The Ides of Metropolis - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously:

After they had all been gathered for a time the girls and guys separated, the girls for 'girl talk' and the guys to talk sports.

Rachel and Lois had become acquainted when Lois and Clark had been there during the Trask incident and were really just getting to know one another. Now that she was dating Billy she could release any designs she might have had on Clark and look at the relationship that he had with Lois objectively. What she saw was a woman that actually glowed with happiness and a man that was completely satisfied with his life. She noted the little glances that the couple shared even as they interacted with the others in their group. She sighed and thought to herself, <It's a good thing that I finally gave up on Clark and found Billy. Clark is very much taken.>

Pete Ross and Billy Eck were catching up with Clark. They had been called the three musketeers in high school because they were always together. Pete had always worried about Clark, ever since that camping trip when he had awakened to see Clark floating above his sleeping bag. He had kept a close eye on Clark from that time on and little by little seen how his powers were being used to help people, like the time he picked up a tree that had fallen on Billy so that they could get him out. That was one of the reasons he had made it his personal duty to protect the quarterback. He didn't want one of the opposing players to get hurt trying to tackle Clark. Billy had been the tight end and Clark's ‘go to guy' in a pinch on the field. Between them they had led the Crows to a State Championship their senior year.

Pete knew that Clark was a good guy and he never worried that he would abuse those powers. When Superman made his debut he had been happy that Clark had found a way to use his abilities openly. He hadn't doubted for a single second that it was Clark in the colorful suit. Pete had always worried about Clark having a romantic relationship. Could any woman cope with what Clark could do and what he did do for humanity. After meeting Lois, after seeing how happy they were together, seeing the little glances they exchanged even while they interacted with the others of their group he knew that he could put those fears to rest.

When the other girls took off their long winter coats, Lois had noted the way that Rachel and Lana were dressed. Both were wearing short flouncy skirts with crinolines under them and western boots. The boots made a lot of sense to Lois, the snow from Christmas was still hanging around, but the short skirts had her wondering. She asked Rachel, "How come you guys are dressed like this. Isn't it kinda cold to be wearing something that short?"

Rachel and Lana both laughed at the question and then Rachel explained, "When we leave here, we're going to the New Year's Eve dance at the Grange Hall. We were going to ask you and Clark if you wanted to go too."

Lois smiled and said, "I'd love to and I'm sure Clark would too. Let me check." She turned to Clark and asked, "Clark? Do you want to go to the New Year's dance at the Grange Hall?"

Smiling, Clark said, "Did you bring your dress and boots?"

Nodding, Lois said, "I wouldn't be without them when I'm here in Smallville."

"Then, all right. I guess we'll need to change clothes."

At the dance, Lois was in the middle between Lana and Rachel while Pete, Clark and Billy were in line behind their respective partners.

This time there was a friendly competition between the girls At the end of the dance, both Rachel and Lana admitted that the dance queen trophy had to go to Lois. She was a natural and had outdone both of her friends and they were all now friends. Their friendship had been cemented during the course of the day.

As they were leaving the dance the three girls all shared a group hug and promised to get together again, soon.

By the time they got home, to the farm, Lois was tired, but very happy. She had a husband that loved her and whom she in turn loved very much and now had a couple of wonderful girlfriends. It had always been hard for Lois to make friends, but ever since she and Clark had gotten married, it just seemed easier, somehow.

And now:

Chapter 3

After New Year's they had returned to Metropolis.

As they were getting ready in the morning, Lois was saying, "I had such a good time with your parents. I can't tell you how happy I am to be a part of this family. Christmas was wonderful. The dance was fun and New Year's was quiet, but that was nice too. Now I really have to shift gears. The trial was recessed for the holidays, but it will be back in session today. There is a possibility that the case could even go to the jury."

"Do you have any feeling on how it is going to go?"

"There is really only one way it can go. Eugene signed a confession. For the life of me, I don't know why. It had to have been under duress. I don't see how the judge even allowed it."

"You sound like you're not convinced of his guilt."

"No. No, I'm not. We'll just have to wait and see. I'll drop you off at the Planet on my way to the court."

"Thanks."

When Lois arrived in court one of the bailiffs was just bringing in Eugene Laderman. Eugene was a mild mannered man, a computer geek of slight build whose pale skin reflected the many hours he spent in front of a computer monitor, jokingly referred to as a computer tan, and who now looked very afraid. The vicissitudes of real life had almost overcome him. He was sweating profusely, even in the cool courtroom.

Lois was near the front on the other side of the gallery. A couple of minutes after Eugene was brought in the Clerk of the Court announced, "All rise!"

The judge entered and as he sat down said, "Please be seated."

As everyone took their seats, Eugene looked around and made eye contact with Lois. She nodded in acknowledgement.

The jury filed in and took their seats. The judge addressed the jury, "I wish to express my thanks to the members of the jury for suffering through this delay. If we had finished up earlier the last day we could have been finished. Now it is time to deliver the charge."

The judge went on to charge the jury, reiterating the duty to weigh the evidence and bring back the appropriate verdict. As soon as he finished the charge, the jury was guided by a bailiff to the deliberation room.

As soon as the jury left Eugene was taken to a holding cell. The rest of the spectators dispersed. Most of the reporters gathered in a coffee shop nearby.

An hour and a half later a messenger that had been dispatched by the Clerk of the Court arrived at the coffee shop and announced that the jury had reached a verdict. There was a mad scramble as the reporters all settled their bills and headed back to the courtroom. Lois, had been careful to pay her bill immediately, therefore she was among the first out of the shop and into the courtroom.

As she waited the bailiff brought Eugene in and guided him to the defense table. A few minutes later the judge entered and the Clerk shouted, "All rise!"

Once he was seated he said, "You may be seated. Bailiff, bring in the jury."

In response the jury filed in and took their seats.

While the jury filed in, Eugene looked at Lois. Making eye contact with her she could see a plea in his eyes for her to believe in him. She smiled and nodded in response.

Once they were all seated the judge said, "The defendant will please rise," and then addressed the foreman of the jury, "To the charge of murder in the first degree, how say you?"

The foreman stood and facing the judge said, "To the charge of murder in the first degree: guilty."

Hearing this, Eugene was visibly shaken and almost collapsed. His lawyer held him up and requested, "Please poll the jury."

The judge turned to the jury and one by one had them state their agreement with the verdict.

There was really no surprise. From the time that his signed confession had been admitted into evidence the conclusion had been a foregone one.

Even so, Lois had a shocked expression. Her reporter's instinct and her famous intuition had led her to the conclusion that he was in fact innocent.

Sitting in another row was a woman with a very self-satisfied smile. This verdict had vindicated the work she had put in on this case. She was Detective Sergeant Betty Reed and she was certainly no fashion plate. Her brown hair was frizzy and unkempt like it hadn't seen a brush in a week. Her clothes were serviceable, but went a long way toward hiding the fact that she was in fact a woman, slacks, a jacket over a blouse and flats being her normal wear. It actually made sense to Lois. Whenever she was doing a B&E job she always dressed for conflict wearing slacks or jeans a dark top and running shoes. For Reed, dressing that way would facilitate foot pursuit of a suspect. Lois actually felt some pity for the woman. If she could only do something with her hair she might actually become attractive, in a homely way.

After the members of the jury had resumed their seats, the judge turned to Eugene and asked, "Mr. Laderman, before this court imposes sentence, do you have anything to say?"

Eugene was visibly shaken and so was his voice as he answered, "I'm innocent, Your Honor."

If the judge had any inclination toward mercy, he didn't show it, nor was he in any way moved by Eugene's protestation of innocence. He lifted his gavel and said, "It is the decision of this court that Eugene Laderman be immediately transported to the Metropolis Maximum Security Prison to begin serving a term of life without the possibility of parole." When he finished speaking he banged down his gavel and said, "This court is adjourned."

As he stood to leave two bailiffs stepped up behind Eugene to take him into custody. As they stepped up behind Eugene each placed a hand on one of his shoulders. In a panic, Eugene looked around the gallery and finding Lois gave her a pleading look as he was taken away.

Lois could only watch as Eugene was led away, her frustration building.

Lois was among the first to leave the courtroom, but necessarily it was still some time after Eugene had been led out. On previous occasions she had been able to interview Eugene in the holding room while waiting for transport back to the prison. She headed in that direction now.

When she turned the corner of the hallway she saw that a bailiff named Ben was on guard duty. She had dealt with him on a number of previous occasions and she had gotten to know him, quite well. She always did this because she knew that sooner or later that knowledge would be useful.

She strode up to Ben and asked, in her sweetest tone, "Could I have a minute to talk with Eugene?"

Ben was standing as rigidly, as one of the Beefeaters on post and relaxed only slightly as he replied, "No can do, Ms. Lane. Now that he's been convicted you'll have to go to the jail to see him. Rules are rules."

Lois lost her sweet tone as she replied, "Don't tell me what the rules are, Ben. I've broken every one of them before."

Ben dropped some of the formality and relaxed his stance slightly, "I can't let you in there, Lois."

Lois changed her tone again, this time it was more wheedling, "But you *know* me. I've been covering this trial since it started. I just want to get a statement."

Ben started to object, "It's against the …"

Lois interrupted and used the information she had gathered over the course of time and asked, "You're a football fan, right?"

Ben was obviously being tempted, as he replied, "Depends on where I'm sitting."

Knowing she had hit pay dirt, Lois reached into her bag thanking her lucky stars that she had prepared for this eventuality. She pulled out two tickets and showing them to Ben, asked, "How about the fifty yard line?"

The temptation proved to be too much. Ben grabbed the tickets and shoved them into his pocket as he turned and punched a code into the door lock. As the door was opening, he said, "Ten minutes."

As the door started to swing open he started to step back. Before he was completely clear, Lois started forward. Before she was able to pass the door she stopped and both she and Ben gaped at the empty room.

Lois and Ben exchanged a glance. Lois held out her hand and Ben reluctantly dug into his pocket and returned the tickets which, without a word, Lois immediately stuffed back in her bag.

Late in the afternoon, Clark had been called away from the Planet on a rescue. By the time he finished up with that it was already getting dark so instead of heading back to the Planet he headed home hoping that Lois would already be there. As he was approaching he looked for her Jeep, but he didn't see it and was disappointed that she wasn't home yet. He was wondering what could have delayed her when he heard a noise coming from the apartment.

Cautiously he landed on the balcony and looked in through the window. All he could see was a large, burly man with a flashlight prowling around. Quietly he let himself in and then super sped over, grabbed the intruder and spun him around.

When he did the hand with the flashlight changed direction and illuminated the face of the intruder.

There was instant recognition and Clark blurted out, "Dad? Don't scare me like that!"

Jonathan replied in a shaky tone, "Scare *you*? How'd you like to be tackled by Superman?"

Properly chastised, Clark said, "Sorry. What happened to the lights?"

"I don't know. Fuse must have blown."

Clark moved to the fuse box, reset a breaker and threw the main power switch on. As soon as he did the lights flared on. When they did, Clark finally got a good look at his father. He was rather disheveled and careworn. Between that and his unexpected arrival in Metropolis he realized that there had to be a major problem in Smallville.

Clark said, "Have a seat, Dad. I'll change and join you."

Jonathan headed for the couch, Clark super sped through the bedroom, changing into jeans and a sweatshirt as he did and met Jonathan in the living room.

As they both sat down, Clark broke the silence, "You're the last person in the world I expected to see. We just left you and mom, day before yesterday. Everything okay at home?"

Looking down, Jonathan started to answer, "No. Son …" He trailed off as if deep in thought, considering just how to answer. Finally he decided to just put it out there. Hesitantly, he spoke up, "I think … I think your Mom's having an affair … with a younger man."

There was a look of stark disbelief on Clark's face when he heard this. When he got his thoughts together he said, "Dad, don't be ridiculous."

Shaking his head in chagrin, Jonathan continued, as if speaking to himself, "What am I going to do? How can I compete? The guy's forty-seven. He doesn't need glasses. He can see his toes. To top it off: he's an artist."

Clark tried to reassure his father, "Dad, Mom would never … Dad, you said he was an artist. There's nothing wrong with him painting her portrait."

Jonathan interrupted him by jumping up and saying, "Take a look at this. I found it, right after you guys left, in the barn, covered up." As he was speaking, Jonathan was walking back toward the entryway. Next to the steps was an item that Clark had not noticed. Jonathan picked it up. It was obviously a picture. As Jonathan uncovered it, Clark could see that it was a painting of a nude woman reclining on a chaise lounge. Upon closer inspection, Clark gasped out, "Mom???"

Jonathan said, "He painted her … this way. If this isn't proof …"

It was late afternoon when Eugene made his escape and the investigation into it had lasted well into the evening. The courthouse had been on lock-down and no one was allowed to leave or enter. Courthouse staff and police were everywhere. Police forensics teams were dusting surfaces for prints and looking for any other types of evidence.

Lois, because she had been responsible for the discovery and Ben, the bailiff that had been on guard were in the holding room that Eugene was supposed to have been in and they were being questioned by the detective that had been the one to bring Eugene in, in the first place, Detective Reed.

Lois was sitting at the table and Detective Reed was questioning her. "Okay, and when the door opened?"

Lois, near exasperation replied, "Like I told you, twenty times already, he was gone."

Detective Reed was interrupted by a police technician who approached. He had a pad in his hand and referred to his notes as he presented his report, "He accessed the code number from the central courtroom computer. And the evidence room was broken into. A gun is missing, a thirty-eight revolver. There is no ammunition missing though."

Lois made a mental note of this report.

Ben started to speak in his own defense, "Detective Reed, I don't think that ..."

Whatever Ben thought we will never know, because Detective Reed cut him off, "You don't *think*, period. I'll be mentioning the fact that you opened the door for Ms. Lane in my report."

Lois came to her friend's defense, "It wasn't his fault. I ... made him do it."

Reed shrugged Lois's statement off, "He wasn't following procedure."

Lois pointed out, "If he hadn't opened that door, you might still not know that he escaped."

Reed looked thoughtful and then said, "You're free to go, for now."

Lois said, "Thank you," somewhat sarcastically, sent Ben a look of apology, as if to say, ‘I tried,' and turned to go.

Lois exited the courthouse and headed for her car pulling her keys out of her bag as she walked. As she approached the car she hit the remote door lock button to unlock the car. Glancing at the windshield she saw a piece of paper. Picking it up she let out a growl of frustration and muttered to herself, "Another parking ticket." She shoved it into her bag, climbed in and put the key in the ignition. She put on her seat belt, turned the key to start the car and then looked in her rearview mirror prior to driving off. When she did she saw a shadowy figure in back. Suddenly .38 cal revolver protruded from between the front seats and Lois stared at it in fascination.

When he spoke, Lois recognized the voice and knew just who it was, Eugene. He said, "Drive."

Rather than do as he commanded, Lois turned around in her seat to confront him, "Eugene! What are you doing?"

In a deflated tone, he replied, "Just … drive."

Realizing that the front of the courthouse was not the best place to have this conversation, Lois put the Jeep into gear and drove off. Lois drove for a short time and then found an alleyway to pull into which she did. Once in the alley, Lois put the Jeep in park and shut off the engine.

Turning in her seat to face him, Lois said, "Eugene, this isn't going to work. Everyone's looking for you."

Eugene tried to sound commanding as he said, "I said drive," and waved the gun around.

Undeterred, Lois replied, "I know what you said, Eugene. Now give me that gun before you get into even more trouble."

Eugene shrugged his shoulders and with a chagrined look handed it over. He said, "It wasn't loaded anyway."

Lois replied, "I know. I heard all about it."

After Lois had the gun, he said, "Even if it had been loaded, I never would have …"

"I know, Eugene. I know you wouldn't have."

Eugene sounded like he had reached the end of his rope as he said, "Ms. Lane. You're the only one I could turn to." He looked around before he continued, "You know all the evidence against me was circumstantial. You know I didn't kill Henry Harrison."

Lois had a sympathetic look as she said, "Eugene, I believe you're innocent. But you're also an escaped felon now, 'armed and dangerous.' What are you going to do?"

Eugene was a pathetic sight as he replied, "I don't know except ... I have to see Lena. Something's wrong. She didn't even look at me during the trial; she never visited me in jail."

The tone in Lois's voice was one of humoring an errant child as she replied, "Eugene, you were just convicted of killing her husband."

Eugene was desperate to prove his point as he said, "But she loves me! And I love her. Please. I have to talk to her. Help me."

Lois gave him a sympathetic look and started the car.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 12/30/14 01:36 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj