Print Thread
#261700 03/07/15 03:59 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hello All,

Since my son is at camp this weekend, I'm getting to indulge in a bit of L&C viewing. I've just started rewatching Neverending Battle and I noticed something I hadn't paid particular attention to before. Near the start of the show, Lex is sitting down on his balcony, and two Japanese women bring out a pogo stick which the show Lex and lean against the wall. As if that weren't weird enough, it looks like a girl's pogo stick: It appears to me to be too small for an adult, and it has bright green and pink handles. Lex thanks the women (in Japanese), but does not do anything with the pogo stick. He doesn't seem the least bit surprised at having been given such an odd item; to the contrary, I had the feeling that the women were bringing it to him at his request.

So the challenge: Why does Lex have a girl's pogo stick, and what will he do with it?

If you know of any fanfic already written about this, please point the way.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
From the script it is indeed a pogo stick. What Luthor was going to do with it is anybody's guess because he is diverted and irritated by Superman getting headlines.
LUTHOR lowers the binoculars, smiles, turns to where Asabi
stands by the breakfast table: white linen cloth, sterling
silver service, O.J. fresh squeezed, coffee fresh brewed.
Luthor's smile widens; all's right with his world. He seats
himself. Asabi provides a napkin. Two beautiful JAPANESE
WOMEN, clad in rec: silk dresses slit up one side, appear and
bow. They hold between them a pogo stick. Luthor nods to
them, nods to Asabi, who hands them each a perfect white rose.

JAPANESE WOMEN
(musically, in unison)
Domo arigato.

LUTHOR
Do itashi mashte.

They bow again, denart. Asabi pours coffee, uncovers a
chafing dish of baked squab, serves, steps back. Luthor
rifles through his stack of morning newspapers. A slight
frown creases his forehead.

LUTHOR (Cont'd)
Superman... Superman...
Superman... Superman...

He drops the papers, looks at Asabi.
So it is never explained and we have no idea why it was put there. However, I'm going to speculate that it was meant to show that Luthor was a daring man to plan to jump on a pogo stick on the balcony of the highest building in Metropolis. And then he found out about a man who could fly. That meant he was automatically Luthor's enemy.
cool
Artemis

Last edited by Artemis; 03/08/15 02:05 PM.

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I could see Lex jumping on a pogo stick (after all, he has been known to do some pretty stupid things to prove himself), but if that were the case, I couldn't imagine him using a little girl's pogo stick to do so. I would picture him using a much larger (probably jewel-encrusted) one, instead.

I wonder whether he has a niece?

Joy,
Lynn

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I think it's for one or both of the women. After he was done with his morning breakfast he'd call them back in. One jumping on it while the other laid on the floor (with the one jumping having to jump around her). The danger inherent in that could be a factor in things.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Christina, that is sick, twisted, perverted... and perfectly Lex. Well done!

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I think the answer is clear here - it's for his 8 year old, never addressed, daughter whom he had out of wedlock with another mistress, whom we never got a chance to meet because the show ended FAR too soon.

Or maybe that's just my weird thought process. wink

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
I think the answer is clear here - it's for his 8 year old, never addressed, daughter whom he had out of wedlock with another mistress, whom we never got a chance to meet because the show ended FAR too soon.
That was my thought exactly.

Or maybe that's just my weird thought process. wink
Well, then, I guess you wouldn't be the only one.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Do we know everything we need to know about his relationship with Arianna Carlin? Maybe they secretly had a daughter together (let's call her Alexis)...her 15th birthday is coming up, and Lex is going to send her the pogo stick. Why such a gift that doesn't fit how old she actually is? Because Lex is clueless and disconnected. My dad (who hadn't seen us in years) used to send me and my brother oddly juvenile Christmas gifts on the few years he seemed to remember.

When Alexis gets this POS gift from her father, she gets pissed off and starts bad-mouthing her absent dad. Arianna starts defending him and accidentally slips a clue that identifies Lex as her dad. Alexis is now even more pissed off that the 3rd richest man in the world is sending her crap like this pogo stick. And she starts to plot her revenge...

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
groobie #261754 03/09/15 01:57 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by groobie
Do we know everything we need to know about his relationship with Arianna Carlin? Maybe they secretly had a daughter together (let's call her Alexis)...her 15th birthday is coming up, and Lex is going to send her the pogo stick. Why such a gift that doesn't fit how old she actually is? Because Lex is clueless and disconnected. My dad (who hadn't seen us in years) used to send me and my brother oddly juvenile Christmas gifts on the few years he seemed to remember.

When Alexis gets this POS gift from her father, she gets pissed off and starts bad-mouthing her absent dad. Arianna starts defending him and accidentally slips a clue that identifies Lex as her dad. Alexis is now even more pissed off that the 3rd richest man in the world is sending her crap like this pogo stick. And she starts to plot her revenge...
clap Love it! Someone get writing!

Wouldn't it be funny if Lois and Lex's wedding got interrupted by Alexis instead of Perry and the gang.

ALEXIS: You don't want to marry a man so self-abosorbed he doesn't even introduce you to his daughter first!

LOIS: /to Lex/ You have a kid?

ALEXIS: Kids, lady. What, father dearest, did you forget to mention my big brothers to her, too? /looks Lois up and down/ Geeze, Daddy, she's younger than Jaxon! That's sick!

LOIS: My! Look at the time. I have to see a man about a cape. Tootles.

(okay, now I've ruined groobie's great plot idea with my awful diversion.) I return you to your previous plot thread in 3, 2, 1...

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
LEXIS: Kids, lady. What, father dearest, did you forget to mention my big brothers to her, too? /looks Lois up and down/ Geeze, Daddy, she's younger than Jaxon! That's sick!

That's awesome! rotflol That's really why Jaxon targets Lois and Clark...he's still pissed off that she was nearly his step-mom. clap

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
What wonderful ideas. The off-air daughter is very plausible, DC. Susan, the daughter being 15 years old is an excellent touch. (I am just sorry that it hits so close to home. FWIW, it does for me, as well: My ex-husband usually e-mails me to ask a few days before our son's birthday or Christmas what our son might like. I respond with a number of possibilities in a wide range of prices to that he could choose his own price point -- and I always include in the list an e-gift certificate, since they are so easy to buy. Then about 2:00am the morning after the holiday, our son receives an e-card from my ex. That's it. No gift. Just an e-card. Our son is *severely* affected by autism and has no interest in e-cards; he won't even look at my computer screen.)

Virginia: "I've got to see a man about a cape"? rotflol

You guys are all so creative. I love the stories that are being woven from a simple pogo stick.

Thanks for answering the challenge, and please keep the answers coming. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lynn - Serious hugs to you.

Virginia - Glad I'm not the one weird one! smile Love your little scenario!

Susan - Awesome idea. Write this please!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
Susan - Awesome idea. Write this please!

Sadly, I have no talent for A-plot. My muse lives happily in the gutter. laugh But anyone who wants the plot bunny is more than welcome to it!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Maybe they secretly had a daughter together
Comic trivia: Not with Arianna, but in the comics Lex had a daughter (Lena Luthor) with one of his wives, the Contessa Erica Alexandra Del Portenza (1998, Superman v2 #131).

And now back to your original topic... blush

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Comic trivia: Not with Arianna, but in the comics Lex had a daughter (Lena Luthor) with one of his wives, the Contessa Erica Alexandra Del Portenza (1998, Superman v2 #131).
And a follow-on piece of trivia: Before Lena Luthor was the name of Lex's daughter, it had been the name of his sister. In the Silver Age, he did have a (very) few redeeming qualities, one of which was that he did care for his sister... Enough to let her believe he didn't exist rather than to know that she had a criminal for a brother. Their parents had been so ashamed of Lex that they changed their names to "Thorul" so they wouldn't be identified with him, and they told a very young Lena that her older brother, Lex, had died.

Lex did a number of things in the Silver Age to promote her well being. (I can't think of specifics off the top of my head, however.)

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
All this from a Pogo Stick? With fertile imaginations like that this fandom will be around for years to come!!! dance

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard