Band of Blue TOC

Disclaimer: From chapter 33 onwards there are chances of certain phrases and situations coming almost directly from The Death and Life of Superman novel. In each chapter there could be anything from a couple of words (phase) up to whole choreographed scenes. I do not claim these as my own work, but have just inserted them into my narrative. Some of these may not even be noticeable to someone who has read the book, and especially to those who have never read it (why have you not read it?). Still I would not wish to claim that these words were mine when someone far better than me penned them years ago.

Chapter 37

Clark braced his hands on his knees and took a breath whilst Kara captured the monster’s attention. The sudden intake of sweet oxygen caused spots in his vision but it felt refreshing. Standing up ready to fight once more he stepped back out of the way of a massive swing just in time. Turning to swing back he was dumb-struck for a moment when Doomsday picked up Kara. The monster twirled her around its massive body then sent her soaring into the air. Clark let out an angered scream and punched the bony chin, sending Doomsday flying. He turned to watch the trajectory of his cousin and shouted out in terror when he saw her sheer through the back end of a helicopter in mid-flight.

He leapt up into the air immediately and aimed for the helicopter landing struts. Grabbing hold with both hands he flew the helicopter back up to the roof. Landing it safely he looked for the missing tail and saw that it had landed on the street hitting some cars but, thankfully, not causing any accidents. When he turned back to the helicopter he froze. The face of the woman he loved looked out at him. She raised her head slowly and used her hand to smooth back her hair. When she noticed him she smiled and Clark could see tears in her eyes.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lex looked at all the paperwork on his desk and felt frustrated. He didn’t know where to start. His memory was missing large chunks of information. Apparently he’d been missing for months and returned to take control of LuthorCorp recently but he could not remember it. If there was to be missing time wouldn’t it have only been the missing months. Why didn’t he remember the last few weeks when, apparently, he’d been back in civilisation? Trying to catch up on events in the world was difficult. He collapsed into his chair and sighed. Hard to believe that just last night he’d woken from his fog only to be rescued by an angel when he nearly drowned. Maybe that’s why I can’t focus on all this information. I keep stopping to think about her.

Suddenly a crash came from behind and he turned. Glass came at him and he shielded his eyes with his arm. When the glass settled he uncurled himself from his protective stance and looked around. His window had been shattered by something. He turned and his mouth dropped open in shock when he saw the ‘something’. It’s her; my underwater enchantress; my angel.

She was spread prostrate on the floor. He ran over to her and fell to his knees.

“Miss, miss,” he called but her head just lolled to the side. He tried to move her into the recovery position but she was a heavy, dead weight. She looks so light and fragile, how is that possible. He tried to check for cuts and bruises but couldn’t find any. How did she survive crashing though my window without any cuts? Wait a minute ... How did she crash though my window? I’m thirty stories up.

Lex stood and strolled over to the gaping hole in his office and stared out. Listening carefully he could hear the sound of sirens and screams. He glanced to the smaller building next to the LuthorCorp tower. Superman was lowering half a helicopter to the roof.

“What is going on,” he said, utterly confused. He pulled out his phone and flipped it open then dialled the emergency services.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois turned to look at the helicopter pilot. He was unconscious. She turned back to look out the glass and smiled in such relief. He’s here. She pushed at the door but it wouldn’t open. He reached out his hands and grabbed onto the side of the helicopter and pulled. The door ripped away and Lois jumped out straight into his arms. She buried her head down into his chest.

“Clark!” she whispered, “Thank goodness you’re here.” She pulled back and looked up into his eyes. Clark lifted a hand and pushed a stray lock of hair behind her ear.

“Lois,” he whispered back. He smiled at her and somehow she knew what it meant. I didn’t think I’d be seeing you again so soon. Lois tipped her head back to look at him even more. He dipped his head slightly and she knew he was about to kiss her. “Lois, I,” he paused. “I have to go. Doomsday. He’ll destroy everything. I need to stop him.”

Lois nodded, disappointed not to taste his lips. A moan from behind her alerted her to the pilot coming round. She glanced quickly and decided to risk it. Lifting her hands to his neck she pulled him down in a desperate kiss. His arms came round her waist and she sighed. When he pulled away they rested against each other’s foreheads.

“I have to go now. But just remember, Lois ... no matter what happens ... I will always love you.” And with that he was gone.

Lois felt as if her heart was being pulled after him. She ran to the edge of the roof and looked out trying to see which direction he had gone. Listening carefully she heard terrible noises. Turning quickly she picked up her bag and headed for the stairs. She needed to get down to the action.

Down to Clark.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Superman sped as fast as he could in the direction of the terrified screams. The warmth of Lois’s lips was still with him and he gritted his teeth in determination. I will not let this monster destroy this world.

He changed his flight direction suddenly when he saw Doomsday leap up just a little off the direction he was heading. Superman struck Doomsday on his back stunning him. Doomsday dropped to the ground almost like a dead weight.

Superman flew after the bony monster and landed next to him. He picked up Doomsday by an ankle and started twisting round and round. Letting go at the right point he sent the monster flying away from the city.

Doomsday landed just outside Metropolis and stood to his feet almost immediately. Superman landed and tried to punch but the monster stepped out of the way. When did he become so quick?

Doomsday struck back and punched Superman squarely on the jaw. He flew back a few metres and felt his back meet resistance. Doomsday made a small jump and brought himself into range again. Superman rose to his feet and tried to strike again but Doomsday sidestepped and then returned the punch. Superman managed to evade and the punch hit the object behind. When he heard an ominous crack Superman turned to look at what had stopped his throw moments ago.

A large support column had a massive crack in it. Superman looked up to see that they were in a construction site; a large shopping mall due to open later next year. The cracking sound increased and Doomsday laughed then kicked at the column again. Superman chased the monster out of the building but Doomsday turned at the last moment and punched him back into the collapsing rubble.

When he managed to dig himself out Superman set off to find where Doomsday had gone. Opening his senses he soon heard the cries of Metropolis citizens and set off in that direction. As he approached he readied himself for an alternative tactic. Grabbing hold of Doomsday from behind and locking his grip Superman leapt into the air and set off for the vacuum of space. Taking as deep a breath as possible he had confidence that this would work. He had not yet attempted space flight since discovering his powers but was sure it was possible.

About half a mile up Doomsday squirmed in his arms and elbowed him in the side. Superman lost his breath and felt a searing pain. He lost his grip and Doomsday dropped back to Earth. Superman felt round to his side and encountered a ragged puncture wound. He pulled his hand away and it was dripping with blood. Strange, how it already felt odd to see his own blood. He stared back down to Earth and took a deep breath. Have to hit him with everything I've got. Have to hope that he has his limits … like I do.

He saw Doomsday pounding on the hood of a car. Superman reversed his body and landed feet first directly on Doomsday. He rolled off and came up to stand a metre away. Doomsday stood and roared in anger. Stepping forwards in giant bangs he continued growling. Superman tensed his arm and aimed a blow straight for Doomsday’s throat. Clipping the chin on the way back out Superman was surprised to see a bit of bone chip off.

Doomsday staggered backwards and then barrelled back into Superman sending him flying. As his trajectory lessened he found himself aiming for the pavement. A tug on his cape jerked him backwards a little and he ended up sprawled on the ground face up. He blinked and brought a spinning globe into focus. The Planet. I’m outside the Daily Planet.

Standing to his feet he felt something tickling his ear. He turned to see a tattered piece of cape fluttering from his back. The rest of it had torn off and was waving from a lamp post.

Feeling rather stunned he was not prepared for Doomsday’s next assault. He found himself held aloft. Doomsday then slammed him back into the street, cracking all the flags around.

When he rose, dizzily to his feet he saw Doomsday slowly advancing on the crowd. When his vision finally cleared he saw that it was actually just one person. Lois. It looked as if she’d just come running out of the Daily Planet doorway. She was now back pedalling furiously with a desperate look on her face. In that moment Clark felt no pain, no weariness. This fight was about to end; whatever it took.

He opened up his heat vision, pouring all his anger into it. Doomsday's hide began to sear and blister and Superman saw the creature drop to his knees. Superman cut off the heat and stepped forward ready to punch the monster but he was surprised when Doomsday kneed him in the chin. He stumbled and Doomsday struck again, slashing him across the chest.

Superman reached up and grabbed Doomsday's fists. He stood and held tight then kicked at Doomsday’s knee. He felt sudden hope when a bony spur broke off. He's weakening. He's finally weakening! He continued to strike at Doomsday’s extremities and bony protrusions. Every snap caused the monster to cry out in pain.

They traded blows back and forth; windows shattering to the sound. They separated for less than a moment then flew at each other for one last time.

Superman fell to his knees as Doomsday collapsed face first into the pavement. Out of the corner of his eye Superman saw someone running towards him. He toppled backwards and felt himself cradled in warm arms.

Clark looked up to see Lois smiling down at him. There were tears in her eyes.

“Doomsday … is he … is he …?” Clark tried to speak but his throat was so dry.

“Down. You stopped him. You saved us all!” Lois spoke in a shuddering tone. She lifted a hand to his cheek and smiled.

Clark finally relaxed. Now I can rest. He closed his eyes and everything went quiet.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois looked down at her fiancée. She wrinkled her brow. “Superman?” She shook him. His body was so heavy, on her knees and in her arms, but she held on tight. There was no response. “Superman?” she shouted louder.

“Help, someone help!” she shouted out to the crowd around. The people looked scared to move, she could see them glancing to the monster in fear. “Doomsday’s dead. Someone please help.” She pleaded with them and eventually a man stepped forward.

Kneeling down he began to feel for a pulse. “I’m Dr Hamilton. I’ll do what I can miss.” Lois stepped back and allowed him to work. She stared in shock while the Doctor tried CPR. Looking down to her hands she sobbed when she saw blood. Superman shouldn’t bleed. Clark shouldn’t bleed.

She wiped her hands on her coat, it didn’t matter that it would be ruined, then sat down to wait.

It seemed like hours passed but it was probably just minutes. Lois spent much of the time staring at Superman’s cape, flapping in the wind off a lamp post. A change in the activity in her peripheral vision brought her out of her thoughts and she turned. The group of medics and helpers which had been crowding round Superman’s body were backing away. Some of them turned and wandered off. Others just stood and looked, hanging their head.

“No!” Lois stood, confused. She walked over to the Doctor and dragged him round to look at her. The sorrow in his eyes was all the confirmation she needed. She shook her head, mouthing ‘no’ over and over.

“I’m sorry, miss. We’ve tried everything but there is nothing more we can do.”

“But he’s Superman,” she pointed to the slain hero. Dr Hamilton just shook his head. Lois turned to look at the body of the man she loved. “But his wounds ... He was cut, he was bleeding. They’ve healed. How can he be dead if his wounds have healed?”

“I don’t know. I really don’t.” He turned and walked away, shaking his head.

Lois turned back to look at Clark’s body. She dropped to her knees suddenly and put her hands to her mouth. She felt the cries well up in her throat and then she buried her head in her hands and sobbed.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."