Band of Blue TOC

Chapter 10

Clark touched down in an alley round the corner, hopefully out of sight. His heart was pounding in his chest. He’d kept his cool while rescuing the bus passengers, in fact, that had been easy. His focus had been completely on the rescue. It was afterwards; as he was placing the final passenger to the floor, that the attention he was drawing had become obvious. There had been plenty of camera flashes as he helped the victims of the bus crash. Lois would have her visual proof now. Lois was another of the reasons for his soaring heart rate. She had run out from the crowd just as he flew off. He still worried that she would recognise him. I suppose the next few days will show whether I can pull off a secret identity or not. Pictures will be in every paper, someone is bound to recognise me if the hair and glasses are not enough of a difference.

Clark was about to rush back to his clothes and his partner when he heard something behind him.

“Kal-El,” said a familiar voice. He turned and was stunned to see the new CEO of LuthorCorp standing staring at him. From somewhere he found an acting ability which covered up the true extent of his internal terror.

“Miss Mercer. How can I help you?” he said in a deep, confident voice.

“Kal-El, I have something for you.” She spoke in a very detached tone. There was no emotion in her words.

“How do you know that name, Miss Mercer?” he asked.

“These stones belong to you.” She held out her hand and Clark looked to see a deep blue crystal in a pentagonal shape. “They are for your use only. An unworthy man tried to use them and so I banished him from this world.” Clark couldn’t move. This was another unknown to add to his life now. Crystal? Unworthy man?

“Kal-El, you must take them. You will know what to do with them.” Clark reached out slowly and touched the blue crystal. It was warm to his touch and he felt a slight vibration. He gently took the crystal from Tess Mercer’s hand. As he stepped back he looked back up into her face. It was still expressionless. He took another step away and she collapsed to the floor. He rushed back to her side.

“Miss Mercer!” he called, “Miss Mercer!” He tried to shake her awake but she was comatose on the ground. He looked up and around, there was no-one nearby. I can’t be seen again, and definitely not with Tess Mercer of LuthorCorp, but ... Clark Kent could. He sped away then returned in seconds, normal suit on, hair slicked back and glasses in place. He picked up the unconscious red-head and carried her out of the alleyway.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Tess felt herself being carried. She groaned and lifted her hand to her head. Opening her eyes she looked up to see the face of the man carrying her. She was a little stunned at first. Why am I being carried? Why was I unconscious? Eventually she came too fully and realised that she was in a vulnerable position. “Hey, what do you think you are doing? Put me down.” She struggled ever so slightly in his arms but there was no movement. He stopped walking and looked down at her. Quickly placing her feet down on the ground he then let go.

“I’m sorry, Miss Mercer. I found you unconscious in the alleyway. I was bringing you out here to see a paramedic.” He seemed a little shy ... and worried, but at least he was actually being a caring citizen rather than ... anything else.

“Thank you,” she replied in a voice she hoped was worthy of her position. She glanced down to his chest and noticed a name tag. “Thank you, Mr Kent, but I’m fine.”

“Are you sure? What happened in that alley?” he asked. His concern was quite touching. She struggled to answer for a moment. What did happen? The last I remember was standing on the front steps peering over the crowds who were staring at the wreck.

“Er. Don’t worry about me Mr Kent. And don’t go printing any made up story, either. What I was doing in that alley is my own private business. You just stick to the facts of the Press Conference.”

“Clark, Clark!” came a voice from the crowd. Tess turned to see a familiar reporter rushing towards them. “Clark where did you rush off to? You missed it all. My mysterious superhero turned up again and this time there’s proof. Perry won’t deny me the story now.” Lois Lane was talking to her rescuer. How odd, thought Tess. Lois was present when I became ... attached ... to that crystal. Tess put her hand automatically in her pocket. Her eyes widened but she managed to restrain herself from shouting out loud. She turned to look at the tall reporter who claimed to have found her unconscious in the alley. Clark Kent was present when it disappeared. And they seem to know each other.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark spent the rest of the afternoon at his desk typing up the story of the interrupted Press Conference. His attention kept wandering to the woman across from him. She was worked up about something. He could see the nervousness, the tension, the frustration radiating from every pore. Finally he spoke up.

“Lois, what’s up? You’re acting like a dog that can see his bone on the other side of a glass door, but can’t get through the door.”

“He ignored me,” she snapped at him. “I ran up to him and he flew off. I found him, he was mine first; before all those other vultures saw him today, and now I’ll be scooped because Perry wouldn’t print my story before now and ... and ... he ignored me!”

“You said that already,” Clark pointed out.

Lois gave him an angry look. “Don’t start, Smallville. You weren’t even there. ‘Had to go to the bathroom.’ You missed the biggest news story this century because of your weak bladder.”

Clark coughed. “Well, Lois. I couldn’t help it.” Clark knew it was a terrible excuse but how else could he explain why he had not been in the crowd. Also, it sort of, almost, explained how he had come across Tess Mercer in the alley if he’d left the Press Conference by a side door.

Thinking of the alley Clark’s mind wandered to the object in his pocket. Tess Mercer had said that he’d know what to do with it. Actually she had referred to it as stones, plural not single. She had also called him Kal-El. Did she know who he was? Maybe not. She seemed to have no recollection of the conversation in the alley when I asked her afterwards. Also, it was almost as if someone else were talking through her. But who?

His thoughts were interrupted by a loud squeal from across the table.

“Aaaaaaah.” Lois’s voice was high pitched and full of excitement. She was staring at her computer screen. “Pictures!”

Lois stared at her screen as the pictures of the new red and blue superhero downloaded. How did a wet-behind the ears intern manage to be the only one to get decent pictures? Not that it mattered WHO had got them in the end, at least there were pictures. Lois just stared at them, a dreamy smile on her face. Oh, snap out of it Lane, you were just a passing save for him, she bereted herself.

Scrolling through the pictures she stopped on one that was a full body shot. He was carrying a young girl in his arms and looking down at her with such compassion in his face. Lois followed the line of his arms and noticed the power in his muscles, yet the girl was being held so tenderly. This man, this god, this superhero, had such abilities - yet cared. Lois’s heart melted.

She moved onto the next picture. It was a close-up of his face. Her breath caught as she stared into bright blue eyes looking slightly off centre. He obviously hadn’t been looking at the photographer. She tried to memorise every line. The strong jaw, the high cheekbones and a proud forehead partially covered by hair flopping over in a gentle wave. Again, she felt a familiarity about the face, as if she’d seen it once before. She racked her brains but it was like remembering only half the first line of a song, and until you remembered the other half of the line the Title wouldn’t come. She wanted the Title. She needed the Title. Superman was a good name for a superhero but Lois was sure there was another name under the suit.

Tapping through more pictures she made it to the last one. He was taking off, flying away. Lois remembered that feeling, she had dreamt about it all night. She stared at the cape billowing a little, revealing the object of her obsession over the last week; the perfect ass.

How could I have thought that it was Clark? Of course I’m not going to fancy a Smallville farm-boy. Such a perfect behind could only belong to a superhero. But ... wait a moment ... that means Superman was here, in civilian clothes, last Monday.

She stood up in shock at that thought. Taking a deep breath to try and steady her pounding heart she looked around the room, as if expecting to see him. Her eyes eventually fell on Clark. He was staring up at her with concern on his face.

“Are you okay Lois?” he asked. Pull yourself together Lois.

“I’m fine, just need a glass of water,” she replied.

“Water?” Clark started at her in surprise. “Don’t you mean coffee? Sit down Lois, I’ll get it for you.”

Lois lowered herself back into her chair and watched Clark stand and walk over to the coffee urn. She turned back to her screen to see the picture of Superman still showing. Glancing back to Clark, making her coffee, her eyes widened a little. My goodness are they similar, no wonder I thought it was Clark for half a week. She flicked her eyes back and forth then furrowed her brow. Eventually she shook her head.

Lane, that is the most ridiculous thought you’ve ever had.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark rested peacefully on the couch at home that night. Pictures of Superman had been flying round the whole building most of the afternoon and no-one had challenged him about his similar looks. Maybe this will work, he thought. A frown came to his face.

Superman, who thought of that name? Superman! There’s something ... grandiose ... about the name, how can I live up to that? I’m completely new at this.

Clark began to wish that he’d grown up knowing all about his origin, knowing about his powers, using them. Maybe he’d feel more confident about being a superhero if it hadn’t been only one week since the earth-shattering revelations had started.

Clark let his head drop back until it met the resistance of the back of the couch. He closed his eyes and spent a few moments in regretful wishing. He felt a vibration in his pocket and the crystal felt warm even through his clothes but he didn’t move. His breathing slowed and he found himself drifting off.

“Your parents weren’t exactly from around here.”
Clark frowned. His father had said those words to him last week, why did this feel like a distant memory?

“I know that I told you keeping your secret wasn’t hard, but I lied. I walk around every day afraid that I’m going to slip up.”
“You don’t have to move away, you don’t have to change your whole life, there got to be a way. No-one even has to know we’re friends.”
No, that’s not right. Pete just moved away when his mom left.

“You’re a good friend Chloe.”
“Obviously not good enough.”
“There were so many times I wanted to tell you.”
“Clark I don’t blame you. Loose lips sink ships and god knows I’ve sunk my share of flotillas.”
Wanted to tell Chloe what?

“I guess it’s time then.”
“I’m sorry.”
“Come here, sit down. Clark I know you’re blaming yourself but this was not your fault.”
“How can you say that? I went back to save Lana and now Dad’s gone.”
“Do you think you could have chosen between them if you’d had the chance? Clark, a heart beats only so many times in a life. Your father used his more than anyone I know.”
“I just don’t know how I’m supposed to be the man he wanted me to be ... without him here.”
“You’re his son. You know what’s right and wrong whether your father is here with us or not. You’re a man he’s proud of; a man he could look up to. And something tells me he won’t be the only one.”

Clark awoke with a start. “No,” he screamed. “Dad!” he shouted a sped out into the barn. He took the biggest sigh of relief the moment he saw his Dad putting his tools away. He dropped his head to his chest in thankfulness and then sped back to the house. He didn’t want to disturb his father with his thoughts.

Up in his room he walked over to his drawers. Standing, silently, he reached out his hand to the box in front of him. Trembling, slightly, he opened the box and looked at the pile of blue beads hidden within.

You saved him. I still have my father because of you. Thank you, Chloe.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments are over here.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."