Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
(Shall I mention how embarrassed I am to post stuff from the Daily Mail? I don't read it on a regular basis, I swear! :P)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ast-revealing-secret-superhero-feud.html

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
Top Banana
Top Banana
I didn't think much of the idea of this film when I first heard about it, but the more trailers I see and interviews I read, the more awesome it looks.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I'm with Annie. The first teaser trailer I saw looked entirely too grim for my tastes. I don't know whether it's just that I've had time to put it in a proper perspective, whether I have downwardly adjusted my expectations, or whether the new footage in this trailer has changed my mind -- I suspect it is a combination of all three -- but I am definitely more hopeful about the movie than I had been when I saw the first trailer. Although I had wished for this movie to be a *Clark Kent (and Superman)* movie rather than an assemble-the-Justice-League movie, I am glad that they are making it refer back to MoS. I hope they go a lot more into Clark's personal reactions and emotions arising from the events of that movie (especially of Zod's death), but whether or not they do, at least they are going into the world's reactions to it.

Since the movie is opening in March, I probably wouldn't be able to see it in the theatre, even if I wished to. (I can only see movies when my son is in school and I am not, since I don't have anyone to provide me with respite.) I will, however, be eager to hear people's reactions, and I am now thinking it quite possible that I'll buy it once it is available for downloading.

Thank you for sharing that link, HiddenMoon.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
Ugh! Lex both looks and sounds awful! I like the premise, though - it's exactly what my son and I thought when we saw MOS: how is he getting away with all the wanton distruction? Doubt I'll go see it though - we both agreed that MOS was a waste of time...and we saw it for free on an airplane!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Interesting premise. But so far, I am NOT impressed with the casting on Lex.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I like the new preview as it shows us what some of the plot will be. It explains a bit more of Bruce's anger with Superman and shows Jeremy Irons as Alfred's voice of reason in his despair. I'm glad that the destruction of Metropolis isn't being discounted or ignored.

I don't quite understand this Lex. Literally. Is he mumbling on purpose? He appears to be a creepy rich teenager type with too much power (i.e. wealth), who enjoys hurting others because he has nothing better to do. I can't take this character seriously; although, those are usually the ones who are the most dangerous. The ones you want to laugh and roll your eyes at for being so ridiculous that you can't believe anyone would take them seriously, who usually end up with the huge cult following (stress on CULT).

Did I mishear/misread or did the note that Bruce held say something about Superman being responsible for the death of Bruce's family? Did THIS Bruce Wayne have a wife and the daughter (he seems to be holding in the flashback of the destruction of Metropolis) who died? Is this the catalyst for him to become (or become again after retirement) Batman?

Nice to see Holly Hunter again. She makes a good smarmy pundit.

Let's hope there's more to Lois's character than what they showed in the preview, which seemed to be as Clark's girlfriend. /cue eye rolls/

And I got all that from one viewing of the preview. laugh

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Let's hope there's more to Lois's character than what they showed in the preview, which seemed to be as Clark's girlfriend. /cue eye rolls/
That was one of the MANY objectionable things in MOS for me...she was Superman's girlfriend, not Clark's. I'm not a Superman fan - I'm a Lois and Clark fan. And it's easy to understand why...the fundamental choice that DJL made - this was a show about the adult relationship between Lois and Clark...Clark was the real person. I couldn't stand it when Lois was fawning over Superman in MOS...of course, I couldn't stand most of that movie, because it was everything that L&C is not. So I can't imagine wasting either my time or money on a version of Lois and Clark that I fundamentally don't believe in.

Even the scene between Martha and Superman feels wrong - it's just doesn't have that homey feeling that K and Eddie and Dean brought to the roles. There just feels like a disconnect on screen, that these characters don't relate to each other in the right way.

Love John Shea's portrayal, drool over Michael Rosenbaum...so WTF did I see on screen in this trailer??!! Don't understand this Lex (based on the admittedly limited info offered) at all.

I'm wondering if "family" is referring to the Wayne Enterprises family (i.e. everyone working for the company) that was killed rather than the literal meaning of the word. If people personally close to Bruce were killed in the outrageously unjustifiable destruction caused in MOS, then of course that would be a powerful motivating factor for the bizarrely-cast Ben Afleck to work through (can't see him as Batman at all...though I could potentially buy him as Bruce).

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by groobie
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
That was one of the MANY objectionable things in MOS for me...she was Superman's girlfriend, not Clark's. I'm not a Superman fan - I'm a Lois and Clark fan. And it's easy to understand why...the fundamental choice that DJL made - this was a show about the adult relationship between Lois and Clark...Clark was the real person. I couldn't stand it when Lois was fawning over Superman in MOS...of course, I couldn't stand most of that movie, because it was everything that L&C is not. So I can't imagine wasting either my time or money on a version of Lois and Clark that I fundamentally don't believe in.

Even the scene between Martha and Superman feels wrong - it's just doesn't have that homey feeling that K and Eddie and Dean brought to the roles. There just feels like a disconnect on screen, that these characters don't relate to each other in the right way.

Love John Shea's portrayal, drool over Michael Rosenbaum...so WTF did I see on screen in this trailer??!! Don't understand this Lex (based on the admittedly limited info offered) at all.

I'm wondering if "family" is referring to the Wayne Enterprises family (i.e. everyone working for the company) that was killed rather than the literal meaning of the word. If people personally close to Bruce were killed in the outrageously unjustifiable destruction caused in MOS, then of course that would be a powerful motivating factor for the bizarrely-cast Ben Afleck to work through (can't see him as Batman at all...though I could potentially buy him as Bruce).

1. That's why I loathe MoS. It's the anti-L&C.

2. I want to slap this Martha, with her "F the world" attitude. There had better be more to that scene that just "you don't owe the world anything" nonsense. Yes, Clark doesn't owe it to the world to use his powers to help, but the flippant attitude about it is just plain wrong.

3. I'm still trying to figure out the Lex thing too. My husband said to me "I didn't even know that was supposed to be Lex until the trailer was almost over." Not loving the creepy wealthy kid vibe. He should be a smooth talking business man.

4. I have a theory about the "he killed my family" thing. I think Lex won't be the only villain in the movie. I think Bruce will have to face someone else (maybe working with Lex) who killed Bruce's parents.

5. Xena wore Wonder Woman's outfit first AND she wore it better.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That was one of the MANY objectionable things in MOS for me...she was Superman's girlfriend, not Clark's. I'm not a Superman fan - I'm a Lois and Clark fan. And it's easy to understand why...the fundamental choice that DJL made - this was a show about the adult relationship between Lois and Clark...Clark was the real person. I couldn't stand it when Lois was fawning over Superman in MOS...of course, I couldn't stand most of that movie, because it was everything that L&C is not.
Well, since Lois knows CK=SM from the beginning, I don't see it as Lois fawning over Superman in MoS or here, except with that one shot of her caressing his S-shield.

Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
2. I want to slap this Martha, with her "F the world" attitude. There had better be more to that scene that just "you don't owe the world anything" nonsense. Yes, Clark doesn't owe it to the world to use his powers to help, but the flippant attitude about it is just plain wrong.
I agree. After I posted my earlier preview review, I realized I totally missed Diane Lane's "You don't owe anything to this planet" speech. Um... wouldn't Clark be dead if it weren't for his folks sending him here? Didn't the Earth get fairly destroyed because of those new Kryptonians coming to kill Kal-El? (Okay, totally not Clark's fault, but still....) Didn't he not care much about the death and destruction he wreaked when fighting said NK's? I couldn't see our Martha ever saying to Clark, "You don't owe Earth anything. You saved it from Nightfall." which is what I'm guessing this Martha is saying. So much for mid-west family and selfless values, eh, Hollywood? I'm glad Clark's morals feel the need to make it up to Metropolis and the world for what happened in MoS, even if I don't like that he didn't get those values from the Kents. /i.e. the implication being that Jor-El and Lara were the better parents/ razz

Originally Posted by DC
4. I have a theory about the "he killed my family" thing. I think Lex won't be the only villain in the movie. I think Bruce will have to face someone else (maybe working with Lex) who killed Bruce's parents.
Both good points. I did like the motivation they gave Batman in this film. This preview did feel more as a sequel to MoS than the first one did for me.

I shall go see it for the entertainment value and in hopes that the producers try to redeem Superman's true character from its massacre from MoS. Anyway, it can't be worse than Superman Returns. grovel Right? shock Right?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard