eyebrow/

And they still worked together; just maybe not as closely as before. Why in the world did that make her feel so forlorn?
Mayhaps cause she will see him again in postcard form a couple of weeks after her honeymoon and then again when he is returned in a shoebox after he does an undercover assignment in the Congo?

She should be feeling safe and cherished right now. Lex had barely left her side all night. His fingertips were constantly brushing along her arm or her shoulder, or his hand was planted firmly at her waist as he put his arm around her.
Okay, maybe ‘safe and cherished’ isn’t the right word. Maybe more like Leia did in Jabba’s palace?
CLARK: She does have a golden bikini!

She should be feeling safe and cherished right now.
[…]
And yet it didn't quite feel like affection to her. Lois couldn't shake the thought that Lex's new possessiveness was at least partially due to the guest of honor at tonight's charity event -- Superman.
Aaaahh…I was wondering. Lex does want to keep her cherry safe.

It hardly seemed worth the effort Lex was putting into his displays of affection since Superman had barely glanced in their direction all night.
CLARK: I prefer to have Superman not throw up in public during charity events. Makes people think Superman’s imbibing too much.

The supermodel had even gone so far as to pat Superman's chest right where his 'S' was.
laugh

Something about his demeanor made Lois think it wasn't the first time someone had tried to get personal with him.
CLARK: I’ve had plenty of experience with Lois getting close and personal with me.

Lois wondered how Superman could stand it.
CLARK: It’s torture. But I do manage.
ICEBERGS: help

To be mauled, however gently, by total strangers had to be unnerving.
Rubbing a Kryptonian’s chest is good fortune.
TYRION: Yeah, Kryptionian’s get their bodies rubbed and dwarves their head. Life just isn’t fair.
PROSTITUTE: I’ll rub your body for a silver stag.

She wondered if Clark's plane had landed in Miami yet and how long he'd be gone.
Yes. And he’s back already.

She had no idea where he lived, or if he even had a home.
Maybe if she offered her spare bedroom?

She was chagrined to realize that she, too, had freely groped Superman on occasion. In her defense, though, once you were touching Superman's bicep, it was nearly impossible not to linger.
RALPH: Hey! When I used that excuse during the sexual harassment hearing, the judge almost slapped me before having me hauled off in attempt of the court.

But maybe that only meant that she was no better than any of his other groupies.
Hmm… ‘gropies’?

"I was surprised to see you here tonight," Superman said. "From what I understand, it was a $500 a plate dinner."
She had a benefactor. And so did he.

"And what do you want?"
[Linked Image]

"I don't know. I mean, in a perfect world, the answer would probably be you."
shock

"Unfortunately," he said quietly, "we aren't living in a perfect world."
thud

A flare of disappointment shot through her, then a hazy sort of gratitude that at least he was letting her down gently.
Maybe she needs a subtext dictionary? He basically admitted that he’d love nothing more than to show her how to behave in this rooftop park if they were over yonder.

He half-smiled and shook his head. "Not every night, no. But I don't mind showing up when it's a worthy cause."
Like Lex trying to secure outside funding for his name-branded charity efforts?

"Does it bother you to have people constantly touching you like that?" Lois tilted her head to gauge his reaction. "Or are you used to it?"
I guess it’s like it’s for a stripper, huh? It’s part of the job and like most strippers, he probably doesn’t have many alternatives.

"Maybe they think your powers will rub off on them."
To be fair…

He shook his head slightly. "Unfortunately, I don't think that's likely to happen."
*Un*fortunately?

Had Luthor kissed her good night? Had she welcomed that kiss? Were they kissing right now? He could easily imagine them in the back of Luthor's limo, or outside Lois' door, or even inside her apartment with their arms wrapped around each other as they kissed deeply.
sick

The possibility that they might be more than friends wasn't one that Lois seemed likely to entertain. It really wasn't a perfect world.
Isn’t it great how well those two communicate?

Perhaps he was just clever and obsessed enough to speculate about why Superman was suddenly active in Miami at the same time Clark Kent was there.
Maybe Superman and Clark Kent are more than just friend? Maybe Lois is just a beard for them?

When that turned up nothing, Olivia suggested that maybe the arrangements had been made through Lex Corp. All Lois' calls to Lex Corp in search of anyone who knew how to contact Clark were in vain.
One might almost think that Lex is deliberately trying to keep them apart. Nah…

When she finally paused for more than a second, Clark asked, "What about you? How are you doing?"
She’s now the official coffee fetcher for Chip?
http://tvline.com/2015/01/01/marvels-agent-carter-premiere-video/

"At least give him a chance!" Lois shot back. "I thought you were all about giving people the benefit of the doubt."
Is the devil ‘people’?

