Wrong Place, Wrong Time, Wrong Clark TOC can be found Here

Where we left Lois and Clark in Part 205

One More Talk

Clark led Lois over to a bench in Metropolis Park and they both sat down. They didn’t take walks in Centennial Park much anymore. Between the time when Superman had broken up with her and Clark’s proposal, they had lost interest in visiting that park.

It was time. Clark needed Lois to answer the question that had been burning in his mind ever since he learned the truth about what had happened on that horrible April day all those months ago.

“Lois, if Luthor hadn’t just proposed and you weren’t working undercover… if it had been just an ordinary day…”

Lois looked over at him with skepticism. “We have ordinary days?”

“Well, ordinary for us.”

“So, only the threat of abduction or death, and only two conversations interrupted by Superman rescues?” Lois guessed.

He smiled at her joke. “And a third by Jimmy or Perry,” he corrected.

“Ah, Jimmy,” Lois sighed. “I miss him.”

Clark nodded with agreement.

“And I only dangled over the jaws of death twice?” she asked with a wink.

“On an ordinary day, it’s only once,” he replied.

She leaned back in contemplation. “Oh, one of those ordinary days.”

“Would you have said ‘yes’?” Clark asked.

Part 206

Lois glanced over at Clark from the corner of her eye. “Would you have told me about Superman first?”

“Yes.”

“Would you have worded it better?”

“Definitely,” Clark insisted.

“Well, you couldn’t have worded it worse,” Lois said dryly.

“Hey!” Clark said in a way that made her laugh, because it sounded as if he was defending his ability to be a lunkhead, even though she knew that wasn’t what he meant.

“It’s true. Nobody is quite like you, Chuck,” Lois said with a gentle pat to his chest. “It was horrible, though. Did you steal the idea from Mr. Darcy?”

Clark’s brow furrowed. “Who?”

“Oh, come on, Clark! Don’t tell me you’ve never read Jane Austen’s ‘Pride and Prejudice’,” she replied.

He stared at her and then turned his head just slightly. “Excuse me.”

“Of course,” Lois said, waving him off. “It wouldn’t be an ordinary day without it.”

Clark returned ten minutes later, carrying two coffees. He was learning.

She smiled and accepted the cup he held out to her. “Apology coffee, my favorite.” She took a sip. “Nothing tastes as sweet.”

“Too much sweetener?” he asked, his brow furrowing, as he hesitantly tasted his coffee and then shrugged.

Lois leaned over and brushed his lips with hers. “No.”

They were both quiet for a minute as they sipped their coffees.

“At least, I didn’t insult your family or your looks,” Clark said, sadly returning to his defense of his atrocious proposal. “As Mr. Darcy did when he first proposed to Elizabeth Bennet.”

Lois studied him and noticed his expression was entirely too innocent. Suddenly, it hit her why. She pointed at him. “There wasn’t a call for help, was there? You ran off to read the book.”

Clark smiled sheepishly, admitting she was right.

“What did you think?” she asked, trying to hold back her laugh and failing. She covered it with another sip of her coffee.

“I liked it,” he replied. “So much in fact, I read it through twice.”

She nudged him. “Show off.”

“I didn’t like Wickham, though,” he continued with a frown.

“I wouldn’t expect you would.”

“I don’t think Elizabeth or Darcy should have allowed Kitty to remain married to him,” he said.

“Allowed?” she inquired, her eyebrow rising of its own accord.

Clark coughed. “Perhaps not the best word choice. If your sister Lucy ran off with Luthor…”

“Wickham was no Lex Luthor,” Lois reminded him. And Lucy has more sense than to date a criminal. At least, Lois hoped she did.

“Or it would’ve had a completely different ending,” Clark murmured.

“I liked the ending to ‘Pride and Prejudice’,” Lois said, turning the topic off Lex again.

“Me, too,” Clark agreed, leaning back and stretching out his legs. “Especially the part where Elizabeth Bennet admitted she was wrong to reject Darcy in the manner that she had.”

Lois stared at him, her eyes afire. “I’ve already admitted that!”

He beamed. “Still nice to hear.”

She slapped his arm and shook her head, turning away and grumbling under her breath, “Men.”

“So?” he inquired.

Lois faced him again, this time with confusion. “So, what?

“If Luthor hadn’t just proposed and you weren’t undercover investigating him…” he started again.

“And it had been an ordinary day?” Lois asked. Like today?

“Precisely.”

Oh, God! Is he…? “Totally hypothetically?” she asked, hoping her suddenly dry mouth wasn’t too obvious.

“Of course.”

“So, you’re not…?”

His eyes widened. “No! That’s not what…” He paused. “Do you want me to…?”

“No!” Lois gasped. “It’s too soon.”

“Much too soon,” Clark agreed with an obvious sigh of relief.

She wasn’t at all sure she appreciated his complete agreement with her commitment phobia, but it was understandable after what happened the last time.

Clark took a sip of his coffee. “So?”

She had asked herself this question a thousand times and she kept coming back to the same answer. “No,” Lois replied softly, and saw his shoulders slump. She rested her hand on his arm. “Not never, Clark, just not then.”

He glanced up with hope. “And not today?”

“Definitely. It’s too soon,” she insisted.

Once again, Clark annoyingly nodded in agreement.

I’m not ready,” Lois said, trying to make it her decision again. “But someday, I might be.”

Clark relaxed back against the bench. “Someday sounds good.” He glanced over at her and she could see in his nervousness the unasked question in his eyes.

She gave him a smile of reassurance. “Don’t worry. When I’m ready, you’ll be the first to know,” she murmured, leaning over to kiss him gently. “You are my best friend after all.”

His arm went around her waist, so that her body pressed against his. His other hand caressed the side of her face, through her hair and over her ear. Lois’s eyes drifted shut in submission as his lips joined hers. She relaxed into the kiss, opening her mouth. He accepted her invitation and deepened the kiss.

Eventually, they or, at least she, needed to come up for air. “Wow!” she whispered, resting her head against his shoulder with contentment. She had missed this. She really needed to stop picking fights with him.

I don’t kiss my friends like that,” Clark said.

Oh. He was merely proving a point. “So, you’re not my best friend?” she couldn’t help asking, adding a slight pout to her voice.

“I didn’t say that.”

She knew Clark was a stickler for exactness. “Are you saying I’m not your best friend?”

“I didn’t say that either.”

Lois turned to face him again. “Then what are you saying?”

“I love you.”

She raised an eyebrow. She wasn’t going to let him off easy because he told her he loved her.

Caught, Clark sighed. “You mean more to me than just some ordinary best friend could.”

Accepting that answer, Lois leaned her head back against his shoulder. “In case you were wondering, and so it doesn’t eat away at you, I never stopped loving you, even if on occasion it felt as if I had.”

His arms tightened slightly in a hug and he kissed the side of her head. “And?”

She rolled her eyes. He was such a marshmallow. “I love you, too,” she said, earning herself another hug and ear kiss.

And?

And? What more could he want? “And, what?” she asked, turning so her chest pressed against his. “Do you want me to admit that I still want to ravish your body? Because I do,” she added with an extra sultry tone to her voice.

Clark flushed, his whole body stiffening into steel… and embarrassment? “That’s not what I… I don’t even know… if that’s possible, Lois.”

“It’s possible,” she reassured him.

“I mean intimacy…” He cleared his throat. “Physical intimacy,” he whispered.

“It’s possible.”

“With my strength and…”

“It’s possible, Clark.”

“Why do you keep saying that?” he asked. “How would you know?”

Lois smiled, and took a sip of her coffee. “I know.”

“Lois…”

“Clark,” she replied, brushing his lips with hers. “It wouldn’t be our first time, you know.”

He moved her back to look her in the eyes. “Excuse me.”

This time it was Lois’s turn to blush and glance away. “We made love when I visited you in the hospital during Nightfall.”

“That isn’t funny, Lois,” he said through gritted teeth. “I’m serious.”

“So am I,” she replied.

“Well, excuse me if I don’t believe you,” he said.

“No, I won’t excuse you,” Lois hissed, sitting up. “I’m telling you the truth.”

“Uh-huh,” he said, clearly not changing his opinion. He took another sip of his coffee.

“I wouldn’t lie about this,” she said adamantly.

“Right,” Clark scoffed.

“I wouldn’t!”

“Sure you would,” he said. “But I don’t blame you.”

“Excuse me!” she growled.

“Lois, you told me during my birthday dinner that we hadn’t had sex that night. Now, you’re telling me – after admitting that you want to ravish my body, I might add,” he said with a beaming grin, having obviously delighted in her saying that. “— that we did. So, yes, minha, you would lie about this.” He ruffled her hair. “I’m flattered, Lois, I am. But I don’t have to believe you.”

“But I’m not lying!” she yelled, jumping to her feet and scaring a flock of nearby pigeons into the air. “We did too make love!”

Clark’s eyes widened and glanced around to make sure nobody was watching them. “Why don’t you say that a little louder, Lois? I don’t think they quite heard you in Gotham City.”

Lois could feel her anger boiling. “I lied to you then, but I’m not lying to you now. You have to believe me.”

He looked over his coffee cup as he took another sip. “No, Lois, I don’t.”

Lois sat back down with a huff, drumming her fingers on her leg as she thought of a way to convince him she wasn’t lying… well, this time. She set down her cup and took his free hand in both of hers. “I didn’t lie to you on your birthday, exactly. I Clark-Kented you.”

His expression told her that he didn’t appreciate her words. “I’m listening,” he said tersely.

She felt the desire to get up and pace again, but she’d never get him to believe her if she did. “You asked if we had ‘mad, passionate sex’ in the hospital, remember?”

“Better than you, but go on.”

“I wouldn’t bring that up if we’re discussing who’s the bigger liar, if I were you.”

He bowed his head. “You’re right. I’m sorry. Go on.”

Lois had lost her train of thought with this detour. She took a deep breath. “And what did I just shout to Gotham?”

“That we had made love,” he said a tag smugly. Just like a man to take her yelling as bragging.

“Exactly.”

He blinked, stared at her, and then blinked again. “I’m not seeing it.”

Lois leaned forward and kissed his lips. “You don’t see the difference between ‘hot, passionate sex’ and ‘making love’?” she purred. “I don’t believe you.”

Clark shifted his seat and cleared his throat. “I see.”

She licked her lips, trying to hide her triumphant smile, because she knew he would understand the difference. “So, you see, Chuck. I didn’t really lie to you on your birthday. I misled you. I Clark-Kented you.”

“Uh-huh,” he stated, still annoyed by her analogy, and she knew he still didn’t believe her. “And why did you do that?”

“Several reasons,” she said vaguely, not really wishing to get into the details.

“Such as?”

Damn, his stubborn curiosity streak.

Lois picked up her coffee and took a sip. “If you had known we had made love in the hospital, you would have tried to stop me from going undercover to nab Lex.”

“And how did that work out for you?” he stated more than asked, since he already knew the answer.

She glared at him. “Luthor is in jail, isn’t he?”

Clark looked over his shoulder in the direction of Stryker's Island Penitentiary, tilted down his glasses a notch, and nodded before returning his gaze to Lois. “No thanks to you and your investigation.”

“No thanks to you or Superman, either,” she retorted, crossing her arms.

They were at a stalemate. This would come between them for a while.

“Is that why you’re now saying that you lied?” Clark asked. “Just for your investigation?”

“No,” Lois admitted, her posture softening. “I was embarrassed.”

“You were embarrassed about having made love to me?” he grumbled. “Terrific.”

“No! Never, Clark,” she said, grabbing hold of the front of his jacket. “That’s not what I meant.”

“What did you mean, then?” he asked, and she could tell his feelings had been bruised by the misunderstanding. All his bravado was now gone.

“How do you think I felt when I discovered that I had just made love to a man who didn’t know me? It had meant something to me,” she whispered, closing her eyes. “And you were so drugged up, you didn’t even know it was real. We had made love, linked ourselves together for all time, and you asked if we had had ‘hot, passionate sex’. It belittled it for me.” She opened her eyes and glanced down at her hands. “It was more than sex to me.”

Clark pulled her into his embrace, and Lois felt the tears flow down her cheeks as she rested her head on his shoulder.

“Excuse me for not wanting to admit that what had been a life-changing event for me, making love to the man I love, who had been missing for days and almost died, was actually me…” Her voice came out in gasps. “— taking advantage of a total stranger, an ill man in a hospital room. So, yeah, I was humiliated.”

“You didn’t take advantage of me, Lois,” he murmured into her hair. “I wanted you just as much as you wanted me.”

“That still doesn’t remove the taint for me,” Lois said. “I wanted us to have a clean slate, another chance to make love for the first time.”

“You’ll still have that chance,” Clark said, brushing his hand through her hair. “Someday, when I’m ready.”

“You mean when I’m ready,” she corrected.

“You just said you were ready. That you wanted to ‘ravish my body’,” he reminded her.

She couldn’t believe him. “And you’re saying that you don’t want to ‘ravish’ me?”

“Not ‘ravish’, per se…”

Him and his semantics. “Make mad, passionate love to me, then?”

“Yes,” he said with so much desire, she melted just from that one word. He glanced away and cleared his throat. “But I’m not ready.”

Lois brushed her hand against his thigh. “I beg to differ.”

He took hold of her hand. “Mentally and emotionally ready, minha,” he murmured. “And, yes, physically, too.”

“But we…”

Clark held up his hand. “Even if what you told me is true,” he said, and she knew he still didn’t completely believe her. “I’m not a hundred percent sure you wouldn’t be hurt, if we made love.”

When,” she corrected, kissing him lightly. She ran her fingers through his hair. “And physically, I wasn’t hurt when we…” She cleared her throat, unsure what word to use for what had happened. “— in the hospital.”

“I’m so glad,” he whispered, returning her kiss. “If you had died…” She heard him choke on the word.

“That’d never happen, Clark.”

“I wish I could believe that,” he replied.

“And I wish you’d believe me.”

“Lois, it’s not a matter of believing you,” he explained. “While I was in the hospital, my body was weakened by Kryptonite. Making love to you at full strength would be another story.”

Lois gazed at him skeptically. She couldn’t believe him. Actually, she could believe him. He was always worrying when he shouldn’t. It was typical Clark Kent behavior. He would never hurt her, not deliberately and certainly not intentionally. She had no idea what she could do to be able to prove to him what she already knew to be true… well, other than the obvious, which he clearly didn’t want to try. They were perfectly suited for one another.

Then, as she replayed his words through her mind, her thoughts went in a whole new direction, gave them another definition. She cleared her throat and gazed down at his hand as she took it in hers once more. “You mean…” Her eyes rose to his. “You could get better?”

His face changed to an expression of horror. “Better?”

Lois lifted her hand and started to fan herself.

“Lois, minha, are you okay? We’ve spent too much time out in the cold air. I knew the wind was too cold today, not to have a jacket. You’re positively flushed and your heart rate just skyrocketed and your eyes…”

She let him see exactly what she was thinking.

“— your eyes are…” He swallowed. “— are… are… dilated… Wow!” He whispered the last word.

Lois moved closer to him. She was practically panting from her thoughts. “Oh, Clark!” She pressed her mouth to his and ran her fingers down his chest to his waist. “Fly us someplace private, Chuck,” she said between breaths. “Now!”

“Lois!” Clark gasped in alarm, pulling away and glancing around. “I can’t…”

“Oh, you most certainly can,” she whispered, kissing down his neck.

“Was I really that bad? I mean, don’t answer that. I don’t want to know. In my defense, I was sick in the hospital at the time, amnesia and all and… and…”

“You, at your worst, are better than my hottest fantasies,” she murmured, pressing against his chest. “If I hadn’t known you were known as ‘Superman’ on the Prometheus, I’d have given you that name after that night.” She growled, not in anger, but in passion.

Clark clamored to his feet. “Lois!” he sputtered, taking a few steps backwards. “Are you sure you’re okay? I mean, you’re acting a bit Revenge-addled.” He froze and studied her as if that were actually a possibility.

Lois took a step towards him, her gaze narrowing. “So, I’d have to be sprayed with Revenge to want you, Chuck?”

“I was good?” he sputtered. She could see the disbelief on his face.

She wrapped her finger around his tie and pulled him towards her. “You’re so cute with your naïveté. I don’t know if you were ‘good’ but you were… we clicked.”

“Clicked?” he repeated, again with alarm. “Did I whistle and buzz too? Is that how you knew?”

Annoyed once more by his lack of self-confidence, she shoved his chest. The surprise of it knocked him to the ground.

“What’s the matter with you? I’m trying to give you a compliment,” she yelled. “It’s not as if it was your first time.”

Clark stared up at her from the cold leaf-strewn ground. “Compliment?”

“Yes, a compliment. I’ve been known to give them out from time to time.”

“You do?” he asked, ducking.

She harrumphed. “Forget it, Chuck. You’ve ruined the mood, anyway.”

Clark pulled himself from the ground and dusted himself off. “I told you that I wasn’t…”

She shot him a scowl over her shoulder.

We aren’t ready, Lois,” he said. He wrapped his arms around her, hugging her from behind, and kissed her cheek. Then he let her go. He picked up his empty coffee cup and crushing it, tossed it into a nearby trashcan. Then from the bench he retrieved her cup, which he handed to her, sliding his hand into her free one.

Lois waited. She knew from the way that he had spoken that he hadn’t finished his point, and this sounded important. She wasn’t going to miss any more information by interrupting Clark.

“I love you, Lois. I have been in love with you from the first instant I looked into these beautiful brown eyes,” he said, smiling at her as he caressed her cheek.

She knew that there was more. Clark wasn’t a direct to the point kind of guy. Although, after all the times he tried to tell her he was Superman, she would’ve thought that he’d have learned from that mistake.

“But…”

“How did I know that there was one of those coming?” she grumbled.

But,” Clark continued. “I let my desire lead me into making some bad decisions.”

“You can say that again,” she mumbled.

His lips formed a line. “Hey, this is hard enough to admit to without the heckling from the peanut gallery.”

“Sorry,” Lois said contritely. “I’ll be good. Go on.”

“It’s my opinion that we rushed into the physical before we really got to know each other,” he said.

Lois remembered saying something of the sort after the Metro Club investigation. Unfortunately, her motivation was all tangled together with the discovery that Clark didn’t have a past. She knew his past now, and that was no longer an obstacle.

“I love you,” he repeated. “— but I would like us to take it slow.”

Lois tossed her coffee cup into the trashcan and put her hands on her hips. “And I would like you to say that you love me without adding a ‘but’ in afterwards.”

Clark winced. “You’re right. You’re right. I’m sorry.”

“About time you admitted it,” Lois replied with a grin to let him know she was teasing.

He wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her cheek. Into her ear, he whispered, “What if I said, ‘I love your butt’?” he asked, snaking his hands down to her bottom and giving her a squeeze.

She pushed out of his arms with a yelping laugh. “You were saying something about ‘taking it slow’,” she reminded him, and he blushed. She bit her bottom lip in thought, and stepped back into his embrace. “Tell me, Clark…” She kissed his lips. “— how slow…” Her lips trailed down his neck to where it met his clavicle. “— is ‘slow’?” Her hands moved down his back to his bottom where she gave him a little squeeze.

“You’re killing me!” he groaned.

She grinned in triumph. “I knew you wanted me,” she crowed, taking his hand in hers and continuing down the path.

He gazed at her with exasperation. “That has never been in doubt, minha.”

Lois loved all the different ways he told her she was right.

“How slow is slow?” Clark repeated her question.

She glanced over at him.

“I made a vow that I’d be abstinent until marriage,” he confessed softly.

***End of Part 206***

Part 207

So, now the truth is out... or is it? Who should Clark believe? Lois or Wells? Comments

Last edited by VirginiaR; 05/20/15 01:14 PM. Reason: Added Link

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.