I'd like to thank Kennard for his help in editing the story. It taught me things and it'd make it easier for you all to read the story.

And I noticed that I made something unforgivable when I posted the Prologue. I forgot about the disclaimers... Oups! So here it is : I'm taking complete scenes or dialogues, and characters, from the show we all love, as if it was mine, but it's not (and I deeply regret it). It's just because I love to play with it, not because I want to steal other's toys. So, if some scenes of my fanfic does look like something you've already seen on TV, you should know that it is not a mere coincidence.

And here it is :

IN ALL HONESTY

CHAPTER 1

Clark was getting ready for their date. Well, maybe ‘date’ was too strong a word. They had just agreed that he would come by her apartment that night to spend the evening together. Nothing much. Except he wanted to make a lot out of it. He wanted it to be a night to remember. He wanted to tell her the truth about him being Superman, and then he wanted to ask her to marry him. Well, depending on how well it would go with his revelation, it might or might not be the right time to ask her. But in a perfect world, he would do both tonight. So he felt entitled to think of their evening as a date, even if it was an informal one.

He took the ring box sitting on his nightstand, and couldn't resist opening it and look at the ring inside. He could picture it in his mind: him lovingly sliding it on Lois finger. He felt his heart swell at the thought. It felt so right. He just couldn’t picture doing it in her stylish living room. It just lacked a homey feeling. Maybe he could take her for a walk in the park, if she felt well enough. That would feel like a more appropriate setting for a proposal.

He put the box back on the nightstand and went to stand in front of his mirror.

“Lois. I am Superman.”

He grimaced. Too harsh. Maybe he should introduce the matter a little first.

“Lois. You know I was adopted, right? Well. Have I ever told you how the Kent family came to adopt me? They found me on a field, actually ...”

<Oh god, that's awful!>

“Lois. Have you ever noticed that I always disappear before Superman comes to the rescue?”

<Am I crazy? There is no way she would take it well if I tell her like that!>

“Lois. I love you. And that is why I never want to lie to you again. I never want to hide anything from you again. I want to be completely honest with you, from now on.”

<Good. That is a very good start.>

“I haven't always been, before.”

<Here comes the tricky part.>

“You see. I have one secret I have never told you. And it is a big one. Lois, I am Superman.”

<Good. That one was good. That is the way I should tell her. Just one more repeat to be sure.>

“Lois. I love you. And that is why I never want to lie to you again. I never want to hide anything from you again. I want to be completely honest with you, from now on. I haven't always been, before. You see. I have one secret I have never told you. A big one. Lois, I am Superman. ”

<And then, I take my glasses off.>

He did, looked in the mirror, and panicked. he shouldn’t event try to fool himself, she’d go ballistic no matter how he told her. He'd been lying to her for two years! No way she would take it well enough that he could propose to her.

Maybe he should propose first? And then, he’d tell her. Yes! That way, he could do both tonight.

They were walking side by side on the park. Clark's heart was pounding, and he could feel the jewelry box in his pocket as if it weighted a ton. It was time.

“Lois, I've been thinking.”

“Me too, responded Lois”, wich was kind of an understatement. <I've been thinking about how much I trust you, and how badly I want you to trust me too>

“What about?” Asked Clark.

“You first.” <Bullet dodged for now. I'll think of something to say later.>

“Okay. Sometimes ... you think you're immortal.”

<Oh my god! Is he gonna tell me now? Here in the park? Oh god!>

“And you start to think that people around you are too. And it just takes a second to realize how wrong you are ... about everything.”

<He's really gonna tell me!>

“What I'm trying to say Lois, is I almost lost you ... and I ... feel ashamed.”

<What ? But he saved me. What could he be ashamed of?>

“Ashamed? Why?”

“I kept pushing you away even when I promised I'd stop. If you died without ever knowing why, I'd never be able to forgive myself. Because I love you.”

Lois' heart was racing, and she hoped he couldn't hear it. <It's time! It's time!> her voice screamed in her head. Submerged by emotion, she was speechless, and only pass her hand through his hair in a tender gesture. He made her sit, stood ceremoniously in front of her, took a deep breath ... and was interrupted by the growl of thunder, and the sudden rain that was pouring on them.

“Come on, give me a break!” Clark shouted at the sky with frustration.

Lois laughed. <Not this time! You'll have to work up the courage to tell me again!>

“You wanna go back?”

“If the earth opened up at my feet, I wouldn’t move until I’ve said this,” said Clark going to his knees in front of her. The intensity of his speech made Lois quivering of excitement.

“Lois.”

He silently presented her the ring box, opening it. Lois looked at it but her mind couldn't comprehend what was suddenly happening. She had had to miss something. Has she been struck by lightning?

“Will you marry me?”

It felt like she had.

She hadn't seen that one coming. She never would have thought he'd ask her to marry him without even telling her who he was first. Was he planning to lie to her all of their lives? Or was he waiting for their children to fly through the kitchen before even mentioning it? She could feel her temper rising and tried to calm herself. She'd decided that she would wait for him to be ready to speak, and she will. Patiently, if need be.

“Lois?” asked Clark.

<I need to answer him. To say what?>

“Clark, I ... No.”

It felt like she slapped him.

“I mean Yes,” she amended quickly, before realizing she couldn't agree either. “I mean ... I mean, I don't know. Please, can we talk about it out of the rain?”

A little disappointed, Clark put the ring back in his pocket.

“Sure.”

And they ran to the nearest building to get shelter from the rain on its doorsteps. They stayed there silently looking at the street for a moment or two before Clark spoke again.

“Lois, I didn’t ... I didn't really understand your response. Was it a yes, a no, or ...?”

“It was ... both, Clark. I do want to get married to you, to be your wife and take you as my loving husband. I want to spend my life with you, and grow old by your side. I really do want that.”

And she was surprised how much it was true when she was saying it. She never pictured herself as the kind of woman who needed a man in her life as badly as she needed him. But they couldn't do it like that, lying to each other.

“But I'm not ready to do it yet. I mean ... ten days ago, I had a date with Dan, three month ago, you were still dating Mayson, and we hadn't had our first date yet. It is way too fast. I need us to be a couple for a little longer before becoming a married couple. Do you understand?”

She hoped that he would bought that excuse, because the truth was that she needed him to be honest with her before she could tie her life to his in that way.

“Yes. You’re right. It might be a little too soon,” he responded without conviction, trying to hide his deception and only remember that she said she wanted to spend her life with him.

“It was a beautiful ring, Clark,” offered Lois, trying to lighten the mood.

“Yes, I liked it as soon as I saw it, in the store, the night I broke into it. I went back this morning to buy it, and interview the owner at the same time.”

Lois laughed.

“You're one hell of a burglar, Clark. You break into a jewelry store at night and notice a beautiful ring and then go back in the daylight to buy it.”

“I know. I have no talent for it. The police even have my picture!” He chuckled. ”But ever since I saw it, I've pictured myself putting it on your finger, and that image hasn't left me,” he avowed.

“Well, I'd like that. Very much. After all, I did agree to become you wife. We just could have a long engagement before the actual wedding, if you're okay with that.”

He took the ring box out again, opened it, slipped the ring on Lois finger and kissed her hand.

“I am okay with that.”

They smiled at each other.

Last edited by Poussin; 06/22/15 07:15 AM.