"Apparently I'm supposed to stay down here for a few more days and get some local color or something."
But he already got a tan?

"Local color? Does that mean you're going to hang out on the beach and get tan?"
laugh

"It's tiny, it's dirty, and whoever picked out the bedspread was colorblind."
No, those spots aren’t ‘color’.

Lois giggled
Because she imagines the bedspread looking like a steamroller flattened one of Clark’s ties?

Clark was laughing, too, as he added, "I'm not sure what I did to your fiance
Hit on his fiancée?

Clark made a dismissive sounding chuckle. "If I thought that was true, I'd fly back to Metropolis tonight.
And I’m guessing she’s going to not take that one seriously.

"Ha." Lois sighed and settled deeper into her pillow. "Fifty dollars says I'm still alive when you get back."
rotflol She didn’t mention ‘and well’ though. So Lex *could* carry her off into his alpine fortress and…well…

"So what are you working on now? I'll tell you if it's dangerous or not."
Lex Luthor.
CLARK: shock

"Excelsior International? Aren't they one of LexCorp's biggest competitors?"
Huh, who’d have thunk…

He was like the big brother that she had never asked for and only sorta wanted.
CERSEI: Just like me!
JAMIE: To be fair, she’s older than me, so it’s more like the little brother she always sorta wanted.

"Speaking of being ruled by your emotions, did you get a chance to tell her goodbye?"

"Who?"

"Your mystery woman?
laugh

Even so, he still found time to pick my pocket and steal my phone."
LEX: Cross-state calls are expensive with mobile phones and the Planet must save money.

"Okay, let me revise that. Owen picked my pocket and put the phone in my desk."

"Do you hear yourself? Are you paranoid much?"
It’s not paranoia if there really is someone out to get you.

"Lois, when was the last time I left my phone behind? I keep it with me. You know that."
What if Lois calls him while Superman’s standing next to her?
CLARK: [Linked Image]

"First of all, just being nice to someone is not flirting. And, second of all, I'm not in love with Andrea. I barely even know her."
So it’s just a meaningless office fling on the side?

"And if I guess correctly, will you tell me?"

After another pause, Clark cleared his throat and said, "I guess so, yes."
Easy promise?

"Careful? What, you think she's going to scratch my eyes out in a jealous rage?"
clap And no, he’s talking about using protection since Lex has been who knows with whom.

He's killed people he thought were in his way."
But isn’t that against the law?
LEX: confused

but he wasn't power hungry by anyone's estimation.
NOR: See? Defective heir.

"What?" Her voice squeaked in shock. "Why in the world would Lex want to destroy Superman?"
Because he’s better than Lex.
LEX: Now, wait a minute. That’s just plain *rude*. Besides it not being true. He’s *not* better than me. He just got more brute strength. Like a gorilla. Would I be jealous of a gorilla?
GRODD: wave
LEX: Oh, shut up!

The idea of anyone, especially Lex, bent on destroying Superman was beyond insane.
TRASK: wave
LOIS: Fine, anyone still *alive*!

"Bye." Lois hung up before he could say anything else insulting.
/points at title/

Jealous that he's not rich or powerful. He can't fly his girlfriend off to Europe for dinner, so he's being petty.
CLARK: To be fair, ‘can’t’ and ‘won’t’ are two very different things.

Or he's insane. He'd have to be insane to say that Lex kills people and is out to kill Superman, just because.
LEX: She’s right. I don’t kill people just because. I do it for sport. Or because they’re in the way. Or because it’s an accident. But I always have a good reason, not just because someone’s a random dude out on the street and I want to test out my new gun. Which would be a good reason, actually…

she and Clark disagreed with each other on an almost hourly basis.
Foreplay?

No. It wasn't plausible. Lex had countless ways to achieve his goals; he didn't need to kill people to achieve them. He certainly didn't need to kill Superman.
LEX: Sometimes it’s the most efficient way?

But, what if? her mind persisted. What if?
hyper

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Howdy, howdy! wave

Laura - A week is nothing. It'll go by like <snaps fingers> that!
I hate that Clark needs to collect 'local color'. Time kill to keep Clark away from Lois, huh? Argh Lex and his power over the paper. The fact that Clark's cell is at his desk only adds to the distance--nice touch, Lex.
Lex always has a plan. Always. And a contingency for everything in that plan.
I mean yeah, sure, she did try that last ditch 'perfect world' scenario with Superman--try one last time to bring them together...
Well, since they don't have the conversation in the park when she hands Clark his heart on a platter, she has to find another way to sound out her favorite superhero on his feelings.
Ding, ding ding. Irony! Saving money at the Planet...An exclusive interview in Miami (complete with extra days of 'color'). Makes no sense. At all. No way to 'spin' this. Love that Clark calls Lois out on this inconsistancy.

There is no way to spin that -- and it's going to become more and more obvious to her as their enforced separation goes along.
The yuck that was Clark's room was such a funny back and forth. And yeah, I'm sure Lex is having a lot of fun knowing the type of place Clark us spending multiple days in. How it turned the discussion light-hearted, made them laugh, though...that was pretty special. They needed that moment.
Part of the fun in writing this was having them truly be friends and getting to hang out with them (so to speak). We infer all the time in stories that they're best friends but we never really get to see much of it. This story is, at its most basic, a series of conversations between our heroes as they rely on that friendship to strengthen them through the hard times.

Also, no kidding, I've stayed in that hotel room! It was in Las Vegas in 1988 or '89, at a place that has long since been torn down called the Bali Hai. It was the absolute worst hotel room I've ever been in (and I've stayed in some real dives over the years). The box springs were on cinder blocks, the tub was rusted, the TV had pliers clamped to it to turn it off and on, and all night long there was a pink and blue neon sign just outside the window that blinked over and over. No use shutting the blinds, they were mangled beyond repair. Good times!
I loved that Clark used the term 'fiance'. At first I was surprised to see it there...BUT--after I reread this part (a few times --it's really, really great), it hit home with me. Having Clark say that term...to Lois...when she is missing him. It's a biggie. It puts distance between Lois and her best friend, coming from her best friend. That does things. Hopefully it has some effect on Lois. Her first thought was to rebuff him, his statement. I liked that .
I think Clark liked hearing her say that Lex wasn't her fiance. He needled her on purpose, just to get a rise (and a protest) out of her.
Did/does Lois gloss right over Clark's statement?!? Can she pretty, pretty please revisit the thought next chapter?
I'll end your suspense -- she doesn't brood about it at all. smile
Clark's letting something slip right there. There's definite interest--which, thinking of those looks he gives Lois with those chocolate eyes of his repeatedly in the series--she'd be blind to not know something along those lines right from when they first met.
She does recognize (privately) that he was attracted to her when they first started working together, but that's turned into a comfortable friendship and he's now in love with someone else (she thinks). Which is another reason why it doesn't register when he teases her that he'd fly back that night if he thought she was in love with him. He's teasing, and she knows it, so she doesn't examine it for deeper meaning.

Tracey - Another blast from the past! Welcome back! wave
I really enjoy your writing, Sue, and I'm excited to see a story from you! Even when I don't read much L&C fic anymore, you are always someone that can draw me back. Something about your writing reminds me what I love about these characters.
Wow! Thanks! blush Seriously, that is very sweet of you to say. sloppy
So pretty. I wanted Clark to show up on the balcony, too, and whisk her away from the dinner. Did like her conversation with Superman, though, especially when he was surprised when she asked how long it would take to fly her to Miami. So many layers, so many half-truths at this point in their relationship... it's frustrating, but I love this late S1 time period.
He couldn't show up as Clark, but he did the next best thing. All those layers and half-truths are what makes writing fanfic so much fun! I love late S1 and early S2 precisely because they've truly become friends at that point (and there's all that unresolved sexual tension (UST), too!).
I mean, that says it all, doesn't it? Millions of people, but the one person she needs to be in Metropolis isn't there anymore (well, to her knowledge, anyway). The city is empty without Clark.
Yes! And, to her way of thinking, it's not really going to get any better when he returns and starts hanging out with his secret love. It feels like the end of an era to her.
I'm so glad that they talked, though, and I loved their banter. Lois being jealous of Andrea flirting with him and when she missed his overprotectiveness... aw. Here's hoping that Lois starts to see Luthor for who he is now that Clark has planted the seed.
She's really going to miss Clark (and his overprotectiveness) as we get further into the story -- possibly as that seed starts to take root…

Good luck with your second graders!

Susan - You get a medal for how many frickin' times you've read this part (and all the others) and yet you're still enthusiastic. Thank you! notworthy
That she's not devastated at being shot down is perfect...even she knows in her heart that a relationship with Superman really isn't in the cards.
You can't blame a girl for trying, though. wink
It has the zing and banter that I remember from the first season - Clark willing to call her out for things, Lois not backing down. It's the equality of their partnership that makes it special.
That's what I loved most about the first season -- they both had a lot of backbone, especially when it came to dealing with each other.
It's somehow easier to be honest on the phone or online, when you don't have to look the person you're confronting in the eye. I think that being on the phone for this conversation allows both of them to speak honestly about their opinions. Sad that she hung up the phone, but first season Lois probably would have marched off in a huff anyway, even if they were having this discussion face to face.
Oh, yeah. She definitely would have marched away in a snit if they'd had that conversation face to face. laugh

Morgana - Ooh! More feedback from you! hyper
A person can tell when someone is really affectionate or if it is an act. Luthor was never a touchy feely kind of person so Lois sensed right off the bat this was more about possession and competition than genuine love. It also says a lot about her feelings for him. His touch was annoying. If she was as deeply in love with him as she should be his touches would have been the prelude to something greater.
Exactly! clap
Oh Clark! I feel your pain! Go back to Metropolis and tell her who you are and how you feel! Maybe this time she won't be a lunkhead!
Until he's more certain about her feelings for Luthor, and for himself, I can't see him saying anything. It's kind of a Catch-22, isn't it? smile
Despite the fact that they were mad at each other this conversation give us an understanding of the openness of their relationship. Could Lois have this kind of honest communication with Lex? Never.
It does rather strain the imagination to try and picture it. laugh

Brenda - And you're back! clap
I love seeing Lois' thoughts before her conversation with Superman. She's personally debunking all of her reasons to accept Lex's proposal. Financial security? That her job and those of her friends are saved should make her happy, but it doesn't. Enjoys Lex's company? No, his touch is annoying her.

No, Lois. You would not be crazy to turn him down. Marrying him will make you miserable.
We can only hope that she reaches that same conclusion. wink
This is huge at this stage in the story. To have Lois realize that Clark was right about her relationship with Superman before she accepts Luthor's proposal will [hopefully] give her the space she needs to see Luthor for what he is.
smile1 That's all I have to say about that.
/me giggles. Love that. And Clark kind of knows it too. His flexing for Tiffani (?) in the red Kryptonite episode comes to mind.
LOL! Yeah, like that. lol
Oh, you are a master of the little details, like when Superman's cape brushes against Lois' ankle. It brings so much richness to your stories.
Thank you! blush It only occurs to me now that it should have occurred to Lois to realize that, while everyone at the party is trying to get close to Superman, she's the only person with whom he deliberately gets close. Close enough that his cape ends up brushing her ankle. laugh
Argh! I wanted her to voice those thoughts, but we're back to not being able to communicate. Of course, this is with Superman, not her best friend, so I guess I shouldn't expect her to spill her inmost thoughts. Plus, it might have cut several chapters off of your story.
I'm all for cutting off chapters! The shorter, the better, IMHO. But since she's realizing that she doesn't really know Superman that well, it would be wrong to have her start confessing everything.
I also loved the banter and the subtle revelations throughout Lois and Clark's phone call. Surely, if Lois is astute enough to catch Clark using the present tense when talking about the woman he fell in love with, she can catch his declaration here and put the two together!
Like I told Laura, she thinks he's kidding so she doesn't examine that statement for deeper meaning. Sometimes sarcasm hides the truth, it certainly did for Clark.
A rational, thinking Lois is exactly what Luthor is trying to destroy. So glad to see he isn't getting what he wants.

Not in my story, he won't!

Michael - Hey! It's cruel of you to tease me with Star Wars and GoT when they're both MONTHS away from any kind of resolution! razz
Maybe if she offered her spare bedroom?
Ah, the elusive spare bedroom. It was there in S1, and then seems to disappear in S2. Very odd. Someone should alert Rod Serling about it.
Hmm… ‘gropies’?
LOL! Lois could definitely be the president of that club. smile
She had a benefactor. And so did he.
OMG! Suddenly I have this mental image of Superman arriving on the arm of Arthur Chow…
Like Lex trying to secure outside funding for his name-branded charity efforts?
Yeah, you gotta love how all of Lex's good deeds involve a great deal of publicity.
I guess it’s like it’s for a stripper, huh? It’s part of the job and like most strippers, he probably doesn’t have many alternatives.
Bwaaaa! He's not earning any tips, either, the poor guy. It's too bad someone didn't take a young Superman aside and explain to him that he should stay in school so he'd have more options. razz
*Un*fortunately?
At this point he doesn't know yet that a large electrical current can transfer his powers. And his "unfortunately" was meant as sympathy for all those deluded souls who might actually be hoping that his powers could rub off on them. smile
One might almost think that Lex is deliberately trying to keep them apart. Nah…
Not Lex! He believes in share, and share alike.
No, those spots aren’t ‘color’.
I laughed and I cringed at the same time! And then again when you implied that Lois was currently "working" on Lex. Yikes!
LEX: Cross-state calls are expensive with mobile phones and the Planet must save money.
It would have been cheaper to call her on his cell, but Owen lifted it. Nope, Clark is calling directly from the room, and that's going to rack up some charges.
NOR: See? Defective heir.
LOL!

Thank you all for the kind comments! They are very, very much appreciated! sloppy

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Ides of Metropolis
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Hey! It's cruel of you to tease me with Star Wars and GoT when they're both MONTHS away from any kind of resolution!
[Linked Image] I was going for shared suffering? Didn’t realize that lead to anger it would wink [Linked Image] But I *am* thinking of making a chocolate calendar for the remaining wait period. Sadly, I’m not sure there’s enough chocolate out there. help

Ah, the elusive spare bedroom. It was there in S1, and then seems to disappear in S2. Very odd. Someone should alert Rod Serling about it.
laugh Maybe Lois played a little Cask of Amontillado with Lex?

OMG! Suddenly I have this mental image of Superman arriving on the arm of Arthur Chow…
rotflol
CHOW: What? He looks just like some of the strippers I date. What with the skintight outfits and all that.

Bwaaaa! He's not earning any tips, either, the poor guy. It's too bad someone didn't take a young Superman aside and explain to him that he should stay in school so he'd have more options.
rotflol They never do teach royal heirs real world job skills, do they? Aside from being in the military.

Not Lex! He believes in share, and share alike.
LEX: One part for me. One part for yours truly. One part for me. One part for yours truly.

I laughed and I cringed at the same time! And then again when you implied that Lois was currently "working" on Lex. Yikes!
smile1

On to part 3!
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Top Banana
Top Banana
Sue- No, I'm not waiting for a month. grin I, too, wanted Lois to pick up on Clark's remark about flying back, although I understand why she didn't. I have faith that missing her friend and feeling jealous of his mystery love will lead Lois to, as they say in Jane Austin novels, examine her own heart.

Michael-I need to stop reading your feedback on my iPad in bed; I'm liable to wake my husband up with my giggling.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Michael - Geez, I apologize! I thought I had replied to your reply. blush

Maybe Lois played a little Cask of Amontillado with Lex?
Ha! Now there's a story idea! laugh

They never do teach royal heirs real world job skills, do they? Aside from being in the military.
No, I guess they don't. lol And he is top of the list to rule New Krypton…

HappyGirl - So glad you decided not to wait!

I have faith that missing her friend and feeling jealous of his mystery love will lead Lois to, as they say in Jane Austin novels, examine her own heart.
Indeed! I believe his absence will make her little heart grow much fonder.

Thanks, guys! sloppy

Ides of Metropolis
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Geez, I apologize! I thought I had replied to your reply.
Yeah, I know that feeling. Sometimes it's hard to keep track of everything smile
And he is top of the list to rule New Krypton…
...and marry their princess.
LOIS: cat

wave Michael

Kerth
Kerth
Another great chapter! The Superman banquet was perfect and well thought out. Clark had to hear those things from Lois, and I think that's going to help him a lot when dealing with Lois and his feelings for her more in the future (at the very least, it's far less hurtful way to deal with her feelings for Superman here in this context than in the series).

Also again got blech feelings towards Lex after learning the bodyguard pick-pocketed Clark's phone. sick Lex is evil, I know this, but that's so dastardly.

Love that Clark still found a way to call, and hopefully that thought about Lex going after Superman is enough to get Lois' investigative brain into gear.

Ready for part 3!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Hi again, Mouserocks! wave

Clark had to hear those things from Lois, and I think that's going to help him a lot when dealing with Lois and his feelings for her more in the future (at the very least, it's far less hurtful way to deal with her feelings for Superman here in this context than in the series).

Yes, they're both letting each other down easier.

Lex is evil, I know this, but that's so dastardly.

Heh. Lex is just warming up...

Love that Clark still found a way to call, and hopefully that thought about Lex going after Superman is enough to get Lois' investigative brain into gear.

She'll get there. It's always hard to admit you were wrong or your judgement was off (especially for Lois).

Thanks for the comments! sloppy

Ides of Metropolis
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Part 2 is full of goodies! Love how Lois doesn’t like Lex’s possessiveness and her conversation with Superman about touch totally nailed it! Sorry, I can’t use quotes as I’m writing this from my phone. I just love Lois and Clark’s phone call even though she walks away thinking he’s jealous, there’s lingering doubt. Could he be right?

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Full of goodies, indeed! I'm glad you enjoyed the Superman and the Clark conversations with Lois. Imagining dialogue between them is my favorite way to waste time and it's always nice to know that someone else enjoys reading it. laugh

Thanks!

Ides of Metropolis

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard