OP Offline
Kerth
Comments go here!

Corrina.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
At the end of part one I was intrigued, but now I am firmly hooked.

Since Clark apparently hadn't heard Lois' heartbeat when she was following him, and since Superman is nowhere to be seen, I am guessing that in your story, Lex kept Clark imprisoned long enough in a green-K cage during his wedding to Lois that Clark permanently lost his powers. I can see why losing Lois to Lex and losing his powers would together render him into despondency.

As an aside: You know that I am fascinated by dialogue differences. I had never heard the term "pusher" used in that context before. In the U.S., a "pusher" is someone who peddles illegal drugs. The context makes it obvious, though, that you are referring to what in the US would be called a stroller or in Great Britain would be labelled a perambulator or pram. Thanks for teaching me a new (much more pleasant) meaning of the word. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
It's not fair. I desperately want to be able to read the whole story ... but I don't have the discipline to NOT read until it's finished. ARGH!

Clearly we are in a 'she marries Lex' future, then. It seems very scary and dark for Lois. Strangely enough, on one of my hour long journeys too/from work, I did a little 'I wonder how this will continue' fantasizing, and came up with a scene where Lois finds Clark in a cafe and they sit down and Clark is terrified for Lois, saying she can't be here, how did she get away, he might hurt her, etc ... *spooky*

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful start, great fun. I do hope it is not going to be one of those two times streams side by side tales.

While it is clear that Clark's powers are gone, I am hoping that it is only because Lex's goons carry Kryptonite on them at all times.

I am also hoping that Clark is still in town because Lex won't let him leave, perhaps with threats to Lois Lane's safety.

Framework4
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yikes! If this one hour isn't enough to convince Lois not to marry Lex Luthor, I can't imagine how a two full days would be necessary. How will HG Wells rescue Lois from Luthor within 2 days to take her back to her past?

Poor Clark. Yes, he's probably despondent. Being a top notch reporter must be more difficult if he has to re-learn to do it a completely different way than he used to (i.e. without powers and without Lois). I wonder if Lex figured out that Clark = SM. That could explain why he didn't want Lois anywhere near him. Lex threatened Lois (or Clark with full death) if he were to come anywhere near his wife. I could see Lex enjoying the humor of a now powerless Clark being released back into the city to watch the love of his life live (happily ever after in Lex's opinion) with a criminal. Is Superman gone for good or has he just gone underground?

Originally Posted by Framework4
While it is clear that Clark's powers are gone, I am hoping that it is only because Lex's goons carry Kryptonite on them at all times.
Ooooh. Interesting theory. Maybe that's why Clark stopped and seemed to be concentrating on something. Did he suddenly feel the burn of nearby Kryptonite and know that Lex's goons were about to get him due to Lois's visit?

About that last line, HAD Lois ran away from Lex? Lex seemed quite blaze` about Lois seeing Clark being beaten up as if it wasn't the first time she's witnessed such things. Or had told Lois that something bad would happen to Clark if Lois went to see her old friend. Had Lois been hiding out and now Lex has caught her?

So sad about the Daily Planet now being the Met Star. Ugh. Perry must have had a heart attack upon hearing that news. What happened to Jimmy? When Clark first grabbed Lois, I thought it might turn out to be Jimmy.

Creepy beginning.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow! This is a gripping story line already - I am so hooked! Love the situation you have put the characters into and am really looking forward to seeing how you work the story.

Am busting my boiler for part 3 already!! smile

Cheers
Elizabeth

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
As an aside: You know that I am fascinated by dialogue differences. I had never heard the term "pusher" used in that context before. In the U.S., a "pusher" is someone who peddles illegal drugs. The context makes it obvious, though, that you are referring to what in the US would be called a stroller or in Great Britain would be labelled a perambulator or pram. Thanks for teaching me a new (much more pleasant) meaning of the word. smile

Uhmm ... in Australia (my part, anyway), we traditionally use 'pram' for something substantial with large wheels that can take a very young baby. We use 'stroller' for something more lightweight with small wheels where the 6-month-plus baby sits, usually facing forward. In my research (which was 6 months ago, so I can't remember the details), I got the idea that Americans use 'pusher' in this context. We do occasionally use 'pusher' (enough to understand the meaning), but 'stroller' and 'pram' are more common.

Would it work if I change to 'pram' in the story?

Thanks for pointing it out, Lynn.

Corrina.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Corrina,

"Stroller" is the only term I've ever heard in the U.S. to cover anything which a baby or toddler rests in and which an adult pushes. Maybe "pusher" is used in other parts of the U.S.?

At the risk of sounding presidential with my next phrase: My fellow Americans, what term(s) do you use?

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., Out of curiosity, I searched for "pram" on the babiesrus.com and amazon.com web sites. It appears that toy strollers designed to push dolls in are sometimes labelled as "prams," and such toys are both of the bassinet (or car seat)-carrying style and the style designed for older (toddler-age) children. The real thing, however, is always called a "stroller." (On amazon.com, however, there were some items labelled as "pram strollers." I guess they were covering their bases.)

The search for "pusher" on the two sites didn't return anything relevant.

Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
My fellow Americans, what term(s) do you use?

I have never heard the term "pusher" used for anything other than slang meaning a drug dealer. Pram is UK English - if Corrina is going to change the word, she should change it to stroller, which is US English.

Originally Posted by Female Hawk
in Australia (my part, anyway), we traditionally use 'pram' for something substantial with large wheels that can take a very young baby. We use 'stroller' for something more lightweight with small wheels where the 6-month-plus baby sits, usually facing forward.
Both are called strollers here. The smaller kind is an umbrella stroller, which is what you'd type if you were specifically looking for it online, but in casual language, it would just be called a stroller.

This part was captivating. I love that you haven't revealed everything - that it's a mystery to both Lois and the reader. I second Lynn's theory as to what's really going on. Clark has clearly had his secret revealed and Lois' safety threatened in order to neutralize him, and he's being keep in Metropolis to watch and suffer from afar.

You definitely have me hooked! Hey, I suppose that makes you a pusher (of stories, anyway). lol

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm not Australian nor American, but from a quick search apparently the term is 100% Aussie English (and I like that!):

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/pushchair

wink

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have only ever associated the term 'pusher' with an individual the 'pushes' or sells illegal drugs.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Completely captivated, Corrina. It is amazing how different life can be based on certain decisions...

There is such a dark, mysterious undertone to the story right now--and I love that. I'm not sure what I was expecting, after having read Part 1, but definitely, this reality is a lot worse for Lois (and Clark) than I had imagined. You really have me at the edge of my seat wanting more grovel notworthy.

Prior to reading this discussion, 'pram' would have had me picturing a buggy-type stroller. And 'pusher'--while I figured out immediatly what you were referring to, was not a word I was familiar with. 'Stroller', IMO, would be the do-all, catch-all term here in the US. (That's what we call anything in our personal 'collection', anyway--the umbrella stroller, regular stroller, and two-seater stroller grin. It's amazing how much stuff you accumulate with little kids...).

I'll 3rd Lynn's theory smile. I don't think Clark has his powers either. Which would explain how worried he was that Lois showed up at the Metropolis Star--no way to protect either of them. I think he's spent two very long, very sad, very stressful years alone. Without his job at the Planet. Without his best friend. Without the woman he loves. Without his powers. Without a lot of hope.

These two days are going to be interesting hyper clap hyper.
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 05/09/15 03:00 AM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Looking forward to the next part!

I'm hooked!

hyper

Sydney

Non ! non, c’est bien plus beau lorsque c’est inutile !
(Edmond Rostand)
Features Writer
Features Writer
Oh. My. Goodness.

What a dark future so far. I have to wonder how long it will take Lois to see who's responsible for this mess, and how it relates to her choices. Then there's what's become of Martha, Jonathan, Perry & Jimmy. You've definitely drawn me in with your writing. Looking forward to the next parts, as I assume answers may not be all in one part.

I've also only heard/seen the term "pusher" used in reference to drug dealers, although dictionary.com does give some other technical definitions (airplanes, sailing and trains). See this entry.

"Baby carriage" and "buggy" are terms I'm familiar with for a baby, usually under 6 months. And seems equivalent to "pram". "Buggy" is also used in at parts of the Southern US (NC, SC, GA and maybe more) for a shopping cart, with or without a child seat. "Stroller" is the more common term and usually used for pushing one or more older babies and children.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
This story offers a lot of intrigue. Now that Lex is in the picture, anything can happen.

"Pusher" in American slang terms usually is in reference to drug dealers.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Thanks to all who have responded regarding stroller/pusher/pram. I've been finding the discussion fascinating and am thrilled to be able to refine my understanding of the vocabulary in several dialects.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Lynn Interesting theory about Clark and his powers. We shall see!

Victoria I'd like to read the entire story, too, but it's not written yet. Sigh. I know how it finishes. There's just a bit in the middle that is causing difficulties.

I don't find it strange at all that your version is so close to mine. smile As with all my stories, I can only see one possible way forward, and I'm constantly surprised by the wide range of musings of others.

If you were thinking the same way, Victoria, I must be on the right track!

Patrick No, it's not going to be a two-worlds, side-by-side story, but I'm not sure how I could have responded if it had been!

Virginia Interesting thoughts, some pointing to the direction of the story, some not so much.

Glad you like it, Elizabeth. Gripping? But we know Lois is going back to 1994, don't we?

Susan So Clark's secret has been revealed and according to others, he has lost his powers? Uhm. That's not good. wink As for being a 'pusher of stories', I'm quite happy with that title. Thanks.

Thanks for the link, Hidden Moon.

Laura I can't imagine a future involving Lex Luthor could be anything other than horrible. Nice summary of Clark's past two years.

Thanks for reading and commenting, Sydney.

LWhite I find first chapters reasonably easy and second chapters a lot more of a challenge. Glad you think this one worked.

cuidadora It's definitely going to take more than one chapter to give you all the answers.

Morgana Yep, Lex being there changes everything.

Regarding the stroller/pusher/pram discussion, thanks for your thoughts. I'll change it to 'stroller' for the archives.

The third chapter is almost ready, but I have to go into town to pick up my son and daughter-in-law who are coming for the weekend. I'll try to get it posted this evening. If not, tomorrow sometime.

Thanks to everyone who is reading and particularly those who have taken the time to leave FDK.

Corrina.

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally Posted by Female Hawk
Patrick No, it's not going to be a two-worlds, side-by-side story, but I'm not sure how I could have responded if it had been!

Corrina.

Hopefully ignored me and continued on writing the story that you wanted to tell in the way you wanted to tell it.

Patrick

Framework4
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
True, Patrick. Although I also don't usually enjoy stories that zip across worlds and back again, so there's not much chance I would write one. smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard