The Foundling - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

Lois and Clark, Martha and Jonathan sat around the kitchen table having breakfast. Seeing that Lois had finished her eggs, Martha asked, "More eggs, Dear?"

Lois patted her lips with her napkin, then patted her belly and said, "No thanks, Martha. I've had plenty. It's all so delicious. I love your breakfasts. I'm glad you taught Clark how to cook. I've always been helpless in the kitchen."

Clark stopped her and said, "Not anymore you aren't."

Martha gave her a look and raised an eyebrow.

In reply to the unasked question, Lois smiled and said, "Clark's been teaching me. We started off with simple things. I'm becoming a breakfast chef, although, I'll never be as good as you or Clark, but I can make eggs several ways, French toast and even pancakes and I usually avoid providing a burnt sacrifice in place of breakfast."

Martha smiled and said, "Good. Next time we are in Metropolis, I'll let you cook."

With a frown, Lois said, "Me and my big mouth," but secretly she was pleased that Martha was willing to give her a try.

Clark, Martha and Jonathan all laughed at that one. Eventually, Lois even joined in after she came to the realization that Martha, because of who she was, wouldn't be judgmental if she failed.

Jonathan asked, "So, tell me, what was so important that you needed to make a special trip out here this morning?"

"It is because of the globe."

Not comprehending, Jonathan said, "If you need a globe, I think we still have the one we had when you were in school around here somewhere."

"No, Dad. We don't need a globe. This is about the one we have."

"What's so special about this globe that you needed to come out here?"

"This is a very special globe. It was in the ship that brought me to Earth. When Lois and I broke into Bureau 39's warehouse ... I found my ship under a tarpaulin. On the nose there was a little globe showing the map of the Earth. Out of curiosity I touched it, it, sort of, spoke to me. When it did the image changed and became a map of Krypton. Somehow I knew that it belonged to me so I … stuck it in my pocket and … and I didn't tell Lois anything about it."

"Why didn't you tell Lois about it, son?"

"This was back when I first started at the Planet, before we were together. Lois had a thing for Superman …"

Lois chimed in, "You can say that again. All I could see was Superman. I couldn't see the great guy right there next to me, but that's all ancient history now."

"With all that's been happening, pheromones, nightfall, murders, kidnappings … I just never got around to telling Lois about it. It just sat there in the chest … until last night, or rather early this morning. "

"But why now? Apparently you've had it for months. What happened this morning," Martha asked.

"I don't know, Mom. Except, Jor-El, that's my father's name, said it was 'attuned to me and my companion.' Maybe it and I weren't meant to be separated for so long. Maybe it's taken a while to … warm up and maybe to add Lois."

Lois added a thought, "Or perhaps it took a while for us to be attuned, whatever that means. Could that mean that we are becoming more simpatico or maybe something deeper? Herb said that I was being changed and that eventually that would make it so that we could have babies. Maybe that's the kind of change needed for me to be attuned to you."

Jonathan asked, "What did it show you?"

"My biological parents, their names are, Jor-El and Lara, he called her his life mate, and a world in chaos." He gave Lois a grin and said, "I guess that makes Lois my life mate."

Jonathan was now finding this to be awkward, as the adoptive parent to be speaking of the biological parents, "The people, Jor-El and Lara, do you have any memory of them at all?"

Clark shook his head and said, "No, none."

There was a moment of shared silence that was broken by Lois, "How do you feel about this, Clark?"

"Scared. Excited. Overwhelmed." He paused in thought before he looked at his parents and continued, "I've gone my entire life not knowing how or why I was left on your doorstep. So many unanswered questions ... What was Krypton like? Who were my parents? Did everyone there have powers like me? Will I continue to age normally? Can I die?" He paused again before he continued. He threw up his hands and said, "Now I'm about to find out."

And Now

Chapter 2

The rest of the weekend had been uneventful, except for his regular patrols.

Monday morning, since it was a work day and Clark was quicker at cooking breakfast, it was his chore. Lois practiced on the days that they didn't work.

This morning using his heat vision he had cooked some bacon strips, crispy without being burnt and crumbling them up added them to the egg batter. Pouring it into the buttered pan he started omelets that he added three kinds of cheese to before he folded it over expertly. He brewed a special blend of coffee and added mocha creamer to Lois's and hazelnut to his own before pouring it into their travel mugs and breakfast cups. When Lois made it to the kitchen her breakfast was waiting for her. Before sitting down to partake, however, she moved to Clark, wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him, long and deep.

Looking at the breakfast that was waiting, she said, "I was always a toast or donut and coffee for breakfast person, until you came along. Your mom introduced me to country breakfasts and I started to like them and now I look forward to them in the morning. You spoil me and I love it."

"Just one of the ways I show you that I love you."

"I know," she gave him another brief kiss before she sat down to eat with gusto.

The ride up to the newsroom in the elevator was not the usual intimate time that Lois had gotten used to. There were two ‘suits' that were going to the office suites above in the car with them and Lois felt let down as a result. She had started looking forward to that final kiss with her husband before starting the chores of the day. As the doors opened she resolved that she would have to compensate herself in some manner before too much time had elapsed. She looked at Clark with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

He caught her looking at him and asked, "What?"

"Oh, nothing. Talk to you later."

As they stepped onto the newsroom floor Clark had his hand at the small of Lois's back in a gentle, but not a possessive gesture and it was apparent to both of them that it was going to be a slow news day. Reporters and support staff were going about their routine duties in a relaxed manner.

They both moved to their desks and booted up their workstations to check e-mail.

After checking her e-mail Lois made a show of rummaging through her desk, looking for something. Appearing increasingly frustrated as time passed and she failed to locate the item. She finally slammed closed the drawer she was looking in and standing, walked over to Clark's desk. "Clark, could you give me a hand in the supply room. I need something from a top shelf."

Flicking his monitor to screensaver he stood and said, "Sure, Honey," and followed her to the supply closet.

As they entered, Lois took one final look around and seeing that no one appeared to be interested in them she stepped in after Clark, closed and locked the door. She stood there for a second with her back to the door, facing Clark.

He had heard the click of the lock and turned to see her standing there with a wanton look in her eyes.

That only lasted a second because she launched herself at him.

He caught her and held her as she started a deep, soul-wrenching kiss. He felt her right leg come up and hook around his legs as she ground herself against him. As she raised her leg higher there was a slight tearing sound from her left side as the slit in her skirt lengthened itself.

His hands came up to the back of her head and he twined his fingers in her silky tresses as her hands also played with his hair.

After a minute which seemed like an eternity they broke from the kiss, she clung to him with her arms around his neck and both started panting trying to make up for the oxygen deficit.

After another minute of gasping breaths they separated. Clark asked, "Is this the real reason you needed me in the supply closet?"

She choked back a laugh and said, "Busted."

He smiled and said, "We can't afford to do this too often. People will start to talk."

"I was so frustrated that we didn't have our ‘elevator kiss' this morning. I just had to do something."

He floated up and grabbed an eraser from the top shelf. As he handed it to her he said, "Here you go. I think this was what you were looking for."

She smiled and said, "I got what I needed. Thanks."

She paused at the door to regain her poise before unlocking and opening it.

Hearing the supply room door open, Cat happened to glance up just as they were exiting and was curious. Lois looked a little … flushed. Cat saw Clark exit right behind her so she took a closer look, looking for ‘the' signs. Cat was one that always paid attention to fashion and giving Lois a thorough once over she observed some frayed strings at the top of the slit in her skirt, noting that it was higher than it had been and that her hair was somewhat … mussed.

Smiling in pity at what she could only think of as rookie behavior and nodding to herself, Cat decided that she would have to train her, so she reached into her top drawer and picked up a little packet. As Lois returned to her desk, Cat got up from hers and carrying the little packet moved over to Lois. As Lois sat in her chair Cat approached. Lois looked up into Cat's face as she leaned on Lois's desk with one hand and with the other finger combed Lois's slightly mussed hair.

Lois was surprised at Cat putting her hands on her and she was about to say something, when Cat stopped her, "If you plan to lure your husband into the supply room on a regular basis, take a comb in with you, otherwise people will catch on."

Lois started to blush and asked, "Were we that obvious?"

Cat raised an eyebrow and replied, "Only to me. Oh, and … here," she handed her the little packet, "you will need to carry a sewing kit … for minor repairs." Cat looked significantly at Lois's skirt as she handed it to her.

Lois looked down at her skirt and saw the damage to the slit. She smiled ruefully and said, quietly, "Thanks for the pointers and the kit."

Cat smiled and said, "Anytime. Any more questions, just ask the pro."

As Cat retreated to her desk, Jimmy came in with his nose buried in a magazine.

As Cat picked up a nail file and started on her nails, Jimmy sat down in Lois's visitor chair and grunted, "Huh!"

Happy for any distraction, to take her mind off of her super sexy husband and back to business even though that was the lesser alternative, Lois asked, "What?"

Jimmy slapped the magazine and said, "According to Metropolis Science Magazine, the statistical probability that any two people living in Metropolis are blood relations, is over ninety percent."

Cat stopped her filing and with a tone of disbelief asked, "You and I are related?"

In an offhand manner, he replied, "As long as our families have lived in the area at least three generations."

Cat gave Jimmy a look of disbelief and then said, "I don't think so!"

Lois was starting to enjoy this discussion. Cat's discomfiture with the idea of being related to Jimmy was too good to pass up. She reached over and put her hand under Jimmy's chin and turned his face profile to profile. Then she looked at Cat and said, "I don't know ... There *is* a definite family resemblance." Even as she was saying it she started to feel bad. Cat had just covered for her and here she was repaying that kindness with teasing.

Cat was stunned at this assertion, but chose to try to cover it up by returning to filing her nails as if unconcerned and repeated her earlier statement, "I don't think so."

Jimmy was up for a challenge and saw this as an opportunity, "Wanna bet? That you and I are related by blood?"

Cat was actually sensing blood in the water. This had to be a sure thing, "What are the stakes?"

Clark had finished going through his e-mail and was starting to pay attention to the discussion just as Jimmy announced the stakes, "If I win … a night of passion."

Cat sneered, "Whose … yours or mine?"

Jimmy, in a voice lacking some confidence said, "Optimistically, ours." His voice faded almost to inaudibility as he finished, "Realistically, mine."

Lois spoke up, "And if you lose?"

Cat scoffed, "When you lose."

Jimmy, fearing the worst said, "Name it."

Cat's bravado had returned along with that blood in the water scent, "You repaint my apartment, every room, top to bottom." In an aside to Lois she added, "Pink fades."

Jimmy was crushed at what his penalty would be, but then his confidence reasserted itself and he reached out to shake on it.

Without being asked to be the judge, Lois assumed that position, "I expect detailed family histories including charts from both of you no later than tomorrow. Also, blood tests."

Perry was dressed in a shirt and tie with his vest on and his sleeves rolled up as he walked out into the bull pen. He stopped near Lois's desk and clearing his throat said, in a loud voice, "Everyone, listen up. Your editor-in-chief has an announcement."

Cat, Jimmy and Lois were so engrossed in their conversation that they completely ignored Perry. The rest of the newsroom staff didn't have even that excuse, but the result was the same, total disinterest.

Cat spluttered out, "Why … why blood tests?"

Jimmy tried to minimize it, "She's kidding."

Lois looked at him and said, emphatically, "No, I'm not!"

Perry tried once more, "Your editor-in-chief has an announcement to make to anyone currently employed by the Daily Planet and about to undergo their quarterly salary and expense review."

The word ‘salary' penetrated the fog of the discussion and grabbed everyone's attention. Silence reigned and Perry looked around in gratification. He said, "Much better."

He waved some papers that he was holding in the air as he said, "It is my pleasure to announce that this year's candidates for the Meriwether Award for Journalistic Excellence have just been released and the Daily Planet's very own writing team," he used his hands to indicate Lois and Clark, "of Lois Lane and Clark Kent are among the nominees."

There was a burst of applause from around the room along with shouted congratulations.

Lois wanted to stand up and take a bow, but decided that it would be best to appear honored and humble so she simply smiled and said a general, "Thank you."

Clark was pleased, but truly humble and simply smiled and nodded.

Over his shoulder, Jimmy shouted to Clark, "C.K.! You're the man!" Then he caught sight of Lois's glare, after all she was part of the team as well, and in a small voice he added, "And, Lois, you're the woman."

Cat added, "More or less. I guess more, now that she's married to Clark. He seems to bring it out in her; of course he would do that with any woman."

Perry deemed that enough adulation had been bestowed and decided to call a halt, "All right, all right, back to work. It's an announcement, not a national holiday."

As everyone returned to their tasks, Perry turned to his star reporting team and said, "Good job you two. Just don't expect to rest on your laurels." He turned to Lois and asked, "How you coming on that piece on the recent rise in crime in Metropolis?"

Lois tried to be vague as she replied, "You know, gathering information, checking sources, compiling data. That sort of thing."

Perry was not easily fooled and asked, "That bad, huh?"

Lois shrugged and replied, "I'm still looking for an angle."

Lois started nervously tapping her desk with the eraser of her pencil as Perry delivered some pearls of wisdom, "Angles, unlike angels or demigods in capes, don't just drop from the sky, Lois." To emphasize his point, he pointed to the heavens and Lois stopped tapping and followed his pointing finger automatically as he continued, "We have to create them." He looked back and forth between Lois and Clark as he continued in a semi-conspiratorial manner, "The Committee vote on the Meriwether Award is only a couple of days away. Be nice to show them a strong finishing kick."

Lois gave her desk a few more, even harder taps before she threw her pencil down and buried her face in her hands in frustration.

Just then Clark's phone rang. Perry took that as his cue to leave and headed back toward his office.

Clark lifted the receiver and said, "Daily Planet, Clark Kent."

Clark listened intently and a look of concern creased his features, then he said, "We'll be right there, thanks," and hung the phone up.

Lifting her head and looking at Clark, Lois gave him a questioning look and asked, "What?"

"That was our neighbor, our apartment has been robbed!" Standing he grabbed his coat and shouted to Perry who was just about to disappear into his office, "Perry, we have to go. Our apartment has been robbed."

Upon hearing his name, Perry had turned and hearing what Clark said, waved them off and said, "Go. Deal with it."

Lois was shocked and started mumbling, "This is awful. To be violated that way again. To have absolute strangers pawing through our personal belongings, to endure it ... AGAIN!"

As they entered the elevator, Lois said, "Look on the bright side. Maybe this is the angle I've been looking for."

As the doors closed he whispered, "I hope they didn't find the spare Suits … or … or the globe. Things that will tie us to Superman."

The ramifications of what had happened finally hit her and she growled in frustration at the old elevator, "Can't this thing move any faster?"

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 02/06/15 11:50 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj