Next Thread
Print Thread
#262406 04/12/15 01:03 AM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
This topic's all about Convergence. For those not following comics these days (and a Lois/Clark fan doesn't usually have much of a good reason to follow the current comics), they're in the process of ending the "New 52" titling. To do so, they've created an event that pretty much pits different versions of the characters in "battles" with one of them getting to live to the post New-52. In "Convergence: Superman #1" we get to see the pre-Flashpoint (also known as Post-Crisis, BTW) Superman and Lois. From here on out there's a spoiler warning. I'll post the rest in it's own response.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Ready? Don't read this if you're not wanting to be spoiled about the comics.

They were at a new convention (with Jimmy) in Gotham when Brainiac "bagged and tagged" the city/world as it were by putting it under a dome (as is Brainiac's MO). During that year or do under the dome Clark's been without his powers. Despite that, though, he's doing a bit of a "Batman" and still working as a superhero with Lois acting in an Oracle role. The reason Lois isn't out there herself is revealed about half-way in. She's very pregnant!!

I was excited to see this comic come out, especially as it is RIGHT about the time I'm due with my third and final baby (Due April 18th, so basically any day now).

Their Gotham is pitted against the Flashpoint versions of themselves. Kal-El (Flashpoint Superman) is desperate to save the pre-Flashpoint Lois (because he lost his in the fighting of the Flashpoint world). Lois, understandably is frightened a bit because (as she's in his ear, and thus knows what's going on on his end) her Superman is still alive. What's going to happen next is anyone's guess as Superman's kind of being overpowered by four or five other "heroes" from the Flashpoint world. My best guess based on the cover images is that things are going to be ok. What happens to the baby, though? THAT'S what I want to know.

CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
April 18th baby? Already?! thud Congrats, Christina. I didn't realize so much time had passed already. I hear that it's tradition for someone to go into labor during the Kerth Ceremony, so you timed this so well. wink

I did see something about that cover on the Superman page, but I had no idea what was going on. Last I heard about New 52s was that Superman was with Wonder Woman and not Lois, so I figured that this was a different Universe (i.e. era, no that's not the right word. Story line?). I'm just hoping we get good news for a change with a pregnant Lois. thumbsup Maybe they'll end up with twins. (Not you, of course. Your hands are already full.)

LATER: Now, that would be a fun twist if the Wonder Twins were Clark and Lois's children, but because they weren't full Kryptonian, they ended up with funky powers. peep

Last edited by VirginiaR; 04/12/15 01:31 AM. Reason: Crazy plot twist ideas

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Yup, the New-52 have Superman and Wonder Woman together right up to the beginning of Convergence (which isn't part of the event in terms of it being one of them destroyed). Whether or not they'll be together post.... I haven't heard but they're probably still together (still not happy about that). With that said, supposedly the comics post-Convergence aren't going to be as beholden to continuity so maybe that will mean more variations in universes.

Universe, is the term they're using to explain the differences between the Gothams preserved by Brainiac/Telos. The Uni is actually the one that ended with "Grounded" just before Flashpoint started up.

Of the unis we're expected to see that might be familiar to the lois/Clark crowd, there's also Pre-Crisis Red/Blue Superman (these were an "imaginary world" and one married Lois while the other married Lana), Pre-Crisis period (towards the end they were hinting at a flirtation between Clark and Lois before the Byrne Reboot), Pre-Crisis Earth-2 (i.e. married Clark/Lois...although we might not see Lois in that one). etc.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Christina, may your delivery be smooth and may you and your child both be healthy.

I had stayed away from most of the New 52, but I'm very much enjoying Convergence. I especially loved the quiet moment Lois & Clark were able to share before the fighting began.

I just hope that they don't wind up killing off the pre-Flashpoint Superman (whom I tend to think of as "the Byrne Superman"). After L&C's Superman, he's my favourite. Not surprising, considering that, of all of the comic book versions of the character, the Byrne Superman is is the one most like L&C's.

Convergence is succeeding in having me happily part with more of my money than I have spent on entertainment in a long time. I am eager to see what the post-Convergence DC universe/multiverse looks like. I know we won't go back to my favourite comic book version of Superman, but I hope we wind up with a character more palatable than the New 52's version.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard