#260368 01/01/15 09:21 PM
T
TriciaW Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Hey FoLCs! smile1

It’s time to start thinking about the 2015 Kerth Awards.

The Kerth committee for 2015 is Annette, Amber, Susan (Groobie) and Tricia but we couldn’t do it without all the FoLCs who dedicate their time and energy to making this ceremony even more fun. Susan (Groobie) will be running and coordinating the quizzes. And most of all, we’ve got all the writers and readers, without whom the awards wouldn’t exist at all!

Here’s some information about the staff and about the 2015 ceremony. Please take a moment to read this.

Staff organization

Tricia is our Kerth Coordinator. Decisions are taken collectively after being discussed among all K-Com members, but as coordinator she gets the last word if there's a disagreement. We usually tend to agree, though. *g* Tricia will also handle the PR side of things. She will make the official posts.

Annette is our techie geniuses. She maintains the website and she is our official security guard, i.e. she checks for fraud in nominations and votes. She knows everything there is to know about IP numbers and such. smile

Tricia is in charge of the nominations. She receives each nomination form, counts all the noms separately, compares the numbers to make sure there’s no error and then tallies them so the official ballot can be released within two weeks at most. Annette checks to see that all the data is accurate.

Kathy MacFarlane and Tricia are our official vote-talliers. Both get your forms and count them to make sure there’s no error.

Amber is the Kerth Ceremony coordinator. She will be asking for volunteers to assist and be IRC tech people for the ceremony.

2015 schedule

The quizzes will commence on Monday 12 January and finish on Thursday 19 February.

Nominations will run from Saturday, February 21 to Sunday, March 8, midnight EST. The official ballot will be released two weeks at most after all the nominations are in.

Voting will run from Saturday, March 28 to Sunday, April 5, midnight EST. That will give us a week to tally the votes and prepare the list of winners.

The ceremony will take place on IRC on Saturday, April 18, time to be decided.

2015 categories

Best Super Short (1-10k): Very short stories.

Best Short Story (11-50k): Short stories of any subject or tone.

Best Mid-Length Story (51-200k): Mid-length stories of any subject or tone.

Best Long/Epic Story (Over 201k): Long stories of any subject or tone.

Best Revelation Story: Stories which contain a revelation about Clark being Superman. The person finding out can be Lois or any other character.

Best Original / Supporting Character: Rewards a special character from stories which strongly highlight a supporting character from the series or creates a new, interesting character that plays an important role in the story. No size restrictions. (Sorry, but versions - no matter how altered - of Clark or Lois do not qualify as Original or Supporting Characters)

Best First Kiss: No size restrictions.

Best Comedy: No size restrictions.

Best Overall Story: A story of any type that is outstanding overall. No size restrictions.

Best New Author

And if there’s still a question we haven’t answered, feel free to email me. We’ll be happy to help you!

The Kerth Committee cool
(Tricia, Annette, Amber and Susan)

TriciaW #260372 01/01/15 10:05 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Holy cow! Are we already almost to Kerth season? shock

I hope this doesn't sound like whining (because it most definitely isn't), but is it possible to bring back some (or all) of the old categories? I know this was brought up last year and it was decided (I think) to leave it at fewer categories and revisit the subject again in the future. Is it that much more work for the K-Comm to have more categories? Having more categories would give so many more writers a shot at getting some recognition for all their hard work. Could we put it to a poll? Bring back only three or four of the old categories? The ones now missing that I can remember are:

Comedy
WAFF
Drama
Relationship
Episode Adaptation
Tearjerker
Alternate Universe

No Best New Author seems a glaring omission, regardless of whether the other categories get reinstated. Were there no new authors in 2014?

No matter how it plays out, I want to thank you wonderful ladies for all the time and effort you're about to put in for us all. sloppy

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Sue S. #260373 01/01/15 10:08 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally Posted by Sue S.
No Best New Author seems a glaring omission, regardless of whether the other categories get reinstated. Were there no new authors in 2014?
There were at least three that I saw going by the tweet announcements, myself being one of them.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
TriciaW #260374 01/01/15 10:13 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
First, thank you in advance to the Kerth committee and to anyone else who has or will contribute to the ceremonies. This includes (but is not limited to) the quiz writers, the presenters, the ad writers, and, of course, the fanfic authors themselves.

I agree with Sue in that I, too, would love to see the old categories brought back, if it wouldn't be too much extra work.

Joy,
Lynn

Lynn S. M. #260375 01/01/15 10:19 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I would also like to see some of the old categories come back, if possible.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
TriciaW #260376 01/01/15 10:39 PM
T
TriciaW Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Best New Author was left out. Thank you for picking this up. I have now added it.

As for other categories, I'm waiting to get a list of eligible stories. The number of stories is getting fewer and fewer. We do not have enough to have lots of categories. When we know how many stories there are, we will consider the categories.

Tricia cool

TriciaW #260377 01/01/15 10:47 PM
Kerth
Kerth
As for other categories, I'm waiting to get a list of eligible stories. The number of stories is getting fewer and fewer. We do not have enough to have lots of categories. When we know how many stories there are, we will consider the categories.

I can see your point for some of the categories, like "Elseworld". But I'm inclined to lobby heavily for the others. It means so, so, so much as an author to get a nomination, and it costs the committee nothing to give them out (I assume, unless there's an exponential hassle involved with each additional category). I understand there's more work in having to count all those added categories, but it sure seems like it would be worth it.

I swear on Perry's toupee that I'm not trying to make trouble for the K-Comm! I really am very grateful for all you've done and will do for us authors. But hey, we're already gonna go through what must sometimes feel like a logistical nightmare for you guys, so why not share the love? laugh

Last edited by Sue S.; 01/01/15 11:07 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
TriciaW #260378 01/01/15 10:48 PM
T
TriciaW Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Annette has been working on a new refreshed Kerth site. Here is the link Kerths

Thanks, Annette! smile1

Tricia cool

TriciaW #260391 01/02/15 04:08 AM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks, Annette! clap clap clap The site looks GREAT!

And amazing banner, Victoria hyper. Love the pictures you chose!

Laura

(I, too, really like the idea of these other categories being added--if it works out to add them).

Last edited by LMA; 01/02/15 04:10 AM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
TriciaW #260401 01/02/15 11:34 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm with Sue. I miss the old categories.

Anyway, the site looks great! smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

TriciaW #260410 01/02/15 01:15 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I've sent off the spreadsheet to Tricia and I have to say it was a shockingly short list. frown I hadn't realised just how short until I separated the data for the year out from the rest. Just 74 stories.

So I hope there are more stories out there to be added that never made it to the Archive last year. (And while we're on that subject...why didn't they get submitted? Huh? Shame on you. goofy )

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
TriciaW #260411 01/02/15 01:51 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Fabulous New Banner!!!! Cheers for Victoria! Can I suggest that we put the year in the title of the page? I like to keep the old ones. I already solved the problem for me, but others might like it too.
I would like to suggest the return of the "Episode Adaption" category. There is a lot of that in the stories this year and it would be a fun contest.
Also Tank did make the deadline for his TOGOM story for 2014 so I hope that is included. It's a short but excellent one as usual.
My personal opinion is that we are short in the number of stories for 2014 because a lot of stories are continuing in 2015.
So we should see more stories next year.
Again, thanks for all the hard work to come. And thanks to Annette for getting the nfic site back up and running.
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
TriciaW #260412 01/02/15 04:01 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Tank's story wasn't uploaded to the Archive last year, so it won't appear on the basic list. If it's to be included he will have to mail K-Comm and ask them to add it in.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
TriciaW #260414 01/02/15 06:23 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ah, right. Good point. I forgot that.
r/
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
TriciaW #260434 01/03/15 06:47 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Is it that time of the year again? And the new one hasn't even really started yet. Oh boy oh boy oh boy...

Awesome banner, Vic! Also, can't wait to see the Kerth Award plaques you come up with hyper

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
TriciaW #260440 01/03/15 10:29 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I guess the I am probably sounding like a broken record when I say that I also would like to see at least some of the 'old' categories reinstated. I think I said the same thing last year.

A poll sounds like a good idea.

Last edited by KenJ; 01/03/15 10:29 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
TriciaW #260441 01/03/15 10:30 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I like the old categories, too. When I was first looking for LnC stories to read, the links to winners and nominees in the old categories led me to some great stories and authors.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
T
TriciaW Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Please note categories have been changed slightly, after looking at eligible stories.

Tricia cool

Artemis #260560 01/10/15 12:41 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally Posted by Artemis
Can I suggest that we put the year in the title of the page? I like to keep the old ones. I already solved the problem for me, but others might like it too.
Artemis

I plan on updating the site this weekend and that will include a new banner specifically for this year.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard